2022 Advanced Racing Thread (Read 497 times)

Fishyone

Fishy - getting into the heavy stuff already with JD! Those 1K repeats are brutal as part of the long run. I find I need to be way further into the cycle before I can complete that workout. His I pace can sometimes feel like a sprint when you're just starting your cycle, even adjusted for fitness.

JMac- Thanks, it's reassuring to know that not hitting that last 1K isn't that big of a deal. My standard "speed" workout has always been 800's so stretching a bit to 1K was rough.

Hoping that the storm forecast for Saturday turns out to be rain and not 2 feet of snow! I can handle the cold weather but snow really screws up my commute runs and complicates the weekly long runs. 

5K 18:36 (2023), 10K 39:40 (2022), 1/2 1:24:37 (2023), full 2:58:36 (2015) 

JMac11

RIP Milkman

Marby - good to see you back, and I didn't know people in your part of the world even get COVID! I will say one week off always takes me 3-4 days to feel strong again in the legs, but it comes back quickly.

Fishy - agreed on the snow, really need this thing to move way east and turn it into a non-event (or a rain/mix). I was planning on doing my long run Saturday morning, which won't be possible in that type of weather. Very frustrating.

5K: 16:37 (11/20)  |  10K: 34:49 (10/19)  |  HM: 1:14:57 (5/22)  |  FM: 2:36:31 (12/19) 

CommanderKeen

Cobra Commander Keen

Hermosa - I'm jealous of your treadmill's capabilities. I'd absolutely love the ability to set specific speeds for different intensities and switch with one button press rather than the manual procedure on mine. As is, the main screen on mine that should show pace/distance/etc. no longer shows anything - I just have the smaller ones that show speed and incline above those adjustment buttons.

JMac - I'll have to get a picture of the dog (lab/heeler mix), it seems I don't have one on my phone.

5k: 17:58 11/22 │ 10k: 37:55 9/21 │ HM: 1:23:22 4/22 │ M: 2:56:05 12/22

Upcoming Races:

OKC Memorial 5k - April 27

Bun Run 5k - May 4

Running Problem

Problem Child

Marby - good to see you back, and I didn't know people in your part of the world even get COVID! I will say one week off always takes me 3-4 days to feel strong again in the legs, but it comes back quickly.

I really hope you're not serious about this.

Marby I just had to watch both my kids (4 and 1) for a week because they were exposed. If your's are actually sick I hope they get better soon. The only ones I've known about locally getting it said the kids didn't have much more than a runny nose. Mine had literally no symptoms so they either didn't have it, I'm stupid, or being outside a lot was the cure.

Many of us aren't sure what the hell point you are trying to make and no matter how we guess, it always seems to be something else. Which usually means a person is doing it on purpose.

VDOT 53.37 

5k18:xx | Marathon 2:55:22

HermosaBoy

Hermosa - I'm jealous of your treadmill's capabilities. I'd absolutely love the ability to set specific speeds for different intensities and switch with one button press rather than the manual procedure on mine. As is, the main screen on mine that should show pace/distance/etc. no longer shows anything - I just have the smaller ones that show speed and incline above those adjustment buttons.

There are also three buttons for incline.  Smile

We spent a bit of money to get a decent one when we bought it. I think we have definitely got our money's worth out of it.

And you can quote me as saying I was mis-quoted. Groucho Marx

Rob

darkwave

Mother of Cats

There are also three buttons for incline.  Smile

We spent a bit of money to get a decent one when we bought it. I think we have definitely got our money's worth out of it.

Which one do you have?  Landice seems to have the majority here.

WRT to treadmill quick change buttons - my treadmill has two programmable buttons on handles that extend out from the dashboard - really nice for interval runs - I've programmed the left for my recovery pace/incline and the right for my speed pace/incline - goes with the brakes being on the left and the gas pedal on the right.

Those handles each also have little dials that you can move with your thumb to adjust pace/incline - it's a little different from the standard treadmill set up of up/down buttons, but you get used to it really quick, and then you are hooked (or at least I am).

The one issue is that apparently the handles are right where taller runners swing their hands, and so those runners sometimes tap the handles (and if they hit the dials, change the speed or incline).  I'm short and my hands swing well below the handles, so no issue for me.

Everyone's gotta running blog; I'm the only one with a POOL-RUNNING blog.

And...if you want a running Instagram where all the pictures are of cats, I've got you covered.

Man, all you guys with your fancy treadmills and wishing there was no snow and here I am praying it dumps so I can go run in it! I love running in the snow, always have!

Next Races: Fools Run 10 mile (4/2/22), York Marathon (5/15/2214/23), Stupid Marathon TT (June 2022)

HermosaBoy

Which one do you have?  Landice seems to have the majority here.

WRT to treadmill quick change buttons - my treadmill has two programmable buttons on handles that extend out from the dashboard - really nice for interval runs - I've programmed the left for my recovery pace/incline and the right for my speed pace/incline - goes with the brakes being on the left and the gas pedal on the right.

Those handles each also have little dials that you can move with your thumb to adjust pace/incline - it's a little different from the standard treadmill set up of up/down buttons, but you get used to it really quick, and then you are hooked (or at least I am).

The one issue is that apparently the handles are right where taller runners swing their hands, and so those runners sometimes tap the handles (and if they hit the dials, change the speed or incline).  I'm short and my hands swing well below the handles, so no issue for me.

Yours sounds very nice! I wouldn't have a problem with the handles - I'm short...

I have the Life Fitness T5 -- It's 7 years old and is doing great.

Rob

Fishyone

Man, all you guys with your fancy treadmills and wishing there was no snow and here I am praying it dumps so I can go run in it! I love running in the snow, always have!

Coach, I don't like running with any sort of bad traction.  I don't like beach running either.....I suppose that's why I doubt I'll pick up ultra's or other trail stuff.

Funny I enjoy hiking, skiing..........

5K 18:36 (2023), 10K 39:40 (2022), 1/2 1:24:37 (2023), full 2:58:36 (2015) 

darkwave

Mother of Cats

Yours sounds very nice! I wouldn't have a problem with the handles - I'm short...

I have the Life Fitness T5 -- It's 7 years old and is doing great.

I've read great things about those and love the Life FItness machines that I've used in gyms. The sticking point for me was that I needed a folding treadmill, and the only folding treadmills that met all of my other requirements (CHP, belt size, speed and incline) were Horizon, Nordictrack, and Sole.

CHHB- like others, I hate slipping around.   And then there's the fact that snow on the ground doesn't stay snow, but changes to ice

Everyone's gotta running blog; I'm the only one with a POOL-RUNNING blog.

And...if you want a running Instagram where all the pictures are of cats, I've got you covered.

DW and Fishy: I get it, it's not for everyone. My happy place is an empty road with 3-4 inches of snow on it. The silence, save for the crunch beneath my feet, provides time for reflection. I enjoy the challenge, pace be darned, and the beauty of it! I'll put on the ski goggles if it's still snowing and smile for an hour or so while I make fresh tracks!

I'll take that over a dreadmill any day. I tried to run indoors a couple times. Nope. I'll just layer up and make it work outside.

Next Races: Fools Run 10 mile (4/2/22), York Marathon (5/15/2214/23), Stupid Marathon TT (June 2022)

JMac11

RIP Milkman

Coach - that does sound wonderful. If I had that as an option, I would love it too!

DW - you never answer my questions for you 

RP - I'm going to add you to the troll list. Cal whenever CIM is mentioned, JT whenever Bekele is mentioned, and you whenever COVID is mentioned. My bat signal is definitely short courses.

5K: 16:37 (11/20)  |  10K: 34:49 (10/19)  |  HM: 1:14:57 (5/22)  |  FM: 2:36:31 (12/19) 

CommanderKeen

Cobra Commander Keen

Hermosa - Three buttons for incline?? What's the third one for? Mine is old enough that it only does full-percentage point increases. I bet yours adjusts in .5% increments, too!

I need to get some pictures of the treadmill mod the husband of one of my cousins did to post here. He took an older treadmill (Sole?) and completely dismantled the console in order to take out the displays and buttons. He then hand-crafted a custom wooden console and took the opportunity to position the buttons and cup holders more to his liking, along with a custom mount for tv or tablet. SUPER slick.

Coach - Your snow-covered roads for reflection are my dirt/gravel roads (that are very rarely covered with snow).

5k: 17:58 11/22 │ 10k: 37:55 9/21 │ HM: 1:23:22 4/22 │ M: 2:56:05 12/22

Upcoming Races:

OKC Memorial 5k - April 27

Bun Run 5k - May 4

HermosaBoy

Hermosa - Three buttons for incline?? What's the third one for? Mine is old enough that it only does full-percentage point increases. I bet yours adjusts in .5% increments, too!

Yup, .5 increments.

I use them for normal, medium and high inclines. I don't use the incline too often, but if I do, I might do a longer climb with the first half at medium and then kick it up for the last portion.

Others may have better ideas.

Rob

Coach - Your snow-covered roads for reflection are my dirt/gravel roads (that are very rarely covered with snow).

We have gravel too, so if snow isn't available for me (which it rarely is in South Central Pa), gravel is my close second. Fun part is, gravel usually coincides with some mega sized hills :-)