2022 Advanced Racing Thread (Read 497 times)

CommanderKeen

Cobra Commander Keen

Steve - Well within 1m, or likely less than 1 sec, depending on how you wanted to look at it - I was mid HMe interval at the time. Despite it being pre-dawn I was highly visible (light-colored clothing, reflective, bright headlamp, standing under streetlamps, plus his headlights). Guy was coming towards me, I moved to the outside of the intersection to give him more room and he turned that direction giving no indication at all. I was able to dodge him, but was well within an arms-reach of the truck until I was past his bumper.
    DW hasn't heard about this one.

5k: 17:58 11/22 │ 10k: 37:55 9/21 │ HM: 1:23:22 4/22 │ M: 2:56:05 12/22

Upcoming Races:

OKC Memorial 5k - April 27

Bun Run 5k - May 4

Marky_Mark_17

my team was in the Men’s Super Masters division, based on all runners aged 50+. (Team name: Masters of the Universe.)  

This is so much win.

3,000m: 9:07.7 (Nov-21) | 5,000m: 15:39 (Dec-19) | 10,000m: 32:34 (Mar-20)  

10km: 33:15 (Sep-19) | HM: 1:09:41 (May-21)* | FM: 2:41:41 (Oct-20)

* Net downhill course

Last race: Waterfront HM, 7 Apr, 1:15:48

Up next: Runway5, 4 May

"CONSISTENCY IS KING"

SteveChCh

Hot Weather Complainer

Steve - Well within 1m, or likely less than 1 sec, depending on how you wanted to look at it - I was mid HMe interval at the time. Despite it being pre-dawn I was highly visible (light-colored clothing, reflective, bright headlamp, standing under streetlamps, plus his headlights). Guy was coming towards me, I moved to the outside of the intersection to give him more room and he turned that direction giving no indication at all. I was able to dodge him, but was well within an arms-reach of the truck until I was past his bumper.
        DW hasn't heard about this one.

Wow.  I get pretty nervous sometimes that it only would take someone to not pay attention for a second, or be a complete d!ckhead like that guy for dire consequences.  Most of my runs are on paths thankfully but I'm still on the edge of town so occasionally run on country roads with no shoulder, and it's been so wet this year that stepping off the road can be a problem.  A couple of times I've had people deliberately swerve or speed up temporarily when I'm crossing in front of them just to scare me rather than actually hit me.  I don't know about other runners but when I'm on heightened alert and something like that happens, or a dog attacks me, I go from 0 to 100 in a split second and get very angry.  I've even kicked a car once...in normal life I'm pretty calm and it takes a lot to get me that angry.  I think I mentioned on here the time last year when 2 schoolkids in Hagley Park thought it would be funny to shadow box/throw actual punches in my direction as I went past.  Boy did I flip out, I sprinted straight back at them ready to unleash.  One of them almost cried and said sorry, and the other one kind of laughed.  I don't think I'd have actually beaten up some kids (15-16) but I did tell them I better not see them on my next lap.

Very glad you got through that near miss.  Really have to wonder what he was thinking.

5km: 18:34 11/23 │ 10km: 39:10 8/23 │ HM: 1:26:48 9/23 │ M: 3:34:49 6/23

2024 Races:

Motorway Half Marathon February 25, 2024 1:29:55

Christchurch Half-Marathon April 21, 2024

Selwyn Marathon June 2, 2024

Dunedin Half Marathon September 15, 2024

Marky_Mark_17

Wow.  I get pretty nervous sometimes that it only would take someone to not pay attention for a second, or be a complete d!ckhead like that guy for dire consequences.  Most of my runs are on paths thankfully but I'm still on the edge of town so occasionally run on country roads with no shoulder, and it's been so wet this year that stepping off the road can be a problem.  A couple of times I've had people deliberately swerve or speed up temporarily when I'm crossing in front of them just to scare me rather than actually hit me.  I don't know about other runners but when I'm on heightened alert and something like that happens, or a dog attacks me, I go from 0 to 100 in a split second and get very angry. 

Yup.  Most of my running is on footpaths but there are a few areas where I run on the shoulder or cross roads and every now and then a driver will behave like a total idiot.  I had one guy follow me in his ute (truck) because I safely crossed a roundabout well ahead of him - he sped up on his way around the roundabout to try and intimidate me.  He even started videoing me on his phone which was just weird.

It's very annoying when you see that sort of thing because it's dangerous and completely unnecessary.  I know how cyclists must feel sometimes, although some of them can be f%$kwits as well.

Glad you are OK Keen.

3,000m: 9:07.7 (Nov-21) | 5,000m: 15:39 (Dec-19) | 10,000m: 32:34 (Mar-20)  

10km: 33:15 (Sep-19) | HM: 1:09:41 (May-21)* | FM: 2:41:41 (Oct-20)

* Net downhill course

Last race: Waterfront HM, 7 Apr, 1:15:48

Up next: Runway5, 4 May

"CONSISTENCY IS KING"

Running Problem

Problem Child

Dave your recap of Hood to Coast sums up exactly how anyone here would look at a relay. The running part is the easiest for us. Even with no sleep. Staying in the van, getting out to cheer runners, trying to sleep somewhere, etc. becomes the challenge. Glad you had some really good runs,.

EDIT: I enjoy the one in town. It's a hard challenge since I do it with half the number of people. I don't think I actually like the running part of it. I think I do it for the random hanging out on a Friday and Saturday with other people who aren't enjoying themselves.

Many of us aren't sure what the hell point you are trying to make and no matter how we guess, it always seems to be something else. Which usually means a person is doing it on purpose.

VDOT 53.37 

5k18:xx | Marathon 2:55:22

mmerkle

Wow.  I get pretty nervous sometimes that it only would take someone to not pay attention for a second, or be a complete d!ckhead like that guy for dire consequences.  Most of my runs are on paths thankfully but I'm still on the edge of town so occasionally run on country roads with no shoulder, and it's been so wet this year that stepping off the road can be a problem.  A couple of times I've had people deliberately swerve or speed up temporarily when I'm crossing in front of them just to scare me rather than actually hit me.  I don't know about other runners but when I'm on heightened alert and something like that happens, or a dog attacks me, I go from 0 to 100 in a split second and get very angry.  I've even kicked a car once...in normal life I'm pretty calm and it takes a lot to get me that angry.  I think I mentioned on here the time last year when 2 schoolkids in Hagley Park thought it would be funny to shadow box/throw actual punches in my direction as I went past.  Boy did I flip out, I sprinted straight back at them ready to unleash.  One of them almost cried and said sorry, and the other one kind of laughed.  I don't think I'd have actually beaten up some kids (15-16) but I did tell them I better not see them on my next lap.

Very glad you got through that near miss.  Really have to wonder what he was thinking.

I'm a bit of a different person while running too. I'm in beast mode when I'm running lol. Things like that make me very angry too. I've yelled at people for being ignorant, and whacked a passing car with my arm once, so similar. They slowed down and almost came to a stop so I turned around and stared them down. Then they drove off.

CommanderKeen

Cobra Commander Keen

Steve - I don't think the guy was thinking at all - he was probably just zoning out on his usual drive to work. Which shouldn't make anyone feel better, because the only people driving around that area at that time are bus drivers going to start their route.

Most of my runs are on country roads with no shoulder - most of the time even the ones that are paved don't even have lane markings. I have zero issues out there, even semi trucks (oilfield related) will slow way down so as to not dust me.

I can't say as I've ever had someone deliberately swerve at me for any reason. Out of obliviousness every now and then yes, but not intentional.

5k: 17:58 11/22 │ 10k: 37:55 9/21 │ HM: 1:23:22 4/22 │ M: 2:56:05 12/22

Upcoming Races:

OKC Memorial 5k - April 27

Bun Run 5k - May 4

Pain is my friend

I have always had some good speed. I come from a road back ground of many sub 3 marathons. I just haven't done marathon training in 10 yrs. Fast road runners can beat most trail runners. Just add some trail running. Most trail runners do too much vert. When then hit the flats, they can't keep up. I do more runable trail running than the killer steep.

I pushed my speed work too hard last week and paid for it. I was doing 8x3min on 2 min off at 6:10-:6:20 pace. Body was tired for 4 days.

M-10 progressive. Started at 8:17  and finished at 6:39

T- easy 8

W- 8x3 min 2 off @6:10-6:20.

Th- 8

F- easy 7.5

S- 17.5 miles with 4 mile tempo at 6:50 pace (all on a flat ish road. Was too hot and Hammy hated me. Had to stop and stretch it many times.

62 miles for the week.

I am feeling better this week.

Krash welcome back. Your runs are always impressive to me. It's actually cool to see you go from being such a mountain runner to road speed so easily. After training for my 50 miler I was afraid I'd lose a lot of speed or focus on how to train for road races.

ATY 24   141.445 2019 1st

Bear 100 22:08 2021 

Jackpot 100 Feb 14:59 - 5th

Pulse endurance 48 hr 175.3 miles

Bonnevile Backyard ultra 

Ute 100 Aug

24 hour loop race?

ccoakley

The maddest I have ever gotten while running was during the peak Covid days.  I was plotting out a HM route for a virtual HM and when I got to the park where I had a 3 mi loop planned I found a police officer turning people away.  They were having a drive thru farmer's market and had completely closed the park to ALL pedestrians!!!  I very briefly sized up whether I could outrun the officer but reason prevailed.  I turned around and ran the rest of the way home 1 min/mi faster. 

5k 24:53 (2020) |10k 52:24 (2021) |HM 1:57:14 (2019) |FM 4:24 (2007) |50k 5:57 (2022)

Running Problem

Problem Child

I would have tested it. I can’t outrun a Motorola, but I can outrun some cops.  The problem becomes the route home, and being the ONE runner they’re looking for gets interesting, or challenging. 

‘that time I ran from the cops.  Yes I can outrun a cop. Full disclose: he had like 40 pounds of gear without dedicated running shoes.’

krash it’s kind of funny you said trail runners focus on vert. Pretty sure that’s a ‘west of the Mississippi’ thing.  Also, vert is the only thing I’d really need to work on at this point if I went full trail race mode.  If I want to do a 100 miler I will HAVE to work on hiking. Vertical gain was a BIG priority for me this year because TRT 50 has almost 10k of vert and I was so scared of it. Now I’m trying to get some speed on the roads so I don’t lose it for another PR and possible NYC qualified.

Many of us aren't sure what the hell point you are trying to make and no matter how we guess, it always seems to be something else. Which usually means a person is doing it on purpose.

VDOT 53.37 

flavio80

Intl. correspondent

I will say one thing about Spain though. There’s something about Spanish cuisine that just does not work for me.

First of all they start LATE due to their silly timezone (They should be in the UK timezone).

Second of all, there are plenty of times when a restaurant is open but their kitchen is not. You can have a drink or eat one of those small sandwiches on top of the bar counter but the kitchen is not open.

It’s mind blowing how the hell can a restaurant be open if the kitchen is not open.

Ok, that was a big exaggeration, but we did get a bit unlucky in our selection of restaurants. I remember in Madrid we sat down for a paella, this dude in running shorts is waiting tables, then he's heating pre-made paellas and it takes forever like 30 minutes. We could have gotten the real deal in another restaurant if we wanted to wait that long. It tasted horribly as expected.

I had an excellent workout yesterday 2 sets of 5x300 @ mile pace. It went very well and it was nice to run fast. I'm definitely stronger now as compared to when I was training for the 1500m as I could maintain form better on the last reps.

Today I had 60' easy pace so I went to run up that 2 mile hill from the 10k race. I suppose if I run it often enough it won't be as scary on race day.

PRs: 1500 4:54.1 2019 - 5K 17:53 2023 - 10K 37:55 2023 - HM 1:21:59 2021

Up next: some 800m race (or time trials) / Also place in the top 20% in a trail race

Tool to generate Strava weekly

Pain is my friend

Running Problem-When I run a mountain 100 like Bear 100 (22,000 ft, Wasatch 100 (24,000 ft) or Western states I like to run 10-15k a week vert. But I still do a lot of road and runable trails.

krash it’s kind of funny you said trail runners focus on vert. Pretty sure that’s a ‘west of the Mississippi’ thing.  Also, vert is the only thing I’d really need to work on at this point if I went full trail race mode.  If I want to do a 100 miler I will HAVE to work on hiking. Vertical gain was a BIG priority for me this year because TRT 50 has almost 10k of vert and I was so scared of it. Now I’m trying to get some speed on the roads so I don’t lose it for another PR and possible NYC qualified.

ATY 24   141.445 2019 1st

Bear 100 22:08 2021 

Jackpot 100 Feb 14:59 - 5th

Pulse endurance 48 hr 175.3 miles

Bonnevile Backyard ultra 

Ute 100 Aug

24 hour loop race?

Running Problem

Problem Child

I did 10 k once training for Tahoe Rim Trail. 50. It was almost all road, except for a long run in Seattle on trails.  It was actually easier, with working from home and long lunches, to get so much very in a week?  I can get 5,000 ft during the week just with one or two trails at my office. The big difference is weekends. I don’t want to put in so much work on weekends. Time actually becomes a big factor.

VDOT 53.37 

SteveChCh

Hot Weather Complainer

Live stream of Mark's race is here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T4o-cq6dSjU

His race starts in 30 mins.  Not great quality, looks like the only camera is off the back of the lead bike.

5km: 18:34 11/23 │ 10km: 39:10 8/23 │ HM: 1:26:48 9/23 │ M: 3:34:49 6/23

2024 Races:

Motorway Half Marathon February 25, 2024 1:29:55

Christchurch Half-Marathon April 21, 2024

Selwyn Marathon June 2, 2024

Dunedin Half Marathon September 15, 2024

55+ PBs 5k 18:36 June 3rd TT

" If you don't use it you lose it,  but if you use it, it wears out.

Somewhere in between is about right "