2022 Advanced Racing Thread (Read 497 times)

Running Problem

Problem Child

RP - I'm going to add you to the troll list. Cal whenever CIM is mentioned, JT whenever Bekele is mentioned, and you whenever COVID is mentioned. My bat signal is definitely short courses.

Thankfully my trolling ends this year as soon as the election is over. Yeah you read this correctly. I'm predicting COVID 19-22 ends after the elections regardless of who wins.

EDIT:

OOPS,. I might have spoken too soon.

Yes, a new variant of omicron is spreading on at least four continents.

Many of us aren't sure what the hell point you are trying to make and no matter how we guess, it always seems to be something else. Which usually means a person is doing it on purpose.

VDOT 53.37 

5k18:xx | Marathon 2:55:22

jhudak55

Running Problem *liked* this post

RP: Will you be running CIM this year? What's your plan for that NYC qualifier?

Running Problem

Problem Child

Jhudak I'm considering it. I've done well there, and the summer is getting filled with ultras so it makes sense to return to what I know and aim for something small so I can come up big time. I thought about trying at Oakland in March, but I'm enjoying not marathon training too much. My NYC qualifier SHOULD come with time. My only downside would be if work changed my schedule and I could do CIM then Boston in April 2023. Then ideally NYC in the Fall if everything goes perfectly, which is sometimes common for me.

Many of us aren't sure what the hell point you are trying to make and no matter how we guess, it always seems to be something else. Which usually means a person is doing it on purpose.

VDOT 53.37 

5k18:xx | Marathon 2:55:22

Mikkey

Mmmm Bop

Zzzzzz….

5k - 17:53 (4/19)   10k - 37:53 (11/18)   Half - 1:23:18 (4/19)   Full - 2:50:43 (4/19)

JMac11

RIP Milkman

Zzzzzz….

It's January. The most boring month of the year for marathon training. Unfortunately Feburary is probably second. I think this thread is doing very well for a dead time of year!

5K: 16:37 (11/20)  |  10K: 34:49 (10/19)  |  HM: 1:14:57 (5/22)  |  FM: 2:36:31 (12/19) 

Mikkey

Mmmm Bop

Thankfully my trolling ends this year as soon as the election is over. Yeah you read this correctly. I'm predicting COVID 19-22 ends after the elections regardless of who wins.

EDIT:

OOPS,. I might have spoken too soon.

Yes, a new variant of omicron is spreading on at least four continents.

The omicron cold variant is so deadly in NZ that the PM will force household covid contacts to isolate for 24 days! 😂🤡

5k - 17:53 (4/19)   10k - 37:53 (11/18)   Half - 1:23:18 (4/19)   Full - 2:50:43 (4/19)

Marby

Ash

Darkwave: phyisastrist was a new one for me, we must call them something else and had to look it up and what we call it here.  Result: Did you mean: psychiatrist in australia 

Does google have a subconscious?

Z goal is clearly best on ground, man of the match or your local flavour of…and, early call, will be hard to beat when end of year awards are presented.

Ace, Fishy, Coach: Hello.

Keen: That’s one special mile with DD2, I hope she asks again before too long.  What’s the trail race, would love to look it up and get feel for what your up against?

Jhud: Sounds like a good start to the rebuild albeit the achilles, the approach seems really sound. You made really fast improvement last time and sure to do same again as long as you are patient and consistent.  If you get that first LT run done and feel the need for a bit of punishment you could also push the shorter reps a bit harder than LT.  Loving the 2:50 goal, have you thought beyond Boston and what it might take to make the next step?  I think your potential is limited by imagination and ambition… and maybe a little by physics.

Jmac: 20x200! It turns out we are human after all and can get COVID. Still, at least our shit doesn’t smell.  I’m looking at Daniels, has anyone ever done anything other than 2Q?

RP: Eldest son (13) had some body and head aches. We gave him paracetamol and a covid test.  The paracetamol dealt very effectively with the symptoms, he had some minor sinus congestion for a couple of days. It was only because of a positive test that we all got tested too. Both the others are unvaxxed and had no symptoms at all despite their positive tests. Both parents negative and asymptomatic. If this had happened 3 years ago none of us would have missed a single day of anything.

My local track is hosting a 10k event on Saturday that I’m signed up for. I was able to look up a few entries from the heat I’m in and it looks like most are in 38-41 minute range.  I don’t really know what aim for but I’m hoping there’s a group going at 40 min pace and that will feel okay on the day.  I pretty drank my body weight in gin over the holidays and am carrying a few extra ‘kegs’.  At least I’ll find out where I’m at, get a bit of a wake up call and be able to set some workout paces off it. Summer has really arrived in the last week or so.  In the past I’ve always tried to find the coolest part of the day to run at this time of year, that’s around 5-7am.  This year I’ve played with 9-11am while on holiday and 6-8pm after work now that I’m back.  Anything from 12-4 would be just crazy, we’re talking 95F.  But 6pm when the sun has gone down a bit and it’s more like 85 hasn’t been too bad.  We do get a dry heat, mainly, and there’s been a bit of breeze which gives you really good bang for your sweat. Likewise, starting at 9am when it’s 75 and warms to more like 85 during the run hasn’t been horrible.  I’d nearly say I’ve been enjoying it, doesn’t sound nearly as bad as what you guys have to work with.  My garmin, which I have complete faith in, has my heat acclimation at 100%. Four week max and the worst that summer has to dish out is over. How’s that for some other hemisphere contrast!

Next: Ballarat, April 28, Pacing 3:50

Best: 5k 19:46 (Parkrun, 2016), 10k 40:37 (Track, 2022), Half 1:26:41 (2016), Full 3:00:23 (2021)

darkwave

Mother of Cats

DW - you never answer my questions for you 

I'm sorry - I missed it before.

Answer is yes, I'm signed up for the 4M.  Don't have a hotel or train yet (I need to come up the night before).  I'm about 50/50 on doing it - depends on how I feel and also the weather (i.e. I won't come up if it's looking like it might be icy or super frigid).  Good news is that trains and hotels are looking quite affordable right now.

Got my back injected this morning - small bit of a corticosteroid on both sides of L5.  The procedure itself was very easy - the injections hurt less than the flu shot, and the whole procedure was 10 minutes of laying on a table waiting for the doctor, about 90 seconds of injections, and 15 minutes wait afterwards before I could drive home.  My back is slightly sore now, but less than after a heavy lifting session.  I'm allowed to do anything I want tomorrow, including hard running, with the exception of swimming or pool-running (unless I can find a water-proof bandage).

JHudak - The point of the injection is to see if it improves things - if I see substantial improvement over the next 2-3 weeks, that's an indication that I had irritated nerves at L5 that were causing my issues (because any inflammation in the area should be reduced by the shot).  I noted a slight increase in the leg clumbsiness right after the injections - which could indicate that this location is indeed at least partially the issue.

Everyone's gotta running blog; I'm the only one with a POOL-RUNNING blog.

And...if you want a running Instagram where all the pictures are of cats, I've got you covered.

JMac11

RIP Milkman

DW - that sounds good on the race. Ice definitely will not be an issue: the roads in CP are so heavily salted I've literally never seen a single patch of ice on the main roadway in the 7 years I've been running in there seriously. Frigid can definitely be a concern. Luckily the race starts at 9 am which gives us some room. I would define "frigid" for that time of year to be anything below 20, but most of the time it should be in the 20s for race time.

Marby - For us in the summer, the absolute no go time for running is 10 to 4, as the sun peaks at 1 PM and generally that 3 hour window around it is awful for solar radiation. In the really awful periods where we see 80+ and dew points 70+, that generally extends to 9 to 5.

For Daniels, no, the other plans are kind of crap (at least in the third edition). I think he just put out a 4th edition, I have no idea what's in there. In the 2nd edition, his Plan A and Elite (or whatever it is called) both have merit. I would say his 2Q fits between A and Elite.

5K: 16:37 (11/20)  |  10K: 34:49 (10/19)  |  HM: 1:14:57 (5/22)  |  FM: 2:36:31 (12/19) 

runethechamp

Turns out my achilles issue was/is more than a little nag. Just kept getting a little worse. It's quite frustrating that a 2-3cm area of the body can halt your progress. Went to PT last week. Other than the obvious achilles issue my right ankle is apparently quite lax. This may have led tot he achilles issue as on the misstep onto the bridge I lacked the ankle stability and put more load into the achilles? I'm working on cross training and mixing in some running. Got up to 55 minutes of run/walk on Saturday. Currently running from 7:00-9:00 doesn't really make a difference in the pain, it's just the duration of running. Anything more than 15-20:00 running brings the pain back. Hopefully a few weeks will do the trick. Obviously not running my half marathon this weekend and I may need to change Napa to the HM, but we'll wait to make that call.

Ace, other people might have more experience with specific achilles tendon injuries, but my hamstring tendon injury definitely gave me a hard lesson in what ignoring or trying to work through a tendon injury can do. If you have tendinitis from a small misstep, my advice is to give it the week or two it needs to heal. If you keep loading and re-injuring over and over again, before you know it you are into tendinopathy territory, and possibly months of rehab and rest instead of a couple of weeks (took me 13 months to be all clear). Maybe the achilles is more resilient than hamstring tendons, just wanted to give you a heads up.

5k: 20:32 (1/17)  |  HM: 1:34:37 (2/18)  |  FM: 3:31:37 (3/18)

Getting back into it

Fishyone

Hi Marby- I'll take my 15F Lunch run today over 85 any day.  Now the other 22 hours I want to be in your Hemisphere! Advantages to COLD runs are I don't feel the need to bring hydration or stop at water fountains and I can regulate body temp by removing layers etc.

Ace, Fishy, Coach: Hello.

My local track is hosting a 10k event on Saturday that I’m signed up for. I was able to look up a few entries from the heat I’m in and it looks like most are in 38-41 minute range.  I don’t really know what aim for but I’m hoping there’s a group going at 40 min pace and that will feel okay on the day.  I pretty drank my body weight in gin over the holidays and am carrying a few extra ‘kegs’.  At least I’ll find out where I’m at, get a bit of a wake up call and be able to set some workout paces off it. Summer has really arrived in the last week or so.  In the past I’ve always tried to find the coolest part of the day to run at this time of year, that’s around 5-7am.  This year I’ve played with 9-11am while on holiday and 6-8pm after work now that I’m back.  Anything from 12-4 would be just crazy, we’re talking 95F.  But 6pm when the sun has gone down a bit and it’s more like 85 hasn’t been too bad.  We do get a dry heat, mainly, and there’s been a bit of breeze which gives you really good bang for your sweat. Likewise, starting at 9am when it’s 75 and warms to more like 85 during the run hasn’t been horrible.  I’d nearly say I’ve been enjoying it, doesn’t sound nearly as bad as what you guys have to work with.  My garmin, which I have complete faith in, has my heat acclimation at 100%. Four week max and the worst that summer has to dish out is over. How’s that for some other hemisphere contrast!

5K 18:36 (2023), 10K 39:40 (2022), 1/2 1:24:37 (2023), full 2:58:36 (2015) 

JMac11

RIP Milkman

Always so hard to determine which weather to complain about. I still think I prefer the summer. But April/May are by far my favorite times of year for running. Nice long days, humidity hasn't started yet, everything in bloom. You just can't beat it for training.

Hi Marby- I'll take my 15F Lunch run today over 85 any day.  Now the other 22 hours I want to be in your Hemisphere! Advantages to COLD runs are I don't feel the need to bring hydration or stop at water fountains and I can regulate body temp by removing layers etc.

Always so hard to determine which weather to complain about. I still think I prefer the summer. But April/May are by far my favorite times of year for running. Nice long days, humidity hasn't started yet, everything in bloom. You just can't beat it for training.

Around here spring means wind, rain, and 40 degrees. Yuck.

Fall is one of the best running seasons. Good temps, leaves changing, and cross country! Of course, hard to beat that snowy run we discussed earlier.

Next Races: Fools Run 10 mile (4/2/22), York Marathon (5/15/2214/23), Stupid Marathon TT (June 2022)

AceHarris

Rune: Thanks for the heads up. I remember you dealing with that damn hamstring forever. I feel like I'm progressing, just slowly. Over the last week I've essentially been able to add 10 minutes to my runs. That's moving in the right direction, even if it's not as quickly as I'd like. If I stop progressing I too think some dedicated time off would be smart.

PT recently did some iontophoresis with dexamethasone. Basically using electrical current to administer steroid to inflamed tissue. That seemed to help. Personally, I'm working on being okay with delaying goals. Pretty sure Napa 26.2 will be off the table. Maybe able to do the half. I'll go either way to visit my brother. That'll essentially move me to a fall goal marathon, hopefully NYC.

I'm discovering the only thing more boring than running on a treadmill is chatting with e-friends about running on a treadmill, 

dwave: I hope that injection provides some clarity. Lower extremity problems that are originating in the spine can be quite frustrating.

RP: Last year was a great year for progress for me (and you too obviously). We just need to find a marathon to both go under 2:50.

Okay, I've procrastinated some work long enough. Back to the real world.

Road Mile: 5:19 (2017), 5k: 17:09 (2021), 10k: 35:54 (2021), HM: 1:21:55 (2020), M: 2:53:18 (2021)

Mikkey

Mmmm Bop

Sorry Milkman for posting another non running topic (I’ll try and make this my last)....but let’s talk tennis!!!

I’ve been following the Australian Open and loving the Russian..Daniil Medvedev!  He’s through to the final on Sunday and I love him. He just comes across as a real person with no bullshit and not scared to confront the umpire.

Cal - I can’t imagine you ever playing tennis....but surely you’re excited?!!