2022 Advanced Racing Thread (Read 497 times)

mmerkle

CommanderKeen: Your mileage always amazes me. I'd be happy to hit 75 a few times this fall. Maybe I need more time to work my way up.

Dave: I only listen to music when on the treadmill because that's miserable without it. Otherwise I agree, too much effort to carry another thing. I have no problem letting my mind wander when I have scenery. Plus it's good to listen for cars and cyclists etc.

Oh yes I do have the same treadmill exception. It's rare that I use one, only sometimes when traveling.

BTW - today I ran an easy 8 miles, as the air was a bit better although still sort of borderline. But it was noteworthy because moving time was equal to elapsed time, and I never looked at my watch. Not a LR, but still! 

Dave

JMac11

RIP Milkman

Dave - I almost always run with music, but funny enough my headphones died about 8 miles into my 22 on Sunday. I ended up really enjoying the run, although where I run (Prospect Park in Brooklyn) there's so much going on that you actually get to enjoy other stuff. After my headphones were off, I passed by so many different cultures throwing parties with music (African drums, a quinceanera, a graduation party, etc.) that it was interesting to hear that instead of my music. As much as I love getting out NYC to do some nice easy runs in peaceful environments, I actually need something when I'm doing workouts, whether it's other people running or people watching. I've done a few LT runs on suburban streets and it's just so difficult mentally for me.

Keen - I feel like you've been running such high mileage for such a long time now, that I'm not sure how your plan changes now that you're "starting" CIM training. Is it just the type of workouts?

Fishy - not going to hit 100 unfortunately, although maybe in a 7 day period that isn't Monday-Sunday. It would be nice to hit it at least once in my life.

mmerkle - absolutely no form of entertainment has kept me sane on a treadmill. I get very bored after 3 miles, even watching a movie.

5K: 16:37 (11/20)  |  10K: 34:49 (10/19)  |  HM: 1:14:57 (5/22)  |  FM: 2:36:31 (12/19) 

Mikkey

Mmmm Bop

Not sure what the rest of the folks here do, but I never run with headphones. I did early in my running career, but decided that was just one more thing to deal with before a run - making sure I had my device and a means of holding it, keeping things charged, deciding on music/podcast/audiobook, etc. Just wanted to keep it simple. Also I decided that being able to tolerate long stretches of boredom was a good skill for a distance runner. Some people think I'm crazy for going on 3 hour solo runs with nothing but the thoughts in my head. But to each their own.

I’ve always trained with music and have wired headphones (AKG K451) which are reasonably priced and give great bass. I have 3 ipod shuffles with different styles of music in each and will choose according to my mood. I’ve never once felt it an extra chore to keep them charged up and usually it’s my Garmin that I forget to charge. 

However, with big races like London I’ll wait until the morning of the race to decide if I want to listen to music or not as it doesn’t affect my performance. Ran 2013 in 2:51 with no headphones and ran 2016 in 2:51 with headphones.

Registered for Boston today, although I had to supply additional information as apparently my BQ race details didn’t match up or something.

5k - 17:53 (4/19)   10k - 37:53 (11/18)   Half - 1:23:18 (4/19)   Full - 2:50:43 (4/19)

Fishyone

Jmac- Never say never....

Keen- I'm with Jmac- it seems like you've been in a marathon cycle since January!

Dave- I've always loved running with music.  Audiobooks for long slow time killing distance... The main advantage is with work and 2 teenagers I can answer calls and texts while on the road. I had a 3 mile conversation with one of my kids at the end of my long run Sunday. Multi-tasking at its finest.

Mmerk-   Now that you've got the marathon bug you'll be running 75, 85, 95 before you know it.

5K 18:36 (2023), 10K 39:40 (2022), 1/2 1:24:37 (2023), full 2:58:36 (2015) 

Ian5

Jmac-A 20 and 22 in the same week is nuts,hope you walk the wire correctly.

Mikkey-That happened to me,and I had Frankfurt which isn't a small marathon.

Keen-How does the Stryd work? Does the distance show on your watch?

Dave-I use headphones on my long runs about 50% of the time,never bother on short ones any more,and I haven't wore them in a race for 4 years or so.It started when I did an ultra that was no headphones and I found I enjoyed the race more.

5k 17:35,10k 36:43,10m 61:55,HM 1:24:03,Full 3:07:39

cinnamon girl

M: 6 mi (8:34)
                T: 7 mi (8:18)
                W: rest
                T: 3 x 3200m (12:29, 12:46, 13:02) w/3 min rec
                F: 10 mi +260 ft (8:19)
                S: 10 mi +240 ft (7:51)
                S: 90 min (7:56)
                Thursday I wasn’t focused and was unsure about what the workout would bring or how I would feel. And I didn’t think beforehand how much recovery I was going to take – probably should have/could have been more than 3 min. I felt too depleted Sunday and quit around 90 min. I had hunger pains at the start of the run - I blame my irresponsibility on a late start due to watching the elites at 5th Ave.

Steve: from here it looks like straw not hay but I appreciate your focus!

Glancing at the pages of posts I see JMac not advocating for 20 milers and then does 2 in a week. I'm sure you've already been called out on that. Strong work!

Mikkey: I'm looking forward to following your training!

Ian: sounds like you enjoyed yourself post-race after a very decent run.

HermosaBoy - I'm probably talking to myself but if you're out there - how's training going for Twin Cities??

JMac11

RIP Milkman

Glancing at the pages of posts I see JMac not advocating for 20 milers and then does 2 in a week. I'm sure you've already been called out on that. Strong work!

Ha I am advocating against thinking long runs are the be all and end all! Also I botched that run: the cool down was 1.5 miles longer than it should have been, which would have kept me under the 2.5 hours I meant it to be .

The hunger thing in your post is so real - I threw up on a long run last year not from intensity, but rather I was so hungry at the start that after 2+ hours with that pain, my stomach couldn't take it anymore. I've tried to focus on that a lot this year and took a gel for the first time ever on an easy long run this past Sunday because I could feel it was getting to the point. It's amazing how much our body shuts down when we're hungry!

5K: 16:37 (11/20)  |  10K: 34:49 (10/19)  |  HM: 1:14:57 (5/22)  |  FM: 2:36:31 (12/19) 

cinnamon girl

An unanticipated extra mile and a half at the end of the long run - yikes!!

Oh for sure - I really found out how difference gels make for me on a long run last weekend - the hilly 18 I did. I took 2 gels during and it was a HUGE difference. I didn't have anything to drink but just the 2 gels seemed amazing (or maybe I just felt good that day??) Easy long runs I should not need anything but I had little to eat the day before (wine and charcuterie). I actually had two gels in my car but by the time I got to them if I would have taken one it probably would have made me feel worse.

Mikkey

Mmmm Bop

Mikkey: I'm looking forward to following your training!

Be prepared to be amazed. 

I’ve had 3 years of chilling and golfing and I’m now hungry and ready to spring into proper marathon training action again.

5k - 17:53 (4/19)   10k - 37:53 (11/18)   Half - 1:23:18 (4/19)   Full - 2:50:43 (4/19)

cinnamon girl

I’ve had 3 years of chilling and golfing 

I know! I'm concerned! I know what it feels like after 3 years of hardly anything. But I believe in you!

Ian5

Cinnamon-I misread your post and thought you had wine and charcuterie before your run,I was even more impressed then.

Mikkey-What do you think is a reasonable time target?

5k 17:35,10k 36:43,10m 61:55,HM 1:24:03,Full 3:07:39

JMac11

RIP Milkman

Mikkey what's the handicap after this summer? After a wonderful journey all the way down to an 8, I've ballooned back to an 11. I did just shoot my best ever round in Hawaii on a legit course (+6) so that gave me some (false?) confidence that I am back on my way to single digits!

SteveChCh

Hot Weather Complainer

JMac - Yuck, 1.5 miles at the end of some of my long runs would have been a nightmare.  A really good week too, hopefully you can get back to the shape you were in just before that damn injury before CIM last year.

Cinnamon - Definitely hay, as my arm muscles attested to after slinging 80 odd bales!

Headphones - I used to always wear them but lately it's only been on the long runs, with a podcast for 1.5 - 2 hours then music when it gets tough.  Quite rare to wear them in a race now - if I'd chosen a tiny race I'd have been more likely to wear them but I want to feel the atmosphere in Melbourne.  Plus it will be crowded enough to make them potentially dangerous.

Cal - Yes, you are right.  Game on!  That's a huge week so soon after a race.

Flavio - I probably could have called it early but by the time it was really ramping up I had no other way of getting home.  I'll definitely try to maximise serenity in the next few weeks.

Keen - Interesting on the number of long runs.  You do still have much bigger mileage though.  I take magnesium every day.  Maybe I need some emergency salt tablets on me too.  But also will not fixate too much on one crampy run.

Melbourne Marathon has updated the participant list so anyone so inclined can track me on the app and with the below link, which I'm sure I'll re-share in race week:

https://track.rtrt.me/e/MM-NIKEMM2022#/tracker/RYCLB24X/focus

5km: 18:34 11/23 │ 10km: 39:10 8/23 │ HM: 1:26:48 9/23 │ M: 3:34:49 6/23

2024 Races:

Motorway Half Marathon February 25, 2024 1:29:55

Christchurch Half-Marathon April 21, 2024

Selwyn Marathon June 2, 2024

Dunedin Half Marathon September 15, 2024

CommanderKeen

Cobra Commander Keen

Merkle - Thanks. It certainly takes time to build up. I remember when I used to be wiped out for a day after a 16+ mile run, then when I was tired after 70+ per week, and now I get a bit antsy when I'm not running at least that. Kinda strange, actually.

JMac - My mileage will creep up a bit - I'll likely have a few weeks around 100 miles - but other than that I'm mostly changing the pace/efforts of the workouts. I've been doing mostly 5k-10k focused stuff, but that's now trending more toward HM effort and I'm sure some M stuff, too.

5k: 17:58 11/22 │ 10k: 37:55 9/21 │ HM: 1:23:22 4/22 │ M: 2:56:05 12/22

Upcoming Races: