2022 Advanced Racing Thread (Read 497 times)

Mikkey

Mmmm Bop

Mikkey what's the handicap after this summer? After a wonderful journey all the way down to an 8, I've ballooned back to an 11. I did just shoot my best ever round in Hawaii on a legit course (+6) so that gave me some (false?) confidence that I am back on my way to single digits!

I haven’t got an official handicap as we’ve been touring different courses and not members of any specific club. I broke 80 last month (8 over) which was good for me as I’m an old man now Smile

Ian - Boston goal tbd, but I’ll be reading The Secret and I can guarantee that it’s going to be a tailwind on race day. 👍

5k - 17:53 (4/19)   10k - 37:53 (11/18)   Half - 1:23:18 (4/19)   Full - 2:50:43 (4/19)

CalBears

Registered for Boston today, although I had to supply additional information as apparently my BQ race details didn’t match up or something.

What time did you put to your registration, so I could be in the same corral with you (yeah, I know, I have to use my slowest time Smile )

Is your BQ 3:06:15?

paces PRs - 5K - 5:48  /  10K - 6:05  /  HM - 6:14  /  FM - 6:26 per mile

Mikkey

Mmmm Bop

What time did you put to your registration, so I could be in the same corral with you (yeah, I know, I have to use my slowest time Smile )

Is your BQ 3:06:15?

Yes, that’s the best I could manage with all those slow 4 hour endurance walks on the golf course. 

5k - 17:53 (4/19)   10k - 37:53 (11/18)   Half - 1:23:18 (4/19)   Full - 2:50:43 (4/19)

flavio80

Intl. correspondent

Jmac - woah bott training.

Mmerkle - don't listen to these freaks, high mileage is super risky, if you do try to increase mileage be very careful.

Jmac/Cinnamon - how does one get hungry before a run? Do you like forget to have dinner? Is that even a possibility...

If I'm even a tiny bit hungry I have to eat or else mayhem ensues 😁

PRs: 1500 4:54.1 2019 - 5K 17:53 2023 - 10K 37:55 2023 - HM 1:21:59 2021

Up next: no idea

Tool to generate Strava weekly

CommanderKeen

Cobra Commander Keen

Flavio - Interesting. If I'm ever hungry prior to a run (a rarity) that hunger always goes away within the first mile or two.

DWave - I just found out that I should be in Crystal City, VA for work during the second week in January. I knew this was in the general D.C. area, but when looking it up on a map was very pleased to see that it's directly across the Potomac from Hains Point. You don't happen to know of any good running routes in that area, do you?

5k: 17:58 11/22 │ 10k: 37:55 9/21 │ HM: 1:23:22 4/22 │ M: 2:56:05 12/22

Upcoming Races:

Running Problem

Problem Child

I haven’t got an official handicap as we’ve been touring different courses and not members of any specific club. I broke 80 last month (8 over) which was good for me as I’m an old man now Smile

Ian - Boston goal tbd, but I’ll be reading The Secret and I can guarantee that it’s going to be a tailwind on race day. 👍

Did you register as non-binary?

I have to sign up too. Hotel and airfare are booked. I'll be excited to meet up and get some photos. I can photo chop in Cal from our CIM meeting and post it at my desk.

Many of us aren't sure what the hell point you are trying to make and no matter how we guess, it always seems to be something else. Which usually means a person is doing it on purpose.

VDOT 53.37 

5k18:xx | Marathon 2:55:22

mmerkle

Jmac - woah bott training.

Mmerkle - don't listen to these freaks, high mileage is super risky, if you do try to increase mileage be very careful.

Jmac/Cinnamon - how does one get hungry before a run? Do you like forget to have dinner? Is that even a possibility...

If I'm even a tiny bit hungry I have to eat or else mayhem ensues 😁

I've been hungry both before and during runs actually, which is super weird. And I certainly will be careful, but I like the idea of high mileage because I like running, and I'd like to be better at longer distances. I just don't like getting injured obviously.

CalBears

Yes, that’s the best I could manage with all those slow 4 hour endurance walks on the golf course. 

I am already scared! If you ran that time with golf training, imagine what you will do with even half ass running training 

paces PRs - 5K - 5:48  /  10K - 6:05  /  HM - 6:14  /  FM - 6:26 per mile

Running Problem

Problem Child

Melbourne Marathon has updated the participant list so anyone so inclined can track me on the app and with the below link, which I'm sure I'll re-share in race week:

https://track.rtrt.me/e/MM-NIKEMM2022#/tracker/RYCLB24X/focus

DUDE! I have this app already and might be tracking someone else. I'll for sure track you

JMac you ACCIDENTLY added 1.5 miles to a workout? I thought EYE was the dumb one and you were the cute one. Know your role buddy. The front man of the band can't be fooling around. Also, it didn't look like it was a bad workout. Then again, your running always impresses me.

I've been hungry before runs. It sometimes goes away, and I think I carry a gel/snack with me on most runs just to be "safe." I've had some BAD sugar crashes. I start sweating much differently, I kind of get light headed. It just sucks.

I'm currently dealing with AQI bullshit. Foresthill is on fire (Mosquito Fire) and if I didn't  have this run streak I wouldn't be out in the 3-400 AQI. It smells like a camp fire most places. I think yesterday my wife was working in 600+ at her office. The "upside" is it is NOT 97F+ degrees anymore. The smoke almost keeps in the cool air. Sadly, the use of AC is heavy because filtered air. This is why I but the highest rated air filter in May each year. It's easier to have it than try to rush out and buy one at 5:00am when Home Depot opens and has them lining the entire main walkway because they know people are buying whatever they can get their hands on. Yes, a MERV 10 filter DOES make a difference and IS worth the money compared to the cheap $5 ones.

Many of us aren't sure what the hell point you are trying to make and no matter how we guess, it always seems to be something else. Which usually means a person is doing it on purpose.

VDOT 53.37 

5k18:xx | Marathon 2:55:22

JMac11

RIP Milkman

Mmerkle - don't listen to these freaks, high mileage is super risky

If you're running under 100 KM per week, are you even running?

5K: 16:37 (11/20)  |  10K: 34:49 (10/19)  |  HM: 1:14:57 (5/22)  |  FM: 2:36:31 (12/19) 

flavio80

Intl. correspondent

If you're running under 100 KM per week, are you even running?

I identify as a hobby jogger 😎

flavio80

Intl. correspondent

Flavio - Interesting. If I'm ever hungry prior to a run (a rarity) that hunger always goes away within the first mile or two.

I remember when we spoke about diet and I was impressed by just how little you actually eat to fuel all that running.

Quick math here you ran 147km last week, you spend about 50-60 calories per km at the very least, so we're looking at over 7K calories in a week, 1K per day. On top of your baseline which is probably 2500 (since we're both about the same size). It's quite a lot of calories to consume and IIRC you don't cheat with junk food either.

I suppose your body got used to it.

One thing that I was thinking the other day is that when you're increasing mileage, it's possible that your body craves more calories for a bit while you adapt and then settles back down once you've reached your higher level.

JMac11

RIP Milkman

One thing that I was thinking the other day is that when you're increasing mileage, it's possible that your body craves more calories for a bit while you adapt and then settles back down once you've reached your higher level.

When was the last time Keen ran 0 miles for an extended period of time? He may not even remember what that was like!

I will say when I had my stress reaction last fall, it took a few weeks for my appetite to go down, but it definitely did. I had to tell my wife to stop cooking so much food for dinner. But I definitely don't feel as ravenous now that I'm back at 80+ as I did when I first hit this mileage. I remember in 2019 for CIM, by around 4 PM, the hanger was real. Now, I can usually get by without that pre-dinner snack.

Keen - have you ever tried going out for 20+ miles 4 or 5 hours after a light breakfast, or no breakfast at all? That's when my runs usually blow up at the end because of hunger. If you're able to do 20+ without a breakfast at all, then you really are a calorie freak, and would indicate to me you have absolutely no chance of every truly bonking in a marathon due to gylcogen depletion.

5K: 16:37 (11/20)  |  10K: 34:49 (10/19)  |  HM: 1:14:57 (5/22)  |  FM: 2:36:31 (12/19) 

Pain is my friend

Weekly for period: From: 09/05/2022 To 09/11/2022

Date Name mi km Duration Avg/mi Avg/km Elevation Gain
                              in ft
                              09/05 Getting the wiggles out 10.01 16.10 01:23:10 08:19 05:10 285
                              09/06 3 mile for 3 hours of sleep. Seams fare 3.00 4.83 00:26:05 08:42 05:24 0
                              09/07 Marathon pace on the treadmill. 10.00 16.09 01:15:20 07:32 04:41 0
                              09/08 Run for donuts 7.30 11.75 01:03:15 08:40 05:23 338
                              09/09 Warm up 4.70 7.57 00:38:39 08:13 05:06 302
                              09/09 Pacing Paul at Wasatch 100 22.36 35.97 07:31:17 20:11 12:33 5932

Total distance: 57.37mi

A little back up week. Paced my buddy for his first 100 miler. He got dehydrated and had stomach problems early that slowed him down. I told him to take in more salt but he didn't listen. TM speed work was at 6:53-6:40 pace. 3 Weeks to race day. I don't feel ready. 

ATY 24   141.445 2019 1st

Bear 100 22:08 2021 

Jackpot 100 Feb 14:59 - 5th

St George marathon Oct 2:58

ATY 24 130.969 2022 2nd

Pulse endurance 12 hour 76.22 1ST CR

July Backyard ultra 22 yards Win

Sept Bear 100 24:08

darkwave

Mother of Cats

DWave - I just found out that I should be in Crystal City, VA for work during the second week in January. I knew this was in the general D.C. area, but when looking it up on a map was very pleased to see that it's directly across the Potomac from Hains Point. You don't happen to know of any good running routes in that area, do you?

!!! You won't be too far from me.

Yes, you will have some good routes.  You should have easy access to the Mount Vernon trail, which is fun to run on, though the asphalt is pretty broken up in places.

From Crystal City, it's slightly over 3 miles to Hains Point (it's only a mile as the bird flies, but you ain't a bird).    You'll pick up the MV trail by DCA and take it north to the 14th Street Bridge.  Map here.  Before running on Hains Point, you do want to check this website to ensure it's not flooded (Hains Point is a man-made island that is slowly sinking, so it doesn't take much to flood it).  You also won't be far from the National Mall if you want to run a loop of that just because.

I don't know how long you will want to go, but there is the 16 mile paved "Arlington Loop" that you will have easy access to.  You should be aware that sections of it (especially the Custis trail) will be hilly - rolling hills, with some of them decently steep.

Also be aware that if it snows or ices, the trails may not be clear.

Everyone's gotta running blog; I'm the only one with a POOL-RUNNING blog.

And...if you want a running Instagram where all the pictures are of cats, I've got you covered.