2022 Advanced Racing Thread (Read 497 times)

JMac11

RIP Milkman

Mikkey - I was never a tennis guy at all, just golf. My favorite time of the year of April/May is probably 50% because it means I can golf again! I'm so excited this year as we are going to the golf mecca of the US, Bandon Dunes, in July. I've read so many things about how these older (out of shape) guys talk about how hard it is to walk the course, especially 36 a day. I'll be perfectly prepared having run a marathon just a month prior 

Ace - I've been tracking the NYCM registration almost daily. Still no word. They're going through some lottery for the Brooklyn Half (their third biggest race) in early February. I'm starting to think NYC signup will be after that, so maybe late February? I'll send something out here if I see something.

DW - Let us know how it goes over the next few days, would be amazing if that cures even 75% of what you're dealing with!

5K: 16:37 (11/20)  |  10K: 34:49 (10/19)  |  HM: 1:14:57 (5/22)  |  FM: 2:36:31 (12/19) 

CommanderKeen

Cobra Commander Keen

Marby - I did love that mile. My best one in a long time. She'll have to get over a case of strep with which she just came down before, though.

The race is the "Rose Rock Trail Run" - an inaugural race on trails that are typically closed to runners. The Garmin and Strava heat maps for these areas are literally completely dark. It'll be loops of a (roughly) 5k course.

DWave - How are things feeling after the run today?

5k: 17:58 11/22 │ 10k: 37:55 9/21 │ HM: 1:23:22 4/22 │ M: 2:56:05 12/22

Upcoming Races:

OKC Memorial 5k - April 27

Bun Run 5k - May 4

Mikkey

Mmmm Bop

Mikkey - I was never a tennis guy at all, just golf. My favorite time of the year of April/May is probably 50% because it means I can golf again! I'm so excited this year as we are going to the golf mecca of the US, Bandon Dunes, in July. I've read so many things about how these older (out of shape) guys talk about how hard it is to walk the course, especially 36 a day. I'll be perfectly prepared having run a marathon just a month prior 

WOW!  I just checked out some of the Bandon Dunes photos and it looks like heaven!

5k - 17:53 (4/19)   10k - 37:53 (11/18)   Half - 1:23:18 (4/19)   Full - 2:50:43 (4/19)

darkwave

Mother of Cats

DWave - How are things feeling after the run today?

Thanks to both of you for asking.  The run was nothing spectacular on paper, but it is easily the most enjoyable run I've had in a long time.  I just felt normal.

To explain - running has become this thing where I am constantly worrying about balance/tripping/wobbling - I've been running on pavement or even running tracks with the same amount of focus as someone else who runs on trails with rocks and tree branches.  Just a ton of concentration and care.  Part of it has just been that my legs felt like they just couldn't react quickly - if I caught a toe or a foot landed on a slightly uneven bit of pavement, I was going to fall because I wouldn't be able to react quickly enough to maintain my balance.  And my leg muscles weren't reliably listening to me.  My quads were like wet brakes - I would contract the quad slightly during my running gait, and it would just over-contract and lock up - sometimes, but not always.  Or alternately it wouldn't contract and just feel like it was going to collapse on me.

Today, I just ran.  And there were cracks and manhole covers and bumps on the road, and it was totally fine - for the first time in a long time I could trust my own legs and not worry.  I ran on an uneven sidewalk, and it didn't feel like a gymnastics exercise.

It was really awesome.  I've forgotten what it felt like to just go out and run.

[I should note that this is all very Flowers for Algernon - the shot's effects may only last 3 weeks or so.  We did this shot to try to narrow down the source of the issue, not with the hope that it would be a permanent fix.]

So it seems like this is helping.  Sig other, not helpfully, suggested this might be a placebo effect/wishful thinking.  I honestly don't think so.

I did also try out my new Takumi Sen 8s today, so that could be a confounding variable (though my instability issues have generally been WORSE in supershoes, not better).  Tomorrow's run will be on the treadmill, so a better test with all variables controlled.

As for the Takumi Sen 8s - I like them.  They are a big change from the previous Takumi Sen - best described as kinda like the Adios Pro, but with a lower stack (though still high) and a slight bit of flexibility - much more than most plated shoes.  I can feel the ground in them, which is a big difference from the other plated supershoes.   I like and could see these as a possible marathon shoe for me, but others who prefer more cushion might not like them as much.

Everyone's gotta running blog; I'm the only one with a POOL-RUNNING blog.

And...if you want a running Instagram where all the pictures are of cats, I've got you covered.

CommanderKeen

Cobra Commander Keen

Thanks to both of you for asking.  The run was nothing spectacular on paper, but it is easily the most enjoyable run I've had in a long time.  I just felt normal.

*snip*

[I should note that this is all very Flowers for Algernon - the shot's effects may only last 3 weeks or so.  We did this shot to try to narrow down the source of the issue, not with the hope that it would be a permanent fix.]

*snip*

Freakin' awesome!! Also, enjoy being a running genius for as long as it lasts!

5k: 17:58 11/22 │ 10k: 37:55 9/21 │ HM: 1:23:22 4/22 │ M: 2:56:05 12/22

Upcoming Races:

OKC Memorial 5k - April 27

Bun Run 5k - May 4

HermosaBoy

It was really awesome.  I've forgotten what it felt like to just go out and run.

Always a good thing when it is awesome and easy.

And you can quote me as saying I was mis-quoted. Groucho Marx

Rob

SteveChCh

Hot Weather Complainer

darkwave - Absolutely stoked to hear this.  Long may it continue.

5km: 18:34 11/23 │ 10km: 39:10 8/23 │ HM: 1:26:48 9/23 │ M: 3:34:49 6/23

2024 Races:

Motorway Half Marathon February 25, 2024 1:29:55

Christchurch Half-Marathon April 21, 2024 1:27:34

Selwyn Marathon June 2, 2024

Dunedin Half Marathon September 15, 2024

Marky_Mark_17

Darkwave - HOORAY!

3,000m: 9:07.7 (Nov-21) | 5,000m: 15:39 (Dec-19) | 10,000m: 32:34 (Mar-20)  

10km: 33:15 (Sep-19) | HM: 1:09:41 (May-21)* | FM: 2:41:41 (Oct-20)

* Net downhill course

Last race: Waterfront HM, 7 Apr, 1:15:48

Up next: Runway5, 4 May

"CONSISTENCY IS KING"

JMac11

RIP Milkman

Wonderful news! Even if it doesn't solve it at least the issue is identified. That's gotta be a great step.

My week is done around 55 miles the week. I ran 5 days straight of 11 easy miles. Yawn. My legs do feel surprisingly tired. Not sure why, but I did cut my 17 short to 11 today as I was running on very compact snow (with footsteps in it) that felt like relatively hard work. I also thought I was probably working tendons/muscles I don't usually: it almost felt like trail running with how my ankles were collapsing. Coming back from injury, I didn't think it made sense to push to my planned 17 given that.

5K: 16:37 (11/20)  |  10K: 34:49 (10/19)  |  HM: 1:14:57 (5/22)  |  FM: 2:36:31 (12/19) 

jhudak55

Today, I just ran.  And there were cracks and manhole covers and bumps on the road, and it was totally fine - for the first time in a long time I could trust my own legs and not worry.  I ran on an uneven sidewalk, and it didn't feel like a gymnastics exercise.

This is fantastic news!!!

This week:

Weekly for period: From: 01/24/2022 To 01/30/2022

Date Name mi km Duration Avg/mi Avg/km Elevation Gain
                        in ft
                        01/24 Morning Run 8.05 12.96 01:01:40 07:40 04:45 692
                        01/25 Morning Run 6.20 9.97 00:49:02 07:55 04:55 446
                        01/26 3x Annie’s Hill 7.21 11.59 00:55:21 07:41 04:47 909
                        01/27 Couple rest day miles with Angie 2.16 3.48 00:20:03 09:17 05:46 194
                        01/28 Morning Run 7.42 11.93 00:57:16 07:43 04:48 669
                        01/29 Hardening up. 14.13 22.73 01:56:28 08:15 05:07 1345
                        01/30 Morning Run 5.23 8.42 00:40:48 07:48 04:51 361

Total distance: 50.39mi

Solid week in the cold and snow. Some really cold days in there. Legs feeling fine and ready to keep progressing. Continued hope it stays that way!

Next Races: Fools Run 10 mile (4/2/22), York Marathon (5/15/2214/23), Stupid Marathon TT (June 2022)

HermosaBoy

My week:

Date ▲ Activity Type Distance Duration Pace Notes
                          1/24/2022 Run Easy 7.01 mi 54:04 7:43  
                          1/25/2022 Run Easy 4.0 mi 30:08 7:33  
                          1/26/2022 Run Interval 8.15 mi 58:41 7:13 Paces 2 @ 5:55/mi. 1 @ 5:45/mi. 2x 3 @ 5:45/mi. 3x2 @ 5:30/mi. Starting to feel a bit better at the faster paces. Need to get that 5:30 or faster pace comfortable for about 17 minutes...
                          1/27/2022 Run Easy 7.0 mi 53:29 7:39 Legs a bit tired after runStrong. Did this while watching an HR training for work -- good multi-tasking.
                          1/28/2022 Run Easy 6.84 mi 52:17 7:39  
                          1/29/2022 Run Strides 8.05 mi 58:34 7:17 Good workout while watching the high schoolers at Millrose. Strides worked up to 5:07 pace. Rounding makes it seem faster.....
                          1/30/2022 Run Long 12.1 mi 1:33:26 7:43 Good workout, but it was a struggle. Legs felt pretty dead, so I had to fight to hit the paces. More wood for the fire... Paces on the 30 second portions are impacted by rounding. Most are a bit faster than portrayed.
                          Total     53.16 6:40:38 7:33  

And you can quote me as saying I was mis-quoted. Groucho Marx

Rob

darkwave

Mother of Cats

Thanks guys for all the celebratory comments - I'm really happy to be moving towards an answer.

Coachhbrook- clearly the snow did not stop you (as previously discussed).

Hermosa - I have that same issue with rounding and short timed repeats - just a slight blip in distance and the pace is completely off.  It's a good thing our bodies don't read our training logs!

My week:

60 miles running, 3 hours pool-running, and ~1500 yards swimming.

M: 90 minutes of pool-running and yoga
                            T: 11 miles, including a track workout of 2000, 1200, 2x800, 400 in 8:48, 5:00, 3:16, 3:11, 91 - one lap recovery after each that got way too long in some cases (between 3 and 4 minutes). Followed with leg strengthwork and 500 yards recovery swimming. Dry needling of legs in afternoon.
                            W: 9 miles very easy on treadmill (9:44), streaming yoga and 3 miles very easy outside (9:31) plus drills/strides.
                            Th: 90 minutes pool-running and epidural injection at L5. ART appointment in afternoon.
                            F: 12 miles, including a 4 mile tempo on the roads in 27:27 (6:54/6:57/6:49/6:47), followed by 10 minutes jogging and then 6x200 in 46, 46, 45, 45, 45, and 52 (the last one was long). Followed with leg strengthwork and 500 yards recovery swimming.
                            Sa: 9.5 miles easy on treadmill (9:44), upper body weights/core and then 3 miles very easy outside (9:06) plus drills+strides.
                            Su: 12.5 miles on the treadmill, including a workout of eight repeats of 2 minutes strong at a 3.0 incline, 90 second jog, 30 second stride, and 60 second jog. Followed with leg strengthwork and 500 yards recovery swimming.

As previously discussed, I got an epidural injection of a corticosteroid in my back on each side of the L5 vertebra on Thursday with the goal of trying to locate the source of my issues.  An MRI of my lumbar spine and pelvis doesn't show much of concern, just some slight narrowing/bulging, but MRIs are not always accurate.  So we tried the shot - if I noticed a big difference, then it would confirm that my issue was with the nerves in L5 or lower.

And I noticed a big difference within 24 hours.  I just have much better balance, not just when running but when walking.  I was surprised at how easy it was to walk on a wet tile floor at the pool today - in so many ways my balance and coordination is just so much better.

So that's an answer, and I'm going to enjoy the next few weeks before the shot wears off.  I see the doctor again in mid-February to figure out next steps.

Everyone's gotta running blog; I'm the only one with a POOL-RUNNING blog.

And...if you want a running Instagram where all the pictures are of cats, I've got you covered.

Fishyone

DW- good to hear things are moving forward.  I can't imagine how frustrating it must be be know something is wrong and not be able to find it and fix it!

Coach- Cold and snow were the themes of the week for me too.

Hermosa- Great paces and nice week.

JMac  My long run yesterday was on packed snow and I agree it was HARD work.  I'm more sore today than after some workouts.

Made it through the Boston blizzard and there was absolutely no way I could run outside Saturday.  I did confirm I'm not a treadmill person yet.  Maybe if I had a quality unit in my house but the gym is not my cup of tea.

16 miler was postponed until 2/13. With the snow and cold there was no way they could have safely put on the event. Unfortunately that falls  6 days before a scheduled 20 miler.

Week 12          

Date Name Miles Duration Avg/Mile Notes
                              1/24 Lunch run 11.2 1:36:01 8:34  
                              1/25 AM commute 7.61 1:12:33 9:32  
                              1/25 PM Commute 7.62 1:04:07 8:25  
                              1/26 AM commute 7.65 1:12:10 9:26  
                              1/26 PM Commute 7.6 1:03:31 8:21  
                              1/27 Week13Q2 18.16 2:25:31 8:01 7E + 4 x (2Tw/2min rest)+2E T 7:00Pace
                              1/28 AM commute 7.61 1:09:05 9:05  
                              1/28 PM Commute 7.61 1:02:18 8:11  
                              1/29 Treadmill 7 7 1:00:00 8:34 Blizzard 
                              1/30 Long run 18.3 2:42:17 8:52 Snow, cold

Total: 100.36      

5K 18:36 (2023), 10K 39:40 (2022), 1/2 1:24:37 (2023), full 2:58:36 (2015) 

jhudak55

Coach: I hadn't noticed before, but you have some serious elevation on your runs.

Hermosa: Nice workout! Looks like you were right where you needed to be despite the tired legs.

Fishy: Wasn't this supposed to be a down week? Did you keep mileage high after the 16 miler was cancelled?

DW: Again, great news on the shot! Hopefully the doctor has something specific for you to address once the shot wears off.

My week:
                                60.0 miles

M: 6 miles @ 8:47

T: 10.4 miles @ 8:11 w/ 3 mile LT (6:45, 6:46, 6:50)

W: 7 miles @ 8:31

T: 7 miles @ 8:26

F: 7 miles @ 8:01 w/ 5xk in 4:08 (LT) on TM

S: 7 miles @ 8:26

S: 15.5 miles @ 8:24

Another good week for me of building back mileage and workouts. I would have liked to see faster paces on the Tuesday workout, but I'm just getting back so need to be patient with the fitness. Fridays workout was on a treadmill and seemed too easy, it had me questioning whether the treadmill speed was correct. I felt really good on the first half of the long run, but had to slow down a bit due to some snow/ice on the trail that hadn't melted yet.

Building overall and workout mileage again this week. I'll be at 65 miles for the week with 2x2 mile LT and 6xk workouts if everything goes to plan.