2022 Advanced Racing Thread (Read 497 times)

There is no debate though around the GOAT: Kipchoge > Bekele

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-ZrrWj_y3Mc

As Mark correctly pointed out, you are wrong on this one dictator! Bekele is the undisputed king of 2 of the 3 running disciplines (cross country and track), and Kipchoge of 1 (road marathon running). Last I checked 2 out of 3 wins.

2:52:16 (2018)

Name: Jon

I ran in HS and college, then re-started at age 38 and have run 10 marathons so far. The last 4 were unsuccessful attempts to go sub 2:50; hoping with some cooperation from the weather and injury gods I can get it done this year. JMac you can put me down for the Athens Ohio marathon on April 10 and the Detroit marathon on Oct. 16.

zebano: Glad to see you here!  Looks like a good goal for Twin Cities.

Everyone else: welcome back!

AceHarris

Former RA follower/contributor making a mediocre effort at returning to the island of misfit marathoners. 

Name: Ace

Life: Married with 3 kids (7,5,4), trying to work less and play more

Running History: Running off and on since middle school, did not run in college, returned to running in 2017 and have been fairly consistent since then. First marathon in 2011, swore off marathons but returned to them in 2017. Try to race anything from 5k to 50k. I do a mix of group runs and solo runs. I use a coach in town for my training and have for the last 3 years. I love it. Less thinking, more running. I'm terrible at cross-training, but trying (kind of) to get better.  I had a great 2021 as far as running goes. I raced two 5ks, two 10ks, two 15ks, a 10-miler, and a marathon and set a PR in every race this year. Most importantly, I didn't get injured this year!  I really love this sport and hope to continue it for a long time to come. 

Running Goals for 2022: 

1. Sub 2:50 marathon
        2. Sub 1:20 1/2 marathon
        3. Sub 17:00 5k
        4. Get more time on trails. Maybe do something stupid.

Expected 2022 Race: Napa Marathon (3/6, my brother lives in Napa), NY Marathon (have a qualifying time), and some local 5k to 13.1 races. I won a 10 miler and turkey trot 10k in 2021 and would like to go back and try to repeat those. Would love to try some cross country races in the fall if available. 

I guess I post my past yearly miles here?

2021 - 2107

2020 - 1843

2019 - 1778

2018 - 2018 (most importantly I beat RP to 2,000 and he graciously fulfilled his end of the bet and sent me some beer)

2017 - 1590

Lastly, who has experience in registering for NY with a qualifying time? I've checked NYRR site, but have not found any clarity on registering with a qualifying time. Help appreciated.

Kipchoge >> Bekele

Road Mile: 5:19 (2017), 5k: 17:09 (2021), 10k: 35:54 (2021), HM: 1:21:55 (2020), M: 2:53:18 (2021)

HermosaBoy

I will jump in if you will let me...

Name: Rob

Life: Married, all kids out of the house but I am a high school cross country and track/field coach.

Running History: Was athletic growing up (baseball, football and basketball) but had gotten really out of shape over the years. Took up running in 2003 with a goal to beat someone (somehow succeeded).  First marathon Twin Cities 2003 in 3:59:55 (age 39). Best marathon 2017 CIM in 2:42:39 (age 53.96 - two weeks before I turned 54).

Running Goals for 2022:

1. Get back in shape after a lousy 2020 due to lack of races and coming back from my first running injury in 2021 (4th metatarsal stress fracture).
          2. Race better than I have recently -- lost my mojo.
          3. Sub 2:50 marathon
          4. TBD

Expected 2022 Goal Race: 10/02 -- Twin Cities Marathon

Yearly miles?

2021 - 2171

2020 - 2609

2019 - 3227

2018 - 3362

2017 - 3438

And you can quote me as saying I was mis-quoted. Groucho Marx

Rob

JMac11

RIP Milkman

JT - I can't decide if it's easier to troll you with GOAT talk or cal by saying CIM is a cheater course. We will have to battle that out the rest of this year 

I'll add your races next week when I'm on a laptop. Actually was wondering how you're doing because it looks like mileage is yo-yoing even after your battle with the booster.

Ace - welcome! I mentioned when you last posted that your progress has been very impressive. NYC is on my schedule too. I've registered once via time. I had it through a NYRR race so it was guaranteed, but I've heard for non NYRR it's the same if you just register in the first few days (which is the case for me this year as well. My guess is almost nobody has a NYRR qualifying time this year as they ran no half marathons in 2021). Historically, registration usually starts Jan 15 but who knows with the COVID world we live in now. It will be good if you stick around especially through that cycle.

Hermosa - 2:42 at 54 is insane! That might be the best time we have in this entire thread. You are most certainly welcome! Cal and Mikkey are our resident 50+ group. I'm sure they will echo my welcome.

5K: 16:37 (11/20)  |  10K: 34:49 (10/19)  |  HM: 1:14:57 (5/22)  |  FM: 2:36:31 (12/19) 

HermosaBoy

You are most certainly welcome! Cal and Mikkey are our resident 50+ group. I'm sure they will echo my welcome.

Thanks for the warm welcome!!!

And you can quote me as saying I was mis-quoted. Groucho Marx

Rob

Mikkey

Mmmm Bop

Thanks for the warm welcome!!!

A warm hearty welcome to Hermosaboy as your running history is amazing!

I’m loving the folk with a sub 2:50 goal as that is also my 2022 target!  (no laughing at the back) 🎪

5k - 17:53 (4/19)   10k - 37:53 (11/18)   Half - 1:23:18 (4/19)   Full - 2:50:43 (4/19)

Mikkey

Mmmm Bop

Tyson Fury > Bekele > Kipchoge.

Let’s keep it real. 👍

5k - 17:53 (4/19)   10k - 37:53 (11/18)   Half - 1:23:18 (4/19)   Full - 2:50:43 (4/19)

darkwave

Mother of Cats

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-ZrrWj_y3Mc

As Mark correctly pointed out, you are wrong on this one dictator! Bekele is the undisputed king of 2 of the 3 running disciplines (cross country and track), and Kipchoge of 1 (road marathon running). Last I checked 2 out of 3 wins.

This is the marathoning thread.  Only one discipline counts.

Everyone's gotta running blog; I'm the only one with a POOL-RUNNING blog.

And...if you want a running Instagram where all the pictures are of cats, I've got you covered.

darkwave

Mother of Cats

So now that's it 2022, I'll jump in.

Darkwave - female and 47 years old.  I live in Arlington, Virginia, which is the part of Northern Virginia that is essentially Washington DC without the negatives of living in DC proper.  About 50% of my weekly mileage is run in DC or Maryland, not Virginia.

I started running 14 years ago, at the age of 33, so I'm an adult onset runner.  My previous sport was horses - hunter-jumper to be exact.  If you want to see me riding at the age of 17, it's here.  My PRs as of January 1, 2022:  Mile: 5:25 (2017); 5K: 18:51 (2017); 10K: 38:56 (20:17); 10M: 1:02:28 (2019); Half: 1:24:08 (2019); Full: 2:57:42 (2018).

I'm injury prone and overtrain easily (possibly age, possibly autoimmune stuff) so a fair amount of my training is cross training (pool-running, swimming, yoga, weights), and I run my easy runs very slowly relative to my race paces.    I also have moderate-to-severe asthma (that's what they call it), am allergic to a whole slew of stuff, and have a bunch of auto-immune issues including ulcerative colitis. Currently I'm working through some weird balance/leg coordination/leg weakness issue that everyone thinks is neurological except for the neurologist (who is very good and very attentive and very thorough).

I'm in-house counsel at a large international corporation, where I manage ediscovery and litigation, as well as serving as the legal department's point person for IT.  I telecommute full time and live very close to a track and an indoor pool - very convenient for training.  If you're wondering how I fit stuff in - that's how.

I live with my boyfriend/partner of a decade plus and three cats, all defective (one has severe allergies, the other two are visually impaired).   I also have a treadmill called Fluffy.

And...if you want a running Instagram where all the pictures are of cats, I've got you covered.

mikeymike

For a second I was like wait did Pfitz come out with a 4th edition for 2022? But now I see ...

HNY and good luck to all y'all marathoners in 2022!

Runners run

darkwave

Mother of Cats

I love how on the one thread, everyone dumps off their weeks on Saturday.  And here, we get to it late Sunday/sometime Monday....

My week:

62 miles running, 3 hours pool-running, and ~1500 yards swimming.

M: 80 minutes pool-running and upper body weights/core.
                          T: 11.5 miles, including a track workout of 1600, 4x800 in 7:05, 3:22, 3:20, 3:16, 3:16. 5:30 recovery after 1600; 2:33-3:07 recoveries after 800s. Followed with leg strengthwork and 500 yards recovery swimming.
                          W: Streaming yoga, 8 miles very easy (9:30), 4 miles very easy (9:29) plus drills, four strides, two downhill strides.
                          Th: 1:40 minutes pool-running and upper body weights/core.
                          F: 11.5 miles, with a tempo workout of 6400m in 27:39 (6:59/7:00/6:57/6:43 - short shoe tying stop in middle of tempo). Followed with leg strengthwork and 500 yards recovery swimming.
                          Sa: 9 miles very easy (9:39) plus drills, two strides, two downhill strides and then upper body weights/core plus 3 miles very easy (9:34).
                          Su: 14.5 miles progressive, split as the first 5 miles averaging 9:42 pace, the next 4.5 miles averaging 8:23 pace, and the next 5 miles averaging 7:23 pace, plus a half mile cooldown. Followed with injury prevention work and 500m recovery swimming.

Tuesday's workout was lousy (legs had no power), the rest of the week was better.  I feel like my gait is more stable now - I no long feel like I'm going to fall when I start running.  The legs are just weaker than they used to be.  Based on a review of my running on the treadmill, it seems I have two issues - one is muscles contracting at the wrong time in the stride cycle, the other is a complete loss of hip extension.  I have plenty of flexibility at rest - but I start running and the hips get very tight.  So I'm working a lot on trying to relax my hip and letting it extend behind me as I run.  I've been adding in some gentle downhill strides for just that reason - to work on hip extension.

Shoe news of particular interest to Jmac  - I picked up a pair of Takumi Sen 7s - the last version of the Takumi Sen that is a traditional racing flat.  I was expecting to love them, based on the reviews.  They sounded like everything I like - plastic torsion plate through the mid-foot (like the old Adios Boosts from a few years back), low stack height, boost in the forefoot, really good traction.

And....I HATE them.  They feel awful - to the point where I'm wondering if I got a defective pair (the listed heel-toe drop is 9mm, but they feel like a negative heel-toe drop - like they have less of a heel than my Altra Escalantes).

I've run in them twice - an easy run, and then tried them out for a few 200s after my tempo on Friday.  On Friday, I wore the Adios 6, and finished the tempo with a 6:43 1600.  Then I put the Takumi Sens on, jogged around a few minutes, and tried the 200s - the fastest I could run was 48 seconds for 200.  Part could be my screwy mechanics right now, but the shoes felt awful.  Nothing like the previous Takumi Sen.

Fun Stryd/Runalyze comment for CK - my "running efficiency" score in Runalyze is usually somewhere between .91 and .94.  In the Takumi Sen 7, my "running efficiency" score has ranged between .82 and .87.  Way way low (and low is bad).

Clearly these shoes just don't work for me at all.

Another Kyle here, turning 39 in a few weeks. I used to be decently fast but as you'll see below, my running has been on the back burner due to injuries, life, etc. I do most of my running on hilly backroads of PA or local trails. As I said in a thread earlier, I have never even wanted to run a marathon, but now that I am getting older it seems to be calling to me more. So my goal this year is my first marathon and hopefully a sub 3. I've been a runner/coach since college, ran at D2 Nats with my team back in 2002, and have run probably 30,000+ miles in my lifetime. Needless to say it has been a while since I've been fit and fast(ish). I've done a lot of cycling over the last couple years so hopefully this isn't starting from scratch. Most importantly, I hope to stay relatively injury free and really have the opportunity to enjoy running. I always struggle with my posterior tib tendon on the left foot and the achilles sheath on the right side. I have to be dedicated to prehab and strength training this year!

Yearly Mileage:

2014 - 1083

2015 - 2001

2016 - 601

2017 - 342

2018 - 176

2019 - 788

2020 - 867

2021 - 1052

2022 GOAL - 2000 at least

Prior to 2010 I had several years between 2000-3000 miles.

Weekly Mileage PR - 100 miles

I haven't raced anything longer than 10 miles (55:38 pr), although I did TT a 1/2 November 2020 in 1:26 all by myself (at 4:30am before the State XC Meet).

I love training theory, I love reading, I love coaching (although currently I am "officially" teamless). I'm coaching myself in this process for fun and for the challenge. Ideally I will be able to run the York Marathon in early May, although that is highly dependent on how I respond to training. We will see how it goes!

Next Races: Fools Run 10 mile (4/2/22), York Marathon (5/15/2214/23), Stupid Marathon TT (June 2022)

Weekly for period: From: 12/27/2021 To 01/02/2022

Date Name mi km Duration Avg/mi Avg/km Elevation Gain
                              in ft
                              12/27 Afternoon Run 4.80 7.72 00:36:18 07:34 04:42 322

12/28 Boys run 2021 6.53 10.50 00:50:35 07:45 04:49 453
                              12/29 Sick 2.13 3.42 00:20:11 09:29 05:54 187
                              12/30 Little better 6.03 9.70 00:46:53 07:47 04:50 387

12/31 With wife 2.09 3.37 00:20:11 09:39 05:59 184
                              01/01 Such a beautiful day! 6.22 10.00 00:47:31 07:38 04:45 459
                              01/01 Couple more because she wanted to run too 2.25 3.62 00:22:01 09:47 06:05 197
                              01/02 Morning Run 7.08 11.39 00:57:30 08:07 05:03 735
                              01/02 Lunch Run 2.13 3.42 00:20:01 09:24 05:51 187

Total distance: 39.26

Here's the past week for me. Missed out on my workout opportunity because I was sick. Left posterior tib tendon is a little aggrevated byt nothing too terrible. 

Next Races: Fools Run 10 mile (4/2/22), York Marathon (5/15/2214/23), Stupid Marathon TT (June 2022)

Ace, Hermosa and Coach: Welcome! All three of you are speedsters (now or in the past) and I'm sure you will hit your goals for the year. Like Mikkey said, it's good to have some others shooting for sub 2:50!

JMac: Yes I usually take the bait on the GOAT subject.  I'll concede Kenny had a poor showing at Berlin and NYC. I hope he has another good marathon in him but odds are against it. Regarding the yo-yoing mileage for me, once a January race was off the table I decided to take it easy through the holidays, so I ran when I felt like it and got a bit fat. Now I'll start getting more consistent (I hope).

Darkwave: Good to hear you're figuring out how to improve the balance issue. And too bad on the Takumi Sens. I had a similar experience ordering some Altras online (I hope Flavio doesn't read this....).

My last several weeks have been around 40 miles, all easy. This one was a bit more and I hope to get back to 6-7 days of running this coming week, maybe even with a small workout.

Weekly for period: From: 12/27/2021 To 01/02/2022

Date Name mi km Duration Avg/mi Avg/km Elevation Gain
                                in ft
                                12/28 Morning Run 6.14 9.88 50:06 8:10 5:04 43
                                12/30 Morning Run 13.55 21.80 1:51:36 8:14 5:07 909
                                12/31 Trail Run 10.11 16.27 1:30:18 8:56 5:33 571
                                01/01 Morning Run 10.44 16.80 1:26:21 8:16 5:08 597
                                01/02 Morning Run 12.18 19.60 1:40:39 8:16 5:08 764

Total distance: 52.43 mi