2022 Advanced Racing Thread (Read 497 times)

darkwave

Mother of Cats

Keen are the roads open on 3 mile island, or are they closed because vehicles are trying to pump water? It looks like there are multiple options for a course and it could include 1" gravel roads so I'm going with an even 24 minutes in full PPE gear for someone in this group.

JTReeves and I have both raced near 3 Mile Island, since we've both raced in Harrisburg, PA (3 Mile Island is just south of Harrisburg).  It's kinda creepy to see it off in the distance when driving to Harrisburg.

Everyone's gotta running blog; I'm the only one with a POOL-RUNNING blog.

And...if you want a running Instagram where all the pictures are of cats, I've got you covered.

Mikkey

Mmmm Bop

Yeah,  "we all", except for the wanker himself. The only thing he's ever sacrificed is his cabinet ministers by blaming them when he's f'ed up.

Yep, I look at all these world leaders and just shake my head…Joe Biden didn’t even know how to exit the stage recently…absolutely unbelievable that these people are elected.

On getting into London, if one has a GFA time and a cooperative friend or relative in Britain with a mailing address (probably best if you share the same last name) it's not too hard... just sayin'

This is naughty, but true…I gave my London bib to another runner when I got injured and couldn’t run it in 2018. 

Sometimes rules are made to be broken.

5k - 17:53 (4/19)   10k - 37:53 (11/18)   Half - 1:23:18 (4/19)   Full - 2:50:43 (4/19)

Running Problem

Problem Child

I had to look up 3 mile island. It's before my time and I grew up far away from there. I now want to explore the area while also not understanding why nuclear power is such a scary thing? Human error is scarier than nuclear energy.

I actually achieved a successful workout this week. Sadly, I can tell "the magic of CIM" is not there. I WAS thinking I'm close to a sub 19 5k pace which seemed cool.

Best of luck to the racers this weekend. I'm already tracking steve for sure.

Perhaps I can use the guy I paced at Western States to get into London. He's Welsh and lives there. I didn't know there was a "locals only" lottery.

Many of us aren't sure what the hell point you are trying to make and no matter how we guess, it always seems to be something else. Which usually means a person is doing it on purpose.

VDOT 53.37 

5k18:xx | Marathon 2:55:22

JMac11

RIP Milkman

Where's JT when we need some talk of the pro scene? Rooting hard for Eliud, still not sold on Keira. Something just ain't right there.

5K: 16:37 (11/20)  |  10K: 34:49 (10/19)  |  HM: 1:14:57 (5/22)  |  FM: 2:36:31 (12/19) 

Ian5

RP-We have a locals only lottery and also a GFA system which is locals only, when I did my GFA I needed a billing address,not just a mailing address though.

5k 17:35,10k 36:43,10m 61:55,HM 1:24:03,Full 3:07:39

mmerkle

Here's an embarrassing issue:

I tend to get a bit anxious before 18-20 mile long runs. I think it might be because I really haven't done that many in total. Has anyone else ever felt like this lol?

I'd say I've done about 5 total 18 milers in life and 2 20 milers, unless you count actual marathons in which case add +2 to both. That's obviously not a lot. I'm wondering if over time this anxiety goes away. It's hard to say exactly what makes me anxious. I suppose it's either the possibility of injury and/or it just really not going well for some reason.

JMac11

RIP Milkman

I think that's because you put so much emphasis on them. I used to feel the same way about a lot of workouts, ie this is the make or break workout. I think you're exactly right though: for those of us who have run 5+ marathons, we know that a single workout doesn't make or break your cycle, so I stress less about them. I only start to get stressed if I've failed 2 workouts in a row, at which point I do feel a bit anxious going into the third.

A mild amount of anxiety is good thoigh. It makes you prep well for them (eg eating right, not drinking a lot the night before, hydrating properly, getting good sleep, etc).

The same thing is true with races for me. I used to be a nervous wreck the week of my marathons, or even half marathons. Now I sometimes wake up morning of races and I don't want to get out of bed!

5K: 16:37 (11/20)  |  10K: 34:49 (10/19)  |  HM: 1:14:57 (5/22)  |  FM: 2:36:31 (12/19) 

darkwave

Mother of Cats

Here's an embarrassing issue:

I tend to get a bit anxious before 18-20 mile long runs. I think it might be because I really haven't done that many in total. Has anyone else ever felt like this lol?

I'd say I've done about 5 total 18 milers in life and 2 20 milers, unless you count actual marathons in which case add +2 to both. That's obviously not a lot. I'm wondering if over time this anxiety goes away. It's hard to say exactly what makes me anxious. I suppose it's either the possibility of injury and/or it just really not going well for some reason.

I don't get anxious before long runs in the traditional sense of the word.  My emotions at the start of a 20 miler are similar to my emotions at the start of a workday if I have a lot to do that day.  It's not that I am nervous about performance, it's just that I know I have a lot of work ahead of me, and I'm mentally bracing myself for that.

I think the fact that I train and race by perceived effort, rather than pace, probably has a lot to do with this.  I know a lot of people who get really nervous about workouts, and it's usually something along the line of "what if I can't hit my paces" or fears that the workout is going to be really painful.  Since I don't train by pace and already know what the workout will feel like, I don't worry about either of those.

Everyone's gotta running blog; I'm the only one with a POOL-RUNNING blog.

And...if you want a running Instagram where all the pictures are of cats, I've got you covered.

mmerkle

DW/JMac: Tell me if I'm close. It seems like the philosophy you two share regarding marathon training is roughly that the 2 most important aspects are 1. Running long hard efforts, focusing on effort rather than pace. 2. Consistently keeping a high-ish weekly mileage, which is different for everyone, but for me now I'd guess 50 minimum, but ideally in the 60s for 4-6 weeks or more?

JMac11

RIP Milkman

Yep that's right. I always think of mileage like this for the marathon (using the 15 MPW band that JD and Pfitz both seem to use)

40 MPW: I want to finish the race with minimal walking

55 MPW: I want to run a marathon for time

70 MPW: I want to run a very good time (e.g. a BQ)

85 MPW: I want to run near my potential

100+: I want to run my genetic potential

Of course, some people do worse if they get too high in mileage, especially those that go too fast, too soon. These arent exact and I'm sure someone could quibble, but I've found for most people, this is about right. And as I've said before, I'll take someone running 70 MPW with a bunch of 16-18 efforts at medium or hard effort over the person running 55 MPW who is running 20 miles every single weekend.

ETA: I probably stress more about paces than DW does. I will say though I give myself a +/- 5 second hand. If I'm trying to hit 5:50 for a threshold mile, I don't stress about them coming in at 5:55. Additionally, if I start hitting faster than 5:45, I'll intentionally slow down. But also with the summer weather, you have to adjust those paces.

For long runs, it's even more about effort. I try to run the last third of my long run around MP+10%, but some days it's just not there. I don't stress about those at all: long runs are 90% about getting the run done. I'll stress more about bad races or bad threshold workouts.

Ian5

Yep that's right. I always think of mileage like this for the marathon (using the 15 MPW band that JD and Pfitz both seem to use)

These numbers seem very high to me.

I got a BQ off 40mpw and I'd class myself as fatter than ideal for running and I do no other cross training,do you really think you need 70m/w to get a BQ?

Interested to see what others ran to get a BQ and their age as I got mine at 48,so might be easier with less miles when okder.

5k 17:35,10k 36:43,10m 61:55,HM 1:24:03,Full 3:07:39

Half Crazy K 2.0

I got a BQ off 40mpw and I'd class myself as fatter than ideal for running and I do no other cross training,do you really think you need 70m/w to get a BQ?

Interested to see what others ran to get a BQ and their age as I got mine at 48,so might be easier with less miles when okder.

Lurker here. There was a blog a few years back that asked folks about what they did to get their BQ, I think it was also discussed on RA. To me, ,the repsonses were pretty eye opening because there was a lot of variability in how people had trainned.

https://miloandthecalf.com/the-bq-questionnaire/

Running Problem

Problem Child

I did.  Both times.  I also had to break 3 hours. I’m not as talented as you.

Many of us aren't sure what the hell point you are trying to make and no matter how we guess, it always seems to be something else. Which usually means a person is doing it on purpose.

VDOT 53.37 

5k18:xx | Marathon 2:55:22

Where's JT when we need some talk of the pro scene? Rooting hard for Eliud, still not sold on Keira. Something just ain't right there.

I feel the same way about tomorrow and about Keira. Kipchoge seems quite confident in his fitness, and the weather looks perfect. I think he'll go sub 2:01 for a new WR. I doubt Adola can pose any threat; he's been a one-hit wonder and that was 5 years ago. Not really sure about the ladies race, but I'd bet an East African will win and not Keira.

I'm flying out to Germany later today for work and will be anxious to check LRC when I land to see how the race is going!

2:52:16 (2018)

CalBears

85 MPW: I want to run near my potential

100+: I want to run my genetic potential

Yes, I agree with Ian - those numbers are way too high.

I ran 22:24 5K and 1:42 half marathon at the age of 45 after two months of barely training with less than 20 miles per week. Then I had 5 months of kind of training (I found RWOL forum) at average of 38mpw and ran 7 minutes BQ - at the age of 46.

55 mpw gave me 25 minutes BQ and 60 mpw avg gave me sub 3 at age of 47. 85 mpw gave me my lifetime PR of 2:48 and I had few months averaging 100 mpw but have never been able to race with those miles - something was always on the way - either slight injury, or no races, or covid Sad.

paces PRs - 5K - 5:48  /  10K - 6:05  /  HM - 6:14  /  FM - 6:26 per mile