2022 Advanced Racing Thread (Read 497 times)

SteveChCh

Hot Weather Complainer

Exciting times in the thread with lots of races coming up finally!  Good luck everyone.

JMac - That's a very tricky one.  Is the priority for this an all out PR attempt or a tune up race?  I think if there's a 10mph difference and a 10 degree difference, I'd take the slightly hilly run.

Flavio - I do feel reasonably relaxed, with the occasional flutter of nerves.  I know I've done the work and 95% is down to how I perform. There's also an element of "getting to the start line is an achievement itself", and I'm feeling good that I've gotten through a pretty hard training cycle with a few challenges (#1 being the head cold in July).

There's the bonus of seeing lots of old friends too.  My partner was going to come, and I booked (non-refundable) flights for her, but her horse has had a couple of bouts of colic, which if not picked up quickly can be fatal.  So she is staying behind - that has removed one element of stress - I can now do very little pre-race and not feel guilty about ruining her trip.  It would have been nice to have her there when I run into the stadium of course.

I tried to move completely over to this thread to avoid double posting, but I note some prefer that thread.  So I'll need to make sure I force everyone there to track me too.

4 days to go, which is the equal closest I've ever gotten to a marathon race day.  Let's hope I get closer this time.

5km: 18:34 11/23 │ 10km: 39:10 8/23 │ HM: 1:26:48 9/23 │ M: 3:34:49 6/23

2024 Races:

Motorway Half Marathon February 25, 2024 1:29:55

Christchurch Half-Marathon April 21, 2024

Selwyn Marathon June 2, 2024

Dunedin Half Marathon September 15, 2024

Running Problem

Problem Child

krash yeah....I just don't get you.  Trail runners are a different bunch, and it's rare for me to see someone doing speed/marathon work on roads instead of a track. Heck, following you on Strava hasn't learned me ANYTHING other than you're a very impressive runner, and running mountains is what impressive runners do.

The increase in temp is still odd for me. 20 degree increases aren't common for a marathon and combined with the "all downhill" aspect just seems to be ignored. I think a lot of people, or maybe just me, ignore how big of an impact the TEMPERATURE has on race performance. I think most people focus on the elevation and the whole "lack of oxygen" think.

What is on your radar/schedule for 2024? Western States? Leadville? Hardrock? Wasatch? Tahoe 200/Moab 240?

Dave CIM 2021 was almost effortless for me which was odd because I was filled with self doubt and the "magic of CIM" worked.

Many of us aren't sure what the hell point you are trying to make and no matter how we guess, it always seems to be something else. Which usually means a person is doing it on purpose.

VDOT 53.37 

5k18:xx | Marathon 2:55:22

zebano

I tried to move completely over to this thread to avoid double posting, but I note some prefer that thread.  So I'll need to make sure I force everyone there to track me too.

4 days to go, which is the equal closest I've ever gotten to a marathon race day.  Let's hope I get closer this time.

Don't worry, most of us over there also stay up to date on this thread too! I'm excited to see you finally race your marathon.

RP Killian Jornet said that he does lots of zone 1 work just moving easily through the mountains at 110bpm. That puts Krash in some excellent company.

1600 - 5:23 (2018), 5k - 19:33 (2018), 10k - 41:20 (2021), half - 1:38:57 (2018), Marathon - 3:37:17 (2018)

RP, regarding fires and smoke - I’m currently reading a book called The Big Burn by Timothy Egan. It’s the story of one of the largest forest fires in US history, in 1910. It was just after Teddy Roosevelt was President; he had established national forest preserves and the US Forestry Service, as part of the conservation movement to protect large areas from logging/mining and other development. But after he was out of office, the WH & Congress went the other way, to allow more development and drastically cut Forestry Service funding, which inhibited their ability to fight fires. That in conjunction with one of the hottest & driest summers on record turned the whole region (mainly focusing on Montana/Idaho) into a tinder box. It’s pretty interesting, also considering the current state of things.

Please excuse the non-running related digression.

Dave

Running Problem

Problem Child

Dave responsible logging/forest management would make wildfires less damaging. Too bad there are too many environmental groups with lobbying power to allow trees to be cut down and eliminate the MANAGEMENT portion of Forrest Management.

Zeb Killian Jornet's zone 1 is probably my zone 6. I would guess it is Krash's Zone 3.

Many of us aren't sure what the hell point you are trying to make and no matter how we guess, it always seems to be something else. Which usually means a person is doing it on purpose.

VDOT 53.37 

5k18:xx | Marathon 2:55:22

JMac11

RIP Milkman

I have absolutely no evidence that this should be a PR attempt (I have yet to nail an LT workout this entire cycle), but I don't want to rule it out. Who knows if my legs have just been cooked from mileage and my mini-taper will bring out some magic on Sunday? So I want to give myself the best attempt on Sunday. Maybe I'll go out there and run a 1:16:30. That'll just confirm that I'm not in as good of shape as I should be at this point and will help me set a more realistic goal for NYC (e.g. 2:39:59).

I signed up for the Sono Half as well. Give myself the option of what to do the day before. A waste of money, yes, but this may be my last real attempt at a half marathon PR so it's worth it. Plus, my sister lives up near the Sono course, so I could possibly sleep there the night before.

Steve - have you started to prep mentally? I had to reread my race report from my CIM PR to remember that even during that race, things went south for a period of time. Ultimately didn't matter as my stomach gave in at Grandma's, but it did help to be reminded that you will suffer at some point earlier than you thought and ultimately will get through it. I know I mention this a lot on these forums but I find it is vital for the marathon unlike other distances.

Birds - I just had something today happen on my run that has never happened in 20 years of running. I was running by a group of sparrows foraging on the ground. Probably done this hundreds if not thousands of times. They were just off the concrete path, in some grass. They all dispersed as usual, but somehow one of them decided to land directly under my foot! Gonna take me a while to get rid of that crunch feeling I just felt. Felt bad for the bird obviously, but then again, it was as quick of a death as any bird could hope for. The bird must have been sick or old.

5K: 16:37 (11/20)  |  10K: 34:49 (10/19)  |  HM: 1:14:57 (5/22)  |  FM: 2:36:31 (12/19) 

SteveChCh

Hot Weather Complainer

Sounds sensible to give yourself the best chance of a good race.  On Monday we had Wellington level wind (50-60km/h) and even on a short easy run I noticed a massive difference in effort between going into the wind compared to with the wind.

That can't have been a good feeling with the bird, hopefully it went quickly.  Reminds me of when I was playing football a few years ago and a guy tried to slide tackle me in the penalty area but missed me and the ball, I went to step over him to get the ball and score, but accidentally stood on his arm..."CRACK".  Not a good feeling.  He was just getting in the ambulance behind the goal after a long break in play when I scored right in front of him.  That actually made me feel worse...

I feel like I've been mentally preparing forever!  Especially for the tough parts.  I know the climb at 30km will be one, the climb from 35.5 - 37km another tough time, and then the short sharp climb at 39km.  That last one might be mentally easier though knowing it's all downhill and flat to the finish from there.  I think it will be mentally challenging on the long stretch by the beach from about 16km to 30km.  The forecast light winds should make this section better than it could have been - it's very exposed by the beach and around Albert Park Lake (on the grand prix circuit).  I also know there will be times when I think "if I'm this tired now how will I feel at 40km" but I'm ready to push those stupid and unproductive thoughts away.  After the crowding of the first few km I'll look to find people I might be able to work with, but even if there's no-one I'll be with all the way, there will be tons of different people throughout the race.

Just writing about it makes me a little nervous, but mostly excited.

zebano - Haha, yeah it's been quite a journey hasn't it

2024 Races:

JMac - yikes. Not where I thought that bird story was going. I thought you were going to be attacked, which has happened to me, and is scary AF.

Dave

Marky_Mark_17

That can't have been a good feeling with the bird, hopefully it went quickly.  Reminds me of when I was playing football a few years ago and a guy tried to slide tackle me in the penalty area but missed me and the ball, I went to step over him to get the ball and score, but accidentally stood on his arm..."CRACK".  Not a good feeling.  He was just getting in the ambulance behind the goal after a long break in play when I scored right in front of him.  That actually made me feel worse...

That sucks but is one of those unfortunate accidents that can happen in sports... it would've felt pretty horrible but not really your fault.  In contrast, the guy who cracked me in the knee with a hockey stick, after threatening to do so about 10 minutes earlier... no way I'm forgiving that.

3,000m: 9:07.7 (Nov-21) | 5,000m: 15:39 (Dec-19) | 10,000m: 32:34 (Mar-20)  

10km: 33:15 (Sep-19) | HM: 1:09:41 (May-21)* | FM: 2:41:41 (Oct-20)

* Net downhill course

Last race: Maraetai HM, 10 Mar, DNF

Up next: Waterfront HM, 7 Apr

"CONSISTENCY IS KING"

SteveChCh

Hot Weather Complainer

Definitely doesn't deserve forgiveness either, what a tool.

I did hear some of the guys teammates discussing whether I'd done it on purpose and seeking revenge.  I think they worked out that given it stopped me scoring, I probably didn't target his arm.

2024 Races:

Fishyone

Birds - I just had something today happen on my run that has never happened in 20 years of running. I was running by a group of sparrows foraging on the ground. Probably done this hundreds if not thousands of times. They were just off the concrete path, in some grass. They all dispersed as usual, but somehow one of them decided to land directly under my foot! Gonna take me a while to get rid of that crunch feeling I just felt. Felt bad for the bird obviously, but then again, it was as quick of a death as any bird could hope for. The bird must have been sick or old.

Jmac- I know I'm showing my age here but is reminded me of a Seinfeld episode where george hits a pigeon that just didn't move out of the way.  Here is the exchange:

George: Don't we have a deal with the pigeons?
                        Jerry: Of course we have a deal. They get out of the way of our cars...we look the other way on the statue defecation.

I know its a little morbid but thanks for the chuckle this morning

5K 18:36 (2023), 10K 39:40 (2022), 1/2 1:24:37 (2023), full 2:58:36 (2015) 

zebano

Zeb Killian Jornet's zone 1 is probably my zone 6. I would guess it is Krash's Zone 3.

You got it backwards. He literally talks about hours at 110 bpm. I can't imagine many (any) of us doing meaningful running at that HR.

Jmac, quit whining and send it . Honestly I prefer starting a touch slow for 2 miles ust like in a marathon

1600 - 5:23 (2018), 5k - 19:33 (2018), 10k - 41:20 (2021), half - 1:38:57 (2018), Marathon - 3:37:17 (2018)

Jmac- I know I'm showing my age here but is reminded me of a Seinfeld episode where george hits a pigeon that just didn't move out of the way.  Here is the exchange:

George: Don't we have a deal with the pigeons?
                            Jerry: Of course we have a deal. They get out of the way of our cars...we look the other way on the statue defecation.

I know its a little morbid but thanks for the chuckle this morning

Squirrel? We have no deal with them!

No that does not show your age, Seinfeld lines are timeless.

Dave

JMac11

RIP Milkman

Squirrel? We have no deal with them!

No that does not show your age, Seinfeld lines are timeless.

I will always quote Seinfeld and Office lines for the rest of my life.

The one from Seinfeld that I find myself constantly using is "why don't you just tell me the name of the movie??"

5K: 16:37 (11/20)  |  10K: 34:49 (10/19)  |  HM: 1:14:57 (5/22)  |  FM: 2:36:31 (12/19) 

CommanderKeen

Cobra Commander Keen

Zebano - I read an article on Outside that went over Killian's training, but it has since been put behind a paywall. His massive volume of training in Z1 makes me feel a tad bit better about my own training this year. Even with hitting faster paces in workouts, this year currently has a slower average pace than any except 2015 - when I first started running halfway through the year.

JMac - Oof. That is an awkward thing.
                                I don't see anything wrong with giving yourself the best possible odds at a PR.

Steve - Ouch! I bet the guy learned his lesson then. I broke a few bones on a couple different occasions during my HS baseball career, though fortunately none of them were my own.

Quoting TV shows - Frasier is my go-to for this, with occasional How I Met Your Mother input.

5k: 17:58 11/22 │ 10k: 37:55 9/21 │ HM: 1:23:22 4/22 │ M: 2:56:05 12/22

Upcoming Races: