2022 Advanced Racing Thread (Read 497 times)

Best of luck Steve and Cal!

+1!

Dave

Marky_Mark_17

Carb Loading: I've been under the impression that if you train and eat properly you should sort of already be carb loaded, and that the idea of gorging on pasta etc a day or two before a big race is not a good one. Something is getting you through those 2 + hour long runs during training. I eat a tiny bit of extra carbs leading up to a marathon or big long run but nothing crazy. I just try to include healthy carbs in my daily diet.

Yeah, I'm exactly the same on this.  Carb loading is a bit of a myth if you are eating a reasonably balanced diet already anyways with the appropriate nutritional balance for a long distance runner including carbs, proteins and fats.  A lot of runners over-focus on carbs at the expense of quality fats... dark chocolate with a high cocoa % (ideally 80%+) is a great source but avocado, nuts, peanut butter etc. are great too.  Plus the type of carbs also matters... ideally you want whole-food carbs (e.g. starchy vegetables) rather than processed carbs (pasta).

3,000m: 9:07.7 (Nov-21) | 5,000m: 15:39 (Dec-19) | 10,000m: 32:34 (Mar-20)  

10km: 33:15 (Sep-19) | HM: 1:09:41 (May-21)* | FM: 2:41:41 (Oct-20)

* Net downhill course

Last race: Maraetai HM, 10 Mar, DNF

Up next: Waterfront HM, 7 Apr

"CONSISTENCY IS KING"

SteveChCh

Hot Weather Complainer

JMac - That result sounds like a dream to me.  Of course I've started the doubting my build up etc etc, but I had a really good sleep 2 nights out and feel much better today after the travel.  I've got an amazing support crew lined up including a mate on his bike who I'll see several times and he'll give me electrolyte drinks if I need them - I know I won't get much out of each cup at the drink stations.

Good luck Cal if you're around!  Sorry for taking up all the bandwidth around here.  For some reason I feel like you'll just roll out a sub 3 like it's any old park run.

Ian - Definitely no issues with posting of results/splits as they happen.  They will tell a pretty clear story of what is unfolding I'm sure.

5km: 18:34 11/23 │ 10km: 39:10 8/23 │ HM: 1:26:48 9/23 │ M: 3:34:49 6/23

2024 Races:

Motorway Half Marathon February 25, 2024 1:29:55

Christchurch Half-Marathon April 21, 2024

Selwyn Marathon June 2, 2024

Dunedin Half Marathon September 15, 2024

darkwave

Mother of Cats

Of course I've started the doubting my build up etc etc,

I think doubting your training and fitness is the most universal aspect of marathoning (besides the inability to go down stairs the next day)

Have a great race and enjoy it - you earned it!

Cal - have a great race as well!

Everyone's gotta running blog; I'm the only one with a POOL-RUNNING blog.

And...if you want a running Instagram where all the pictures are of cats, I've got you covered.

SteveChCh

Hot Weather Complainer

Glad to hear this is a common thing for first timers!

Since I've swamped the thread I'll add one more link:

Melbourne Marathon Live Stream

2024 Races:

For any-timers.

Dave

Marby

Ash

Good luck Steve, Cal & Jmac! 

See you out there Steve. I'm going head to head with a mate who has said he's going out on 3:30 pace. Chances are that's going to be too hot for both of us, could be an ugly and interesting battle. If anyone is already going to be tracking, maybe check out Ash 1071 vs Crammy 1109.

Next: Ballarat, April 28, Pacing 3:50

Best: 5k 19:46 (Parkrun, 2016), 10k 40:37 (Track, 2022), Half 1:26:41 (2016), Full 3:00:23 (2021)

SteveChCh

Hot Weather Complainer

Good luck JMac...I know it's still a day away but I doubt my brain will remind me tomorrow.

Marby I've added you both to my tracking.  I'll keep an eye out for you at the start, the turnarounds and the finish.  I'll be wearing a blue shirt, black shorts, blues shoes.

12 hours to go

2024 Races:

Running Problem

Problem Child

Since I've swamped the thread I'll add one more link:

Melbourne Marathon Live Stream

6 hours...

Many of us aren't sure what the hell point you are trying to make and no matter how we guess, it always seems to be something else. Which usually means a person is doing it on purpose.

VDOT 53.37 

5k18:xx | Marathon 2:55:22

CalBears

Thanks for best wishes everybody!

I will have to break my "newly discovered "silent but deadly" approach to racing!".

This is going the worst way ever so far - I totally underestimated time zone difference - the biggest time difference for racing I had before was 3 hours (Boston) and it has never been a problem. This time, with 8 hours, for the 3rd day in a row I sleep for 3 hours and then wake up at around 2-3 am and could not get my sleep back - so, I am so foggy during the last few days at daytime.

Basically I discovered I am a human Smile. The day of my flight to London, my water heater got broke, so, I have to fix it asap because my wife and my kid were staying home (that's another sad story for another time Sad. I was fixing the broken hose and while messing with the hardware, I rotated some stuff and, applying some hard pressure, injured my left back rib Sad. There was this sound of crust... and some pain. And some people might know how long it takes for ribs to heal Sad. So, there is no pain when I am walking, but some mild pain when I am running Sad. Yes, I am making excuses, I know, but, unfortunately this is true - I would never tried to make excuses, but here I am. It's not good - I ran this morning couple of miles - that's going to be non-ideal Sad.

Adding to this, because I travel only with my older daughter, I have to walk a lot around London too - which I didn't plan to that extent, I hoped the whole family would travel and I would have a break from a lot of walking. But no - so, my legs are screwed too right now - ha-ha - I know.

No sleep, trashed legs, injured rib - so, what else could go wrong? Hoping for a race magic? Ha-ha! I know there is some magic, but to a certain extent.

The plan is to go according to the old plan and see if I can do it at least for a few miles and go from there. If not, well... will try to enjoy the landmarks... I am sorry guys, trying to cry on your shoulders Sad.

There is a great part though - I finally met the Legend, Mikkey, one and only. As I expected, he is just so much different from a persona we all think about him here. He is the sweetest guy in the World. Very funny, talkative, kind and open. That kind guy bought dinner for me and my daughter and by the end of the dinner I had 3 beers, courtesy of Mikkey - yes, I drunk three big european bottles of beer, not small american bottles, no, big, half liters ones. Yes, I am stupid, I know. But we had so much fun talking for 5 hours. Great stuff! Mikkey is the best!

Good luck to Steve and JMac!

paces PRs - 5K - 5:48  /  10K - 6:05  /  HM - 6:14  /  FM - 6:26 per mile

SteveChCh

Hot Weather Complainer

Cal - That sucks.  I only had to overcome a 3 hour difference and it took 2 days.  I also hear you on the extra walking when away from home.  My step count each day has been way higher than I wanted.  Yesterday I was going to walk to the stadium to get my bib but it would have ended up being an hour return so I incorporated it into catching up with a mate who drove me there.

If anyone can overcome all those issues and put out a good performance it's you.  I really want to do a world major but the travel is what makes it difficult.  I'd want to be in the city at least a week before the race, especially with the length of flights from NZ.

I'm up and getting in my nutrition, with 2.5 hours to go.  It's 8.2 degrees and perfectly calm.  It's going to warm up quickly when the sun is high, but I will be in the final stages of the race by then.

2024 Races:

Fishyone

CAL- Wow talk about a string of bad luck.  I hope you can overcome it and run the best race you can on race day.  I know it won't be for a lack of resilience or mental toughness as you have shown that in abundance over the years.

Very cool that you were able to connect with Mikkey!!! I also see that in typical sly mikkey style he plied you with liquor, good food and companionship in a devious attempt to weaken you before the race!  My advice is to avoid him at all costs before Boston as his tactics will only escalate.  He'll probably have a chartered bus waiting with food and drink to bring you to the start line!

Seriously though....Good luck in the race and enjoy it.

5K 18:36 (2023), 10K 39:40 (2022), 1/2 1:24:37 (2023), full 2:58:36 (2015) 

JMac11

RIP Milkman

Very cool that you were able to connect with Mikkey!!! I also see that in typical sly mikkey style he plied you with liquor, good food and companionship in a devious attempt to weaken you before the race!  My advice is to avoid him at all costs before Boston as his tactics will only escalate.  He'll probably have a chartered bus waiting with food and drink to bring you to the start line!

Excellent stuff right there.

So glad you guys got to meet up, it's been a long time coming! And yes as usual, people are different than what they seem like online. I am so sad I've missed these Piwi and Mikkey meet ups! Whenever anyone comes to run the NYC marathon, I am 100% going to bandit the race for part of it (I'll save my bib from this year) and run a mile or two with you. I am also happy to get beers after the race (looking at you Keen).

Also I think Molly Seidel had a broken rib when she ran either the Olympics or the AR at NYC, so take that as a sign that things are looking up for you!

Steve - we will definitely be tracking you here (and Marby!). I'm sitting around all day doing nothing so I'll at least get some of the splits out there.

5K: 16:37 (11/20)  |  10K: 34:49 (10/19)  |  HM: 1:14:57 (5/22)  |  FM: 2:36:31 (12/19) 

Mikkey

Mmmm Bop

Yes I finally got to meet Cal and had a fantastic evening as he’s really great entertaining company!  I recognised him straight away as he was wearing his Ukraine coloured Boston jacket.    His daughter is also very cool and into rock (she has Muse and Green Day on her playlist and that’s good enough for me)

Fishyone that is a very good idea! 

Good luck Steve and Milkman. 👍

5k - 17:53 (4/19)   10k - 37:53 (11/18)   Half - 1:23:18 (4/19)   Full - 2:50:43 (4/19)

Cal that's some bad luck but London is beautiful so enjoy the sites with your daughter.

Mikkey only got me a coffee so as Fishyone said I'm suspicious he is trying to sabotage you with all that beer and food 

Go Steve!

55+ PBs 5k 18:36 June 3rd TT

" If you don't use it you lose it,  but if you use it, it wears out.

Somewhere in between is about right "