2022 Advanced Racing Thread (Read 497 times)

CalBears

Thanks guys!

I don't think Mikkey has anything to do with sabotaging my race  - I was just weak agreeing to drink more and more beer Smile - I could refuse making an adult decisions, but the evening was so smooth and entertaining, I could not just do it - beer was just right for all the fun talk. Again, it was fun for me, I am not sure if my accent was too much for Mikkey - because I saw his right ear turning towards me to much and, based on experience, that's a sign that a person has a problem with my accent Smile. I know that head turn angle . Though, people get used to the accent pretty quickly. I was afraid that I will have some issues with Mikkey's British accent, but, surprisingly, he almost didn't have that accent - and I know I can have a problem with it, as in many places some people talk and I have no clue what they are saying Smile.

As for the race... I will try to do my best, but if I see I cannot keep sub 3 pace, I will probably just try to enjoy the course - as 3:01 or 3:15 doesn't really make any difference for me at this point - I would be only interested in sub 3 result and would bear the struggle only for that time.

On a good note - it's going to be light rain and rain during the whole race and 56-58 oF temps, 4-5 mph wind - so, basically, if the rain is not too heavy, it's close to very very good running conditions, relatively speaking.

paces PRs - 5K - 5:48  /  10K - 6:05  /  HM - 6:14  /  FM - 6:26 per mile

JMac11

RIP Milkman

Cal that is very smart. If you come through the half in 1:32+, just go enjoy the second half. You ran such a great race a few weeks back, you might as well go out and enjoy this one since you've traveled so far to do it.

I am back to running the hilly, less windy course. The windy course is now saying gusts over 40 MPH (and up to 27MPH sustained). One advantage of the hillier course is that a good chunk of it is through suburban streets, so you can get some wind blocking from houses. It also only has showers, whereas the windier course says heavy rain during the race. The windy course is also literally on a peninsula in the ocean. There is nothing to protect you. Windy Course Location

But hey - it's fun to say you ran a half marathon in the remnants of a hurricane 

Anyway, my goal is to get that top 3, get some prize money, and just run a hard race. This was more entertaining for me than anything tryin to figure out which one to run. Hopefully nobody actually good shows up tomorrow in the bad conditions 

This has been a fun week on the boards. It's great that everyone is racing again. End of September through early December is such a great time!

5K: 16:37 (11/20)  |  10K: 34:49 (10/19)  |  HM: 1:14:57 (5/22)  |  FM: 2:36:31 (12/19) 

SteveChCh

Hot Weather Complainer

Thanks all.  Everything on track this morning.  It's still pitch black, nice and cool with no wind.  My mate is arriving at my apartment shortly then it's a 15-20 walk through the gardens, over the river to the start line.  Just a couple of short easy warm ups planned, I'll be easing into my pace over the first few km, JMac style so that will be my main warm up.

5km: 18:34 11/23 │ 10km: 39:10 8/23 │ HM: 1:26:48 9/23 │ M: 3:34:49 6/23

2024 Races:

Motorway Half Marathon February 25, 2024 1:29:55

Christchurch Half-Marathon April 21, 2024 1:27:34

Selwyn Marathon June 2, 2024

Dunedin Half Marathon September 15, 2024

need2tri

Good luck Steve! You waited too long for this. I predict 3:16Tight lippedx with almost a 4 min negative split 😊

Good luck Cal and JMac too.

Ian5

Good luck to everyone.

Steve-I'll say you'll go out a bit faster than planned,we all do,at 1:36 halfway and go 1:35 for the second half,finishing in 3:11

Cal-That's a beast of a few days,I've planned Tokyo for arriving on Tuesday to help with the jet lag as its 8 hours difference.

5k 17:35,10k 36:43,10m 61:55,HM 1:24:03,Full 3:07:39

flavio80

Intl. correspondent

IIRC the rule of thumb is one day per hour in timezone difference, so 8 hours would be 8 days. In my experience that is very close to reality.

Go racers!

PRs: 1500 4:54.1 2019 - 5K 17:53 2023 - 10K 37:55 2023 - HM 1:21:59 2021

Up next: some 800m race (or time trials) / Also place in the top 20% in a trail race

Tool to generate Strava weekly

Steve through 5k in 23.20

55+ PBs 5k 18:36 June 3rd TT

" If you don't use it you lose it,  but if you use it, it wears out.

Somewhere in between is about right "      

Pain is my friend

Amazing race. Everything went as planed. Ok not everything. But didn’t let the pain in my hammy early on get me down or the quad soreness the last 10 miles. Finish in 2:58:22. Not as fast as 10 years ago but still a great time. Ran the first half in 1:31:50. Finished 148th OA. I think running a 100 miles is easier. Back to trails for me. Thanks for all the support and tips. I won’t completely disappear from the forum.

ATY 24   141.445 2019 1st

Bear 100 22:08 2021 

Jackpot 100 Feb 14:59 - 5th

Pulse endurance 48 hr 175.3 miles

Bonnevile Backyard ultra 

Ute 100 Aug

24 hour loop race?

JMac11

RIP Milkman

Steve through 5k in 23.20

Just ran almost the same split through 10K. So much for starting slow because he's on 3:16 pace. Usually makes me nervous when someone starts this far ahead, but not with Steve. Let's see where he's at at the half!

5K: 16:37 (11/20)  |  10K: 34:49 (10/19)  |  HM: 1:14:57 (5/22)  |  FM: 2:36:31 (12/19) 

JMac11

RIP Milkman

Krash sorry you got lost in the shuffle here but great sub 3!

Krash - holy shit you crushed it. And on a hot day too. Who runs a negative split in a race that finishes at 80F? Outstanding work!

Dave

Great job Krash.

Jmac I like this confident Steve.

Just ran almost the same split through 10K. So much for starting slow because he's on 3:16 pace. Usually makes me nervous when someone starts this far ahead, but not with Steve. Let's see where he's at at the half!

You guys have been following his training longer than I have, but 3:16 could be just right for him.

Dave

darkwave

Mother of Cats

Krash - Congratulations!

And Jmac - good luck tomorrow (sorry I missed you before)

Everyone's gotta running blog; I'm the only one with a POOL-RUNNING blog.

And...if you want a running Instagram where all the pictures are of cats, I've got you covered.

Steve at halfway 1.38.35