2022 Advanced Racing Thread (Read 497 times)

need2tri

Congratulations all, it looks like a great day.

Thanks Flavio,  I was happily following you updates 😀

Fishyone

Ian- Well done!  Love that your posting post race...Absolutely no regrets great race.

Dave- Excellent execution.

5K 18:36 (2023), 10K 39:40 (2022), 1/2 1:24:37 (2023), full 2:58:36 (2015) 

Ian5

Dave-Superb racing,there's no better feeling than finishing really strong.

Darkwave-After the year you've had just getting to that start line was amazing,really well done.

5k 17:35,10k 36:43,10m 61:55,HM 1:24:03,Full 3:07:39

mmerkle

Dave/Darkwave congratulations! Looking forward to race reports

CalBears

Congrats to DW, Dave and Ian! Great races everybody!

Ian - instead of following my path you can follow JMac's path - two monster workouts every week and injuring yourself 4-5 weeks away from the marathon day - works like a charm! 

Flavio - sorry you didn't like my sharing. Yes, I find it boring at this point to share what miles of the race I used my gels and which mile I felt especially bad - because it is really subjective Smile. I could share my training (which is objective), but the log is open and everybody can check it. Weight is extremely important. Pacing strategy I think is important too. Attitude is important, but what you ate the night before or the morning of the race is very individual - you just have to try and see what works for you. And even then, every marathon is different (with a different outcome) even if you follow the same "sacred" procedures. So, I reported what I felt is important for me at this point of my running/racing life. Sorry if it didn't meet your expectations .

Oh... I didn't share one more thing Smile

The way I've got to London marathon is through getting an invitation from Abbott Major Marathon Age Group Championship. The registration was pretty expensive, but at least I have to pay only registration. They gave us a special medal and some bag - Ha-ha!. But they also had a reception on Friday and award ceremony on Sunday night. I didn't go to reception - instead, I spent that evening with Mikkey. But I went to award ceremony. There were more than thousand runners there, all of them are 40+ years old, I would say 50-55 was an average age. Why it is important you ask? Because... Have you ever seen teenagers flocking to their pop song idol when they see him/her? Have you seen that group of kids that you have no control of and the energy that crowd represents? Exactly that happened, only with all those 50+ years old people (runners) when the director of the race announced that the awards will be given to top 3 by King himself, Eliud Kipchoge . You should see what happened and how many older people were jumping and running like crazy to the scene where Eliud showed up. Ha-ha-ha!!! They asked them for 10 minutes to make the space available for others to see, but without any success. So, next time I will try to blame teenagers for their behavior, I will think about this episode with us oldies behaving just like them .

paces PRs - 5K - 5:48  /  10K - 6:05  /  HM - 6:14  /  FM - 6:26 per mile

An amazing day for me. Official time 3:17:48, which is a 4:28 PR. So huge for me considering I felt like I had plateaued, after 10 years of marathoning and 17 races, at age 57. I chained myself to the 3:20 pacer until 19-20, then got in front of them and ran my  own race from there. Felt strong throughout, and really poured it on at the end—overall avg was 7:33, final 2k was at 6:48. Can’t tell you how happy this makes me.

Dave

need2tri

An amazing day for me. Official time 3:17:48, which is a 4:28 PR. So huge for me considering I felt like I had plateaued, after 10 years of marathoning and 17 races, at age 57. I chained myself to the 3:20 pacer until 19-20, then got in front of them and ran my  own race from there. Felt strong throughout, and really poured it on at the end—overall avg was 7:33, final 2k was at 6:48. Can’t tell you how happy this makes me.

Outstanding! Congrats again. Looks like the perfect day for you. You probably still have more PRs in you.

need2tri

Congratulations Ian. Great you went for it,  otherwise you wouldn't know how close you are.  PR is right around the corner.

3:11

The weather was amazing so I decided to go for a PB,as you can see it was too fast,no regrets I left nothing out there.

I know I need to change stuff up,either go the Cal route and add lots more miles,or actually do speedwork which I've never done.

flavio80

Intl. correspondent

Cal - I was not being ironic, I really enjoyed your report.

Like I said different people pay attention to different things and I always get to learn something.

PRs: 1500 4:54.1 2019 - 5K 17:53 2023 - 10K 37:55 2023 - HM 1:21:59 2021

Up next: no idea

Tool to generate Strava weekly

darkwave

Mother of Cats

Congratulations to both of you - we got a great day for racing, and you both made good use of it.

As for me, it felt like I went out controlled, but when I started to pick it up, my hamstrings got really tight and started burning, so I ended up nursing myself home.   I wish I had run a lot faster, but this race was what I had in me today.

Everyone's gotta running blog; I'm the only one with a POOL-RUNNING blog.

And...if you want a running Instagram where all the pictures are of cats, I've got you covered.

CalBears

Cal - I was not being ironic, I really enjoyed your report.

Like I said different people pay attention to different things and I always get to learn something.

That's fine flavio - it's hard to get over the Internet what people really mean Smile

mmerkle

Congratulations to both of you - we got a great day for racing, and you both made good use of it.

As for me, it felt like I went out controlled, but when I started to pick it up, my hamstrings got really tight and started burning, so I ended up nursing myself home.   I wish I had run a lot faster, but this race was what I had in me today.

Well I'm glad you finished DW. Hopefully your health keeps improving.

Great job Dave, Ian and Darkwave! Excellent races for all of you. Congrats on the PR Dave!

It was exciting to follow the race on LRC; especially the women's race. What a race by Ruth!

Great race report Cal. It makes sense about weight making a big difference, but I guess it's something we don't always focus on, at least not as much as training.

2:52:16 (2018)

need2tri

Even with all the challenges you had,  you probably had better time in you if it was not for the hamstrings ( or is that also related to your running dystonia maybe? ). But you still gave, all what you got in you today and come with a great finish time.  Congrats DWave!

CalBears

Great race report Cal. It makes sense about weight making a big difference, but I guess it's something we don't always focus on, at least not as much as training.

Ha-ha - it was not really a race report, but just some notes I thought would be interesting related to the race. Of course I knew weight loss is extremely important for results, I just couldn't shave off those pounds whatever I did. Turned out, very simple intermittent fasting and minimizing pure sugar (or anything with added sugar in it) makes it so easy for me - I do not think I ever seen myself so thin in my life - unfortunately I remember myself being a student only mentally, no idea about my weight back then. Many of my training runs last few weeks (beats per minute x time / distance) were on par with my best cycles when I was in PR shape. But two things are obvious to me now - there is a point where weight loss becomes an impediment (I actually was really scared by the speed I was losing weight) - but I knew it before, anything drastic is not really good. And second - the legend says - every lost pound means 2 seconds per mile. Even if I lost 15 pounds and I were in 7:00 mpm shape, I should be able to race at 6:30 pace - which is no way to happen at any point. Or I am missing some other important variable - maybe 2 seconds per mile is legit but you have to be at that weight for some time and train at that weight for some time? I don't know.

When is your next race speedy guy?