2022 Advanced Racing Thread (Read 497 times)

SteveChCh

Hot Weather Complainer

Dave - Well done on the perfect/dream race!  Must be feeling amazing.  Very heartening after our twin training!

Ian - Nice gutsy effort to go for it, and very good result despite just missing out.

darkwave - Given all your issues, that's a great result.  Hopefully you get a really consistent streak of training now.

I see Emily Sisson broke the American record, it looks like it was a great day for PRs.

5km: 18:34 11/23 │ 10km: 39:10 8/23 │ HM: 1:26:48 9/23 │ M: 3:34:49 6/23

2024 Races:

Motorway Half Marathon February 25, 2024 1:29:55

Christchurch Half-Marathon April 21, 2024

Selwyn Marathon June 2, 2024

Dunedin Half Marathon September 15, 2024

Dave

Ha-ha - it was not really a race report, but just some notes I thought would be interesting related to the race. Of course I knew weight loss is extremely important for results, I just couldn't shave off those pounds whatever I did. Turned out, very simple intermittent fasting and minimizing pure sugar (or anything with added sugar in it) makes it so easy for me - I do not think I ever seen myself so thin in my life - unfortunately I remember myself being a student only mentally, no idea about my weight back then. Many of my training runs last few weeks (beats per minute x time / distance) were on par with my best cycles when I was in PR shape. But two things are obvious to me now - there is a point where weight loss becomes an impediment (I actually was really scared by the speed I was losing weight) - but I knew it before, anything drastic is not really good. And second - the legend says - every lost pound means 2 seconds per mile. Even if I lost 15 pounds and I were in 7:00 mpm shape, I should be able to race at 6:30 pace - which is no way to happen at any point. Or I am missing some other important variable - maybe 2 seconds per mile is legit but you have to be at that weight for some time and train at that weight for some time? I don't know.

When is your next race speedy guy?

I agree, at a certain point being too light is a negative. I was at my lightest (in the adult phase of my running) leading up to my 2nd marathon and was easily getting sick at that weight. I've never gotten that low in weight since then because I know it will be an overall negative for my running. Hopefully you've found your magic weight now and sounds like you have a good sense of how to control it with cutting out sugar (which is a good thing for general health anyway).

Speedy guy? Good joke . Not feeling too speedy lately. Next race will be a spring marathon. This year has pretty much been a wash as far as running goes. Some major health issues early in the year that set back running a lot. But I still have the fire to go for sub 2:50. The rest of the year will just be building back up mileage, then getting serious in January.

Nice picture! I like the headband Darkwave!

2:52:16 (2018)

SteveChCh

Hot Weather Complainer

"Is that darkwave?"  *checks headband* "Yep, that's her"

5km: 18:34 11/23 │ 10km: 39:10 8/23 │ HM: 1:26:48 9/23 │ M: 3:34:49 6/23

2024 Races:

Motorway Half Marathon February 25, 2024 1:29:55

Christchurch Half-Marathon April 21, 2024

Selwyn Marathon June 2, 2024

Dunedin Half Marathon September 15, 2024

JMac11

RIP Milkman

Great picture! Glad you guys got to meet up.

Dave what a hell of a race. It's amazing for you to have a breakthrough not only after many attempts, but to finish it with such a strong finish! For Chicago, that weather is what, 1 out of 5 years, and you executed beautifully

Darkwave - when we first start running, it seems like our quads are what give out first, but now it's hamstrings. Anyway, I'm glad you got to race and ultimately, a good race for you given everything.

Ian - what's next for you? I do think mileage is king for the marathon. If you had to choose one, go for the big miles. You can probably get away with not running anything faster than MP until you start getting below 3 hours for the marathon.

Cal - what, you don't like my cycles of burning too close to the sun and getting injured? In all seriousness, it sucks because the 2Q program worked well for so many years, but now two cycles in a row I've been burned by it. I have no regrets though. If I do come back to marathoning in the future, I actually think I'll do more speed work before my marathon cycle. One of the things I am ascribing my injury to is that I'm actually not doing the speed work I've always done, e.g. V02 max work. My legs had seen exactly 1 mile at sub 5:40 in all of these cycles, and then I ran 4 miles at that pace during my half on a lot of downhill sections? That's a recipe for injury. That, or I just follow the old man path and give up on every distance except the marathon. Either way, if I can't make it to the starting line, so be it.

5K: 16:37 (11/20)  |  10K: 34:49 (10/19)  |  HM: 1:14:57 (5/22)  |  FM: 2:36:31 (12/19) 

mmerkle

My Week:

Time:            Miles:     Kilos:      Pace/mi:       Pace/kilo:

10/3: Easy 8                                              1:01:07             8            12.8        7:39             4:46

10/3: Easy 5.5, then

leg strength work                                          40:51            5.5           8.8         7:26             4:37

10/4: Easy 10, then

upper body + core                                      1:18:11            10           16.1       7:50             4:53

10/5: 2 mile WU, 2.5 mile CD,

8 X 1/2 mile on the track with

2 minute walk/jog rests:

2:59,2:53,2:49,2:47,2:46,2:42,2:46,

2:38                                                               59:29            8.5           13.6       7:00             4:21

Leg strength later

10/6: Easy 10                                              1:21:04            10           16.1       8:07             5:02

10/7: Easy 8                                                1:06:39             8            12.8       8:20             5:11

10/8: Long run: first 30min

easy, then 6 X 6min threshold/

2 minutes easy, then the rest steady           2:08:57            18            29         7:10             4:27

10/9: Easy 5                                                    42:52             5             8          8:35              5:20

Total: Miles: 73, Kilos: 117.5, Time: 9:19:10

Remark: This isn't as big of a mileage jump as it seems, I ran 7 days instead of 6.

CalBears

Cal - 

That's a recipe for injury. That, or I just follow the old man path and give up on every distance except the marathon. Either way, if I can't make it to the starting line, so be it.

Are you referring to Kipchoge? I agree with you - that's so shameful to give up on all the distances and become a marathoning GOAT !  

Shame on him 

paces PRs - 5K - 5:48  /  10K - 6:05  /  HM - 6:14  /  FM - 6:26 per mile

Ian5

Jmac-Next planned is Tokyo,I will probably have some before but I don't know what yet.

I met up with them also,Dave did take a picture to prove it, really nice meeting them and chatting for about 90mins in the end,time flies when you're having fun.

Darkwaves description was short,dark hair,white headband with kittens,was half expecting her to be carrying kittens.

5k 17:35,10k 36:43,10m 61:55,HM 1:24:03,Full 3:07:39

Great forum encounter photo and marathons Dave, Ian, and DW.

Conner Mantz debut 2.08 very impressive too.

55+ PBs 5k 18:36 June 3rd TT

" If you don't use it you lose it,  but if you use it, it wears out.

Somewhere in between is about right "      

Fishyone

MMerk- very nice week.  My favorite was the Sunday run!  Well done keeping the pace slow I’m sure it was harder in some ways than doing repeats!  I’m impressed.

5K 18:36 (2023), 10K 39:40 (2022), 1/2 1:24:37 (2023), full 2:58:36 (2015) 

JMac11

RIP Milkman

Are you referring to Kipchoge? I agree with you - that's so shameful to give up on all the distances and become a marathoning GOAT !  

Shame on him 

It's interesting - he doesn't enter any other races, so maybe there's something to do that. And trust me - I have zero desire to seriously train for 5k/10k again. I just do not enjoy v02 max. I'd rather run 14 at MP than 6x1K at Vo2 any day of the week. But I do actually enjoy running them as tune up races. Maybe it's time to drop them - this injury occrued in a half right after a cut back week, and I got my stress reaction for CIM just a few days after a half as well. That may be the common thread here.

5K: 16:37 (11/20)  |  10K: 34:49 (10/19)  |  HM: 1:14:57 (5/22)  |  FM: 2:36:31 (12/19) 

Running Problem

Problem Child

It makes me happy to see these are still a thing.

Many of us aren't sure what the hell point you are trying to make and no matter how we guess, it always seems to be something else. Which usually means a person is doing it on purpose.

VDOT 53.37 

5k18:xx | Marathon 2:55:22

Jmac-Next planned is Tokyo,I will probably have some before but I don't know what yet.

I met up with them also,Dave did take a picture to prove it, really nice meeting them and chatting for about 90mins in the end,time flies when you're having fun.

Darkwaves description was short,dark hair,white headband with kittens,was half expecting her to be carrying kittens.

It was great chatting with both of you!

Dave

darkwave

Mother of Cats

What DavePNW did NOT note is that both he and Ian had to semi-squat to get level enough to my head to make the picture work.  A big ask on post-marathon legs.

Everyone's gotta running blog; I'm the only one with a POOL-RUNNING blog.

And...if you want a running Instagram where all the pictures are of cats, I've got you covered.

Marky_Mark_17

Unfortunately I can't see the picture probably due to some sort of blocker on the work network.  I will use my imagination.

Anyways, big congrats to Dave on what sounds like a very well-run and well-earned PB.

Ian, respect for going for broke.  The Rogue Running podcast did an episode that stuck with me... "train your weaknesses early and your strengths late".

Darkwave - what is it with the hamstrings?! I've now learned (the hard way, unfortunately) that is my earliest warning sign of overtraining.  "This race was what I had in me today"... I know that feeling.  Enjoy the achievement all the same.

Mmerkle - excellent week.

JTReeves / Cal - I 100% agree about being careful on weight loss.  In theory it's easy to think losing an extra kg or two makes you faster because it's less to carry around, but taken too far it can really kill your power output and overall health.  You've gotta have enough nutrition and fuel in the body to train and perform well and taking weight loss too far compromises that.  These days I look at weight as an outcome... if you get the process right about training volume, and nutrition, then weight is just an outcome of that.  The human body is pretty good at adapting with the right stimulus!

3,000m: 9:07.7 (Nov-21) | 5,000m: 15:39 (Dec-19) | 10,000m: 32:34 (Mar-20)  

10km: 33:15 (Sep-19) | HM: 1:09:41 (May-21)* | FM: 2:41:41 (Oct-20)

* Net downhill course

Last race: Maraetai HM, 10 Mar, DNF

Up next: Waterfront HM, 7 Apr

"CONSISTENCY IS KING"