2022 Advanced Racing Thread (Read 497 times)

CalBears

Milkman - I’m pretty certain I was the last Moose Mug winner over 3 years ago and the only hope of another one on this thread is if you identify as non binary and aim for sub 2:55 at NYC?  I’m sure Ray Bentley will be absolutely fine with that. 👍

So, you are saying sub 2:57 at CIM for me is a pipe dream? 

paces PRs - 5K - 5:48  /  10K - 6:05  /  HM - 6:14  /  FM - 6:26 per mile

Mikkey

Mmmm Bop

So, you are saying sub 2:57 at CIM for me is a pipe dream? 

Oops, I forgot about your CIM marathon!

Have you overtaken me on sub 3 marathons now?  I’m on 16.

5k - 17:53 (4/19)   10k - 37:53 (11/18)   Half - 1:23:18 (4/19)   Full - 2:50:43 (4/19)

CalBears

Oops, I forgot about your CIM marathon!

Have you overtaken me on sub 3 marathons now?  I’m on 16.

Ha-ha - funny, I also ran 16 sub 3 marathons so far since I started my running hobby in 2011. So, we are even right now - that makes upcoming CIM kind of more important from the point of running sub 3 than I thought Smile.

Also, if I remember correctly, you ran about 40 marathons total? So, your percentage of sub 3 races is less than 50. I ran 16 sub 3s out of 26 total marathons - 62%. So, kind of ahead of you there - ha-ha. And, hopefully , will run sub 3 at CIM, maybe even Moose Mug, but not holding my breath over it - looks like 2 marathons in 5 weeks was a little bit too much - feeling very down and unmotivated right now.

darkwave

Mother of Cats

Darkwave - if you're around, let me know what you think on the shorter taper. I saw your name pop up on an LRC thread about this.

Hahahaha.  I guess that's a unique sort of internet fame - posting on high volume threads.

[sorry for my absence - my new job keeps me busy enough that it's hard to post much during the work week]

I like to think of tapering like landing an airplane.  You want to get to the marathon at just the right point, and so sometimes you may have to speed up or slow down your approach in order to achieve that.  When people get too fit too early in their cycle, generally the best way to save that is to take a down week within the cycle.

And on the other side, when people have been forced to take a break partway through their cycle, adding a bit more training and a shorter taper is the logical response, IMHO.

I actually like and endorse the proposed taper you posted, FWIW.

CalBears - was that Ted Talk by Stephen Seiler?  That sounds like his work.

Everyone's gotta running blog; I'm the only one with a POOL-RUNNING blog.

And...if you want a running Instagram where all the pictures are of cats, I've got you covered.

CalBears

JMac11

RIP Milkman

Darkwave - I love the airplane analogy, especially since I spent the 4 weeks I wasn't running with my stress reaction playing Microsoft's Flight Simulator . If you approve it, I'm gonna go for it with it. Thanks for the quick reply!

Mikkey - there is :runs calculator: a 0% chance I get a Moose Mug at NYC. I would have had to have had the absolutely perfect cycle followed by the perfect race given the difficulty of the course. Realistic goal given hamstring issues plus course difficult is 2:39:59. I'd be incredibly happy with that result. That's a 2:37ish at CIM, and if I can pull that off with these hamstring problems, not sure what else I can ask for.

I'll just have to come back and more run more marathons in my mid 40's when it's very easy to get a Moose Mug . This running thing is so addicting. My recent hamstring issues have shown me I love it too much. Don't get me wrong, a lot of days I have zero desire to go run, and often times it feels like a crazy chore. I've said many times, I think most of you guys here love the physical act of running more than I do. But then you have some days where you absolutely smash a long run, have a beautiful fall running day (like today for me), or something else that makes you wonder whether any other happy can you bring that happiness you feel. I don't get the "runner's high" frequently, but wow when it hits, it's hard to top.

Put me down for 2:44:59 at 2032 CIM 

5K: 16:37 (11/20)  |  10K: 34:49 (10/19)  |  HM: 1:14:57 (5/22)  |  FM: 2:36:31 (12/19) 

SteveChCh

Hot Weather Complainer

JMac - obviously I don’t know how to get a marathon cycle right, but I think you’re in a good position to surprise yourself. Some of those long run workouts were beastly and it really doesn’t seem like you’ve lost much time. The way you described feeling today suggests you’ve freshened up nicely.  I’m hesitant to say that’s a sand bag goal…let’s see how the next few weeks go.

5km: 18:34 11/23 │ 10km: 39:10 8/23 │ HM: 1:26:48 9/23 │ M: 3:34:49 6/23

2024 Races:

Motorway Half Marathon February 25, 2024 1:29:55

Christchurch Half-Marathon April 21, 2024

Selwyn Marathon June 2, 2024

Dunedin Half Marathon September 15, 2024

JMac11

RIP Milkman

JMac - obviously I don’t know how to get a marathon cycle right, but I think you’re in a good position to surprise yourself. Some of those long run workouts were beastly and it really doesn’t seem like you’ve lost much time. The way you described feeling today suggests you’ve freshened up nicely.  I’m hesitant to say that’s a sand bag goal…let’s see how the next few weeks go.

Coming off a hamstring injury, with no half marathon to gauge my fitness, and after blowing up at Grandma's going for the MM, it's hard to set the perfect goal. I actually think 2:39:59 is a good, aggressive goal, given the course. Again, if this was CIM, I might shoot for the PR if things felt great in the first 10 miles. But, NYC is not CIM, unfortunately. If I can get this half marathon done at MP and finish super strong, I can reevaluate at that point.

But hey, who knows. Maybe the magic of sleeping in my own bed and not having 3 flights cancelled on me will make all the difference

Oh also - claiming sandbagged goals is now a curse. The only person who really crushed their goal, and we didn't accuse of sandbagging, was Cal. His sad story of broken ribs, being drugged by Mikkey, and getting 0 sleep really fooled all of us 

5K: 16:37 (11/20)  |  10K: 34:49 (10/19)  |  HM: 1:14:57 (5/22)  |  FM: 2:36:31 (12/19) 

SteveChCh

Hot Weather Complainer

Those travel issues definitely would have been a factor so sleeping in your own bed should be a big help even on a much harder course.  I actually misread your 2032 goal as your 2022 goal. Definitely not fair to make a sand bagging accusation. I did see your comment in the middle of my race hoping you’d get an ‘I told you so’ moment. Oh how I wish that had happened. Hopefully I get one for you, because I think the break might help because you go so close to the sun.

It’s possible Cal wasn’t sand bagging, he just doesn’t realise he’s a machine.

2024 Races:

Running Problem

Problem Child

Keen/JMac it might be a light workout. I’m just questioning the need if the taper is the focus. Sure. It keeps legs fresh. So would a  fartlek or anything.  Yeah 3 miles threshold isn’t a big deal at that point. It’s also another chance to maybe stress a muscle needing injury. The injury avoidance was my focus.

krash 15-30 is BIG miles.  I could do the lower side of your weekly mileage.  Actually I am.  10k vert I’ve done ONCE. I went to Seattle and got like 3,500 ft on a run, and a few other big hills (thank you Strava segment KOM) and when I landed at home I was at 9,700 ft. I didn’t want to run at all. I went and got those 300 ft. I think it helped me mentally do something I didn’t want to. 
                      still….you’re making 100 mile training sound easier than I imagined it. If I ram the same two trails I could have a 1,000 ft run and a (I think) 1,600 ft 13 mile long run close to work/home. I think I make excuses to avoid trails like ‘I go too slow on them compared to roads. I will say….after my 50 miler someone asked if I could do another lap. My response after a few seconds of thinking was ‘Not at that pace. I’d have to slow down and I know those first 9 miles would be hard.’ I came in right around 11:14 for the finish of my first.  I’d need to get the family hiking after I did my 2-3 hour long run. It’s my only plan for gaining vert but again, I know I don’t have to be competitive. I just have the desire to be competitive and do my best or what I think is impressive.  Which is where I say ‘I need back to back 20 mile long runs in the hills with 4K of vert!’

Many of us aren't sure what the hell point you are trying to make and no matter how we guess, it always seems to be something else. Which usually means a person is doing it on purpose.

VDOT 53.37 

5k18:xx | Marathon 2:55:22

JMac11

RIP Milkman

Steve that makes sense, a 2:44:59 would definitely be a sandbag. And trust me, I wish that comment was true too. I hate how your marathon went and hope you do take a few more cracks at it. My first wasn't a disaster but my second marathon was SO much more enjoyable than the first.

SteveChCh

Hot Weather Complainer

I’m banking on it. I’m going again. I’ve added a sports nutritionist to my team. 

In the meantime, I’ll be following everyone racing in the next few months. There’s some amazing training and goals going on here. I love it.

2024 Races:

Mikkey

Mmmm Bop

Ha-ha - funny, I also ran 16 sub 3 marathons so far since I started my running hobby in 2011. So, we are even right now - that makes upcoming CIM kind of more important from the point of running sub 3 than I thought Smile.

Also, if I remember correctly, you ran about 40 marathons total? So, your percentage of sub 3 races is less than 50. I ran 16 sub 3s out of 26 total marathons - 62%. So, kind of ahead of you there - ha-ha. And, hopefully , will run sub 3 at CIM, maybe even Moose Mug, but not holding my breath over it - looks like 2 marathons in 5 weeks was a little bit too much - feeling very down and unmotivated right now.

Yeah 42 total, but you can only count 37 as I’ve been a Brighton Marathon pacer 5 times. I’ve run a couple of 3:00 and 30/37 have been sub 3:10.  There’s no point in downplaying your chances at CIM on this thread as nobody will believe you. 

Milkman. - Have you ever tried shockwave therapy for any of your injuries? The guy I use for any injuries (qualified Osteopath) does shockwave treatment which I had for PF last year and also on my heel spur when it plays up as I’m reluctant to have surgery on the heel.

5k - 17:53 (4/19)   10k - 37:53 (11/18)   Half - 1:23:18 (4/19)   Full - 2:50:43 (4/19)

flavio80

Intl. correspondent

Jmac - You’re gonna crush it, I’m sure. Just don’t forget your açaí the day before!

Also, now make it a habit to visit the PT at least once a month. It sounds expensive but the alternative is worse.

Krash - 100 miles races are insanity. Also your avatar picture is glorious! What’s the story behind that ?

JMac / Darkwave - Wait what, Darkwave posts on Letsrun? I wonder whether she keeps the same diplomatic tone there, or she goes home devastated after some discus.

Steve - LOL right, Cal thinks he’s human the poor thing

me - Good and bad news. Bad news is that my quad niggle is getting worse, it used to be just first 3 or 4 minutes of the run, then it sort of disappeared, then this week it's at some level of discomfort during most of the run. I'm now in desperation mode and started taking anti-inflammatory pills yesterday. I was already using an anti-inflammatory cream. This likely started because I didn't take it easy enough on the first strength training session after my 10k. It looks like I need more rest from a 10k.

Good news is that I can keep running, for now.

PRs: 1500 4:54.1 2019 - 5K 17:53 2023 - 10K 37:55 2023 - HM 1:21:59 2021

Up next: no idea

Tool to generate Strava weekly

flavio80

Intl. correspondent

Steve - I'm done upgrading the weekly app to Java 17. Now if you edit your Strava activity to be of type "Race", under "Details" it will show elapsed time instead of moving time.

PRs: 1500 4:54.1 2019 - 5K 17:53 2023 - 10K 37:55 2023 - HM 1:21:59 2021

Up next: no idea

Tool to generate Strava weekly