2022 Advanced Racing Thread (Read 497 times)

flavio80

Intl. correspondent

JMac - I have my first meeting with my coach tonight (apart from at the pub post-race).  I am starting to lean towards having peaked too early too, but I don't understand why that would lead to cramp on tapered legs rather than fading or crashing in the last 10km.  This is probably the one you're talking about:

https://www.strava.com/activities/7705746031

He was basically giving me the same runs that he was doing, with slightly slower quality blocks as his goal was about 10 mins quicker than mine.  But he's run lots of marathons and some ultras.

That run lead you over the red line physically, it was the straw that broke the camels' back.

Also, what I marked in bold is IMHO a big red flag. Your workouts should be custom built for you, the odds they'd match someone else's workouts are very rare. I was coached by Luke Humphrey, writer of the Hansons Marathon and half marathon method books, his schedule for me was different from the books, similar over all principles, but adjusted to my (even lower) abilities.

Mark has a great coach, does she have any openings on her roster?

Mmerkle - I also read your 104 kilos as if you're104 kg or 230lbs  That’s a fast dude for being so heavy 😀

Jmac - quad injuries are quite common. Root cause is we all have weak glutes and hamstrings, so the quad has to work harder to absorb the impact.

PRs: 1500 4:54.1 2019 - 5K 17:53 2023 - 10K 37:55 2023 - HM 1:21:59 2021

Up next: some 800m race (or time trials) / Also place in the top 20% in a trail race

Tool to generate Strava weekly

JMac11

RIP Milkman

That run lead you over the red line physically, it was the straw that broke the camels' back.

Also, what I marked in bold is IMHO a big red flag. Your workouts should be custom built for you, the odds they'd match someone else's workouts are very rare. I was coached by Luke Humphrey, writer of the Hansons Marathon and half marathon method books, his schedule for me was different from the books, similar over all principles, but adjusted to my (even lower) abilities.

This sums up my thoughts fairly well. T

When you told us he was giving you the same runs as him, I was very worried. I could become a "coach" by just giving everyone a bunch of the same Jack Daniels workouts I do, but that would be terrible. More importantly, the part where you say "he's run a bunch of marathons" is exactly why you shouldn't be doing the same runs as him. You've run 0 marathons! I went back in your log and saw you had a 24 mile (!) long run, but not only that, with 12 miles at MP! This was on top of a couple of other 22 and 23 mile runs with MP as well! That is just an insane, insane run that no coach in his right mind should give to a first time marathoner unless they were extremely talented and already running something like 100 MPW. You can attempt those huge long runs after you've run a bunch of marathons because you know what works for you. For a first time marathoner, I would never prescribe a very long run with quality. It's trying to jam way too much into one single run. And frankly, I wouldn't even go past 21 miles or so.

I understand the feeling of not wanting to rock the boat too much from just 1 bad marathon, but it's not that your race went poorly: it's that he isn't really coaching you. He's coming up with a plan that works for him, and then dumping it on his clients.

If I were to coach you for your next marathon, I would not tell you to run what I run. Just take a look at this board of the people who have run Moose Mugs. Cal, darkwave, and Mikkey have all done it differently because they figured out what works for them. Can you imagine Cal spending 3 hours a week pool running? I can't. But I also can't imagine darkwave taking effectively weeks off from running and then coming back and trying to smash 100 MPWs. They each know what works for them.

This is the classic case of leaving your best race in training. That run you posted, if you had just decided to actually run the marathon that day instead, with even just a very short 1 week taper, you would have run a sub 3:20 easily.

5K: 16:37 (11/20)  |  10K: 34:49 (10/19)  |  HM: 1:14:57 (5/22)  |  FM: 2:36:31 (12/19) 

CommanderKeen

Cobra Commander Keen

JMac - I actually saw a vehicle yesterday with the license plate "JMAC". You didn't happen to take your Honda CR-V with a University of Oklahoma license plate for a quick out-of-state trip, did you?
        I haven't hit 4k in a year yet, but since I'm currently trending to be well above that I hope to do it given taper/recovery from CIM.
        Peaking is mostly going to be around the intensity and focus of workouts, rather than a bump in mileage.

Steve - Too much water with not enough electrolytes can certainly lead to hyponatremia of various levels of severity, which could have lead to cramps.
        In any event, you've got some time to get things figured out before even starting on formal training for the next marathon.

5k: 17:58 11/22 â”‚ 10k: 37:55 9/21 â”‚ HM: 1:23:22 4/22 â”‚ M: 2:56:05 12/22

Upcoming Races:

OKC Memorial 5k - April 27

Bun Run 5k - May 4

JMac11

RIP Milkman

JMac - I actually saw a vehicle yesterday with the license plate "JMAC". You didn't happen to take your Honda CR-V with a University of Oklahoma license plate for a quick out-of-state trip, did you?
          I haven't hit 4k in a year yet, but since I'm currently trending to be well above that I hope to do it given taper/recovery from CIM.
          Peaking is mostly going to be around the intensity and focus of workouts, rather than a bump in mileage.

Steve - Too much water with not enough electrolytes can certainly lead to hyponatremia of various levels of severity, which could have lead to cramps.

I thought a discussion of not enough electrolytes would really get you going! Apparently only nuclear energy does that 

For your mileage, I'm curious how your coach will get you down in mileage. My training is always up/down as I mentioned, so I pretty much am running peak mileage until 3 weeks out. But I've seen a lot of coaches that have you hit your peak mileage much earlier if one runs as consistently as you do: often about 6 weeks out, sometimes 5. Do you know if your coach will reduce you, to let's say, 90ish miles per week earlier on?

5K: 16:37 (11/20)  |  10K: 34:49 (10/19)  |  HM: 1:14:57 (5/22)  |  FM: 2:36:31 (12/19) 

CommanderKeen

Cobra Commander Keen

JMac - Based on a conversation I had with him over the weekend and my training log from last year I'll probably have two more big weeks after this one, then a couple at ~90, then a more serious taper for the last two weeks.

5k: 17:58 11/22 â”‚ 10k: 37:55 9/21 â”‚ HM: 1:23:22 4/22 â”‚ M: 2:56:05 12/22

Upcoming Races:

OKC Memorial 5k - April 27

Bun Run 5k - May 4

SteveChCh

Hot Weather Complainer

Thanks all for the thoughts.  Flavio if I were to change coaches I'd probably choose someone local, although Mark's coach has obviously gotten pretty good results.  A mate of mine from high school set up "Extra Mile Runners" which I could look at, although the social media stuff I've seen does seem to be aimed more at getting people off the couch.

On the session last night my coach asked me for my thoughts and feedback.  I said I probably peaked too early/ramped things up a bit early.  I did the Wellington half at MP (plus 8km of warm up and down) 15 weeks out from the race, then a pretty big progression the following week (28km) then a 30km with 6 x 1km @ HMP the following week during which I cramped up when I tried to speed up (I had forgotten about this).  I'm only focusing on the long runs because I think my mileage is fine, and probably for the second go doesn't need to increase much if at all (obviously if I then want to improve I'll have to increase).

In July/August I had a cold but for 2 weekends in a row still did my long runs, with no workout (32km, 34km), so another potential mistake there.  Then the next week I jumped straight into a 36km with MP blocks of 5, 4, 3, 2, 1.  This was the run in Hagley Park when a massive tree fell across the path and road and on the 2km block I had to quickly divert into the park on the grass to avoid it and got cramp when I did this - had also forgotten about that.  I was able to recover and finish the MP work though.

Also looking at my easy pace for all runs, but especially the long ones, it is significantly faster than 1 minute per mile slower than "marathon pace".  Maybe I thought this was okay because my goal was "soft".  It especially crept up during a workout in a long run i.e. the easy paced recovery between MP blocks was ALWAYS way too fast.  I mentioned that to the coach too, and he took on board that he should have pushed back harder (I did get several messages from him throughout the cycle telling me I'd blow it if I didn't slow down - I did respond to these, and JMac, but looking at the data, not enough).

The sessions we did weren't an exact match, but I did ask if it was wise for me to do similar long runs, albeit at slower pace, to someone who had done 10+ marathons.  He took it on board but did specifically consider whether I could handle each one (and did point out I wasn't the "typical" first timer, with my years of shorter distances and 1.5 previous marathon cycles).  I should also note that the rest of our weeks were not as similar as our long runs.  He said the plan for the Christchurch Marathon will be a shorter time of ramping up the long runs - I did 7 20+ milers in this cycle which I thought showed I was ready.  I think Dave said he had only ever done 3, and if you look at our results you'd definitely think his way is the better way.  So nothing above 2 hours until late December/January will be the plan.

I haven't made a decision on a change yet - I might try and get a coach to review my training.  I'm not sure whether they'd do that for a potential client or I'd need to pay for a session but I can work that out.  Looking at it now though, it's easy to see where some of the issues and mistakes are.

So the tl;dr version is, I'm just as much to blame as the coach (if it was the training that blew it) by insisting on completing long runs when sick and not running a true "easy" pace.  I might end up better off for the experience than if it had gone to plan, and so might my coach which is why I'm not certain on a change being the best move.

Mikkey will be pleased to hear that he said sub 3:10 is where I have the potential to be in a few marathons.

Who would have thought that after years of everyone telling me my easy pace was too fast, I'd only truly accept it after a race that turned into my worst nightmare.  Stupid stubborn brain.

5km: 18:34 11/23 â”‚ 10km: 39:10 8/23 â”‚ HM: 1:26:48 9/23 â”‚ M: 3:34:49 6/23

2024 Races:

Motorway Half Marathon February 25, 2024 1:29:55

Christchurch Half-Marathon April 21, 2024 1:27:34

Selwyn Marathon June 2, 2024

Dunedin Half Marathon September 15, 2024

Marky_Mark_17

Steve - my honest view here is that it was likely less about easy pace per se (HR and perceived effort are far better tools to manage that than a mathematical focus on pace) and more about a training block that went on too long.  More and more I'm starting to realise that you need some really good periods of downtime every 2-3 months just to let the body recover and adjust.  Your marathon scenario does remind me a bit of mine from 2020 when I ended up training more or less for 12 months by the time I FINALLY got to a marathon start line.  Even though I was running easy runs much slower than I ever had before, I just got burnt out from a training cycle that went on too long because it was always just 8-10 weeks until the next possible race in the year of Covid cancellations.  Pushing through when you were sick may well have exacerbated that.

In hindsight I had the same experience in Aug/Sept this year when I got overtrained from pushing too hard for too long - probably 12-15 months without a decent period of downtime (being sick doesn't count).  That doesn't mean no running either, it probably just means like no workouts and a week of easy jogs just to take the foot off the gas physically and mentally.

3,000m: 9:07.7 (Nov-21) | 5,000m: 15:39 (Dec-19) | 10,000m: 32:34 (Mar-20)  

10km: 33:15 (Sep-19) | HM: 1:09:41 (May-21)* | FM: 2:41:41 (Oct-20)

* Net downhill course

Last race: Waterfront HM, 7 Apr, 1:15:48

Up next: Runway5, 4 May

"CONSISTENCY IS KING"

This may be a dumb idea, but I wonder if it makes sense for a first-time marathoner, even one with a strong history in shorter distances, to start off with a canned plan like Hansons or Pfitz. They might not get you to 100% of your potential, but not too far from it, and will usually get you to the finish safe and healthy. It'll start to give you an idea of what kind of training works for you and what doesn't. Then you can build from there in successive races, either on your own or with a coach.

Dave

ccoakley

Steve, that's a lot of cramping.  You need to figure out what's going on there or else I worry it becomes psychological.

5k 24:53 (2020) |10k 52:24 (2021) |HM 1:57:14 (2019) |FM 4:24 (2007) |50k 5:57 (2022)

mmerkle

Dave: That might not be the worst idea at all. I pretty much followed Sage Canaday's plan to a T last cycle. This cycle I am still following it but playing around with it a bit.

Steve: By no means am I as experienced as just about everyone else on here but 7 twenty milers is an absolute ton for a first timer, and in my opinion a lot in general. I have run two marathons; the first I never went over 18 (but I trained stupidly for that one), the second I only did 2, but I did plenty of 15-18 milers. As to slowing down, this is something I only recently learned to embrace but boy does it pay dividends. It 1. Gives me more of a feeling of control over my different paces so I can more willingly "switch gears" during runs, and 2. Allows me to pack more mileage in without making my legs feel like dogshit when it's time for a tempo run. Great job on toughing out that brutal brutal plan though. But it does seem like you were a bit of what I call a "training star". Definitely something I've done before, we live and we learn.

SteveChCh

Hot Weather Complainer

mmerkle - As a former triathlete who used to be on the radio here says "you don't want to train like Tarzan and race like Jane".

Dave - Too late for me but I think that is sensible.  I'm coming round more to your thoughts that your first should be a horror show to learn from.

Caitlin - Yep, I'll be hoping the changes I make lead to no cramping in training which will be a good result given this next cycle will peak in the peak of summer.

Mark - Yep, I think you're right.  Going too long led to too many 20+ milers too.  But slowing down I think will help too.  The other night when I slowed right down to 5:13/km I felt like if I had a workout planned it would be so easy to crank it up, like mmerkle says.

2024 Races:

We should change the name of this place to the "Monday Morning Quarterback Thread," lol. (Or whatever expression is comparable for non-Americans. Is there one?)

Dave

JMac11

RIP Milkman

It's probably a combination of all of this stuff. Your really long build up led to too many big long runs: if you only had 12 weeks, you would have only done 3 long runs. But with 6 months of build up, there is this need to keep "building" which probably led to these crazy long runs.

I think the lesson for you Steve is that you should train for other stuff before your next marathon, and then just do a 12 week cycle to sharpen and prep specifically for the marathon. Many people who do fall marathons will just train for 5Ks in the summer for many reasons.

SteveChCh

Hot Weather Complainer

Yeah I think with the base I have now, a 12 week build up with 3-4 20+ milers is the way to go.  So that means not starting until January 23.  How would you position yourself at the start of that?  There's not too many races in December and January, and not a great time to race anyway except Park Runs.  That gives me 3 months until I even start which is fine with me - I'm doing a full 4 week recovery before I do any workouts.

I also remembered I had 2 down weeks before that big run above after my failed Rarotonga trip and then feeling completely exhausted for a few runs.  So I'd had a mini-taper but was also showing signs of pushing too far by then.

Plenty to work with!  Thanks all.

2024 Races:

Steve I agree with Dave re using Pfitz or similar. That will give you guidelines that you can't go too far wrong with.

55+ PBs 5k 18:36 June 3rd TT

" If you don't use it you lose it,  but if you use it, it wears out.

Somewhere in between is about right "