2022 Advanced Racing Thread (Read 497 times)

We should change the name of this place to the "Monday Morning Quarterback Thread," lol. (Or whatever expression is comparable for non-Americans. Is there one?)

Had to Google that! Best we have in Kiwi English is maybe 'Backseat Driver'? But turns out that has a dodgy slang meaning as well, so we might need to coin a new phrase.

50+ age-group PBs:  Half Perish 1:24:24 (June '23 Road Race) - 10km 37:52 (2022 Local Road Champs) - Track 5km 18:49 (Aug '22) - Perish Run 3:17:42

2024 Goals: Boston Perish Run Sub 3:15 - Road/Track 10km Sub 37:30 - 5km Sub 18:20

Mikkey

Mmmm Bop

We should change the name of this place to the "Monday Morning Quarterback Thread," lol. (Or whatever expression is comparable for non-Americans. Is there one?)

In the UK we call it The Labour Party. 

5k - 17:53 (4/19)   10k - 37:53 (11/18)   Half - 1:23:18 (4/19)   Full - 2:50:43 (4/19)

CommanderKeen

Cobra Commander Keen

Steve - I like JMac's idea for you, and not just because it mirrors what I've been doing this year. HM focus during the spring, 5k stuff all through summer, with about 12 weeks of marathon focus at the end.
        Maybe keep an easy LR of 23-25k while focusing on shorter distance speed so that jumping to 29-33km isn't a shock once marathon training starts to ramp up.

Does anyone else's eyes feel dried out and vision get a bit blurry for a few hours after a longer (possibly harder as well) run in cold (near freezing) conditions, or is that just me?

5k: 17:58 11/22 │ 10k: 37:55 9/21 │ HM: 1:23:22 4/22 │ M: 2:56:05 12/22

Upcoming Races:

OKC Memorial 5k - April 27

Bun Run 5k - May 4

JMac11

RIP Milkman

Had to Google that! Best we have in Kiwi English is maybe 'Backseat Driver'? But turns out that has a dodgy slang meaning as well, so we might need to coin a new phrase.

That's pretty close, but not exactly the same. Who is the main cricket player? Come up with something there.

Keen - I keep my long run around 16ish miles during my non-marathon training, so that aligns with your idea of 23-25K. You can ramp up long runs pretty easily if you've already done them before. Regarding the eyes: definitely in the winter. A strong summer wind doesn't seem to do it, but even a moderate wind in the winter will make my eyes very watery. Never blurry though. Each season has it's crazy problems: summer is heart stress on my heart and just utter exhaustion all the time. Besides the obvious numb hands I get each winter, the other thing I get is really bad post nasal drip and runny nose. I am blowing my nose out probably a few times per mile in the winter. In the summer, it's almost never.

Steve - I can't believe you don't have that many races in the heart of the summer. Here, in June and July, there are probably multiple 5Ks I can choose from every weekend within 50 miles of my home. It's the season of charity 5Ks!

5K: 16:37 (11/20)  |  10K: 34:49 (10/19)  |  HM: 1:14:57 (5/22)  |  FM: 2:36:31 (12/19) 

Mikkey

Mmmm Bop

Steve I agree with Dave re using Pfitz or similar. That will give you guidelines that you can't go too far wrong with.

I think Pfitz ‘Advanced Marathoning’ is one of the best books for a fairly newish runner to read as it tells you the basics of everything you need to know and you can either follow one of their plans or use it as a guideline. But I’ll never understand why they have the word Advanced in the title.

I remember when I first started running I assumed that anyone with a coach would automatically have an advantage and guaranteed to run a great race. Over the years I’ve realised that’s not necessarily the case and sometimes it’s a disadvantage if the coach isn’t that focused on your training. I’ve never used one, but I was lucky as there were so many knowledgeable and experienced runners in the old RWOL marathon forum who told it like it is and if you absorbed all the info then it was hard to fail and you only had yourself to blame if you messed up!

5k - 17:53 (4/19)   10k - 37:53 (11/18)   Half - 1:23:18 (4/19)   Full - 2:50:43 (4/19)

SteveChCh

Hot Weather Complainer

Keen - Yeah I think something along those lines is a good plan.  I don't want to start counting down every week to the race like I did from about the 8 week mark.

JMac - I'll confess, I don't know if there's any charity type 5km races because I've never looked into them.  The Hagley Park Run is very deep and popular and usually won in about 15 mins.  I definitely prefer the 10km distance, is it soft to avoid the 5km?

I played cricket for 20 years and there isn't an equivalent to Monday Morning Quarterbacking.  I guess it's just coulda shoulda woulda.

5km: 18:34 11/23 │ 10km: 39:10 8/23 │ HM: 1:26:48 9/23 │ M: 3:34:49 6/23

2024 Races:

Motorway Half Marathon February 25, 2024 1:29:55

Christchurch Half-Marathon April 21, 2024 1:27:34

Selwyn Marathon June 2, 2024

Dunedin Half Marathon September 15, 2024

JMac11

RIP Milkman

10K is the devil's distance. Are you mad?

5K: 16:37 (11/20)  |  10K: 34:49 (10/19)  |  HM: 1:14:57 (5/22)  |  FM: 2:36:31 (12/19) 

I love all race distances 5k to marathon. Also I hate them all.

Dave

mmerkle

10k-half is my sweet spot, those are my favorite two distances. Not so far that one little thing fucks up the whole race, not so short that you're gasping for air the last mile. Nice medium speeds, medium distances that allow me to put up a hell of a kick the last 200 meters and in general run aggressively without having to pay serious consequences.

Ian5

5k is the worst distance,but that's probably only because I've never ran less.Shorter the distance the more evil the distance.

5k 17:35,10k 36:43,10m 61:55,HM 1:24:03,Full 3:07:39

Marky_Mark_17

I remember when I first started running I assumed that anyone with a coach would automatically have an advantage and guaranteed to run a great race. Over the years I’ve realised that’s not necessarily the case and sometimes it’s a disadvantage if the coach isn’t that focused on your training. I’ve never used one, but I was lucky as there were so many knowledgeable and experienced runners in the old RWOL marathon forum who told it like it is and if you absorbed all the info then it was hard to fail and you only had yourself to blame if you messed up!

Anyone can say anything on the internet and they'll tend to only speak from their own experience and what's worked (or not) for them.  A coach on the other hand typically has a bunch of different athletes and actual skin in the game... they get it wrong, they lose business.  Not saying every coach is great (some aren't) but on balance a decent coach has the breadth of experience and direct accountability that randoms on the internet typically don't.

3,000m: 9:07.7 (Nov-21) | 5,000m: 15:39 (Dec-19) | 10,000m: 32:34 (Mar-20)  

10km: 33:15 (Sep-19) | HM: 1:09:41 (May-21)* | FM: 2:41:41 (Oct-20)

* Net downhill course

Last race: Waterfront HM, 7 Apr, 1:15:48

Up next: Runway5, 4 May

"CONSISTENCY IS KING"

JMac11

RIP Milkman

5k is the worst distance,but that's probably only because I've never ran less.Shorter the distance the more evil the distance.

I agree the 5K can be pretty painful, and yeah the mile is even worse.

The 10K to me though is so difficult to get "right." I never know when it's go time. I feel like it's at the mile 4 marker, but then I never know if that's too early and I'm going to be in a world of hurt with 800 meters to go. The 5K to me is just a very hard run the entire time, whereas the 10K is this awkward distance of not enough time to ease into things and you don't know when to push.

The half is a great race. You can ease into it in the first mile and have absolutely no issues.

SteveChCh

Hot Weather Complainer

I've only run 2 10km races in recent years, the last one when the Christchurch marathon was cancelled so I didn't really train for it so ran pretty conservatively which may be why I think I like the distance.  Plus the recovery took about 24 hours.  If I can find any from mid-December to mid-January I'll enter.  I've also got the Queenstown half in 4 weeks which I'm hoping to have a really fun experience, and a good strong finish after running the first half at comfortable pace.

I'm definitely liking the relaxed and chilled out feeling I have about the next few months of running.  My partner definitely is too.

2024 Races:

Mikkey

Mmmm Bop

Anyone can say anything on the internet and they'll tend to only speak from their own experience and what's worked (or not) for them.  A coach on the other hand typically has a bunch of different athletes and actual skin in the game... they get it wrong, they lose business.  Not saying every coach is great (some aren't) but on balance a decent coach has the breadth of experience and direct accountability that randoms on the internet typically don't.

Totally agree and I would probably see myself in that category as I’ve never claimed to be an expert and just give my own experiences which people can take or leave.

These ‘randoms on the internet’ from the old RWOL forum were actually very knowledgable and helpful….even you might have learnt something from them. The likes of rovatti, MattM, longboat will know exactly what I’m talking about.

SteveChCh

Hot Weather Complainer

Totally agree and I would probably see myself in that category as I’ve never claimed to be an expert and just give my own experiences which people can take or leave.

These ‘randoms on the internet’ from the old RWOL forum were actually very knowledgable and helpful….even you might have learnt something from them. The likes of rovatti, MattM, longboat will know exactly what I’m talking about.

I agree with both you and Mark.  There's definitely plenty of opportunities to learn from randoms on the internet, but you have to filter it to your own experience.  I've made changes based on feedback from this forum, and I don't remember any time it hasn't worked or backfired.  I've also ignored advice/winding up like taking 10 minutes off my goal marathon time   Although if I'd gone with that I might have completely crashed and burned and been at the pub earlier.

2024 Races: