2022 Advanced Racing Thread (Read 497 times)

JMac11

RIP Milkman

+1 to all of this.

NYC marathon - I have no idea what that guy was thinking.  Why would you go out at PR pace on a notoriously challenging course in poor weather?  This was a day to tuck into the pack and run for place.

Correction - he went out at world record pace at 10K. What an insane race. I'll have to get to the highlights soon

5K: 16:37 (11/20)  |  10K: 34:49 (10/19)  |  HM: 1:14:57 (5/22)  |  FM: 2:36:31 (12/19) 

Jmac sorry to hear of your NYC woes.

I killed a chicken recently do you want me to dig out the stomach and send it over ?

Flavio congrats on the 10k. I also ran 10.2 in my time trial so took the 10k strava time and added about 10 secs for the extra 10m. Pretty scientific in my opinion 

55+ PBs 5k 18:36 June 3rd TT

" If you don't use it you lose it,  but if you use it, it wears out.

Somewhere in between is about right "      

JMac: I was thinking about you this morning on my run; I could not believe how hot and humid it was, and that was early in the morning and much further north than you. I was massively dehydrated after just 13 miles, cannot imagine what it was like for you. Take it easy, recover, and regroup for next year.

2:52:16 (2018)

Marky_Mark_17

A friend of mine flew over for the race and ran a 2:46.  He had trained really well and while he was a bit frustrated by the weather, he was still stoked with the result given his PB is 2:37 from May.  He is from one of the colder parts of the country too and wouldn't have had much acclimatisation!

3,000m: 9:07.7 (Nov-21) | 5,000m: 15:39 (Dec-19) | 10,000m: 32:34 (Mar-20)  

10km: 33:15 (Sep-19) | HM: 1:09:41 (May-21)* | FM: 2:41:41 (Oct-20)

* Net downhill course

Last race: Waterfront HM, 7 Apr, 1:15:48

Up next: Runway5, 4 May

"CONSISTENCY IS KING"

JMac11

RIP Milkman

Jmac sorry to hear of your NYC woes.

I killed a chicken recently do you want me to dig out the stomach and send it over ?

No a chicken is too small. Do yall have any bigger native animals? I don't want a kiwi stomach either.

JT - thanks for checking in. It was just really bad timing for a marathon. The problem with this weather was you feel decent until after the half. It's not like it was SO hot that you were cooking at the start. When we haven't seen dew points like this in about a month, it was tough out there. I'm sure the guys who have iron stomachs did okay but this biggest takeaway for me in this marathon is I cannot run hot/humid marathons. My stomach just won't allow it. It sucks.

5K: 16:37 (11/20)  |  10K: 34:49 (10/19)  |  HM: 1:14:57 (5/22)  |  FM: 2:36:31 (12/19) 

SteveChCh

Hot Weather Complainer

5km: 18:34 11/23 │ 10km: 39:10 8/23 │ HM: 1:26:48 9/23 │ M: 3:34:49 6/23

2024 Races:

Motorway Half Marathon February 25, 2024 1:29:55

Christchurch Half-Marathon April 21, 2024 1:27:34

Selwyn Marathon June 2, 2024

Dunedin Half Marathon September 15, 2024

There seems to be a consensus

https://www.reddit.com/r/RunNYC/comments/yo0y58/that_was_fucking_awful/

Strewth. That Reddit thread's a bloodbath...

Respect to all who ran.

50+ age-group PBs:  Half Perish 1:24:24 (June '23 Road Race) - 10km 37:52 (2022 Local Road Champs) - Track 5km 18:49 (Aug '22) - Perish Run 3:17:42

2024 Goals: Boston Perish Run Sub 3:15 - Road/Track 10km Sub 37:30 - 5km Sub 18:20

Resident Historian

JMac: Nicely done to limit the damage in that weather! Recover well!

Flavio: Nice race -- certainly that should count 10k as a PB. 38:01 is getting serious fast

My early PB's were all gun time minus the difference for when I crossed the starting line. 

Mark: A surprise trsil section -- that WOULD slow you down! FTW --  excellent!

Me: Since I seem able to run consistently now, I'll try to post here more regularly. Thanks to my son's nagging me to run a half with him, I'm now signed up for the Miami Half an the end of January.

I got 25 miles last week; one unscheduled rest day off while traveling. On Saturday we arrived in Lisbon for a few days. I live in a fairly hilly area in CA, but Lisbon makes that seem flat -- from where we're staying in the old town, it's 134 steps down to a place where I can start to run. Then walking up at the end of the run...
                  The previous Sunday I found a "Carrera Popular" race in a small town near where we were in Spain. Almost every pueblo in Spain haas an annual race; this one was 6K (because... probably it's always been 6k -- this was the 38th annual race). The race was about an hour late starting (as the temps warmed), apparently because of a disagreement between the local police and the race organizers on whether the course was properly cleared or not. Most of the race was an out and back, gently up the hill above the town; it was certainly nice to reach the turnaround. About 800m was on cobblestones, and the finish was ~100M on tile(!) in the town center park.

I ran ok, my pace was a lot better than a 5k earlier this year. At least I'm improving, but I got the dreaded 4th place in my 10-yr age group.
                  (I'm not mentioning my slow paces and times here until I get more competitive)

Neil

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                  “Some people will tell you that slow is good – but I'm here to tell you that fast is better. I've always believed this, in spite of the trouble it's caused me. - Hunter S. Thompson

JMac11

RIP Milkman

There seems to be a consensus

https://www.reddit.com/r/RunNYC/comments/yo0y58/that_was_fucking_awful/

Ha I saw that thread and read it last night. It made me feel a lot better about my terrible performance.

Turned out to be the hottest NYC marathon since they moved to the first weekend in November in 1986. One thing I've realized over the last 24 hours is just how different the water needs are in a half vs. a full. Obviously I always knew that given I never take liquids in during a half, but I thought that if I could take water at every station (besides ones where I had a gel) that I would be okay. Ultimately if it's that humid, you just can't get down enough water, at least with my shitty stomach and high sweat rate. I was taking 2 cups at every station: dumping one on my head and took the one with more water to drink. I even grabbed a cold water bottle from some guy handing them out and got down a good chunk there. There was no salvaging that race for us amateurs, unless you have an iron stomach and can take down 6 oz of water every 6 minutes or you are a low sweater.

Anyway, I'll stick around here just to see how the everyone else racing does the rest of the year, and finish out my role as thread lead (speaking of which, we're going to need a new one next year). I am not 100% final on what next year looks like, but my guess is I'll take some time off, then just do easy running for run commuting over the tough winter months and then go from there. I am so excited to not be doing any training during the winter. I've effectively trained for 3 straight marathons, dealt with some tough ups and downs with injuries, and I need a cycle off at a minimum.

CommanderKeen

Cobra Commander Keen

Flavio - While I'd like to think that that approach by my mom helps with dismantling erroneous arguments, that runs into the issue that people typically can't be logicked (making up my own word here) out of a position they didn't come to logically in the first place.

Awesome family race, btw. Also, fun tidbit: A guy who used to live in my area, who I ran with many times during group runs moved to England maybe 3 years ago. I started seeing runs posted from Porto on Strava, and he ran the marathon there!

Mikkey - You got one!

Mark - Excellent win in the half!

Steve - Nice week.

JMac - I'm interested in a RR for more details, but it seems to me like you did really well for the conditions given the stomach issues.
                      Knowing you were going to vomit if you didn't stop? I know those feels.

Really nice week here, capped by my biggest LR in a year (moved to Sunday to accommodate DD1's early football (soccer) tournament schedule.
                      Odd occurrence in the LR: I was taking gels about every 4.5-5 miles. Around mile 14 the gel felt heavy hitting my stomach, so I didn't take all of it. My stomach didn't improve or get worse (and didn't affect my pacing) at all for the remainder of the workout, but 2.5 miles into my 4 mile cooldown my GI system felt like it was going to revolt and I'd throw up. I stopped and rested for a few minutes (the only interruption in the run) and felt fine afterwards.
                      Certainly not what I wanted or expected, since I have been trying gels at that rate during my LRs for weeks now, along with also trying them during HM effort portions of my Wednesday workouts - all without issue.

Weekly for period: From: 10/31/2022 To 11/06/2022

Date Name mi km Duration Avg/mi Avg/km Elevation Gain
                      in ft
                      10/31 1 rabbit 15.01 24.15 02:01:15 08:05 05:01 584
                      10/31 2 hawks 5.06 8.13 00:42:49 08:28 05:16 148
                      11/01 The gate closes at 5:46 am 8.11 13.04 01:12:43 08:58 05:35 259
                      11/02 20' HMe, 5' 10k, 12' HMe, 3' 10k, 5' HMe 15.06 24.23 01:50:01 07:18 04:32 413
                      11/02 9 turtles 5.00 8.05 00:43:00 08:36 05:20 259
                      11/03 60° is hot now. Bleh. 8.65 13.93 01:17:59 09:01 05:36 335
                      11/04 I'm undecided on the new headlamp 12.05 19.40 01:40:56 08:23 05:12 518
                      11/04 1 heron, and aren't afternoon runs supposed to be 20° warmer than morning runs instead of 20° colder? 4.10 6.60 00:35:04 08:33 05:19 171
                      11/05 Long shakeout before the Big One tomorrow - Park Perimeter Loop in New York 6.06 9.75 00:51:45 08:32 05:18 0
                      11/06 Big One. 6E, 12M effort, 4E 22.01 35.42 02:40:13 07:17 04:31 827

Total distance: 101.11mi

5k: 17:58 11/22 │ 10k: 37:55 9/21 │ HM: 1:23:22 4/22 │ M: 2:56:05 12/22

Upcoming Races:

OKC Memorial 5k - April 27

Bun Run 5k - May 4

mmerkle

Now that the race stuff is over. I didn't post my week from last week because it was a bad week.

I took off on 10/31 intentionally, not because anything hurt. Ran 9-10 miles easy on the 1st and second and noticed a weird painful spot above my right ankle on the inside of my leg, especially when I turned my foot inwards.

So I bit the bullet and took off  Thursday and Friday. However, I threw in some elliptical and stationary bike work for cardio and to maintain fitness sorta. Did a 2 mile test run on the treadmill Saturday and felt fine, but threw in more elliptical work.

Yesterday I ran 9 easy without issues. I still feel the tiniest soreness in that same spot but only if I intentionally move my foot inwards by a lot. So, I missed my last long run. Hopefully that doesn't matter a ton.

From here I am going to cautiously put in as many miles as I can, especially at tempo/threshold paces. If anyone has thoughts or advice, as usual it's much appreciated. But JMac and Steve it looks like I might be slightly undertraining the last couple weeks after all. Dammit...

ch17

It's Tuesday every day

Greetings, all! Reporting in... but, first of all:

@Marky_Mark_17 and Flavio: congrats on your win/PR, respectively! Always a great day when of those happens. Enjoy.

@JMac11: Ugh. I am so sorry. FWIW, googling “organs for sale” returned only pictures of musical instruments. Otherwise we could have crowdfunded you an upgrade tout suite.

Okay, the week, Portuguese calendar customs notwithstanding:

30 Oct – 5 Nov 2022: 65 mi in 10:23:34 -> 9:36 min/mi pace

30 Oct   9.1 mi    1:28:05  9:44 min/mi (hilly; plus I was cold)

31 Oct   8.7 mi    1:22:41  9:31

1 Nov    10.1 mi  1:37:07  9:37

2 Nov    10.4 mi  1:39:31  9:36

3 Nov    9.4 mi    1:29:45  9:35

4 Nov    9.1 mi    1:27:45  9:40

5 Nov    8.3 mi    1:18:39  9:28

Summary: lots of little problems plus insomnia, so just ground out the mileage (goal was 64 mi) and got’er done. Think I’ve got a handle on the insomnia; will report back next week if it turns out I don’t.

Thanks for welcoming me to the group. Knowing I was going to be typing this in kept me motivated.

Marky_Mark_17

Flavio - congrats on the PB... awesome!

Longboat - not a fan of the cobblestones!

Keen - hey at least the gel weirdness happened in a random LR and not on race day! Anything different that you ate that might explain it?

MMerkle - sounds like maybe a peroneal tendon issue?  Take it from me, slightly undertrained is DEFINITELY better than overtrained.

ch17 - welcome and... insomnia? That sounds rough. Hope you get that sorted!

3,000m: 9:07.7 (Nov-21) | 5,000m: 15:39 (Dec-19) | 10,000m: 32:34 (Mar-20)  

10km: 33:15 (Sep-19) | HM: 1:09:41 (May-21)* | FM: 2:41:41 (Oct-20)

* Net downhill course

Last race: Waterfront HM, 7 Apr, 1:15:48

Up next: Runway5, 4 May

"CONSISTENCY IS KING"

Mikkey

Mmmm Bop

Now that the race stuff is over. I didn't post my week from last week because it was a bad week.

I took off on 10/31 intentionally, not because anything hurt. Ran 9-10 miles easy on the 1st and second and noticed a weird painful spot above my right ankle on the inside of my leg, especially when I turned my foot inwards.

So I bit the bullet and took off  Thursday and Friday. However, I threw in some elliptical and stationary bike work for cardio and to maintain fitness sorta. Did a 2 mile test run on the treadmill Saturday and felt fine, but threw in more elliptical work.

Yesterday I ran 9 easy without issues. I still feel the tiniest soreness in that same spot but only if I intentionally move my foot inwards by a lot. So, I missed my last long run. Hopefully that doesn't matter a ton.

From here I am going to cautiously put in as many miles as I can, especially at tempo/threshold paces. If anyone has thoughts or advice, as usual it's much appreciated. But JMac and Steve it looks like I might be slightly undertraining the last couple weeks after all. Dammit...

I agree with Marky in that it’s possibly a peroneal tendon issue. I’ve used KT tape in the past which I think helps and worth a try, especially with the faster runs. Go into the race slightly undertrained rather than risk making it worse. If you’ve been using the elliptical then you could always do a workout at HR the equivalent of a tempo/threshold run. I’ve always found the elliptical MUCH harder effort than the treadmill at the same HR Smile

Marky - Congrats on the win. 👍

Flavio - That’s an impressive 10.2k run!

Milkman - This should be your new avatar…

5k - 17:53 (4/19)   10k - 37:53 (11/18)   Half - 1:23:18 (4/19)   Full - 2:50:43 (4/19)

SteveChCh

Hot Weather Complainer

Ha I saw that thread and read it last night. It made me feel a lot better about my terrible performance.

Turned out to be the hottest NYC marathon since they moved to the first weekend in November in 1986. One thing I've realized over the last 24 hours is just how different the water needs are in a half vs. a full. Obviously I always knew that given I never take liquids in during a half, but I thought that if I could take water at every station (besides ones where I had a gel) that I would be okay. Ultimately if it's that humid, you just can't get down enough water, at least with my shitty stomach and high sweat rate. I was taking 2 cups at every station: dumping one on my head and took the one with more water to drink. I even grabbed a cold water bottle from some guy handing them out and got down a good chunk there. There was no salvaging that race for us amateurs, unless you have an iron stomach and can take down 6 oz of water every 6 minutes or you are a low sweater.

Anyway, I'll stick around here just to see how the everyone else racing does the rest of the year, and finish out my role as thread lead (speaking of which, we're going to need a new one next year). I am not 100% final on what next year looks like, but my guess is I'll take some time off, then just do easy running for run commuting over the tough winter months and then go from there. I am so excited to not be doing any training during the winter. I've effectively trained for 3 straight marathons, dealt with some tough ups and downs with injuries, and I need a cycle off at a minimum.

4 weeks of very easy running and no pressure was absolute bliss for me.  The thinking changes so much when you remember running can be fun.

May be a cartoon of one or more people and text that says "HEY, WE HAVEN'T TALKED SINCE YOUR MARATHON. HOW'D IT GO? WELL... THINGS WERE FINE THROUGH MILE 18. THEN THE WHEELS FELL OFF. LEGS WERE ANCHORS AND EVERY STEP OF THE FINAL MILES WAS PURE, DISTILLED AGONY. CRIED, CHAFED MYSELF RAW, AND POOPED MY PANTS. ALSO STILL CAN'T WALK DOWN STAIRS WITHOUT WINCING. WHEN'S YOUR NEXT ONE? FOUR MONTHS. ©2021 MARK REMY UMB www.dumbrunner.com/support"

5km: 18:34 11/23 │ 10km: 39:10 8/23 │ HM: 1:26:48 9/23 │ M: 3:34:49 6/23

2024 Races:

Motorway Half Marathon February 25, 2024 1:29:55

Christchurch Half-Marathon April 21, 2024 1:27:34

Selwyn Marathon June 2, 2024

Dunedin Half Marathon September 15, 2024