2022 Advanced Racing Thread (Read 497 times)

SteveChCh

Hot Weather Complainer

mmerkle - Some great advice above on how to manage it.  As long as it comes right, missing a run or 2 won't hurt you at all (and probably help).

Keen - Massive.  I'm really looking forward to tracking CIM this year.  Let's hope your direct descendants don't ruin the party again.

ch17 - Nice week especially with insomnia.  I've had issues with that too and it's like being drunk all the time (and not in a good way).

Longboat - Great to hear you're running consistently again and good to see you here.

5km: 18:34 11/23 │ 10km: 39:10 8/23 │ HM: 1:26:48 9/23 │ M: 3:34:49 6/23

2024 Races:

Motorway Half Marathon February 25, 2024 1:29:55

Christchurch Half-Marathon April 21, 2024 1:27:34

Selwyn Marathon June 2, 2024

Dunedin Half Marathon September 15, 2024

Fishyone

Flavio- Nice run! A PR is sweeet.

Mark- Keep winning until you get sick of winning!

JMac- Nothing wrong with taking some time to reset. Were you only drinking water or switching back and forth with Gatorade? I find that my stomach doesn't like too much water but I can handle gatorade.  I'm probably 3-1 gatorade to water ratio.  Just don't dump the wrong cup over your head or it makes for a sticky race.

Longboat- Nice to have another old timer around here.

KEEN- Killer LR I wouldn't worry about the stomach thing.

MerK- I think you and I are both at the point in the cycle where more damage can be done by overdoing things.

CH-   Nice week! Do you have anything coming up?  For sleep, I'm all about the melatonin!!

My Week: 55 Miles with 2 workouts.  Yasso 800's on Wednesday which went really well all of the 800s were right under 3 which was the goal and an improvement over a couple of weeks ago. Sunday was 2 hours with 6 miles alternating HMP-MP. It is hard to take rest days and cut back but I'm committed to trying a steeper taper for this run.

5K 18:36 (2023), 10K 39:40 (2022), 1/2 1:24:37 (2023), full 2:58:36 (2015) 

mmerkle

Mark/Mikkey I think I didn't describe it well. The discomfort is right above my medial malleolus. It feels like a mildly strained/overused muscle, could be part of my calf. I'm afraid to say it of course but it seems like it's on it's way out?

I'm pretty paranoid about fitness loss and losing my peak. I'm reading that with 5 days off or less, you don't have a ton to worry about and should be able to resume where you were. Since I'm supposed to start tapering a bit anyway, I'm hoping this won't be a big deal. I just can't figure out what to focus on to optimize my remaining time.

My guess is any LR over 12-13 miles isn't worth it. I'm assuming I should do lots of easy miles, lots of strides and strength training, and a fair amount of time at race pace but not a ton. I'm thinking lots of stuff like 10-15 minute repeats at race pace. Maybe one or two things near VO2 max.

JMac11

RIP Milkman

Merkle - did you look into posterior tibial tendonitis? I mentioned that a few pages ago, not sure if you addressed it and I just missed it. That whole feeling of pain turning your foot inward is exactly what PTT felt like for me when I had it.

Fishy - Yasso 800s? I know you don't like when this thread gets too Walton-y, so I'll just say: get out of here with that shit!!! Show me some Jack Daniels workouts, not this RW hobby jogger shit!

longboat - so glad you're going to be posting here more! Love having you around. We're good for motivation too and accountability.

Keen - yep, what you felt is exactly what I had. It was like I can stretch this out for another mile, but no way in hell I'm making it the whole way without vomiting. And I figured once I vomited, that was it. So it was better to just stop and burp it out a bit. May have been an off day: wouldn't worry about it if you're not generally having stomach issues.

CH - I hope you didn't google that at work! And having to report to the group is big: I would be lying if it didn't cross my mind how upset I was having to come back to this thread and report how badly the race went.

5K: 16:37 (11/20)  |  10K: 34:49 (10/19)  |  HM: 1:14:57 (5/22)  |  FM: 2:36:31 (12/19) 

mmerkle

JMac Yeah I did look into that. I think there's a chance that's what it is, or WAS hopefully. Took one more day off today and did some strength training. Also, I've been reading a bit about Jack Daniels. Do you know some good sources for looking more into his training and findings?

Thanks to all for the input/suggestions.

CommanderKeen

Cobra Commander Keen

Mark - Food was pretty standard, especially what I ate before/during the run. I presume it was a one-off thing and I have more chances to practice. If something goes sideways again I may panic and try different nutrition during remaining runs.

Steve - That makes two of us! I may literally move into my parents' converted garage apartment for the last week before the race to minimize contact with my little outbreak monkeys.

JMac - It's amazing how much better you can feel after throwing up in a race, huh? (cites own experience at Dallas 2019 & CIM 2021).

5k: 17:58 11/22 │ 10k: 37:55 9/21 │ HM: 1:23:22 4/22 │ M: 2:56:05 12/22

Upcoming Races:

OKC Memorial 5k - April 27

Bun Run 5k - May 4

Mikkey

Mmmm Bop

Mikkey - You got one!

I know, can you believe that I actually won a Moose Mug!!!

Really looking forward to tracking you at CIM. 👍

5k - 17:53 (4/19)   10k - 37:53 (11/18)   Half - 1:23:18 (4/19)   Full - 2:50:43 (4/19)

I was today years old when I learned that the Moose Mug is an actual mug, and not just a conceptual thing.

Dave

Fishyone

Says the man who just posted his "sabatical" from Marathons

Put on your Big Boy pants....It's almost 2 weeks till Philly plenty of time to rest up and hit it again 

Fishy - Yasso 800s? I know you don't like when this thread gets too Walton-y, so I'll just say: get out of here with that shit!!! Show me some Jack Daniels workouts, not this RW hobby jogger shit!

Fishyone

Yes it is real... no urban legends here. And to do it with minutes to spare!!  Must have been a net downhill course on a Saturday during a solar eclipse

I know, can you believe that I actually won a Moose Mug!!!

Really looking forward to tracking you at CIM. 👍

JMac11

RIP Milkman

Says the man who just posted his "sabatical" from Marathons

Put on your Big Boy pants....It's almost 2 weeks till Philly plenty of time to rest up and hit it again 

I just signed up for the NYC Half in March. My wife almost divorced me (her exact quote was "if you put any serious training into this I'm going to murder you)

I forgot to mention: I saw slammin/nimmals on the course cheering. I didn't know he was even out there, and if you've ever run NYC, the chances of seeing someone in the crowd is basically zero. I just happened to be running right by him, heard him shout out my name, and I gave him a fist bump. That was the biggest surprise of the race. It really pumped me up, even though it was mile 25 and I was cooked.

5K: 16:37 (11/20)  |  10K: 34:49 (10/19)  |  HM: 1:14:57 (5/22)  |  FM: 2:36:31 (12/19) 

mmerkle

Whoa, didn't realize there is an actual Moose Mug to go with a Moose Mug performance. Now that's DEFINITELY a goal of mine lol.

ccoakley

I just signed up for the NYC Half in March. My wife almost divorced me (her exact quote was "if you put any serious training into this I'm going to murder you)

All the more reason to get the double BOB and run with the kids.

5k 24:53 (2020) |10k 52:24 (2021) |HM 1:57:14 (2019) |FM 4:24 (2007) |50k 5:57 (2022)

Marky_Mark_17

The thinking changes so much when you remember running can be fun.

This is so true.  The last 2-3 weeks I've actually remembered how fun running can be.  With summer on the horizon there will even be weather complaining soon!

3,000m: 9:07.7 (Nov-21) | 5,000m: 15:39 (Dec-19) | 10,000m: 32:34 (Mar-20)  

10km: 33:15 (Sep-19) | HM: 1:09:41 (May-21)* | FM: 2:41:41 (Oct-20)

* Net downhill course

Last race: Waterfront HM, 7 Apr, 1:15:48

Up next: Runway5, 4 May

"CONSISTENCY IS KING"

Mikkey

Mmmm Bop

Whoa, didn't realize there is an actual Moose Mug to go with a Moose Mug performance. Now that's DEFINITELY a goal of mine lol.

If little old me can do it, then anyone can do it.

Please transfer $50 into my PayPal account and I’ll tell you how it’s done. 

5k - 17:53 (4/19)   10k - 37:53 (11/18)   Half - 1:23:18 (4/19)   Full - 2:50:43 (4/19)