2022 Advanced Racing Thread (Read 497 times)

mmerkle

Dave/Keen Have good points about morning runs. I still don't like them much but I always feel much better throughout the day knowing I already got after it.

JMac My stomach isn't quite as bad but I have very similar issues. During the Salisbury marathon I took two gels successfully, then attempted to get a third one down right around mile 20 and almost puked so I threw it away. I'm wondering if it's better to try to get them in earlier, so that by mile 17 or 18 you already have three in you. I know some people stick to one every 6 miles or 45 minutes.

JMac - man I don't know what to tell people who have stomach issues, other than to keep experimenting, and thoughts & prayers. It's another very personal thing. I guess I've been lucky - the first gel I ever tried was the standard Gu that was handed out at a race. And it didn't bother my stomach, and have used it ever since. One (caffeinated) Gu every 6 miles of a marathon, timed before a water station so I can wash it down. I don't know whether I could do better for actual fueling purposes, but at least it's never made me sick, so I've never messed around with it. Most races I've tanked I've been able to attribute to another factor - heat, lack of training, poor pacing. I think as long as you are getting some calories in, "proper fueling" is lower down the list of race performance issues, at least for a hobbyjogger. I've also never had trouble taking water, other than...taking water. I always tell people to stop and get a good drink, it's worth the 5 seconds lost. But I never do it, I always drink on the run, and it's hard to get a lot of volume that way. You can get by on a cool day, but when it's warm it's easy to get dehydrated, and then things spiral out of control.

What was the deal with that guy who posted about always being starving during LRs? I don't think I've ever felt hungry while running, regardless of what I have or haven't eaten. I'm glad he found a system, but...a PB&J, 3 eggs, and a banana? Holy shit that's a lot of calories.

Dave

Marky_Mark_17

It does not bother me so much to get up early, even if I was up late. When the alarm goes off (or earlier), I just get up. (DW sets her alarm at least 30 min before she actually has to get up.)  

This made me laugh because it's very similar in our house.

My wife will set 3 alarms and generally gets up around 30 min after the first one goes off.

I set 1 alarm and normally wake up a few minutes before it goes off.  I normally can't sleep past around 6am even if I had a late night.

Our 5 year old will generally wake up when it's least convenient for everyone else (i.e. early on the weekend and late on school days).

3,000m: 9:07.7 (Nov-21) | 5,000m: 15:39 (Dec-19) | 10,000m: 32:34 (Mar-20)  

10km: 33:15 (Sep-19) | HM: 1:09:41 (May-21)* | FM: 2:41:41 (Oct-20)

* Net downhill course

Last race: Waterfront HM, 7 Apr, 1:15:48

Up next: Runway5, 4 May

"CONSISTENCY IS KING"

darkwave

Mother of Cats

Jmac - there's a book called "The Athlete's Gut" that might be worth checking out.

Morning running - for most of my career, I've had a fair amount of control over when I start my workday, but not that much control over whether I can take a midday break or when my workday ends.  Thus I like to get everything done in the morning.

Additionally, in the DC/Northern Virginia area, we regularly have afternoon/evening thunderstorms in the summer that can prevent you from running (this is assuming that you don't have a treadmill and don't run in thunderstorms).  Running in the morning generally avoids that issue.

Everyone's gotta running blog; I'm the only one with a POOL-RUNNING blog.

And...if you want a running Instagram where all the pictures are of cats, I've got you covered.

darkwave

Mother of Cats

This made me laugh because it's very similar in our house.

My wife will set 3 alarms and generally gets up around 30 min after the first one goes off.

Not quite the same thing, but my partner likes to set all the clocks 10 minutes fast to ensure that he isn't late for anything.

I have honestly never understood how that works or why it would make a difference.  All that it has accomplished for me is that I no longer trust any clock/time keeping device except the ones on my phone or wrist.

Everyone's gotta running blog; I'm the only one with a POOL-RUNNING blog.

And...if you want a running Instagram where all the pictures are of cats, I've got you covered.

Running Problem

Problem Child

Not quite the same thing, but my partner likes to set all the clocks 10 minutes fast to ensure that he isn't late for anything.

I have honestly never understood how that works or why it would make a difference.  All that it has accomplished for me is that I no longer trust any clock/time keeping device except the ones on my phone or wrist.

You look at the clock, it says it is 7am and you know you have to leave at 6:50 to get to work so you're already late because it's 7am according to the clock. The tricky part is not letting yourself FULLY accept it's actually 6:50 and you will be on time because the clock says it is 7am.

Many of us aren't sure what the hell point you are trying to make and no matter how we guess, it always seems to be something else. Which usually means a person is doing it on purpose.

VDOT 53.37 

5k18:xx | Marathon 2:55:22

SteveChCh

Hot Weather Complainer

My Mum did the same things.  It was infuriating.  "Mum, we're running late" "no we're not that clock is 7 minutes fast"...so she knew how slow the clocks were so what was the point of them being slow???

5km: 18:34 11/23 │ 10km: 39:10 8/23 │ HM: 1:26:48 9/23 │ M: 3:34:49 6/23

2024 Races:

Motorway Half Marathon February 25, 2024 1:29:55

Christchurch Half-Marathon April 21, 2024 1:27:34

Selwyn Marathon June 2, 2024

Dunedin Half Marathon September 15, 2024

Marky_Mark_17

My Mum did the same things.  It was infuriating.  "Mum, we're running late" "no we're not that clock is 7 minutes fast"...so she knew how slow the clocks were so what was the point of them being slow???

There was a friend of ours who was ALWAYS early to parties. It got to the point we would actually tell him it started 30 minutes later than what we told everyone else.  It actually worked pretty well, but I'm not sure we could accomplish it in this day and age where everyone organises stuff on social media.

3,000m: 9:07.7 (Nov-21) | 5,000m: 15:39 (Dec-19) | 10,000m: 32:34 (Mar-20)  

10km: 33:15 (Sep-19) | HM: 1:09:41 (May-21)* | FM: 2:41:41 (Oct-20)

* Net downhill course

Last race: Waterfront HM, 7 Apr, 1:15:48

Up next: Runway5, 4 May

"CONSISTENCY IS KING"

flavio80

Intl. correspondent

There was a friend of ours who was ALWAYS early to parties. It got to the point we would actually tell him it started 30 minutes later than what we told everyone else.  It actually worked pretty well, but I'm not sure we could accomplish it in this day and age where everyone organises stuff on social media.

That was me at every party ever, I would sometimes arrive before the organizers.

Except most Brazilians have zero regard for appointments so it was more like they said the time was from 1 to 2 hours early so that people would arrive on time.

Still a few people would arrive late and a good third of people would not show up at all even though they've guaranteed they'd be there 🤪

I'm bound by the clock so always infuriated by that, so when I moved to Northern Italy suddenly I felt I was in a magic world where people mostly abide by their appointments.

PRs: 1500 4:54.1 2019 - 5K 17:53 2023 - 10K 37:55 2023 - HM 1:21:59 2021

Up next: some 800m race (or time trials) / Also place in the top 20% in a trail race

Tool to generate Strava weekly

Mikkey

Mmmm Bop

I never need to set my alarm clock as I’m always awake.

My boy Tyson is looking good and just had his second vaccination and starting to look like a proper whippet now. ❤️

He’s not an anti-vaxxer thank goodness. 

5k - 17:53 (4/19)   10k - 37:53 (11/18)   Half - 1:23:18 (4/19)   Full - 2:50:43 (4/19)

Fishyone

I'm with Merk and DW on morning runs. I now have much more control over the start of my day and I absolutely feel better when I've gotten the morning run under my belt.  Nothing worse that planning a lunch run then having a last minute zoom meeting and having to stress about when I'm going to fit in the run.

I found the cliff bloks (caffinated) work the best for me and have stuck with them.  My stomach seems to approve.  I tried the maurteen after everyone raved about them here but the taste didn't suit me.  It was like trying to choke down tasteless jello.  On my slow steady LRs in the fall a couple of pieces of Haloween candy often find their way into my pockets and are a welcome treat! 

5K 18:36 (2023), 10K 39:40 (2022), 1/2 1:24:37 (2023), full 2:58:36 (2015) 

AndyTN

Overweight per CDC BMI

What was the deal with that guy who posted about always being starving during LRs? I don't think I've ever felt hungry while running, regardless of what I have or haven't eaten. I'm glad he found a system, but...a PB&J, 3 eggs, and a banana? Holy shit that's a lot of calories.

Memphis / 38 male

5k - 20:39 / 10k - 43:48 / Half - 1:34:47 / Full - 3:38:10

Dave

Pain is my friend

About 15 years ago I was a mix of morning and nights. My job makes it so I can't run nights very often. I work 4 ten hour days. If the family wants to see me or I see them, I have to run mornings. I get out the door most mornings at 4-4:30 am. I started last Friday at 3:30 to get in a 15 miler before work. Most weekends I start at 5 am. To get in a 5-6 hour trail run and not be gone most of the day I start early for the wife. I love the early morning. Not many cars or people.

Re: morning vs evening people: I feel like this is akin to a time zone thing. When you first try to make the switch you will feel "jet-lagged" for a few days before your body adapts.
                              The thing is that it's not simply how early someone wakes up. If you slept at 9pm you will be up and bouncy by 6am. If you slept at 1am you will not be up and bouncy by 6am.
                              So if you wish to become a morning person you will have to move a chunk of 3 hours from your evening to your morning. So you're now gonna have dinner at 6 or 7pm and be in bed by 10pm tops.
                              It's doable, but harder if you depend on other people, IIRC your wife cooks your dinner and she's not gonna start cooking at 5pm because you need to eat at 6pm LOL

ATY 24   141.445 2019 1st

Bear 100 22:08 2021 

Jackpot 100 Feb 14:59 - 5th

Pulse endurance 48 hr 175.3 miles

Bonnevile Backyard ultra 

Ute 100 Aug

24 hour loop race?

Pain is my friend

I get hungry sometimes during my LRs. "PB&J, 3 eggs, and a banana" isn't that much for an ultra running. I will sometimes pack 2 frozen burritos, an apple, the kids fruit snacks, a twinkie/donut and more in my pack for a long run. Yes I will be out for 4-6 hours on trail.  When I train for a marathon I will do gels. But most of the time it’s real food.

ATY 24   141.445 2019 1st

Bear 100 22:08 2021 

Jackpot 100 Feb 14:59 - 5th

Pulse endurance 48 hr 175.3 miles

Bonnevile Backyard ultra 

Ute 100 Aug

24 hour loop race?