2022 Advanced Racing Thread (Read 497 times)

JMac11

RIP Milkman

Jmac - there's a book called "The Athlete's Gut" that might be worth checking out.

Ordered (through a local bookstore even though it's more of a pain than Amazon, just because walking through a bookstore is a joy I hope never goes away). I used to get super nauseous even in 5Ks, so a book like this might help a lot. Thanks for the recommendation! I will say my biggest fear is that I go through another big cycle and hit another stomach issue. I totally understand the fear now you guys who have cramps get: the "I can't go through this again" type feeling.

Mikkey - I'll never get tired of your dog pics. Keep em coming.

Flavio - your next place to live has to be Japan if you like being on time.

mmerkle - I'm definitely going down 1 gel, but it's not like I take a gel and feel immediately sick. Either way though, feels like 1 less gel in my stomach to allow more room for water makes sense.

5K: 16:37 (11/20)  |  10K: 34:49 (10/19)  |  HM: 1:14:57 (5/22)  |  FM: 2:36:31 (12/19) 

zebano

I get hungry sometimes during my LRs. "PB&J, 3 eggs, and a banana" isn't that much for an ultra running. I will sometimes pack 2 frozen burritos, an apple, the kids fruit snacks, a twinkie/donut and more in my pack for a long run. Yes I will be out for 4-6 hours on trail.  When I train for a marathon I will do gels. But most of the time it’s real food.

I generate a lot of excess heat when I run but I cannot imagine generating enough to make 2 frozen burritos palatable.

1600 - 5:23 (2018), 5k - 19:33 (2018), 10k - 41:20 (2021), half - 1:38:57 (2018), Marathon - 3:37:17 (2018)

JMac11

RIP Milkman

Gear question - I'm in the market for new socks (my current ones are starting to wear very thin and I need to replace effectively all of them). The only issue I have with my feet is I do get black toenails (yes, my shoes are big enough, I have a thumb's width at least between my big toes and the end of my shoe).

Has anyone used Injinji socks before? People seem to love these to help with blisters.

Or any other recommendations of running socks you love?

5K: 16:37 (11/20)  |  10K: 34:49 (10/19)  |  HM: 1:14:57 (5/22)  |  FM: 2:36:31 (12/19) 

Fishyone

to allow more room for water makes sense.

Are you drinking only water?  I have what I consider an iron stomach when it comes to sports drinks and gels/bloks but water does not do well for me in marathons (or other races really). I'm 3-1 Gatorade in marathons only taking water if I'm really sick of the taste.

5K 18:36 (2023), 10K 39:40 (2022), 1/2 1:24:37 (2023), full 2:58:36 (2015) 

JMac11

RIP Milkman

Are you drinking only water?  I have what I consider an iron stomach when it comes to sports drinks and gels/bloks but water does not do well for me in marathons (or other races really). I'm 3-1 Gatorade in marathons only taking water if I'm really sick of the taste.

Wow really? That seems backwards. I feel like people get sick of Gatorade. Why would water make you more sick?

flavio80

Intl. correspondent

Jmac - it seems to me you have a rather bad sweat system, but your stomach is fine. You sweat too much and aren't able to replenish in time. Maybe you also have hiatus hernia which sort of throttles how much stuff you can intake.

Re: socks I wear very simple and cheap ones from Decathlon

Do note though that shoes are tridimensional objects

Your shoes might be long enough, one extra inch is even excessive perhaps, but what is their midfoot volume? Maybe your toes are getting pressured from above. I know that cause I have super high arches so I have to look for shoes with a high midfoot volume or else it strangles the top of my foot where the toes start

PRs: 1500 4:54.1 2019 - 5K 17:53 2023 - 10K 37:55 2023 - HM 1:21:59 2021

Up next: no idea

Tool to generate Strava weekly

Running Problem

Problem Child

Gear question - I'm in the market for new socks (my current ones are starting to wear very thin and I need to replace effectively all of them). The only issue I have with my feet is I do get black toenails (yes, my shoes are big enough, I have a thumb's width at least between my big toes and the end of my shoe).

Has anyone used Injinji socks before? People seem to love these to help with blisters.

I’ve used them. They’re kind of a PITA to put on and flip the toes out on laundry day compared to non-toe socks.  I wore them for my 50 miler and I don’t recall any blisters.  The race actually gave a pair out as part of the swag. I’ve no complains other than ‘toe socks suck when you have to deal with the toe portion.’

Many of us aren't sure what the hell point you are trying to make and no matter how we guess, it always seems to be something else. Which usually means a person is doing it on purpose.

VDOT 53.37 

5k18:xx | Marathon 2:55:22

Fishyone

Wow really? That seems backwards. I feel like people get sick of Gatorade. Why would water make you more sick?

I agree it seems strange but for me it is absolutely true.  The few times I tried more water I experienced the only side stiches I've ever had during a race.  Weird, I know, but maybe practice with only gatorade or gatorade mixed with water and see how your stomach reacts. Could be your body feels the electrolyte imbalance and is reacting by rejecting water when it might embrace the salt in sports drinks. I know when I'm running a lot in warmer weather I absolutely crave salty foods and add salt to dinner most nights.  The body knows and drives cravings.

I used to do a mix of water & Gatorade during marathons - water at every aid stations, water + Gatorade at every other one (roughly). But I've sort of evolved to water only. I never drink Gatorade during training; I like the taste, and it doesn't bother my stomach, but I just don't bother. It usually works out fine, but for a warm race I probably need the extra sodium/calories. I sometimes crave it afterwards. Races that offer Nuun as their sports drink can go fuck themselves, that stuff is disgusting.

My socks are all Feetures High Performance Cushion. I've just found them to be most comfortable for me. My only concern is they seem to fairly quickly get a hole in the left big toe. But I think all my socks do that and it's somehow more a function of my toe than the sock. I rarely get blisters, only in extreme circumstances, and I've managed to never lose a toenail. But I don't think it's as simple as sock brand or shoe size, it seems there are people just more naturally susceptible to losing toenails - some combination of your shoes, your gait, and the anatomy of your feet.

Dave

Marky_Mark_17

Thorlos Experia.

Last for ages, super comfortable.

All Thorlos are good but the Experia are a bit thinner and I prefer the feel of them.

3,000m: 9:07.7 (Nov-21) | 5,000m: 15:39 (Dec-19) | 10,000m: 32:34 (Mar-20)  

10km: 33:15 (Sep-19) | HM: 1:09:41 (May-21)* | FM: 2:41:41 (Oct-20)

* Net downhill course

Last race: Maraetai HM, 10 Mar, DNF

Up next: Waterfront HM, 7 Apr

"CONSISTENCY IS KING"

Fishyone

Races that offer Nuun as their sports drink can go fuck themselves, that stuff is disgusting.

Agree 100% with this sentiment!! I'd rather drink dirty pond water...

CommanderKeen

Cobra Commander Keen

Agree 100% with this sentiment!! I'd rather drink dirty pond water...

Same. Tried some in prep for CIM and decided I'd just drink water.

5k: 17:58 11/22 │ 10k: 37:55 9/21 │ HM: 1:23:22 4/22 │ M: 2:56:05 12/22

Upcoming Races:

Mikkey

Mmmm Bop

Most of my running socks are Steigen and have a money back guarantee if you develop blisters. They also look very cool. 

https://steigen.com/no-blisters-guarantee/

5k - 17:53 (4/19)   10k - 37:53 (11/18)   Half - 1:23:18 (4/19)   Full - 2:50:43 (4/19)

Resident Historian

Agree with Thorlos for socks. I use the thicker styles but do have some experias.
                              Also agree with "everybody'a" opinion of nuun.  I use gatorade (or other sports drink) alternating with water. In a marathon, water before a gel, sports drink if no gel planned for a few miles.

I also load up with UCan long-chain starch mix before a marathon. Not the greatest taste (even flavored), but it avoids blood sugar spikes as it converts to sugar over a longer period. 

Neil

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                              “Some people will tell you that slow is good – but I'm here to tell you that fast is better. I've always believed this, in spite of the trouble it's caused me. - Hunter S. Thompson

Marky_Mark_17

I also load up with UCan long-chain starch mix before a marathon. Not the greatest taste (even flavored), but it avoids blood sugar spikes as it converts to sugar over a longer period. 

Haven't heard of that.

I use an electrolyte formula before races (Endura Rehydration), and "pre-load" if it's going to be a warm day.  It tastes fine but then has this kind of weird aftertaste that I still haven't gotten used to after 6 years.  However it's done the job so I'm reluctant to change at this point!

3,000m: 9:07.7 (Nov-21) | 5,000m: 15:39 (Dec-19) | 10,000m: 32:34 (Mar-20)  

10km: 33:15 (Sep-19) | HM: 1:09:41 (May-21)* | FM: 2:41:41 (Oct-20)

* Net downhill course

Last race: Maraetai HM, 10 Mar, DNF

Up next: Waterfront HM, 7 Apr

"CONSISTENCY IS KING"