2022 Advanced Racing Thread (Read 497 times)

JMac11

RIP Milkman

Also, me and my wife met the legend Neil aka LongBoat the resident historian and his wife, at an Italian restaurant for lunch yesterday.

They are the nicest people!

When the waiter asked him if he wanted Italian or Portuguese wine he made the right choice👏🇮🇹

Amazing, there have been so many good meet ups this year. LongBoat looks exactly like what I would want our resident historian to look like! I just hope the one with Cal and Mikkey does happen on the course next year. Getting a little worried with how little Cal is running these days, but I'm sure the fire will be back come the new year.

Also it's funny that you picked up this book that DW recommended and went right into reading it! I'm looking forward to it. I feel like my stomach has been an issue since I picked this sport back up in 2014 and it's time I try to solve it.

Merkle - 18 week cycles are way too long for me, I think 12-15 is the sweet spot. How is the ankle?

DW - have heard some pretty rough stories of the latest infections from folks. Did you have a 4th shot down already? I think you said you did, probably explains why it was so mild.

Fishy - I saw a reddit thread about prepping for the Philadelphia marathon with people saying the weather was "not ideal" for a marathon. I almost posted telling them they can go and fuck right off from every single one of us that ran the NYCM. It's going to be low 30s and sunny for most of the race and that's not ideal? I swear, some people complain about weather unless it's exactly 47 degrees with zero wind. Maybe for a 5K I would call that a bit too cold, but for a marathon? Wow. That's solid A weather. I'd take low 30s and sunny over even 57 and sunny.

5K: 16:37 (11/20)  |  10K: 34:49 (10/19)  |  HM: 1:14:57 (5/22)  |  FM: 2:36:31 (12/19) 

mmerkle

JMac This is my second 16 week cycle this year and I'm temped to make the next one 12-14.

It no longer hurts to turn my foot inward, so I think everything is ok. At this point I just want to make it to the start line healthy. Last time I definitely fell victim to "taper madness". Pretty sure it's gonna happen again if I'm not there already. Last time I hardly slept the 5 ish days leading up to it. Not sure if anyone can relate?

Fishyone

Fishy - I saw a reddit thread about prepping for the Philadelphia marathon with people saying the weather was "not ideal" for a marathon. I almost posted telling them they can go and fuck right off from every single one of us that ran the NYCM. It's going to be low 30s and sunny for most of the race and that's not ideal? I swear, some people complain about weather unless it's exactly 47 degrees with zero wind. Maybe for a 5K I would call that a bit too cold, but for a marathon? Wow. That's solid A weather. I'd take low 30s and sunny over even 57 and sunny.

JMac- I'm with you 100%.  This is my ideal weather no complaints here at all.  I'll have to think about hydration a little more because I won't be thinking "I'm hot... so drink" knowing that I'll still be loosing quite a bit of moisture especially given the low humidity.  I've already picked out my throw away clothes and I'm going to start with a cheap pair of gloves that I'll probably drop at mile 7-10.  Upper 30's low 40's is Shorts and long sleeve tech shirt weather for me.

45 miles last week with 2 MLR's (one with 6MP-HMP last one 3 MP). Trying out a longer and sharper taper and so far no taper madness.

Funny I posted the "weather" forecast last month as a joke and it turned out to be better than I even hoped.

Now I've just got to get it done!!  NO EXCUSES

5K 18:36 (2023), 10K 39:40 (2022), 1/2 1:24:37 (2023), full 2:58:36 (2015) 

JMac11

RIP Milkman

JMac- I'm with you 100%.  This is my ideal weather no complaints here at all.  I'll have to think about hydration a little more because I won't be thinking "I'm hot... so drink" knowing that I'll still be loosing quite a bit of moisture especially given the low humidity.

It's a good question. I actually have no idea what my sweat rate is in conditions <50. Probably something we should all know so we know how much to drink in those types of marathons! But my guess is you can get away with very little water, depending on the gels you use. I doubt you need more than a cup every 5K.

5K: 16:37 (11/20)  |  10K: 34:49 (10/19)  |  HM: 1:14:57 (5/22)  |  FM: 2:36:31 (12/19) 

Mikkey

Mmmm Bop

C’mon Longboat, surely you could’ve found a pair of trainers that matched your outfit. 

5k - 17:53 (4/19)   10k - 37:53 (11/18)   Half - 1:23:18 (4/19)   Full - 2:50:43 (4/19)

Resident Historian

Last week, again with about 25 miles. Three runs of reasonable distance (5-7 miles) and two shortened by limited time to get them in while traveling. A little frustrating! Meeting Flavio and his wife really was a highlight on Saturday. My wife Ginnie was a little apprehensive about lunch with 3 runners, but we had a wide range of topics and enjoyed them all!

We're on a river cruise on the Douro River, from Porto to the Spanish border, which I crossed twice on my run today. Tomorrow we have an excursion into Spain to see Salamanca; looking forward to that! I started off the new week with a decent 8 miler today, but I'll have to scramble again to fit some runs in. It should get bettter next week when we get to Valencia (where I used to live) and can set our own schedule. 

Fishy, I hope Philly goes well for you.  That weather does sound pretty much perfect -- I've had some of my best races in those conditions!

Steve, I'm betting Queenstown will be a really good race for you! Let it happen!

Mark: That's been my methodology on trail halfs with major hills -- run what I can, don't dig too deep, speed walk the worst parts. Most of the time I'll get passed by runners on the way up, then pass them back on the downhills. But I'm not in your speed class -- your competitors may run up the hills like they had springs!

Neil

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
              “Some people will tell you that slow is good – but I'm here to tell you that fast is better. I've always believed this, in spite of the trouble it's caused me. - Hunter S. Thompson

mmerkle

Fishyone By sharper taper do you mean featuring more emphasis on speed and/or strength work?

Pain is my friend

Big week last week. Put in some back to back runs. I normally don't do any. Trying something new. Things went great and recovered well. 2 weeks ago was a 15/15. This week was 17/20. The 17 miler was on road and the 20 was on trail. I ate something every half hour on my trail run.

Weekly for period: From: 11/07/2022 To 11/13/2022

Date Name mi km Duration Avg/mi Avg/km Elevation Gain
                  in ft
                  11/07 The head wind from both ways 8.01 12.89 01:08:16 08:31 05:18 358
                  11/08 52 days till…..summer!!!! 8.81 14.17 01:17:17 08:46 05:27 377
                  11/09 A normal 3x4x3 pattern into the wind 10.01 16.11 01:20:22 08:02 04:59 420
                  11/09 Evening tready 2.00 3.22 00:17:20 08:40 05:23 0
                  11/10 Fresh snow in the Dell with Jessi 9.02 14.52 01:24:10 09:20 05:48 794
                  11/10 SL running Co light up run with Nana 4.00 6.44 00:50:36 12:39 07:51 52
                  11/11 Friday special #5 17.01 27.38 02:21:14 08:18 05:09 233
                  11/11 Bell water fall 5.00 8.05 01:38:31 19:42 12:14 1604
                  11/12 Exploring Eagle Mountain 20.01 32.20 03:03:28 09:10 05:42 2290

Total distance: 83.89mi

ATY 24   141.445 2019 1st

Bear 100 22:08 2021 

Jackpot 100 Feb 14:59 - 5th

St George marathon Oct 2:58

ATY 24 130.969 2022 2nd

Pulse endurance 12 hour 76.22 1ST CR

July Backyard ultra 22 yards Win

Sept Bear 100 24:08

darkwave

Mother of Cats

DW - have heard some pretty rough stories of the latest infections from folks. Did you have a 4th shot down already? I think you said you did, probably explains why it was so mild.

Yup, I got the bivalent booster exactly 3 weeks before getting sick - good timing, arguably.  I've honestly had worse head colds; the only weird things were that I had a splitting headache (Tylenol took care of that) and my skin hurt to the touch at times.  My partner had it a little worse despite also having had the bivalent booster.    But he's also high risk, so they gave him anti-virals and he ended up clearing it out quicker than I did.

CH17 - nope, skipping the Cranberry Crawl.  I was entered in the Philly 8K this coming weekend, but decided not to do it.  Rather than race this Saturday, I'll do a turkey trot on Thursday (thinking the SOME 5K or whatever they call it now).

Everyone's gotta running blog; I'm the only one with a POOL-RUNNING blog.

And...if you want a running Instagram where all the pictures are of cats, I've got you covered.

Mikkey

Mmmm Bop

Yup, I got the bivalent booster exactly 3 weeks before getting sick - good timing, arguably.  I've honestly had worse head colds; the only weird things were that I had a splitting headache (Tylenol took care of that) and my skin hurt to the touch at times.  My partner had it a little worse despite also having had the bivalent booster.    But he's also high risk, so they gave him anti-virals and he ended up clearing it out quicker than I did.

🤡🤡🤡

5k - 17:53 (4/19)   10k - 37:53 (11/18)   Half - 1:23:18 (4/19)   Full - 2:50:43 (4/19)

Fishyone

Fishyone By sharper taper do you mean featuring more emphasis on speed and/or strength work?

MMerk- I actually meant a sharper decline in miles.  45 last week felt like a vacation  I did speed,hill,speed,speed in the 4 weeks prior but only MP and T last week.  I think I was in a little rut so change has been my motto over the last 4-5 weeks:

5K 18:36 (2023), 10K 39:40 (2022), 1/2 1:24:37 (2023), full 2:58:36 (2015) 

Running Problem

Problem Child

Krash I actually found out last marathon training cycle I could do back to back long runs. Saturdays were the scheduled long run days and Sundays just became "well it's about 1.5 miles to the group run, and they'll want to do 6-9 so it's going to be a lot." After a while I surprised my body could handle it. I think it helped with ultras as well and instead of running in the hills I could just get bigger miles.

Oh and my wife told me I have to do more 50s before I do a 100 miler. This was AFTER I told her "okay before you say no just hear me out. Also, think of how good it feels to say yes instead of no. okay...how about I do TRT 100 miler."

Many of us aren't sure what the hell point you are trying to make and no matter how we guess, it always seems to be something else. Which usually means a person is doing it on purpose.

VDOT 53.37 

5k18:xx | Marathon 2:55:22

flavio80

Intl. correspondent

DW - I'm glad you found the lever runner otherwise I was picturing you going up and down the stairs 2000 times to get the workouts in 😁

Mmerk - keep it like that and I have a feeling you're gonna do great.
                            I can't relate to barely sleeping 5 days prior, that must've been tough and would certainly impact your race.

Jmac - Uh oh, is there a minimum amount of procrastination required in these situations LOL ?
                            Unlike you I went straight to the Amazon Kindle store.
                            I actually prefer reading on paper, but I don't like waiting weeks for the book nor having to use up space in my home for them.
                            I bought a Boox e-reader and it helps a lot since I'm often reading stuff.

The book is very decent so far, though you probably know it's not gonna be a silver bullet for you, more likely it will inform you enough so that you can start asking the right questions to doctors. Also, I feel like such a 5th grader cause I was laughing so much during the section about flatulence.

PRs: 1500 4:54.1 2019 - 5K 17:53 2023 - 10K 37:55 2023 - HM 1:21:59 2021

Up next: no idea

Tool to generate Strava weekly

ccoakley

Quick pop-in cause I thought of this group when I read this story in the paper....the Male winner of the Richmond marathon (2:24:27  M25-29) registered on a whim Fri afternoon for the Sun race (knowing the weather forecast of high 60s temp and dew point and full sun at the start).   He's training for CIM and runs Keen level mileage (14 daily) so he wasn't unprepared but I definitely think this speaks to this idea of finding a race fast if you think you're peaking before your planned race date.  Maybe always target a late season marathon and then know what the options are every weekend 3-6 weeks out?  He still thinks he can shave 6 min off for CIM.

5k 24:53 (2020) |10k 52:24 (2021) |HM 1:57:14 (2019) |FM 4:24 (2007) |50k 5:57 (2022)

zebano

Now now, be nice to Mark Wink

1600 - 5:23 (2018), 5k - 19:33 (2018), 10k - 41:20 (2021), half - 1:38:57 (2018), Marathon - 3:37:17 (2018)