2022 Advanced Racing Thread (Read 497 times)

zebano

Quick pop-in cause I thought of this group when I read this story in the paper....the Male winner of the Richmond marathon (2:24:27  M25-29) registered on a whim Fri afternoon for the Sun race (knowing the weather forecast of high 60s temp and dew point and full sun at the start).   He's training for CIM and runs Keen level mileage (14 daily) so he wasn't unprepared but I definitely think this speaks to this idea of finding a race fast if you think you're peaking before your planned race date.  Maybe always target a late season marathon and then know what the options are every weekend 3-6 weeks out?  He still thinks he can shave 6 min off for CIM.

That's absurdly impressive mostly because the recovery from a marathon is long enough I wonder if he'll have time to actually gain any fitness.

1600 - 5:23 (2018), 5k - 19:33 (2018), 10k - 41:20 (2021), half - 1:38:57 (2018), Marathon - 3:37:17 (2018)

JMac11

RIP Milkman

That's absurdly impressive mostly because the recovery from a marathon is long enough I wonder if he'll have time to actually gain any fitness.

Edit: he has run sub 2:20 before. I'm still taking the under on 6 minutes. If he breaks 2:20 at CIM I will be absolutely shocked. Almost impossible to recover that quickly and then go run a PR unless he's actually in 2:15 shape.

Flavio - I like to mix up physical and ebooks. I will say though that for more technical books like this, I always go hardcover.

5K: 16:37 (11/20)  |  10K: 34:49 (10/19)  |  HM: 1:14:57 (5/22)  |  FM: 2:36:31 (12/19) 

Marky_Mark_17

Now now, be nice to Mark Wink

I do love a good weather complain but honestly low 30's and sunny sounds like bliss.

3,000m: 9:07.7 (Nov-21) | 5,000m: 15:39 (Dec-19) | 10,000m: 32:34 (Mar-20)  

10km: 33:15 (Sep-19) | HM: 1:09:41 (May-21)* | FM: 2:41:41 (Oct-20)

* Net downhill course

Last race: Maraetai HM, 10 Mar, DNF

Up next: Waterfront HM, 7 Apr

"CONSISTENCY IS KING"

SteveChCh

Hot Weather Complainer

Caitlin - He did this without tapering?  It is very very impressive but I can't help but think he's put CIM at risk in terms of performing at his best.

Keen - Great signs from your half.  Obviously we can take nothing for granted with CIM and your descendants bringing in the bugs, but in theory you should cruise to your sub 2:55.

Longboat - Good to see you back amongst it!  I think if I stick to my planned pace, I'll have a lot of fun in Queenstown.

Mikkey - I suspected you couldn't resist that one before I saw your comment.

JMac - I can see why people complaining about weather off by about 2 degrees would irk you after NYC but it's human nature...and I'm sure I'll do it sometime in the future.

me - The forecast for Queenstown has improved significantly, with the worst of the rain now arriving 24+ hours after the race.  I almost feel disappointed that I won't be wading through mud puddles but it will make the post-race much better for sure - there's beers at the finish line and I don't want to be huddling under whatever shelter I can find, cold and wet.

Also, this is for Mikkey, I think I'm going to get a new coach.  I just feel that someone local who is a full time coach is what I need now - my current coach has been great, fixed my constant niggles and helped me to PR at every distance this year, but his #1 job is physio and after our session last night when I thought he may have had more insight into the last race, I've decided to move forward.  An old school mate of mine who went on to become a semi-pro ironman has a coaching company and looking at the options, I'm confident one of his coaches will be the right fit.

Also, Nathan Jones (the one I went to uni and played cricket against) is doing the 10km in Queenstown.  Hopefully I can catch him for a beer afterwards so he can feature in my race report (unknown if any of the other Nathan Joneses are running).

5km: 18:34 11/23 │ 10km: 39:10 8/23 │ HM: 1:26:48 9/23 │ M: 3:34:49 6/23

2024 Races:

Motorway Half Marathon February 25, 2024 1:29:55

Christchurch Half-Marathon April 21, 2024

Selwyn Marathon June 2, 2024

Dunedin Half Marathon September 15, 2024

JMac11

RIP Milkman

Also, this is for Mikkey, I think I'm going to get a new coach.  I just feel that someone local who is a full time coach is what I need now - my current coach has been great, fixed my constant niggles and helped me to PR at every distance this year, but his #1 job is physio and after our session last night when I thought he may have had more insight into the last race, I've decided to move forward.  An old school mate of mine who went on to become a semi-pro ironman has a coaching company and looking at the options, I'm confident one of his coaches will be the right fit.

🎉 🎉🎉🎉🎉🎉🎉🎉🎉🎉🎉🎉🎉🎉🎉🎉🎉🎉🎉🎉🎉🎉🎉🎉🎉

5K: 16:37 (11/20)  |  10K: 34:49 (10/19)  |  HM: 1:14:57 (5/22)  |  FM: 2:36:31 (12/19) 

flavio80

Intl. correspondent

Caitlin - Yeah, I think that's a better strategy, when you feel like you're peaking you jump into a race 10 days later, assuming weather is good.
              We have so few opportunities to race, especially with the marathon, at least to me it's not worth it to waste it on a warm day as I can't enjoy it since I'm unable to even easy run the marathon distance.

Steve - +1000 points for mentioning Nathan Jones.
              Context for the non initiated: New Zealand has like 500 people, they're all either cousins or friends, and there are 3 guys called Nathan Jones that connect all the Kiwis on this forum.
              Also, good luck with your new coach.
              When I had a local coach they offered quite a good service. You had a place to train with them almost every day of the week.
              On weekends they'd set up a tent near the river where every body ran their long runs.
              They'd also set up a tent when there were local races so you could stay there hanging out until it was time to go.
              They also ran internal races for charity where we donated food that was then delivered to poor communities.
              There was even a program to donate used shoes for poor children.
              They had built a great sense of comradery and there was a fun WhatsApp group for announcements, and overall cheer and joke with everybody else.
              Side note: How the hell can the US live without WhatsApp, they're still stuck in the medieval times with SMS or walled off messenger platforms.

me - Anybody know a good running rain coat? It's been raining every day here and it's cold, I'd like to have a light jacket that blocked water out and kept me dry, with good head cover.

PRs: 1500 4:54.1 2019 - 5K 17:53 2023 - 10K 37:55 2023 - HM 1:21:59 2021

Up next: no idea

Tool to generate Strava weekly

ch17

It's Tuesday every day

Good morning! Congrats to DavePNW who (per the 2022 in 2022 game) just ran his biggest week of the year: 70.48 mi.

Quick pop-in cause I thought of this group when I read this story in the paper....the Male winner of the Richmond marathon (2:24:27  M25-29) registered on a whim Fri afternoon for the Sun race (knowing the weather forecast of high 60s temp and dew point and full sun at the start).   He's training for CIM and runs Keen level mileage (14 daily) so he wasn't unprepared but I definitely think this speaks to this idea of finding a race fast if you think you're peaking before your planned race date.  Maybe always target a late season marathon and then know what the options are every weekend 3-6 weeks out?  He still thinks he can shave 6 min off for CIM.

Unimaginable to me for the same reasons others have said—no taper or recovery—unless 2:24 is an easy jog for him. After a hard-raced marathon, I am pretty useless for a solid month. To me that early peaking is a good opportunity to crush a half. The guy is in a different league  than me anyway, but I’d think the opposite is more common—target an October race and use a later one like Philly or CIM as backup, in case of bad weather or training cycle delayed/interrupted by injury.

Dave

mmerkle

Does anyone know any tricks for appetite suppression during tapering? One issue I seem to have is when I cut back on mileage my appetite stays the same, which is a problem obviously since I don't want my weight to change. I know they say caffeine suppresses appetite but my caffeine consumption is already through the roof.

CommanderKeen

Cobra Commander Keen

Mark - Nice week, and a trail half sounds fun.

Flavio & LongBoat - Hooray for forum encounters!

DWave - Solid week, especially with the recent illness. I think it's a bit interesting that just after my coach started using a leverrunner you start posting runs with one, too. I didn't even know it was a thing before that. Seems much more economical than AlterG.

Merkle - Thanks!
                      Nice week, and awesome that your second tempo felt much better.
                      Try eating more protein, it's more satiating than other macronutrients and it's primarily used as a building block rather than energy.

Krash - Look at you logging big miles with those doubles! How are you liking those?

Steve - Any time you mention a "Nathan Jones" you need to be really, really specific so we can try narrowing down which one it is.
                      Best of luck on the search for a new coach! If you want to entertain someone totally not local I think mine's still taking clients.

Flavio - Something with Gore Shakedry. Perfectly wind and waterproof, insanely light and packable, and breathes better than anything else that's wind/waterproof.

One more big week left, and after my workout today that mostly boils down to the LR.
                      I had a great time at the half this weekend, which was likely the most fun I've ever had in a race. Possible RR incoming.

Weekly for period: From: 11/07/2022 To 11/13/2022

Date Name mi km Duration Avg/mi Avg/km Elevation Gain
                      in ft
                      11/07 3 rabbits & 1 coyote 10.05 16.17 01:24:54 08:27 05:15 351
                      11/07 2 herons 4.00 6.44 00:34:42 08:41 05:23 161
                      11/08 1 more stupid driver 8.20 13.20 01:15:04 09:09 05:41 262
                      11/09 That time I said "nope" 13.02 20.94 01:47:51 08:17 05:09 427
                      11/09 2 oblivious dog walkers and late season heat doping 4.00 6.44 00:36:09 09:02 05:37 269
                      11/10 2 rabbits & 1 crane 8.00 12.88 01:13:54 09:14 05:44 341
                      11/11 This run brought to you by GORE 10.05 16.18 01:26:54 08:39 05:22 571
                      11/11 Sure enough, the wind is still there 4.05 6.52 00:34:39 08:33 05:19 269
                      11/12 1 owl & 1 heron 6.25 10.06 00:52:44 08:26 05:15 279
                      11/13 Let the music begin! 2.11 3.39 00:17:26 08:16 05:09 46
                      11/13 Toyota Music Factory Half 13.21 21.25 01:23:38 06:20 03:56 200
                      11/13 Morning Run 1.05 1.69 00:09:38 09:10 05:42 16

Total distance: 84.00mi

5k: 17:58 11/22 │ 10k: 37:55 9/21 │ HM: 1:23:22 4/22 │ M: 2:56:05 12/22

Upcoming Races:

Running Problem

Problem Child

Does anyone know any tricks for appetite suppression during tapering? One issue I seem to have is when I cut back on mileage my appetite stays the same, which is a problem obviously since I don't want my weight to change. I know they say caffeine suppresses appetite but my caffeine consumption is already through the roof.

Feed the beast. Just make sure you feed it GOOD QUALITY food. A year or two ago I was told here it takes a while for you to mentally change eating from peak weeks to tapering. At the same time, the body is using this to repair as part of taper. Don't worry about the weight number. A pound or for more going into race day doesn't matter. Drink water, and eat quality food.

Many of us aren't sure what the hell point you are trying to make and no matter how we guess, it always seems to be something else. Which usually means a person is doing it on purpose.

VDOT 53.37 

5k18:xx | Marathon 2:55:22

Pain is my friend

The biggest back to back I have done in the past was 10/25. I never felt the need for them. I did well without them and really didn't have the team. I am making time. 3:30 am start is not easy and then work a 10 hour day. Training for a 50 is the same as a 100. Find a race that has a 50 and 100. Then race day tell the wife they put you in the wrong race. Guess you get to run the 100. lol

Keen- I do the back to backs. But don't know if I like them. It is crazy to think I did 55 miles in 3 days last week. I feel like thy are getting easier and I am recovering well from them. I was able to do 9 miles Monday and felt fresh. This week is going to be a bigger back to back. 17/23. Bring on the good times.

Krash I actually found out last marathon training cycle I could do back to back long runs. Saturdays were the scheduled long run days and Sundays just became "well it's about 1.5 miles to the group run, and they'll want to do 6-9 so it's going to be a lot." After a while I surprised my body could handle it. I think it helped with ultras as well and instead of running in the hills I could just get bigger miles.

Oh and my wife told me I have to do more 50s before I do a 100 miler. This was AFTER I told her "okay before you say no just hear me out. Also, think of how good it feels to say yes instead of no. okay...how about I do TRT 100 miler."

ATY 24   141.445 2019 1st

Bear 100 22:08 2021 

Jackpot 100 Feb 14:59 - 5th

St George marathon Oct 2:58

ATY 24 130.969 2022 2nd

Pulse endurance 12 hour 76.22 1ST CR

July Backyard ultra 22 yards Win

Sept Bear 100 24:08

Fishyone

MMerk- Same here.  My appetite still thinks I'm running 80-90 mile weeks.  I've cut out desert which has not been easy or fun.  Especially for my dogs who always get a little treat when I get mine.  They keep looking at me like "What the F dude!"

5K 18:36 (2023), 10K 39:40 (2022), 1/2 1:24:37 (2023), full 2:58:36 (2015) 

SteveChCh

Hot Weather Complainer

Flavio - I communicate with all my American friends via whatsapp, although I'd much prefer Signal in this current climate.

JMac - Can you bring yourself to write a race report?

5km: 18:34 11/23 │ 10km: 39:10 8/23 │ HM: 1:26:48 9/23 │ M: 3:34:49 6/23

2024 Races:

Motorway Half Marathon February 25, 2024 1:29:55

Christchurch Half-Marathon April 21, 2024

Selwyn Marathon June 2, 2024

Dunedin Half Marathon September 15, 2024

Good morning! Congrats to DavePNW who (per the 2022 in 2022 game) just ran his biggest week of the year: 70.48 mi.

Ha, thanks. That's kind of hard for me to believe, but it's been a weird year. Normally I'm in the 70s for 4-5 weeks of a marathon cycle, and typically two of those per year. In 2020 with no races, I just piled up miles for the hell of it; checked my log and I had 15 weeks of 70+ that year (including 2 at 100+). Last year I had 11. But the first half of this year was injury-plagued. Second half I had a good training cycle for Chicago, but somehow never really got out of the 60s. A number of weeks included other races which cut into my total mileage, and I didn't worry about it too much - figured mid-upper 60s would do. Then I ended up running a huge PR at Chicago anyway. So who knows, maybe high mileage isn't all it's cracked up to be.

Dave