2022 Advanced Racing Thread (Read 497 times)

darkwave

Mother of Cats

And this whole convo is just so typical for this group:

Person 1:  Hey everyone - I ran this marathon this year and the weather sucked.  Let's all run it in two years.

Everyone else:  Heck yeah.

Everyone's gotta running blog; I'm the only one with a POOL-RUNNING blog.

And...if you want a running Instagram where all the pictures are of cats, I've got you covered.

I'm actually surprised they didn't make it harder for 2023. Anecdotally, it sounds like time qualifiers are selling out within the first hour of the first day of registration. It used to be you had a week or so before they sold out. I'm going to shoot for that half qualifier in a NYRR race next year so that I'm guaranteed entry. But either way, I'd say be prepared for it to get a couple of minutes harder in 2024

Good to keep in mind! I had thought about registering for 2020, but decided against it. Which was fortunate, because apparently that year the site was like Ticketmaster for a Taylor Swift concert. I think it was the 50th anniversary race, so had higher-than-usual demand. Of course it ended up not happening anyway. If I wait till ‘24, I can probably still manage the Q times moving a couple minutes, but you just never know when you’ll have a shitshow kind of year.

Dave

JMac11

RIP Milkman

Person 1:  Hey everyone - I ran this marathon this year and the weather sucked.  Let's all run it in two years.

The story of Boston for years. About time NYC gets its dues!

5K: 16:37 (11/20)  |  10K: 34:49 (10/19)  |  HM: 1:14:57 (5/22)  |  FM: 2:36:31 (12/19) 

Running Problem

Problem Child

The story of Boston for years. About time NYC gets its dues!

How was the weather for Boston 2020? I believe you words were ‘if the race gets canceled it will be ideal weather conditions.’

Many of us aren't sure what the hell point you are trying to make and no matter how we guess, it always seems to be something else. Which usually means a person is doing it on purpose.

VDOT 53.37 

5k18:xx | Marathon 2:55:22

JMac11

RIP Milkman

It was upper 40s with no wind 

5K: 16:37 (11/20)  |  10K: 34:49 (10/19)  |  HM: 1:14:57 (5/22)  |  FM: 2:36:31 (12/19) 

Running Problem

Problem Child

My ‘less than imaginary’ friends are as weird as me, AND they’re willing to hang out in person. It’s a double win with a marathon mixed in. 

edit: JMac  is NYC REALLY that hard to get into? I was kind of hoping hitting the time qualifier would get me in. Sounds like it needs to be a mad rush to a computer on (registration) opening day. Is it ‘NYC-2’ like Boston as well?

edit #2:  can we all get matching shorts? My wife showed me a thing online where women are buying men the exact same shirt, not telling them, then having all the men show up wearing the same shirt. 

https://www.runningwarehouse.com/BOA_Mens_1_Elite_Split_Short_Neon/descpage-BMESLNE.html?color=NS

I think these would be excellent because ‘Orange makes you faster.’

Many of us aren't sure what the hell point you are trying to make and no matter how we guess, it always seems to be something else. Which usually means a person is doing it on purpose.

VDOT 53.37 

5k18:xx | Marathon 2:55:22

Mikkey

Mmmm Bop

Fishyone - Good luck. 👍

I hate the fact that you can qualify for NYC marathon with a half time. Why???

Qualifying with a half makes it so much easier for slackers and wannabes. 🤦🏻

5k - 17:53 (4/19)   10k - 37:53 (11/18)   Half - 1:23:18 (4/19)   Full - 2:50:43 (4/19)

Mikkey

Mmmm Bop

Tyson weighing in at 7kg this morning…up 1kg from last week.

5k - 17:53 (4/19)   10k - 37:53 (11/18)   Half - 1:23:18 (4/19)   Full - 2:50:43 (4/19)

flavio80

Intl. correspondent

Keen - Excellent recommendation with the Gore-tex Shakedry. I got the jacket directly from Gore themselves via bike24.com. Got one for me another one for my wife. They're very slim fit so we sized up and it worked very well. It's just perfect, it's again raining cats and dogs today but I kept my upper body very dry and warm. It's also surprisingly breathable, even though it said on their marketing blurb I usually only believe when I see it. I also got their cap and it also works great.

Zebano - I had heart burns and hiccups just looking at that picture 🥵
                    On a separate subject, I notice that you are always lightly dressed in your Strava pictures even though you live on the other side of the wall.
                    Could you teach me your white walker ways? I already know of merino wool which is great, but do you have any recommendations of materials for the intermediate layer other than fleece?
                    Last but not least, how's the prognosis on your injury?

Mark - LOL at murder hill, that's an apt name. Kudos on another great week and you were very consistent as always.

Mikkey - Not only that, but also the half time is way easier than their marathon cut off times.

What's with this mass hysteria of running the New York marathon? It absolutely sucks, tons of hills, it's a point to point course so not world record eligible, it's really pointless 😁

me - Look at me running over 40 miles again. It's gonna be a struggle but I hope to eventually reach 50 and then 60 miles per week. And then the pipe dream is some day reaching 80 miles per week for like 3 or 4 months. Then I might consider running these marathon thingies again.

Weekly for period: From: 11/14/2022 To 11/20/2022

Date Name mi km Duration Avg/mi Avg/km Elevation Gain
                    in ft
                    11/15 60'E 7.21 11.60 01:00:00 08:19 05:10 302
                    11/16 70'E 8.33 13.40 01:10:01 08:24 05:14 469
                    11/17 60'E 7.09 11.41 01:00:08 08:29 05:16 472
                    11/19 60'E 7.36 11.84 00:59:53 08:08 05:03 394
                    11/20 90'E 10.97 17.65 01:29:53 08:12 05:06 564

Total distance: 40.96mi

PRs: 1500 4:54.1 2019 - 5K 17:53 2023 - 10K 37:55 2023 - HM 1:21:59 2021

Up next: no idea

Tool to generate Strava weekly

Mikkey

Mmmm Bop

Mikkey - Not only that, but also the half time is way easier than their marathon cut off times.

What's with this mass hysteria of running the New York marathon? It absolutely sucks, tons of hills, it's a point to point course so not world record eligible, it's really pointless 😁

NYC marathon was my favourite destination race even though the course is a bit challenging. I loved the whole experience and couldn’t believe how friendly the city was compared to London. I’m hoping that Boston has the same vibe!

mmerkle

Fishyone Through the half way mark in 1:34:17

JMac11

RIP Milkman

I tried the texting thing for tracking and nothing is coming through

mmerkle

JMac Try email alerts instead, that's what I'm using.

Tyson weighing in at 7kg this morning…up 1kg from last week.

What a handsome little guy! They grow so quickly. An unsolicited pic of our two below (Emma back, Charlie front), just because dogs are great.

No photo description available.

2:52:16 (2018)

Fishyone is probably dealing with very windy conditions. It's windy as hell this morning in CT.

2:52:16 (2018)