2022 Advanced Racing Thread (Read 497 times)

mmerkle

RP That's pretty inspirational actually.

DW My issue before was actually above the medial malleolus. I keep having issues with my calves, ankles, and feet in general. My past several niggles have all been one of those three. Thanks for the input as always.

Dave Over the summer I ran a 17:51 5k. I find 6:00-6:10/mile pace to feel fairly controlled for mile or even 2 mile repeats. I can run 15 second 100s without feeling like I hit top speed. Translating times does vary per individual, but I think me not being under 3 is a bit odd. However, that was my 3d marathon. The first one was in 2012, the second one was in April. Including the marathons, the total number of times in my life I have run 20 miles or more in one go is 7.

JMac I'm honestly a bit puzzled by my pace in the first half. I told myself to take the first 1-3 miles very easy, remembering that some of the people who broke 3 at Salisbury went out around 7 minute pace. Once I got to miles 4-5, I told myself to pick it up more, and the splits just kept coming out around 6:55.

I did feel a tad bit gun-shy, I didn't want to push too hard too early. I knew that I had the speed to handle a decent negative split in the second half. I kept trying to "nudge" the pace down to 6:45 or so. But the nudges weren't doing it. I was expecting 6:45-6:50 pace to feel almost like a jog. I guess I was just confused, to be honest. And still am. Not sure if this helps at all.

I'm still annoyed that the last 3-4 miles went the way they did. I feel like I should be able to hang on to 7:00 pace or faster in the closing miles.

Running Problem

Problem Child

‘Fuck your feelings’ in the way of being depressed about it.  Sun-3 is hard. I’m really proud my history is inspiring. It took a LOT of work and I guess I’m proud of it. I tell it as a ‘not everything is easy’ type of story. 6:45-50 feels easy…until it doesn’t. Just go get healed and make that your #1 focus and priority for now. Also, binge watch some tv shows.  I hear Yellowstone just came out with a fifth season.

Many of us aren't sure what the hell point you are trying to make and no matter how we guess, it always seems to be something else. Which usually means a person is doing it on purpose.

VDOT 53.37 

5k18:xx | Marathon 2:55:22

Dave Over the summer I ran a 17:51 5k. I find 6:00-6:10/mile pace to feel fairly controlled for mile or even 2 mile repeats. I can run 15 second 100s without feeling like I hit top speed. Translating times does vary per individual, but I think me not being under 3 is a bit odd. However, that was my 3d marathon. The first one was in 2012, the second one was in April. Including the marathons, the total number of times in my life I have run 20 miles or more in one go is 7.

Yeah it's a bit odd, but there aren't too many data points. Continuing to build your endurance with more marathon-focused training cycles will make all the difference in the world. You might not quite nail the next one, it may take a few - there's a cumulative effect.

That said, I still come back to the hydration/fueling as a big factor. If that was better managed, the last 3-4 miles might feel very different and you'd have your sub-3.

Dave

ch17

It's Tuesday every day

darkwave: nice week, and nice to see you, too! You didn't look like you were out for a 20-miler.

> Since I'm running paces that are very different from what I'm used to running, I just have no idea where to seed myself anymore.

I feel your pain :-D because mine's related: I don't recognize any of my female competitors any more, so I don't know with whom to run out, and I also don't know how hard I can go for 5k. (And I also don't look at my watch while racing.)

So my times are a bit of a crapshoot right now.

>One of the annoying things about Sinemet is that it has to be taken every 5 hours starting when you wake up, preferably on an empty stomach.

Wow, good luck with that. I'd find the empty-stomach rule challenging.

>If it turns out that this works for me, I'll have to figure out how to schedule it around a marathon

Maybe by then you'd have enough in your system so you could get by with a 10 or 12-hour stretch? Just a thought. Your doc would know, not me.

flavio80

Intl. correspondent

Mmerkle - Thanks again for the race report.
            I know I'm repeating myself here but do consider that race a victory.
            I know it's hard to see it that way JUST NOW, but you didn't have to walk and only had a small fade on the last 3 or 4 miles.
            That's a tremendous victory, also a 3h03 is a great time.
            To top it all, I'm certain you can go faster with a bit of tuning in the future.
            I think the nausea post race was due to extreme exertion, by the way.

Keen - I have blocked TikTok on my browser lest you post a video of yourself twerking ðŸ‘Ŋ‍♀ïļ

So when the race gets really hard after 20 miles just think of how much you love Julia Roberts âĪïļ and that thought will surely get you through.

Also, don't share the bus with RP so his germs don't ruin your race 😈

Ch17 - More like I had to decrease strength training to mobility + stretching for a couple of weeks due to an injury and the proximity of the 10k race.
            I've been preaching about strength training here for a while, to the annoyance of all ðŸĪŠ

Steve - yes it could impact your running.
            I remember when I decided to do the 30 day challenge created by the YouTuber/actress Adriene Mishler from Yoga with Adriene.
            It looked quite simple and the routines were only like 15-20 minutes long.
            I had to stop after about 7 or 8 days cause it was leaving me very sore doing it on top of the running.
            So start gradually, move slowly if you do go that route.

I love that there's a bait emoticon now!

Baltimore - Is it only me who thinks of "The Wire" when I hear about Baltimore?

Darkwave - Once again best of luck on your long journey towards diminishing the symptoms from the dystonia.

PRs: 1500 4:54.1 2019 - 5K 17:53 2023 - 10K 37:55 2023 - HM 1:21:59 2021

Up next: no idea

Tool to generate Strava weekly

Mikkey

Mmmm Bop

Keen - Did you run your 5k at 85% capacity? 

https://ivanmauric.io/the-85-percent-rule/

5k - 17:53 (4/19)   10k - 37:53 (11/18)   Half - 1:23:18 (4/19)   Full - 2:50:43 (4/19)

Baltimore - Is it only me who thinks of "The Wire" when I hear about Baltimore?

I never watched this, but sadly it’s probably what they’re best known for. But also, Hairspray!

Dave

CommanderKeen

Cobra Commander Keen

Mikkey - Of course I've figured out how to run a marathon. Although "knowing" and "doing" can be quite separate things.

Keen's official goals for CIM:

A) Sub 2:54:13 (10 minute PR)
                  B) Sub 2:55
                  C) Sub 3:00
                  D) PR (sub 3:04:13)
                  E) BQ (sub 3:05)
                  F) Course PR (sub 4:07:53)
                  W) Finish in not a personal worst (sub 5:09:16)
                  X) Finish without puking
                  Y) Finish after puking
                  Z) Finish after puking in the parking lot of a more dignified restaurant than Del Taco

5k: 17:58 11/22 â”‚ 10k: 37:55 9/21 â”‚ HM: 1:23:22 4/22 â”‚ M: 2:56:05 12/22

Upcoming Races:

I haven’t been posting my weekly summaries mainly because they’ve been boring. Just all-easy maintenance mileage, only juiced up a little for the stupid miles game. Last 3 weeks: 70, 70, 67. 

The only item of note was pacing the Seattle Marathon this past Saturday. My running group supplies pacers for a number of local races, so I’ve had the opportunity to pace a few times, although all HMs. Even for full marathons, they split pacer duties into first half/second half. Two pacers per time in all cases. I was a late replacement, I didn’t commit earlier because I wasn’t sure if I’d be out of town. I was given 4:05 2nd half. I was a little concerned about being comfortable with it, since that’s about 30 sec slower than my normal easy, but figured I’d be able to manage. I also decided it was slow enough that I might as well just run the whole thing. I stuck with the 1st half pacers and helped them out, then more-officially did the 2nd with my partner. 

Goal time: 4:04:30. Official finish: 4:04:24. So I was pretty happy with that. One thing I learned was that running 26.2, even at a slow pace, is still some serious work. I was definitely feeling the muscle fatigue and stiffness in the later miles, and was pretty sore the rest of the day. But the next day I felt pretty close to fully recovered, and even went for a short run; I’ve never taken less than a few days off after a marathon. Also, it was tons of fun. Pacing is really a blast. I checked out the race pics and I’m smiling in almost every one of them. That’s certainly not the case when racing!

Dave

Half Crazy K 2.0

I never watched this, but sadly it’s probably what they’re best known for. But also, Hairspray!

Good to know that squeegee kids are not known across the country yet. Oh, we're alos known for Homicide and The Corner. And crabcakes.

Fishyone

Nice work Dave!!  I always respected pacers but after Philly I feel I owe a special thanks to all that run that distance to help others.

PS- if anyone knows the 3:10 pacer at Philly please give him my thanks.  I tried to find him a the end but got lost in the shuffle.

I haven’t been posting my weekly summaries mainly because they’ve been boring. Just all-easy maintenance mileage, only juiced up a little for the stupid miles game. Last 3 weeks: 70, 70, 67. 

The only item of note was pacing the Seattle Marathon this past Saturday. My running group supplies pacers for a number of local races, so I’ve had the opportunity to pace a few times, although all HMs. Even for full marathons, they split pacer duties into first half/second half. Two pacers per time in all cases. I was a late replacement, I didn’t commit earlier because I wasn’t sure if I’d be out of town. I was given 4:05 2nd half. I was a little concerned about being comfortable with it, since that’s about 30 sec slower than my normal easy, but figured I’d be able to manage. I also decided it was slow enough that I might as well just run the whole thing. I stuck with the 1st half pacers and helped them out, then more-officially did the 2nd with my partner. 

Goal time: 4:04:30. Official finish: 4:04:24. So I was pretty happy with that. One thing I learned was that running 26.2, even at a slow pace, is still some serious work. I was definitely feeling the muscle fatigue and stiffness in the later miles, and was pretty sore the rest of the day. But the next day I felt pretty close to fully recovered, and even went for a short run; I’ve never taken less than a few days off after a marathon. Also, it was tons of fun. Pacing is really a blast. I checked out the race pics and I’m smiling in almost every one of them. That’s certainly not the case when racing!

5K 18:36 (2023), 10K 39:40 (2022), 1/2 1:24:37 (2023), full 2:58:36 (2015) 

Fishyone

Keen- You've already got me beat for "goals in a race" I've never gone past a "c" goal....let alone a "z" goal. You're gonna kill it out there.

Mikkey - Of course I've figured out how to run a marathon. Although "knowing" and "doing" can be quite separate things.

X) Finish without puking
                          Y) Finish after puking
                          Z) Finish after puking in the parking lot of a more dignified restaurant than Del Taco

5K 18:36 (2023), 10K 39:40 (2022), 1/2 1:24:37 (2023), full 2:58:36 (2015) 

SteveChCh

Hot Weather Complainer

Flavio - I'll be careful to start as an extreme beginner.  I have a follow up with my physio next week (former NZ marathon champion...), and he may suggest a different strengthening path.  Either way, something must be done about my muscle imbalance.

Keen - I'm impressed your Z goal still includes finishing...maybe you need to go round the alphabet again.

Baltimore - My main reference is a Counting Crows song.  There was also a good show I watched a couple of seasons of in the 90s, Homicide: Life on the Street.  Maybe Baltimore needs a positive marketing campaign...when I was at uni in Melbourne we had an exchange programme with Loyola so I met some great people, some of whom I'm still close friends with.  Although I don't think any were originally from Baltimore.

5km: 18:34 11/23 â”‚ 10km: 39:10 8/23 â”‚ HM: 1:26:48 9/23 â”‚ M: 3:34:49 6/23

2024 Races:

Motorway Half Marathon February 25, 2024 1:29:55

Christchurch Marathon April 21, 2024

Dunedin Half Marathon September 15, 2024

Running Problem

Problem Child

I think the 12 O’Clock boys are from Baltimore.  Dirt bikes and wheelies on city streets seems better than ‘side shows’ but I encounter off road vehicles at gas stations probably once’s or twice a week on warm days.

Many of us aren't sure what the hell point you are trying to make and no matter how we guess, it always seems to be something else. Which usually means a person is doing it on purpose.

VDOT 53.37 

Running Problem

Problem Child

X) Finish without puking
                                Y) Finish after puking

I’m putting you down for a 2:54.

VDOT 53.37