2022 Advanced Racing Thread (Read 497 times)

JMac11

RIP Milkman

Good call on the gloves. Forgot to mention those. I bought Showa gloves after hearing about Boston and after struggling with frozen fingers for years during rainy runs, regardless of how many gloves/mittens I wore. They look so goofy, but they're amazing.

There was a recent article on them:

https://www.outsideonline.com/outdoor-gear/clothing-apparel/showa-temres-gloves/

5K: 16:37 (11/20)  |  10K: 34:49 (10/19)  |  HM: 1:14:57 (5/22)  |  FM: 2:36:31 (12/19) 

darkwave

Mother of Cats

Those Showa Gloves look similar to what I use.    I use "Hydroflector" gloves (Kinco Hydroflector Waterproof Gloves, Double-Layered Knit Shell - 1875807 at Tractor Supply Co.)

Like you said, they look odd.  But anyone running in cold heavy rain looks odd anyway.

Everyone's gotta running blog; I'm the only one with a POOL-RUNNING blog.

And...if you want a running Instagram where all the pictures are of cats, I've got you covered.

ch17

It's Tuesday every day

Keen: The shrubbery appears undaunted by your visit. Maybe you should high-five it when you run by. OTOH, four out of the five drive-thru workers have voted that you stay in the road. Anyway, GOOD LUCK!

Keen—love the thoroughness of your goal-setting. For the SpongeBob fans out there, it reminds me of Plankton’s frustration in his inability to steal the Krabby Patty secret formula: “I’ve tried every plan from ‘A’ to ‘Y’—what else is there??”

Dave

SteveChCh

Hot Weather Complainer

Sad day of losing legends of sport and music.

Murray Halberg

Songbird

Agonising over what to wear on race day in the last week...everything is on track I think.

5km: 18:34 11/23 │ 10km: 39:10 8/23 │ HM: 1:26:48 9/23 │ M: 3:34:49 6/23

2024 Races:

Motorway Half Marathon February 25, 2024 1:29:55

Christchurch Half-Marathon April 21, 2024

Selwyn Marathon June 2, 2024

Dunedin Half Marathon September 15, 2024

flavio80

Intl. correspondent

Mikkey - that article has a point. Relaxation is very important on race day.

Keen - What if you set yourself as the unofficial sub 3 hour pacer. That should take a ton of pressure off of your shoulders 😁
              Re: dizziness, if you're not feeling nausea at the same time, check your neck and upper back if they're like super tense.
              The sternocleidomastoid muscle can cause a slight disorientation, I've felt that myself last year.
              Also, what if you replace those gooey Gu gels with beef jerky? It could be a problem if there are dogs off the leash on the course though.

Dave - It blows my mind that you can easy run a marathon and run the next day as if it was nothing. Truly super powers!

Jmac - I'm also wearing that jacket on non rainy days as it's wind proof which comes in very handy these days.

me - I've tried acupuncture yesterday. Since I have phobia of needles, it was not something I really wanted to do, but had to try.

I left the clinic feeling brand new and free of any tension, the needles are very small ant not a problem. However, the tension returned about 2 hours later. I now wonder if it was sort of a placebo effect cause it was a calm, warm place with soothing music.

PRs: 1500 4:54.1 2019 - 5K 17:53 2023 - 10K 37:55 2023 - HM 1:21:59 2021

Up next: no idea

Tool to generate Strava weekly

JMac11

RIP Milkman

me - I've tried acupuncture yesterday. Since I have phobia of needles, it was not something I really wanted to do, but had to try.

I left the clinic feeling brand new and free of any tension, the needles are very small ant not a problem. However, the tension returned about 2 hours later. I now wonder if it was sort of a placebo effect cause it was a calm, warm place with soothing music.

I've never done acupuncture, but I have done dry needling and it works wonders for me. With any serious injury I go to my osteo for it. It does take a few sessions though.

Regarding the jacket I never wear jackets on just windy days. Maybe if it was like upper 30s and super windy? Idk, I usually just wear more layers (or weirdly, I wear arm warmers under my shirt as my forearms usually get the coldest out of anything)

5K: 16:37 (11/20)  |  10K: 34:49 (10/19)  |  HM: 1:14:57 (5/22)  |  FM: 2:36:31 (12/19) 

flavio80

Intl. correspondent

I've never done acupuncture, but I have done dry needling and it works wonders for me. With any serious injury I go to my osteo for it. It does take a few sessions though.

Regarding the jacket I never wear jackets on just windy days. Maybe if it was like upper 30s and super windy? Idk, I usually just wear more layers (or weirdly, I wear arm warmers under my shirt as my forearms usually get the coldest out of anything)

I've just searched youtube for dry needling, and saw a guy pinching somebody's shoulder with a needle. Nope! not for me, unless it's the last thing that will save my life.

I'm only wearing the jacket in colder days, cause the wind around here is about 5 degrees colder than normal temperature.

Unlike you I feel cold in the chest, throat and maybe top of my head, my other extremities are always fine, in fact I'm known for having cold hands and feet, it must be cause I'm not shedding heat heh.

PRs: 1500 4:54.1 2019 - 5K 17:53 2023 - 10K 37:55 2023 - HM 1:21:59 2021

Up next: no idea

Tool to generate Strava weekly

Running Problem

Problem Child

CommanderKeen’s race can be tracked using the RTRT.me app!!!

This is the same one we all used for Melbourne tracking.  Also Air Force marathon, but no one here ran it.

Many of us aren't sure what the hell point you are trying to make and no matter how we guess, it always seems to be something else. Which usually means a person is doing it on purpose.

VDOT 53.37 

5k18:xx | Marathon 2:55:22

zebano

Seconding this. I love dry needling. It's uncomfortable but provides relief from my hamstring niggles for 2-4 weeks at a time.

1600 - 5:23 (2018), 5k - 19:33 (2018), 10k - 41:20 (2021), half - 1:38:57 (2018), Marathon - 3:37:17 (2018)

zebano

This is the same one we all used for Melbourne tracking.  Also Air Force marathon, but no one here ran it.

does it tell us which fast food joint he's chosen to vomit in?

1600 - 5:23 (2018), 5k - 19:33 (2018), 10k - 41:20 (2021), half - 1:38:57 (2018), Marathon - 3:37:17 (2018)

need2tri

Flavio checkout the following link. The main difference is what body system they target. They when use the same/similar needles.

https://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/321989

I've just searched youtube for dry needling, and saw a guy pinching somebody's shoulder with a needle. Nope! not for me, unless it's the last thing that will save my life.

CommanderKeen

Cobra Commander Keen

RP - Thanks for posting about the tracking. For anyone who doesn't already know my name via Strava I can post my bib number once I get it at the expo.

Zebano - Where to vomit is always a race day decision.

YES! After ~32 hours of feeling kinda dizzy & lightheaded that is GONE! That's a huge relief, plus my legs started feeling not like bricks this morning so things are looking up.

5k: 17:58 11/22 │ 10k: 37:55 9/21 │ HM: 1:23:22 4/22 │ M: 2:56:05 12/22

Upcoming Races:

Pain is my friend

Awesome. Can't wait to track you while listening to the Western stats 100 loto.

ATY 24   141.445 2019 1st

Bear 100 22:08 2021 

Jackpot 100 Feb 14:59 - 5th

St George marathon Oct 2:58

ATY 24 130.969 2022 2nd

Pulse endurance 12 hour 76.22 1ST CR

July Backyard ultra 22 yards Win

Sept Bear 100 24:08

Running Problem

Problem Child

Awesome. Can't wait to track you while listening to the Western stats 100 loto.

Dude, if you get in and want to hang out for a bit overnight let me know.  After Boston I don’t have anything really on my calendar and I’ve ‘paced’ there three times the whole way.

Many of us aren't sure what the hell point you are trying to make and no matter how we guess, it always seems to be something else. Which usually means a person is doing it on purpose.

VDOT 53.37 

5k18:xx | Marathon 2:55:22