2022 Advanced Racing Thread (Read 497 times)

Running Problem

Problem Child

does it tell us which fast food joint he's chosen to vomit in?

I’m hoping he picks the lawn at the Capitol building.  

keen you should get a photo in front of the massive Christmas tree at the finish line area.

Many of us aren't sure what the hell point you are trying to make and no matter how we guess, it always seems to be something else. Which usually means a person is doing it on purpose.

VDOT 53.37 

5k18:xx | Marathon 2:55:22

CommanderKeen

Cobra Commander Keen

Blast! DD2 started throwing up last night. Between doing some last minute preparations out and about and then taking DD1 to soccer practice I didn't see her much yesterday, so hopefully that will have prevented any contamination.

5k: 17:58 11/22 │ 10k: 37:55 9/21 │ HM: 1:23:22 4/22 │ M: 2:56:05 12/22

Upcoming Races:

flavio80

Intl. correspondent

Need2tri - Thanks for that link, I can see now that it's not all practitioners who keep repeatedly puncturing the muscle with a needle.
        If it's more in the way of acupuncture it's definitely more tolerable.

Keen - At this point, I think instead of avoiding puking on race day, you should train for that. Like eat a chicken tikka masala and then go run 23 miles.

More seriously though, I'm predicting you will run 2h57. I'm certain you will have your açaí bowl this time to ensure a glorious race. Remember last few times you didn't and you paid for it.

PRs: 1500 4:54.1 2019 - 5K 17:53 2023 - 10K 37:55 2023 - HM 1:21:59 2021

Up next: no idea

Tool to generate Strava weekly

zebano

Good luck Keen! You've had amazing training for this

1600 - 5:23 (2018), 5k - 19:33 (2018), 10k - 41:20 (2021), half - 1:38:57 (2018), Marathon - 3:37:17 (2018)

JMac11

RIP Milkman

Keen - cannot wish anyone more luck than you, you know I'm a huge fan of you Your training has been so good for SO long, you deserve a good race!

I read something you put on the Waltons thread about feeling perhaps more excited for this race than previous ones, and you said something that hit home for me: it's a bit different when you haven't PR'd in the distance in a while. Try to put that thought somewhere in your mind so that when things start getting really hard at mile 20, you can access it. It can be really hard after a few failed marathons in a row not to think "oh no, here we go again" and just shut it down. You need to have the same fire you had for the PRs, but it's going to require you to consciously think about it imo.

Find a good group to run with, which is easy with CIM. I'd say find the sub 3:00 runners and go with them to start, mainly because they're going to actually run 6:40 to start out of excitement. As they start to fade back, you can just keep it up and find other folks around you.

Best of luck! I'll have you up on my tracker on Sunday morning.

5K: 16:37 (11/20)  |  10K: 34:49 (10/19)  |  HM: 1:14:57 (5/22)  |  FM: 2:36:31 (12/19) 

Running Problem

Problem Child

Keen as Jack said, group up with sub-3 runners. You’ve seen how fast the pacer goes out (same guy this year) for the start. I think he might stick even closer to even splits (like actually hit even) this year since it’s his third. I already told you my steps for this race. Most of the course brings back memories since I’ve run it multiple times. Like the year I ran through the business area, caught a pace groin (3:25?) and some guy had a squeaky shoe. It bugged me for the minutes I was there. No WAY I’d tolerate it for 3.5 hours.

edit:

flavio:  hilarious!

Many of us aren't sure what the hell point you are trying to make and no matter how we guess, it always seems to be something else. Which usually means a person is doing it on purpose.

VDOT 53.37 

Running Problem

Problem Child

https://weather.com/weather/radar/interactive/l/282802374da93015844eee7b1ab2372b65769ed20ea0b6e7a3af48dee934029f45287aaedfa784a131a150d0c892b72b

"CIM ALwayS HaS thE bESt WeATheR!"

49-52F (9.4-11C

50% chance of rain, and it isn't looking like it's light (50% chance of rain)

SSE wind around 7mph (cross wind) which might NOT be a problem. Could get up to 12 mph (11-19 km/h cross coming from Antarctica)

*checks Strava post*

"Continue checking the weather for race day the return trip showed it was going to rain (80% chance) and be windy (8mph SSE headwind for practically the entire course) but I’ve dealt with that before"

So based on my experience it's totally PR weather. Even Sub-3 weather.

I had dinner at Zocalo (fancy Chipotle) and wore orange...since no one here axed. The orange was due to an old forum member who told me "orange makes you faster" because he was a Tennessee Volunteers fan and it's their school colors. Chipotle....Darkwave. 100%.

VDOT 53.37 

Resident Historian

Keen: Crossing all fingers that you escape all the bugs this time! Run well!

JMac's suggestion to start with the sub-3 group then edging ahead if things are going well is a smart plan. It may be a big group, though; stay on the front side if there's a chance of getting trapped behind.

RP: I'm in Valencia, Spain, with the marathon to watch tomorrow. Weather here matches CIM - 48 at the 8:15AM start, 53 by 11AM. Wind <5mph. 

I'm in Valencia because I used to live here (ran my 1st marathon here) and came back for a visit. This race was orginally my marathon target for 2022. Despite best efforts, I struggled to train well -- just couldn't handle long runs, so I turned my entry in long ago. Now I'm here, I'm really wishing I could have run. But besides the lack of training, my wife and I have both had COVID for the last two weeks. We're over it now, negative tests for 4 days, but I certainly wouldn't have been 100%. After 11 days off, I've got 3 runs in so far this week, including 5 miles yesterday. It's coming back!

So I'll watch, and try to jump around the course to see the leaders in 4-5 places along the way. That will probably get me 5 miles for the day!
                  The Men's elite field has 3 Ethiopians with 2:03. xx PR's, and a total of 13 under 2:07. Zane Robertson (NZ) has the best non-African PR at 2:08 -- I'll givre him a cheer for the Kiwis. On the Women's side, despite 3 Ethiopians with sub-2:20's, Letesenbet Gidey appears to be the favorite, in her debut marathon. But I guess since she holds world records in most everything from 5000 to half.... 

Neil

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                  “Some people will tell you that slow is good – but I'm here to tell you that fast is better. I've always believed this, in spite of the trouble it's caused me. - Hunter S. Thompson

mmerkle

Best of luck tomorrow Keen!

ch17

It's Tuesday every day

Sneaking in my report while we await tomorrow's excitement.

27 Nov - 3 Dec 2022: 65.4 mi @ 9:42 min/mi with a 18.1 mi LR @ 9:42 min/mi pace. 25*130 lb leg presses M & W, 10*130 lb on F (planned 25 but heinous traffic jam ate my gym time).

Have also started doing glute hyperextensions similar to that shown here, but I keep it glute-centric - no lower back - by setting up the machine so my lower body's very parallel to the floor, my head/torso start from a completely flopped-over position, and I just raise up to the horizontal, no further. Right now I can do 15 on a good day.

Happy running, everybody!

On the Women's side, despite 3 Ethiopians with sub-2:20's, Letesenbet Gidey appears to be the favorite, in her debut marathon. But I guess since she holds world records in most everything from 5000 to half.... 

Longboat with the understatement of the century. 

Enjoy watching the race and look out for Cinnamon in case she's actually running it.

Keen: Good luck tomorrow!

2:52:16 (2018)

ch17

It's Tuesday every day

Longboat: a lot to unpack in your report. I'm sorry you can't run the marathon, and I think it's pretty cool that you will go watch it. I think it could be a very exciting race! Also, glad you're recovering from COVID. Have a great Sunday tomorrow.

darkwave

Mother of Cats

Longboat - sorry for the bad luck.  Enjoy spectating - it sounds like a great race for that.

CK - good luck tomorrow!  Ditto for Cinnamon if she is still reading and is racing tomorrow!

Everyone's gotta running blog; I'm the only one with a POOL-RUNNING blog.

And...if you want a running Instagram where all the pictures are of cats, I've got you covered.

Resident Historian

Longboat with the understatement of the century. 

Enjoy watching the race and look out for Cinnamon in case she's actually running it.

She's not running. About 5 weeks out, she got swamped at work and by personal stuff, totally fatigued.

Neil

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                              “Some people will tell you that slow is good – but I'm here to tell you that fast is better. I've always believed this, in spite of the trouble it's caused me. - Hunter S. Thompson

JMac11

RIP Milkman

She's not running. About 5 weeks out, she got swamped at work and by personal stuff, totally fatigued.

It's too bad. I've been here since 2017 and I have never seen her stick around through her race, but I know she's awesome. Wish I got to know her.

5K: 16:37 (11/20)  |  10K: 34:49 (10/19)  |  HM: 1:14:57 (5/22)  |  FM: 2:36:31 (12/19)