2022 Advanced Racing Thread (Read 497 times)

SteveChCh

Hot Weather Complainer

keen's race has me so jacked up that I already signed up for 2023 CIM.

With Keen we just had to suffer as supporters from 30-42km...with you it's going to be that period from 3-6 weeks out from the race when you start flying close to the sun.  Probably too early to ask but I will anyway...any plans to adjust that strategy?

I guess for me, it's the whole second half of a marathon where cramp and demons lurk.  Christchurch still doesn't have live tracking which is pretty slack for a "big" city marathon, by NZ standards, so that will save me any embarrassment.  I can see the difference already in having a full time coach (rather than a physio who also does coaching plans).  He's firmly encouraged me to get a chest based HRM because the training will lean heavily on accurate HR data.  He's also set up my training zones for Vo2 Max, LT, T, E, R (and dead zone) in Training Peaks.  Interesting to see how large the ranges are, which makes sense as the paces will change as fitness builds and summer ends.  My easy range is 5:00/km - 5:50/km.  I think it probably should be 5:10/km at the top end, not that I'll be going faster than that now anyway.

5km: 18:34 11/23 │ 10km: 39:10 8/23 │ HM: 1:26:48 9/23 │ M: 3:34:49 6/23

2024 Races:

Motorway Half Marathon February 25, 2024 1:29:55

Christchurch Half-Marathon April 21, 2024

Selwyn Marathon June 2, 2024

Dunedin Half Marathon September 15, 2024

JMac11

RIP Milkman

That's great Steve on your coach. Seems like a good plan to me. Easy pace definitely has a huge range. I feel like something like T or M pace has a big range far from the race (or in hotter seasons), but narrows in close to the race. You already know I'm a fan of endless letters in training 

I tell myself I won't fly too close to the sun, but I probably will. I'm going to do a year-end recap soon (I wanted to wait until after Keen writes his race report and we are all wrapped up), but I'll detail what my plans are next year. There's no question though, there is only 1 goal for CIM: that damn Moose Mug that eluded me at Grandma's this spring. There are no B, C, or no throw-up goals.

5K: 16:37 (11/20)  |  10K: 34:49 (10/19)  |  HM: 1:14:57 (5/22)  |  FM: 2:36:31 (12/19) 

SteveChCh

Hot Weather Complainer

Makes sense to go all in, assuming you get to the race unscathed.  End of year reports means we also need to decide on our new leader.  For me, there's only one option.  Keen showed everyone how it's done so it makes sense that he leads us into 2023.

5km: 18:34 11/23 │ 10km: 39:10 8/23 │ HM: 1:26:48 9/23 │ M: 3:34:49 6/23

2024 Races:

Motorway Half Marathon February 25, 2024 1:29:55

Christchurch Half-Marathon April 21, 2024

Selwyn Marathon June 2, 2024

Dunedin Half Marathon September 15, 2024

Marky_Mark_17

December's barely started! Far too early for year-end reports yet, IMO.  You wouldn't write a race report for a marathon with 2 miles still to go...

3,000m: 9:07.7 (Nov-21) | 5,000m: 15:39 (Dec-19) | 10,000m: 32:34 (Mar-20)  

10km: 33:15 (Sep-19) | HM: 1:09:41 (May-21)* | FM: 2:41:41 (Oct-20)

* Net downhill course

Last race: Maraetai HM, 10 Mar, DNF

Up next: Waterfront HM, 7 Apr

"CONSISTENCY IS KING"

JMac11

RIP Milkman

December's barely started! Far too early for year-end reports yet, IMO.  You wouldn't write a race report for a marathon with 2 miles still to go...

I was going to wait for Keen just because it's the last big race on the calendar. If anyone has another key race they want to add, happy to add to the front page and wait for that to end.

At least for us in the US, there's not much between now and year-end due to the holiday schedule. This is a common time of year for folks to lower their mileage and get back at it after 1/1.

5K: 16:37 (11/20)  |  10K: 34:49 (10/19)  |  HM: 1:14:57 (5/22)  |  FM: 2:36:31 (12/19) 

Marky_Mark_17

I was going to wait for Keen just because it's the last big race on the calendar. If anyone has another key race they want to add, happy to add to the front page and wait for that to end.

At least for us in the US, there's not much between now and year-end due to the holiday schedule. This is a common time of year for folks to lower their mileage and get back at it after 1/1.

I've got a moderately insane trail race (the West Coaster) on the weekend (10 Dec) which I've been targeting for a while. Well, assuming I don't catch Covid between now and then which is working its way around my team at work.

It's roughly a HM with c. 750m / 2500 ft elevation gain (most of which is concentrated in two climbs), sand dunes and a stream crossing, my goal is "don't die".

3,000m: 9:07.7 (Nov-21) | 5,000m: 15:39 (Dec-19) | 10,000m: 32:34 (Mar-20)  

10km: 33:15 (Sep-19) | HM: 1:09:41 (May-21)* | FM: 2:41:41 (Oct-20)

* Net downhill course

Last race: Maraetai HM, 10 Mar, DNF

Up next: Waterfront HM, 7 Apr

"CONSISTENCY IS KING"

You wouldn't write a race report for a marathon with 2 miles still to go...

If only!

Dave

Fishyone

Ran a 5K Sunday.  Part of a plan to focus on speed and shorter distance races prior to next marathon build.  Made the mistake of not lining up near the front and had to weave then catch up with the quicker group.  19:33 chip time 19:37 on my watch (may have started it too early and stopped a little after) Quite frustrating and took too much effort to catch the group.  Splits 6:24, 6:16, 6:17 last .1 5:39.

I can either run a 5K or 10K Sunday.  I'm tempted to do the 5K to get some redemption but I enjoy 10Ks and it is kind of like a T run. Thoughts while we wait for the Comander's race report?

5K 18:36 (2023), 10K 39:40 (2022), 1/2 1:24:37 (2023), full 2:58:36 (2015) 

darkwave

Mother of Cats

Fishy - I don't see a reason to pick one over the other, but I have to admit that I don't see 10Ks as tempo runs - to me they're a lot harder than that.

My belated week:

52 miles running, 5.5 hours pool-running, and 1000 ~yards swimming.

M: 90 minutes pool-running
                    T: Upper body weights/core and 11 miles very easy (9:41) plus drills/strides
                    W: 12 miles, including a track workout of 4800m, 3200m, 1600m in 22:11, 14:26, 7:00 (5:00 jog between each). Followed with leg strengthwork and 500 yards recovery swiming.
                    Th: 2 hours pool-running and streaming yoga
                    F: Upper body weights/core and 12 miles very easy (9:41) plus drills/strides
                    Sa: 17 miles, with 2x5 miles in 37:38 (7:32 pace) and 38:39 (7:44 pace), followed with injury prevention work and 500 meters recovery swimming.
                    Su: 2 hours pool-running and streaming yoga.

The new medication I'm taking really helps.  I upped the dose on Friday, and I couldn't believe how great my running gait felt at times during the first part of Saturday's run.  It definitely seems to wear off though, so I need to figure out how to schedule taking it around racing (and food).  But still, things are moving in the right direction in terms of fixing my running.

Everyone's gotta running blog; I'm the only one with a POOL-RUNNING blog.

And...if you want a running Instagram where all the pictures are of cats, I've got you covered.

JMac11

RIP Milkman

Darkwave- that's great to hear on the medication!

Fishy - sometimes when running times like 19:30, you think "wow I'm 2-3 minutes behind the winner, probably should line up further back." But one thing I've learned to do is look at results from previous years and see where I think I'm going to finish. Sometimes you realize that's about 20th, and at a race, that may be the 4th row of people, i.e. pretty close to the front.

Regarding 5K/10K, agree with DW: a 10K is most definitely worse than a T run. But also agreed it doesn't really matter. The only reason I'd pick a 5K over a 10K is if I had another race the following weekend. It's hard to run back to back race weekends with 10Ks without sacrificing your overall fitness given it takes 3-4 days to recover from each one, whereas a 5K has basically no impact on your overall training.

The new medication I'm taking really helps.  I upped the dose on Friday, and I couldn't believe how great my running gait felt at times during the first part of Saturday's run.  It definitely seems to wear off though, so I need to figure out how to schedule taking it around racing (and food).  But still, things are moving in the right direction in terms of fixing my running.

So glad to hear, really great news.

Dave

flavio80

Intl. correspondent

Mikkey - No idea, but this would be a trip for the race. Come to think about it, it might be better to go later in the year, I suppose the weather will be slightly better in April. Good tip on the park runs.
                          I can see the running scene in London and nearby is excellent.
                          That said, I'll see if I can find something in nearby Spain if possible.

DW - Excellent news, bummer that it wears off so quickly, but hopefully eventually you can figure the whole thing out.

PRs: 1500 4:54.1 2019 - 5K 17:53 2023 - 10K 37:55 2023 - HM 1:21:59 2021

Up next: no idea

Tool to generate Strava weekly

Fishyone

DW- That is really good news, hopefully progress continues.  Your consistency is impressive. Given your feedback I'm probably running my 10Ks to conservatively! Shorter races are not in my wheelhouse yet....

Jmac- Great idea I assumed I'd be near the front but should have gone up to the frontline.  It was a really small holiday themed run so my time put me at 7th overall. It felt like I was behind the entire elementary school for the first quarter mile.  What kind of warmup do you suggest for a 10K?  I stretch but don't warm up for marathons or halfs at all.

Darkwave- that's great to hear on the medication!

Fishy - sometimes when running times like 19:30, you think "wow I'm 2-3 minutes behind the winner, probably should line up further back." But one thing I've learned to do is look at results from previous years and see where I think I'm going to finish. Sometimes you realize that's about 20th, and at a race, that may be the 4th row of people, i.e. pretty close to the front.

Regarding 5K/10K, agree with DW: a 10K is most definitely worse than a T run. But also agreed it doesn't really matter. The only reason I'd pick a 5K over a 10K is if I had another race the following weekend. It's hard to run back to back race weekends with 10Ks without sacrificing your overall fitness given it takes 3-4 days to recover from each one, whereas a 5K has basically no impact on your overall training.

5K 18:36 (2023), 10K 39:40 (2022), 1/2 1:24:37 (2023), full 2:58:36 (2015) 

JMac11

RIP Milkman

What kind of warmup do you suggest for a 10K?  I stretch but don't warm up for marathons or halfs at all.

These factors all influence my length of warmup:

1) The more mileage I'm running per week (i.e. I'm in a cycle), the longer my warmup

2) The shorter the race, the longer my warmup

3) The colder it is outside, the longer my warmup

4) The older get, the more of a warmup I seem to need 

The third one is more just because if it's really hot out, you don't want to get to the starting line already overheating. I don't necessarily feel like I somehow need more time to "warm up" my muscles just because the weather is actually cold.

For 5Ks and 10ks in the winter, no question I would warmup at least 2 miles. It's interesting you don't warmup at all for half marathons. I feel like it's so close to T pace that I can't just jump right into that. At the bare minimum for a hot half marathon, I need 0.5 miles to warmup, but I've done as much as 2 miles.

flavio80

Intl. correspondent

Interesting, is it more of a "I need to run for some time to get the wheels moving" kind of thing, or is it more of a "I like to warm up to avoid injuries" kind of thing. I admittedly do very little warm up before my races, though I have no issues getting from 0 to 400 speed in no time.

I wonder though if the longer warm up helps with performance. And I will admit, I'm always a bit afraid that warming up too much will get my core/legs too tired to perform at the level I need. I suppose 2 miles wouldn't hurt though...

These factors all influence my length of warmup:

1) The more mileage I'm running per week (i.e. I'm in a cycle), the longer my warmup

2) The shorter the race, the longer my warmup

3) The colder it is outside, the longer my warmup

4) The older get, the more of a warmup I seem to need 

Fishy - 10ks are super hard, in my last 10k which was on a relatively cold day (about 12c maybe 55F) I had my heart rate over 160 for the last 8km, that is over 90% of heart rate max and approaching 95% by the last mile. Also, I tend to lose my core at around 6 or 7km and have to sort of wave with my arms from that point on, though I will many times still somehow be able to sprint at the end even if my face is turning blue due to the lack of oxygen.

PRs: 1500 4:54.1 2019 - 5K 17:53 2023 - 10K 37:55 2023 - HM 1:21:59 2021

Up next: no idea

Tool to generate Strava weekly