2022 Advanced Racing Thread (Read 497 times)

ch17

It's Tuesday every day

SteveChCh: thanks! I have decided to Do Something about the knee pain. The first thing is to get a grid piece of paper and to put an "x" in for every run where neither knee acts up. My goal is to make a long streak of these days somehow.

Flavio: I just do all 25 in a row, very carefully. Since it's on a machine, once in a while I will catch my breath for a few seconds to be sure I'm not losing my form. See "creaky knees" above.

Fishyone

Thank to all for your input.  I chose the 10K and did a 2 mile warm-up with strides.  Sorry Mikkey no "pogo-sticking" for me this time.  "Warm-up" is a relative term as the weather was in the 20's and windy!  I had a consistent race and set a new 10K PR of 39:40.  I think I'll look for one more short race before buckling down for Boston training.  It snowed on the way home and I began imagining the icy, dark morning runs LOL

5K 18:36 (2023), 10K 39:40 (2022), 1/2 1:24:37 (2023), full 2:58:36 (2015) 

Fishy - nice work!

Dave

darkwave

Mother of Cats

CK - I loved the race reports - both the short version and the long version.  And yeah, that final 1.5 miles at CIM is miserable.  You really can't count down the cross streets because you enter downtown at 57th street and the final turn is not until 10th street....

Mark - I'm sorry about the bug.  Independent of what bug it is, missing a race for a bug sucks.

Steve - what is an "even easy pace"?

CH - some good variety in there.

Flavio - interesting fartlek earlier in the week.

As for me:

49 miles running, 90 minutes pool-running, and 1000 yards swimming.
          M: Upper body weights/core and 8 miles very easy with backpack (10:02)
          T: 10 miles, including a track workout of 1600, 4x800, 2x400 in 7:17, 3:26, 3:27, 3:19, 3:20, 1:39, 1:40 (5:30 recovery after the 1600; 3:00 recovery after everything else). Followed with leg strengthwork and 500 yards recovery swimming.
          W: Streaming yoga and 6 miles very easy (9:45) plus drills and strides. Sports massage at night.
          Th: 90 minutes pool-running
          F: 7 miles, including 1600m up-tempo (6:55)
          Sa: 4 miles very easy (9:58)
          Su: 3.5 mile warm-up, 15K race in 66:14, and 1 mile cooldown, followed by leg injury prevention work and 500 yards recovery swimming.

Tapered for and ran the local 15K - fast course in perfect weather.  Race report is here.

This is also my second week on Carbidopa/Levodopa - aka Sinemet.  It's helping, but not quite where I'd like to be.  To explain more, you can put my running symptoms into three buckets:

1) difficulty extending my stride

2) difficulty maintaining my running gait when I'm dealing with crowds, loud noises, poor visibility etc.
          3) difficulty navigating things like uneven pavement, cracks in the road or curbs, etc.

The previous medication I was on (Artane) helped somewhat with all three.  This new medication helps a lot more with bucket 1 but doesn't do much for buckets 2-3.  I mentioned this to the neuro and he said to be patient.  According to him it can take several weeks for Sinemet to fully work.  So I'll have to give it some more time.

Everyone's gotta running blog; I'm the only one with a POOL-RUNNING blog.

And...if you want a running Instagram where all the pictures are of cats, I've got you covered.

SteveChCh

Hot Weather Complainer

Fishy - Very nice.  Time to update that signature.

Mark - I've only ever had to finish in Christchurch on that long straight once, in 2021 when I was using it as a marathon workout.  But I've definitely started thinking about how long it will feel this time round.  I think it's about 1.5km on a nice wide road, and perfectly straight so no thinking required.  I can't believe it I forgot to mention in my weekly, but there's been Nathan Jones sightings on many Hagley runs recently, and even during my lunch walk in the sun today.

darkwave - Christchurch is perfectly flat so it's possible to run easy effort with perfectly even splits on a cool day with no wind.  My problem became that I'd have that easy pace in my head and look to maintain it regardless, which meant I was probably spending way too much time in the dead zone.

Nice race, especially good effort to work through those early miles until it started feeling good.  I'm glad you didn't face plant.  I can't imagine having to work through issues like this.

5km: 18:34 11/23 │ 10km: 39:10 8/23 │ HM: 1:26:48 9/23 │ M: 3:34:49 6/23

2024 Races:

Motorway Half Marathon February 25, 2024 1:29:55

Christchurch Half-Marathon April 21, 2024

Selwyn Marathon June 2, 2024

Dunedin Half Marathon September 15, 2024

Fishyone

DW- Nice race and way to manage a challenging medication regiment.  You seem to have found the sweet spot that was doable for that race. hopefully the meds continue to improve things.

CK - I loved the race reports - both the short version and the long version.  And yeah, that final 1.5 miles at CIM is miserable.  You really can't count down the cross streets because you enter downtown at 57th street and the final turn is not until 10th street....

Mark - I'm sorry about the bug.  Independent of what bug it is, missing a race for a bug sucks.

Steve - what is an "even easy pace"?

CH - some good variety in there.

Flavio - interesting fartlek earlier in the week.

As for me:

49 miles running, 90 minutes pool-running, and 1000 yards swimming.
              M: Upper body weights/core and 8 miles very easy with backpack (10:02)
              T: 10 miles, including a track workout of 1600, 4x800, 2x400 in 7:17, 3:26, 3:27, 3:19, 3:20, 1:39, 1:40 (5:30 recovery after the 1600; 3:00 recovery after everything else). Followed with leg strengthwork and 500 yards recovery swimming.
              W: Streaming yoga and 6 miles very easy (9:45) plus drills and strides. Sports massage at night.
              Th: 90 minutes pool-running
              F: 7 miles, including 1600m up-tempo (6:55)
              Sa: 4 miles very easy (9:58)
              Su: 3.5 mile warm-up, 15K race in 66:14, and 1 mile cooldown, followed by leg injury prevention work and 500 yards recovery swimming.

Tapered for and ran the local 15K - fast course in perfect weather.  Race report is here.

This is also my second week on Carbidopa/Levodopa - aka Sinemet.  It's helping, but not quite where I'd like to be.  To explain more, you can put my running symptoms into three buckets:

1) difficulty extending my stride

2) difficulty maintaining my running gait when I'm dealing with crowds, loud noises, poor visibility etc.
              3) difficulty navigating things like uneven pavement, cracks in the road or curbs, etc.

The previous medication I was on (Artane) helped somewhat with all three.  This new medication helps a lot more with bucket 1 but doesn't do much for buckets 2-3.  I mentioned this to the neuro and he said to be patient.  According to him it can take several weeks for Sinemet to fully work.  So I'll have to give it some more time.

Fishyone

Fishy - Very nice.  Time to update that signature.

Steve- I need to get in and get it done. It was a pretty soft one but a PR is a PR! I think my half may be my softest now.  Maybe boston build will give me a chance to update that one.

flavio80

Intl. correspondent

Keen - Well a shotgun would be an excellent motivator to have people running PRs
                  Pity you couldn't find an açaí bowl, but now you know you can easily run sub 2h50 the next time.
                  Then have your wife be waiting for you at the finish line with another açaí bowl, to speed up recovery! This time I'm not joking, açaí bowls became so popular with surfers, they'd be out there in the waves and come back to land super tired, an açaí bowl is highly caloric and full of vitamins and stuff.

Ch17 - Now that's interesting, any reason you go for the full 25 with no breaks? I usually will do 3x6 or 3x8 for the heavier stuff.
                  By the way, YOU'RE STRONG!!! 25 reps of 130lbs, so 130lbs must be like 60% of your max, so you probably can squat twice your body weight? Damn!. No wonder you know Darkwave, she's also super strong, you must know each other from street creds.

Fishy - Great job getting a new PR. Now tell us just how blue was your face on the last 500m ?
                  a) I was having tunnel vision towards the finish line.
                  b) I was seeing Jesus
                  c) I was seeing Pink Jesus
                  d) I was seeing Pink Jesus mounted on an orange unicorn

e) I was Pink Jesus mounted on an orange unicorn

Darkwave - I seem to remember that you had issues with face planting at the end of mile races, so perhaps you already had these neural issues for many years, only now the symptoms got worse?

PRs: 1500 4:54.1 2019 - 5K 17:53 2023 - 10K 37:55 2023 - HM 1:21:59 2021

Up next: no idea

Tool to generate Strava weekly

flavio80

Intl. correspondent

In non running related news, earlier today there was a ton of wind, I was walking back from the gym and as I thought about crossing a street, the head wind was so strong that I had to work to stay in place. I had to wait about 20 seconds for the gust of wind to stop, it had to be around 50 or 60km/h at least.

And one funny/interesting thing I've learned.

My sister had adopted my parent's cat because he was misbehaving too much (mostly causing mayhem to the neighbour's garden). After a little while he started biting her ankles, which are possibly playful bites. Seeing as he didn't have any siblings to "discipline" him, the bites were a bit too strong.

And yesterday she learned from a reel on Instagram how to avoid that: If he bites any part of her body, she will lick that part. Or at least lick her hand and pass that on the bit part. The cat will no longer bite it. And it works LOL. She must be very happy as it had gotten quite annoying, she had posted a picture where she had wrapped her legs in card board to avoid the bites.

Running Problem

Problem Child

fishy AWESOME!

darkwave hope it works out and gets better. Difficulty running in crowds seems worse than difficulty with gait, until I realize running alone is easier than running alone with difficulty.

Flavio At first I wondered why someone would get rid of a cat behaving until I deciphered the language barrior (English is stupid, and American is even worse)...the cat was MISbehaving too much, or "behaving badly". Interesting fact about the saliva and the cat not wanting to bite it.

The gust of wind you felt is close to what I had Saturday morning for hours. 27-50 km/h winds for the first half of the day, then 15+km/h winds with rain and then it got dark and REALLY rained about 4.5cm (1.75 American units).

I just finished some kind of weird 48 hour illness, then we earn ourselves some snow, and the morning commute was ice. I'd originally thought of doing a 6M +1E + 6M workout, but the wife, the weather, and the body had different plans. I did Jeep stuff (cut the body, and put on 40" tires (101.6 cm)) so late Friday night and earned myself very little sleep I just called it. 20-30 mph winds was a hard pass for an outside run BEFORE it started raining. Sunday I had a foot of snow. I measure this by sticking my foot in the snow and claiming it was "about a foot deep."

This week should start a very long Boston training. I'm not ready. Usually I'm worried about not being in race shape on Day 1. Training will probably match Hansons because my life can accomidate it best. I may throw in some JD2Q workouts if scheduling permits.

It was 12F (-11.11C) on my drive to work. burr.

Many of us aren't sure what the hell point you are trying to make and no matter how we guess, it always seems to be something else. Which usually means a person is doing it on purpose.

VDOT 53.37 

5k18:xx | Marathon 2:55:22

flavio80

Intl. correspondent

Thanks RP, I've edited the post.

Stupid English language 😛

JMac11

RIP Milkman

Fishy - Great job getting a new PR. Now tell us just how blue was your face on the last 500m ?
                          a) I was having tunnel vision towards the finish line.
                          b) I was seeing Jesus
                          c) I was seeing Pink Jesus
                          d) I was seeing Pink Jesus mounted on an orange unicorn

e) I was Pink Jesus mounted on an orange unicorn

Wait a minute. I thought the unicorn was pink. Now Jesus is the pink one?

Fishy great work on the 10k. Don't apologize for soft goals: I plan on doing the same thing next year to my 10K just so I can keep my yearly PR streak alive 

5K: 16:37 (11/20)  |  10K: 34:49 (10/19)  |  HM: 1:14:57 (5/22)  |  FM: 2:36:31 (12/19) 

Fishyone

Flavio- There's no doubt I was deep in the pain cave for the last 400M! The toughest part was that the race looped around the YMCA building at the finish so it was 3 right hand hard turns in a row.  I think I was just trying to not fall flat on my face for most of it.  Pink Jesus came when I was finally able to stop running

RP-  We had about an inch and a half of snow that froze overnight.  Upper 20s and snowy/icy conditions for my morning commute. Winter is gonna SUCK.  Joined the local gym and will try some TM runs.

All of this cat talk makes me think about the "Shark Tank" product you could attach to your tongue so you could groom your cat LOL.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i84dnAeMbq4

Pain is my friend

Finished my first ever 100 mile training week. The killer part was back to back marathons. First marathon felt easy and the body wanted to go faster. But I was smart and held back. The 2nd marathon I ran the first 18 with friends easy. Then picked up the pace to 7:20 the last 8.

#1- 3:32.09  Ave 8:06 run solo

#2- 3:31:23  Ave 8:04

Weekly for period: From: 12/05/2022 To 12/11/2022

Date Name mi km Duration Avg/mi Avg/km Elevation Gain
                              in ft
                              12/05 Where did the weekend go? I need another one 10.25 16.50 01:22:35 08:03 05:00 230
                              12/06 All down hill to the right 11.28 18.15 01:33:27 08:17 05:09 561
                              12/07 Progressing Magna one street at a time 10.02 16.12 01:17:27 07:44 04:48 105
                              12/08 Morning Run 10.08 16.23 01:24:52 08:25 05:14 295
                              12/09 Day one of many. How bad do you want it? 26.20 42.16 03:32:09 08:06 05:02 518
                              12/09 Lunch Run 3.52 5.66 00:46:46 13:17 08:16 39
                              12/09 TM 2.60 4.18 00:22:30 08:39 05:23 0
                              12/10 The group perfect 26.22 42.19 03:31:23 08:04 05:01 850

Total distance: 100.18mi

ATY 24   141.445 2019 1st

Bear 100 22:08 2021 

Jackpot 100 Feb 14:59 - 5th

St George marathon Oct 2:58

ATY 24 130.969 2022 2nd

Pulse endurance 12 hour 76.22 1ST CR

July Backyard ultra 22 yards Win

Sept Bear 100 24:08

Finished my first ever 100 mile training week. The killer part was back to back marathons. First marathon felt easy and the body wanted to go faster. But I was smart and held back. The 2nd marathon I ran the first 18 with friends easy. Then picked up the pace to 7:20 the last 8.

#1- 3:32.09  Ave 8:06 run solo

#2- 3:31:23  Ave 8:04

Wow this is impressive. I've only run 100 mile weeks twice, both in 2020. The first one was based on a single run of 13-15 miles each day. I did not find it too tough physically, but mentally it was a grind - starting every run knowing I was going to be out there for two hours, and 100% solo. The second one, I did not set out for 100, but finished with the last two days at 20 and 18. That was a tough enough back-to-back at the end of a big week, I can't imagine 26-26. And that may be an easy pace for you, but B2B 3:30 marathons is beastly.

Dave