2022 Advanced Racing Thread (Read 497 times)

JMac11

RIP Milkman

keen - we haven't heard your real emotions yet on finally getting this done. How are you feeling?

In about 3 days, I'm going to start shouting about us needing a new thread leader. This should be locked down by this point!

5K: 16:37 (11/20)  |  10K: 34:49 (10/19)  |  HM: 1:14:57 (5/22)  |  FM: 2:36:31 (12/19) 

In about 3 days, I'm going to start shouting about us needing a new thread leader. This should be locked down by this point!

Why, are you term limited?

Dave

JMac11

RIP Milkman

Why, are you term limited?

I had a terrible marathoning year. I blame it on my own leadership of this thread. In order to chase the Moose Mug next year, I need to only focus on my running and not my politics as benevolent dictator, although I know everyone would love to have me continue my reign.

5K: 16:37 (11/20)  |  10K: 34:49 (10/19)  |  HM: 1:14:57 (5/22)  |  FM: 2:36:31 (12/19) 

CommanderKeen

Cobra Commander Keen

JMac - Overall I'm really happy with it - even putting aside finishing times, that was by far the best marathon I've ever run.

I don't really see how I could have run faster than I did, which leads to the inescapable conclusion that despite massive training volume I have a pretty darn bad "speed surplus". For some unknown, illogical reason that makes me want to focus on shorter stuff, but I suppose it really plays into finally executing on a bad idea or two I've been saving for when I finally got "fast enough" (broadly, going sub 3).

5k: 17:58 11/22 │ 10k: 37:55 9/21 │ HM: 1:23:22 4/22 │ M: 2:56:05 12/22

Upcoming Races:

Fishyone

Damn Krash!!  100 miles on 6 runs.  That's some ultra training right there.  26.2 wasn't enough you had to throw in a lunch jog and some TM work too.

Finished my first ever 100 mile training week. The killer part was back to back marathons. First marathon felt easy and the body wanted to go faster. But I was smart and held back. The 2nd marathon I ran the first 18 with friends easy. Then picked up the pace to 7:20 the last 8.

#1- 3:32.09  Ave 8:06 run solo

#2- 3:31:23  Ave 8:04

Weekly for period: From: 12/05/2022 To 12/11/2022

Date Name mi km Duration Avg/mi Avg/km Elevation Gain
            in ft
            12/05 Where did the weekend go? I need another one 10.25 16.50 01:22:35 08:03 05:00 230
            12/06 All down hill to the right 11.28 18.15 01:33:27 08:17 05:09 561
            12/07 Progressing Magna one street at a time 10.02 16.12 01:17:27 07:44 04:48 105
            12/08 Morning Run 10.08 16.23 01:24:52 08:25 05:14 295
            12/09 Day one of many. How bad do you want it? 26.20 42.16 03:32:09 08:06 05:02 518
            12/09 Lunch Run 3.52 5.66 00:46:46 13:17 08:16 39
            12/09 TM 2.60 4.18 00:22:30 08:39 05:23 0
            12/10 The group perfect 26.22 42.19 03:31:23 08:04 05:01 850

Total distance: 100.18mi

5K 18:36 (2023), 10K 39:40 (2022), 1/2 1:24:37 (2023), full 2:58:36 (2015) 

Pain is my friend

Dave- Thanks. I feel I recovered well. I was able to run 10 miles this morning. Quads were a bit sore. But felt like I could run another marathon.

Fish- Thanks. I did the Lunch run with my daughter easy and TM run to make up the miles I needed to hit 100. I didn't want to do them Saturday after my long run. One day I would like to try 3 marathons back to back to back.

Wow this is impressive. I've only run 100 mile weeks twice, both in 2020. The first one was based on a single run of 13-15 miles each day. I did not find it too tough physically, but mentally it was a grind - starting every run knowing I was going to be out there for two hours, and 100% solo. The second one, I did not set out for 100, but finished with the last two days at 20 and 18. That was a tough enough back-to-back at the end of a big week, I can't imagine 26-26. And that may be an easy pace for you, but B2B 3:30 marathons is beastly.

ATY 24   141.445 2019 1st

Bear 100 22:08 2021 

Jackpot 100 Feb 14:59 - 5th

St George marathon Oct 2:58

ATY 24 130.969 2022 2nd

Pulse endurance 12 hour 76.22 1ST CR

July Backyard ultra 22 yards Win

Sept Bear 100 24:08

flavio80

Intl. correspondent

RP - Ugh, no wonder snow is called the white crap. And when it turns to ice it becomes so annoying and dangerous.

Fishy - Excellent, then it was perfect execution. You likely have a 1h26 or 1h27 half in you as well.

Krash - reading your weekly is always mind bending, this is really super hero level stuff.

Wait what? 100 miles. DAMN!

Wait what? Back to back marathons in 2 days? DAMN!

Wait what? A marathon was not enough, he went out to run some more on the same day? DAMN!

PRs: 1500 4:54.1 2019 - 5K 17:53 2023 - 10K 37:55 2023 - HM 1:21:59 2021

Up next: no idea

Tool to generate Strava weekly

Running Problem

Problem Child

Krash how many marathons were you planning or thinking of running in a row?

Many of us aren't sure what the hell point you are trying to make and no matter how we guess, it always seems to be something else. Which usually means a person is doing it on purpose.

VDOT 53.37 

5k18:xx | Marathon 2:55:22

Running Problem

Problem Child

I had a terrible marathoning year. I blame it on my own leadership of this thread. In order to chase the Moose Mug next year, I need to only focus on my running and not my politics as benevolent dictator, although I know everyone would love to have me continue my reign.

So dictorial of you. Ordering a replacement volunteer while blaming us for your downfalls. 

Many of us aren't sure what the hell point you are trying to make and no matter how we guess, it always seems to be something else. Which usually means a person is doing it on purpose.

VDOT 53.37 

Fishyone

JMac- I know it's tough but don't read too much into NYC. Unless you are an elite, trying to run a PR on a warm humid day just isn't in the cards.  If you ran Philly a few weeks later you would have crushed it!

Keen- I had a let down after running sub 3.  It's struggle when you're focused on a goal for more than a year and you finally reach it.  It's inevitable to say "what's next." For me it was inconsistent training and goofing off....I don't recommend my approach   I can honestly tell you it's harder to approach 3 a second time.  Enjoy it and relish in the accomplishment but remember Moose Mug is always just a cycle or two away.

Flavio- It's either a 5K or half on Jan.1. I haven't made the final call yet. I am enjoying the routine of a race every weekend and @ 50 Miles a week.  January will be tough ramping the miles back up.

5K 18:36 (2023), 10K 39:40 (2022), 1/2 1:24:37 (2023), full 2:58:36 (2015) 

JMac11

RIP Milkman

So dictorial of you. Ordering a replacement volunteer while blaming us for your downfalls. 

It's just like kids: all of the good traits my child has are because of my parenting skills, all of the bad traits are genetics that I have no control over 

Keen - get on the 5K/10K training bandwagon for the spring/summer! That's what all the cool kids are doing. I hope your bad idea isn't the other direction, i.e. ultras. Remember, that's where slow runners go to die 

Fishy - pretty cool to see a new PR on the sig line after so many years!

CommanderKeen

Cobra Commander Keen

Fishy - After my previous marathon PR (2018) I had no goal in mind already and my motivation to run absolutely tanked and it took a while to get it back. I avoided that this year by having my plan to get in an early qualifying HM for NYC 2024 and maybe doing some stupid stuff (somewhat detailed below).

JMac -  My stupid ideas are trending in a "longer" direction. I've talked just a little about it to my coach (nothing set yet, nothing signed up for) and if I do this plan on following SeattleMax's advice to me from years ago - train to run a fast marathon. These are gravel road affairs, something I can emulate very easily right outside of my neighborhood, not "hiking in the mountains" races, so I shouldn't get slow doing this. Even if I do this I'll almost certainly be getting in at least one marathon next year and a few HMs as well.

Besides, how can you look at pictures like these and not want to run it?!

5k: 17:58 11/22 │ 10k: 37:55 9/21 │ HM: 1:23:22 4/22 │ M: 2:56:05 12/22

Upcoming Races:

JMac11

RIP Milkman

Besides, how can you look at pictures like these and not want to run it?!

Beautiful. However, you know what I immediately think of when seeing this? What do you do when a thunderstorm rolls in? The thought of running on open prairies for that long with no potential cover? I am shell shocked from one too many close calls on the golf course that just the sound of thunder has me running indoors. You guys in the heartland are troopers.

Running Problem

Problem Child

Beautiful. However, you know what I immediately think of when seeing this? What do you do when a thunderstorm rolls in? The thought of running on open prairies for that long with no potential cover? I am shell shocked from one too many close calls on the golf course that just the sound of thunder has me running indoors. You guys in the heartland are troopers.

You pull your raincoat out of your pack, and remember you have carbon fiber poles so you’re safer than the guy next to you with aluminum poles.  Also, you spread out more so you have a lower chance of being zapped by lightening.  It’s a LOT more dangerous when you’re 10-14,000 ft high and have metal poles in your hands than on the flatlands.

VDOT 53.37 

Running Problem

Problem Child

It's just like kids: all of the good traits my child has are because of my parenting skills, all of the bad traits are genetics that I have no control over 

Keen - get on the 5K/10K training bandwagon for the spring/summer! That's what all the cool kids are doing. I hope your bad idea isn't the other direction, i.e. ultras. Remember, that's where slow runners go to die 

Fishy - pretty cool to see a new PR on the sig line after so many years!

Interesting.  All MY kids BAD traits are directly linked to their father’s asshole behaviors, and the good ones are genetics I passed on so their mother wouldn’t ever forget me if she kills me in my sleep. Like how my son dances around to music in his head, or whistles (dad taught him how) cat calls or that noise you make when you think ‘wow.’

edit: also that whistle people do to call their dog/kids/aid station captains.

VDOT 53.37