2022 Advanced Racing Thread (Read 497 times)

flavio80

Intl. correspondent

Keen - I know you never say the word, but have you got covid again? Cause your runs look a lot like mine post covid.

RP - I'm fairly certain you can do it. It might take 4 or 5 weeks of doing one vo2max workout per week, but you can definitely do it.Sometimes all it takes is getting used to the higher cadence.

PRs: 1500 4:54.1 2019 - 5K 17:53 2023 - 10K 37:55 2023 - HM 1:21:59 2021

Up next: some 800m race (or time trials) / Also place in the top 20% in a trail race

Tool to generate Strava weekly

dktrotter

Dorothea

RP - I'm fairly certain you can do it. It might take 4 or 5 weeks of doing one vo2max workout per week, but you can definitely do it.Sometimes all it takes is getting used to the higher cadence.

I agree. I guess you're just unsure about doing it for multiple reps? But even I can do a 3 minute 800 if I'm properly fit. Just don't ask me to do it multiple times in a row on less than a 600m rest.

Qualifications: I like to run. In Florida. In the summer. At noon.  

Last race: Community 5K, March 2nd. Speed test run with 2 walk breaks. Went pretty well.  

dktrotter

Dorothea

dorothy I never knew what HRV was until Garmin unlocked it in my watch. It accurately predicted me getting sick about 2 days before I was sick. This wasn’t recently either. It was months ago when I was just casually running. I wake up And laugh how my watch says I’m stressed.   Two days later my fever hits.

I also didn't know about HRV until I got a Fitbit and started wearing it to count my sleep (which is admittedly creepy, and also never accurate anyway), but I've been wary of tempting fate and usually know to double-up on Vitamin C and sleep if it starts going down. It was on a downward trend when I PRed in the 5k two months ago, though, and no ill effects, so I think like all things, one should take it with a grain of salt.

Last race: Community 5K, March 2nd. Speed test run with 2 walk breaks. Went pretty well.  

JMac11

RIP Milkman

Dktrotter - I forgot to welcome you earlier, welcome! Hopefully you stick around. We've had a few new people this year (Dave, mmerkle) who have joined this year and are good contributors to the forum. Looking forward to new people! We had another runner from Florida weatherboy who has been battling with some health issues, but always got a ton of respect around here given the weather you guys have to train in 9 out of 12 months a year.

Keen - my post said that you were excluded from being nominated, yet the people seem to have spoken. You can join the 2x+ club with me and JT for people who've run a thread multiple times

RP - I'm going to start 5K training soon and I'm not going anywhere near 1200s until maybe 8-10 weeks into that training. Hopefully that shows you you shouldn't worry about that workout. I would spend the next few weeks also just doing some tempo runs to get the legs moving again before you dive into workouts like this.

It's about time for year-end reports. I will write mine up next week once Keen officially declares he has accepted his role as our new beloved leader.

5K: 16:37 (11/20)  |  10K: 34:49 (10/19)  |  HM: 1:14:57 (5/22)  |  FM: 2:36:31 (12/19) 

Mikkey

Mmmm Bop

Alright, nobody has volunteered to lead the thread, so now I need to really force the discussion!

The last 3 years have been run by myself, JT, and RPJT is the real champ as he ran the 2019 thread as well! He can officially retire.

I would also say anyone who has run the sub 1:30 thread in the last couple of years is disqualified as well. I am not sure if Flavio is on the list since he abandoned that thread halfway through the year, but it excludes Keen and Steve

For consistent posters who have been around for at least a year, that leaves us with Mikkey, Flavio, Fishy, Mark, and Dave. Who is picking up the slack??

I would be prepared to start a Sub 3 marathon thread next year (on condition that Cal and JT start posting here again!) and I don’t care if it’s only 4/5 posters that participate.

It seems bizarre to me that there will continue to be 2 threads pretty much the same next year….but The Waltons want to stay separate because it’s more happy there.  Honestly. 🤦🏻

5k - 17:53 (4/19)   10k - 37:53 (11/18)   Half - 1:23:18 (4/19)   Full - 2:50:43 (4/19)

CommanderKeen

Cobra Commander Keen

Flavio - I'm pretty sure I just got the flu after the race, then when I got over that I picked up a bit of a stomach bug. Feeling better now, though. I'm also just kinda enjoying getting more sleep at night. Waking up "whenever" before work and getting the girls to school and fitting in a short run during the day whenever it suits me. I'm pretty sure I can hit my 4,000mi/6,437km (that's such a more round, pleasing number in Imperial form) distance stretch goal for the year even taking it easy.

Dorothea - I felt much better this morning than I have the past couple of days and, sure enough, Garmin had my HRV back at a much better level overnight. My "stress" scores have also been much lower today than previosly as well. It interests me how closely this stuff tracks to how I actually feel.
              Yesterday I somewhat disagreed with it to begin with - I felt ok when I woke up, but Garmin didn't like my sleep and said I was in a "high stress" state a lot. And sure enough I started feeling run down pretty early in the day.

JMac - If the peasants truly elevate me to position of Thread Dictator and Supreme Overlord I'll accept it, though it seems that Mikkey's also up to the task.

Mikkey - I think having separate threads is a perfectly fine idea. We tried combining them previously and between general attitudes and race distance goals it just seemed better having them separate even if it's more work for anyone who keeps up with both.

5k: 17:58 11/22 │ 10k: 37:55 9/21 │ HM: 1:23:22 4/22 │ M: 2:56:05 12/22

Upcoming Races:

OKC Memorial 5k - April 27

Bun Run 5k - May 4

Mikkey

Mmmm Bop

Mikkey - I think having separate threads is a perfectly fine idea. We tried combining them previously and between general attitudes and race distance goals it just seemed better having them separate even if it's more work for anyone who keeps up with both.

I’m glad you agree. The marathon thread had a lot more edge and less of that “everyone is a winner” attitude which I find really cringe!

If I’m going to run Boston next April then I need real winners on the thread which will inspire me to crush Cal. 😎

5k - 17:53 (4/19)   10k - 37:53 (11/18)   Half - 1:23:18 (4/19)   Full - 2:50:43 (4/19)

SteveChCh

Hot Weather Complainer

I can’t think why any newcomer would be deterred from this thread…

5km: 18:34 11/23 │ 10km: 39:10 8/23 │ HM: 1:26:48 9/23 │ M: 3:34:49 6/23

2024 Races:

Motorway Half Marathon February 25, 2024 1:29:55

Christchurch Half-Marathon April 21, 2024

Selwyn Marathon June 2, 2024

Dunedin Half Marathon September 15, 2024

Running Problem

Problem Child

I’m glad you agree. The marathon thread had a lot more edge and less of that “everyone is a winner” attitude which I find really cringe!

If I’m going to run Boston next April then I need real winners on the thread which will inspire me to crush Cal. 😎

I need the constant reminder keen ram 2 seconds faster than me at CIM with comparable weather. Him running the thread will remind me I have to throw down.

JMac well since you saw my Thursday run you can see I got over the speed work. It was supposed to me 1km repeats too. OOPS! 
                    im probably going to stick with Hansons and not switch anything up. I just was handed work from home privilege so I could POSSIBLY get all my runs done before family comes home. Again. Like 2021 CIM training.

Many of us aren't sure what the hell point you are trying to make and no matter how we guess, it always seems to be something else. Which usually means a person is doing it on purpose.

VDOT 53.37 

5k18:xx | Marathon 2:55:22

Fishyone

Mikkey- I forgot we changed the thread to "racing" and not "marathon" so I do see the advantage of combining but each to their own. I do agree we need to get Cal and JT back. I've tried a couple of times but I'm starting to worry 

Flavio- Completely agree with the cadence comment.  For shits and giggles I compared my last few workouts with 2014-15 (when I was in shape) and my stride length is almost exactly the same.  What I'm seeing/feeling is that the last few weeks of speedwork has made a cadence in the 180s feel "normal" again. Even my recovery cadence is faster but still feels easy.

JMac- You are a shining beacon in your effort to relinquish power.  I fear if we allow Mikkey a taste of the immense power and prestige he will not give it up and we will have elected a dictator for life  Or at least until You, RP and Keen surpass him in Moose Mug count.

5K 18:36 (2023), 10K 39:40 (2022), 1/2 1:24:37 (2023), full 2:58:36 (2015) 

Marky_Mark_17

It seems bizarre to me that there will continue to be 2 threads pretty much the same next year….but The Waltons want to stay separate because it’s more happy there.  Honestly. 🤦🏻

It's not that bizarre.  We tried merging.  It didn't work (surprise, surprise).  Some people prefer threads where they have can have decent discussions without trolling.

3,000m: 9:07.7 (Nov-21) | 5,000m: 15:39 (Dec-19) | 10,000m: 32:34 (Mar-20)  

10km: 33:15 (Sep-19) | HM: 1:09:41 (May-21)* | FM: 2:41:41 (Oct-20)

* Net downhill course

Last race: Waterfront HM, 7 Apr, 1:15:48

Up next: Runway5, 4 May

"CONSISTENCY IS KING"

JMac11

RIP Milkman

I can’t think why any newcomer would be deterred from this thread…

The Competitive Jerks over here and the Sanctimonious Waltons over there. Who ya got?

Fishy - my goal is to win a Moose Mug next year and ride (run?) off into the sunset. Of course I've said that since the winter of 2019 and we've seen how that's gone.

Keen - congrats on your victory! Because I strongly believe in the peaceful transfer power, you are officially the 2023 thread leader. Good luck and godspeed

5K: 16:37 (11/20)  |  10K: 34:49 (10/19)  |  HM: 1:14:57 (5/22)  |  FM: 2:36:31 (12/19) 

SteveChCh

Hot Weather Complainer

The Competitive Jerks over here and the Sanctimonious Waltons over there. Who ya got?

Sigh.

Dorothea - Please hang in!

Keen - Congrats!  Your steady hand and crazy mileage can hopefully guide us all next year.

5km: 18:34 11/23 │ 10km: 39:10 8/23 │ HM: 1:26:48 9/23 │ M: 3:34:49 6/23

2024 Races:

Motorway Half Marathon February 25, 2024 1:29:55

Christchurch Half-Marathon April 21, 2024

Selwyn Marathon June 2, 2024

Dunedin Half Marathon September 15, 2024

Marky_Mark_17

Oh the irony of a pointless insult when someone points out that some people just prefer threads without pointless insults.

Or maybe you were just being “edgy”.

3,000m: 9:07.7 (Nov-21) | 5,000m: 15:39 (Dec-19) | 10,000m: 32:34 (Mar-20)  

10km: 33:15 (Sep-19) | HM: 1:09:41 (May-21)* | FM: 2:41:41 (Oct-20)

* Net downhill course

Last race: Waterfront HM, 7 Apr, 1:15:48

Up next: Runway5, 4 May

"CONSISTENCY IS KING"

dktrotter

Dorothea

I'll have to catch up more tomorrow, but basically, I see I joined at an interesting time :-) Glad to see the peaceful transfer of power.

I'm also not easily deterred... and y'all seem nice enough. Plus, I need that competitive drive in my life. I too want to go to Boston in 2024 (albeit I don't need to sub-3, or that close to that really).