2022 Advanced Racing Thread (Read 497 times)

SteveChCh

Hot Weather Complainer

I just noticed this "Qualifications: I like to run. In Florida. In the summer. At noon"

What the actual...you're easily crazy enough to handle this place.

5km: 18:34 11/23 │ 10km: 39:10 8/23 │ HM: 1:26:48 9/23 │ M: 3:34:49 6/23

2024 Races:

Motorway Half Marathon February 25, 2024 1:29:55

Christchurch Half-Marathon April 21, 2024 1:27:34

Selwyn Marathon June 2, 2024

Dunedin Half Marathon September 15, 2024

JMac11

RIP Milkman

I'll have to catch up more tomorrow, but basically, I see I joined at an interesting time :-) Glad to see the peaceful transfer of power.

I'm also not easily deterred... and y'all seem nice enough. Plus, I need that competitive drive in my life. I too want to go to Boston in 2024 (albeit I don't need to sub-3, or that close to that really).

LOL we actually are nice. Ask Dave, mmerkle, or fishy, the latest people who have joined and stuck around. Maybe helpful is a better word than nice .

5K: 16:37 (11/20)  |  10K: 34:49 (10/19)  |  HM: 1:14:57 (5/22)  |  FM: 2:36:31 (12/19) 

Mikkey

Mmmm Bop

Oh the irony of a pointless insult when someone points out that some people just prefer threads without pointless insults.

Or maybe you were just being “edgy”.

You really are a fucking dick.  I suggested a separate marathon thread again so that people like you wouldn’t have to put up with “edgy” posters.

5k - 17:53 (4/19)   10k - 37:53 (11/18)   Half - 1:23:18 (4/19)   Full - 2:50:43 (4/19)

SteveChCh

Hot Weather Complainer

You really are a fucking dick.  I suggested a separate marathon thread again so that people like you wouldn’t have to put up with “edgy” posters.

I hate to fact check you here coach, but you suggested a sub 3 thread which Mark qualifies for ahead of almost everyone else here if it’s ranked in order of times. Can we have a sub 5 thread for me?

Call me crazy, but doesn’t the thread always head this way in December..let’s start the yearly reviews. JMac, I expect yours by the time I wake up

5km: 18:34 11/23 │ 10km: 39:10 8/23 │ HM: 1:26:48 9/23 │ M: 3:34:49 6/23

2024 Races:

Motorway Half Marathon February 25, 2024 1:29:55

Christchurch Half-Marathon April 21, 2024 1:27:34

Selwyn Marathon June 2, 2024

Dunedin Half Marathon September 15, 2024

Mikkey

Mmmm Bop

I hate to fact check you here coach, but you suggested a sub 3 thread which Mark qualifies for ahead of almost everyone else here if it’s ranked in order of times. Can we have a sub 5 thread for me?

Huh? I didn’t know Marky was planning to run a marathon in 2023.  That would entertain me. 

5k - 17:53 (4/19)   10k - 37:53 (11/18)   Half - 1:23:18 (4/19)   Full - 2:50:43 (4/19)

darkwave

Mother of Cats

LOL we actually are nice. Ask Dave, mmerkle, or fishy, the latest people who have joined and stuck around. Maybe helpful is a better word than nice .

This is the "less filters" thread.

The other thread is the "more filters" thread.

Everyone's gotta running blog; I'm the only one with a POOL-RUNNING blog.

And...if you want a running Instagram where all the pictures are of cats, I've got you covered.

Fishyone

I'll have to catch up more tomorrow, but basically, I see I joined at an interesting time :-) Glad to see the peaceful transfer of power.

I'm also not easily deterred... and y'all seem nice enough. Plus, I need that competitive drive in my life. I too want to go to Boston in 2024 (albeit I don't need to sub-3, or that close to that really).

DK- Spot on!! everyone here is nice and most importantly they all seem to share the same strange addiction to running long distances at sometimes uncomfortable speeds. I sat on the sidelines a read for a long time before posting and can assure you that there is a lot of good motivation and accountability in this group!!  There were multiple time in my last 2 marathons (and recent shorter races) that I did think about my "internet stranger friends" and used it as motivation.  It has more that paid for the cost to join 

And to quote Dave Loggins:  "Please come to Boston for the Springtime I'm stayin' here with some friends and they've got lotsa room"

5K 18:36 (2023), 10K 39:40 (2022), 1/2 1:24:37 (2023), full 2:58:36 (2015) 

dktrotter

Dorothea

Dktrotter - I forgot to welcome you earlier, welcome! Hopefully you stick around. We've had a few new people this year (Dave, mmerkle) who have joined this year and are good contributors to the forum. Looking forward to new people! We had another runner from Florida weatherboy who has been battling with some health issues, but always got a ton of respect around here given the weather you guys have to train in 9 out of 12 months a year.

Thank you JMac! Don't mind me. Just hanging out awkwardly in the back, trying to get a feel for the place. If weatherboy does come back, we can rub the beautiful weather we have these next 3 months in everyone's faces :-) But yes, the other 9 are pretty terrible. And it's not so bad for training... I can deal with that. It's the racing and every race sign-up being a crap shoot. This past Sunday, I was actually signed up for the West Palm Beach Marathon, but the temp at 6am was going to be 70. So I drove 300 miles north to be in Jacksonville (different climate zone) where the temp was 59 at the start and a dew point of 57 (which was still too high for my taste).

Qualifications: I like to run. In Florida. In the summer. At noon.  

Last race: Community 5K, March 2nd. Speed test run with 2 walk breaks. Went pretty well.  

dktrotter

Dorothea

I just noticed this "Qualifications: I like to run. In Florida. In the summer. At noon"

What the actual...you're easily crazy enough to handle this place.

ha ha Steve, I won't do all my runs at noon. Just the ones where I'm too effing lazy to be up at 5am to get the cooler temps and all the humidity.

Last race: Community 5K, March 2nd. Speed test run with 2 walk breaks. Went pretty well.  

Fishyone

This is the "less filters" thread.

The other thread is the "more filters" thread.

DW- I hate filters!  I think, like RP, I long to rebel against authority.

I'm in a Quoting mood this morning so here we go:

“I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it.”
                      ― S.G. Tallentyre

A better version and MUCH more descriptive of this thread:

"I may not agree with you, but I will defend to the death your right to make an ass of yourself.”
                      ― Oscar Wilde

5K 18:36 (2023), 10K 39:40 (2022), 1/2 1:24:37 (2023), full 2:58:36 (2015) 

dktrotter

Dorothea

DK- Spot on!! everyone here is nice and most importantly they all seem to share the same strange addiction to running long distances at sometimes uncomfortable speeds. I sat on the sidelines a read for a long time before posting and can assure you that there is a lot of good motivation and accountability in this group!!  There were multiple time in my last 2 marathons (and recent shorter races) that I did think about my "internet stranger friends" and used it as motivation.  It has more that paid for the cost to join 

And to quote Dave Loggins:  "Please come to Boston for the Springtime I'm stayin' here with some friends and they've got lotsa room"

Awesome, and awesome. Thanks Fishyone. Also, great quotes. I love Oscar Wilde.

And darkwave, I like how you described it as "less filters." Having a European background, I'm all for directness :-)

Marky_Mark_17

Another insult, how "edgy".

If I had a problem with edgy (or whatever other word you're going to invent to justify throwing insults around like it's somehow constructive), I wouldn't keep on hanging around this thread, would I?

3,000m: 9:07.7 (Nov-21) | 5,000m: 15:39 (Dec-19) | 10,000m: 32:34 (Mar-20)  

10km: 33:15 (Sep-19) | HM: 1:09:41 (May-21)* | FM: 2:41:41 (Oct-20)

* Net downhill course

Last race: Waterfront HM, 7 Apr, 1:15:48

Up next: Runway5, 4 May

"CONSISTENCY IS KING"

JoshWolf

Part of TLC

You really are a fucking dick.  

Aah, there's nothing like the proverbial British politeness. You were looking into a mirror while typing this, I suppose?

Really, what's your problem, pal?

Don't hurry - next AG will start 2026

mmerkle

Welcome dktrotter! Don't mind the banter around here lol. People are very willing to help and share past experiences, including failures. Say what you will about the occasional back and forth BS but I haven't seen very much one-upmanship or anything like that here. At least not when it comes to running.

DW What are these mystical filters of which you speak?

need2tri

+ 1 . Just so weird with Mikkey's lack of self awareness. I like his banter at times and he seems genuinely willing to help with running. But if you don't like his way of communication then, how dare you?!

Aah, there's nothing like the proverbial British politeness. You were looking into a mirror while typing this, I suppose?

Really, what's your problem, pal?