2022 Advanced Racing Thread (Read 497 times)

In other news: my goal was to run 3000 mi for 2022. I'm at 2988.3 mi. Fingers crossed.

ch17 - Excuse my log-stalking, but if I'm not mistaken that'll make it 4 years in a row. Very impressive!!

Dave

mmerkle

Keen Nice year. I remembered the half PR and obviously the marathon but I didn't realize you also snuck in a couple 5k PRs. Let's get some more next year.

ch17 Nicely done. I think you got this last 12 lol.

dktrotter

Dorothea

DK - I will use the official time whenever possible, except if the course was short, or too long.
        Also, measured course means jack if they place the turn cones on the wrong spots.

Flavio, fair enough. Also wasn't thinking when I was exclusive to the USA crowd with the USATF note. I just meant something "officially certified," though as you say, that doesn't always mean anything anyway. Also I did not realize that this was a dead horse (though it makes sense), so I'll leave it alone now.

Thanks DW for the welcome! I lurked a bit on your blog and Instagram. Both very cool... especially your pool running in general. I still have my pool-running belt and would resort to it again if the injury allowed/required, but I'd rather just straight swim or cycle, if I can. I lose focus and from so quickly when attempting pool running. But it seems to work really well for you. Also ditto Dave about Houston. I've heard good things about that race as well and a few of my running club are traveling for it next month. It's probably going to be great!

RP no problem about shortening my name. It's not like I haven't been following other's lead and do that to yours :-) Re: Temp + Dew Point training scale.. I have a fair amount of knowledge about that. Interestingly, a 2012 analysis of over a million marathoners by Nour El Helou, et al., concluded that there’s only a weak association between dew point and running performance. It's just one study though, and it does nothing about the fact that a 60+ dew point is still really uncomfortable for long distances.

I am going to have to figure out how to do weekliesm (last week's was nothing to talk about), and hope no one minds if I post my yearly, even if I got here at the tail end. I likely to do it between the holidays though, as I feel weird calling a year too soon.

Qualifications: I like to run. In Florida. In the summer. At noon.  

Last race: Community 5K, March 2nd. Speed test run with 2 walk breaks. Went pretty well.  

there’s only a weak association between dew point and running performance.

What? That makes no sense. Have not read the link, but I don’t know how that can be so.

Dave

flavio80

Intl. correspondent

Cobra Commander Keen - I love that title, "Competitive Jerks Racing Thread"
            Kudos on having a great year!

RP - Ah, I think you had already told me but my gold fish brain didn't record it.
            Thanks, that sounds like a very nice app. I have signed up with my Garmin account, let's see what it does with my data.
            I know for a fact that I wouldn't want to run all the streets though as I check them beforehand for danger of dogs.

Krash - Only one marathon last week? Slacker!

Steve - The difficulty in setting the right pace will be about the same IMHO.
            Especially because heart rate tends to climb slowly through the reps.
            On a Vo2Max workout my heart rate will start around 145 on the first rep and easily arrive at 160 (95% of Max) on the last couple of reps.
            The wrist based heart rate monitor on my Garmin 945 is excellent. My previous watch, the 645, it would sometimes spike at the beginning of a run, but the current one is very sensitive to effort changes.

DK - if you use Strava, check the link in my signature (https://strava-weekly.herokuapp.com/), it builds the weekly for you and you can even set it to metric to annoy the 'muricans. What can they do, metric are the units that took the man to the moon 😎

PRs: 1500 4:54.1 2019 - 5K 17:53 2023 - 10K 37:55 2023 - HM 1:21:59 2021

Up next: some 800m race (or time trials) / Also place in the top 20% in a trail race

Tool to generate Strava weekly

zebano

Flavio Just stopping by to let you know I am right now eating my first ever Acai bowl. It's pretty darn good. Next step is to try it before a morning workout.

1600 - 5:23 (2018), 5k - 19:33 (2018), 10k - 41:20 (2021), half - 1:38:57 (2018), Marathon - 3:37:17 (2018)

dktrotter

Dorothea

oh! and darkwave, the progressive long run is an awesome way to prep for a marathon. It's both a mental boost (when it goes well, like yours clearly did) and good practice for what you want to do in the race as well. Nicely done :-)

Last race: Community 5K, March 2nd. Speed test run with 2 walk breaks. Went pretty well.  

Running Problem

Problem Child

DKI don't think I'll ever have a 60 dew point day where I live. I think the highest I'll get for the TDP is 138. Pretty much miserable enough to make hard training suck more, but not enough to justify backing off more than a few seconds.

What is your PhD in?

I thought I was being given a gift by the training gods. I'm 90% sure it's going to be taken away, and I'll be back to my regularly scheduled programming in 2023.

Many of us aren't sure what the hell point you are trying to make and no matter how we guess, it always seems to be something else. Which usually means a person is doing it on purpose.

VDOT 53.37 

5k18:xx | Marathon 2:55:22

JMac11

RIP Milkman

DK - I took a look at that study. From what I could tell, it's pretty obvious why they said dew point didn't matter: most of their races measured the dew points south of 50F. Of course dew point won't impact the race then! The only way to tell if dew point matters is to take a 65 degree day and run the race with a 35 dew point and a 65 dew point. I guarantee you the results are massively difference. Also be careful on the GPS vs. certified course thing - that too has been a major squabble among folks here. You can guess which side the competitive jerks landed on . I think Flavio has a good point on some really badly measured courses, but I would never take a GPS rating in a clearly well measured course. If I took the GPS measurement, I would add a minimum of 0.5% to my time.

Keen - great year recap. It's hard to imagine how one could have a better year this far into their running "career." Also love that we're officially naming it the competitive jerks thread. Maybe that'll stop the lurkers who provide absolutely zero value on a day to day basis but absolutely must comment on the petty squabbles going on.

Hashitarai - thank you, I thought it was an equal dig of us being the assholes and you guys being the morally superior thread, but somehow that still rubbed people the wrong way. You're always welcome to join us if you have a bit of jerk in you 

Zebano - that took way too long. I have my acai at least twice a week now because of Flavio pushing me to it. Wish I started sooner. It's almost addicting how good it is.

RP - it always amazes me how cold your weather gets this early in the winter. I guess that has to do with not being near a body of water like NYC, which helps moderate our temperatures in November and December.

Darkwave - you're like the UN ambassador of the two threads, always knowing how to put everything in perfect diplomatic context. One of the other ways I view it is like how people describe the northeast vs. the south/west. People in NYC are kind, but not nice. People in the south are nice, but not kind.

merkle - I've been saying I'm going to retire for years now and it hasn't happened, so don't take it too seriously. Although I think my fire is still there because NYC went so poorly due to the weather that I want redemption. If I get that moose mug at CIM, it's something that Keen hit on his post: when you're getting PRs all the time, they don't feel that special. But at that point, it will have been 4 years since my last marathon PR and it's going to mean a lot more to me if I ever break it, vs. setting a new PR in every single marathon I used to run.

5K: 16:37 (11/20)  |  10K: 34:49 (10/19)  |  HM: 1:14:57 (5/22)  |  FM: 2:36:31 (12/19) 

CommanderKeen

Cobra Commander Keen

Wow.

This didn't make it into my RR, but when I was at mile 24-25 an ambulance passed me (and Jenny from Florida) on the course, moving up the left-hand side of the road. Then just before the mile 26 marker at CIM I passed a person being treated by the ambulance crew before being loaded into said ambulance. I never heard anything else about this before today:

Outside Online article

5k: 17:58 11/22 â”‚ 10k: 37:55 9/21 â”‚ HM: 1:23:22 4/22 â”‚ M: 2:56:05 12/22

Upcoming Races:

OKC Memorial 5k - April 27

Bun Run 5k - May 4

Marky_Mark_17

DK - I took a look at that study. From what I could tell, it's pretty obvious why they said dew point didn't matter: most of their races measured the dew points south of 50F. Of course dew point won't impact the race then! The only way to tell if dew point matters is to take a 65 degree day and run the race with a 35 dew point and a 65 dew point. I guarantee you the results are massively difference.

100%.  Dew point doesn't matter, until it does.  Below about 16-17C / 60-65F, it doesn't make a lot of difference regardless what it is.  Above that, it definitely does.

Keen - YIKES! That poor guy.  I hope for him and his family that he recovers.

3,000m: 9:07.7 (Nov-21) | 5,000m: 15:39 (Dec-19) | 10,000m: 32:34 (Mar-20)  

10km: 33:15 (Sep-19) | HM: 1:09:41 (May-21)* | FM: 2:41:41 (Oct-20)

* Net downhill course

Last race: Waterfront HM, 7 Apr, 1:15:48

Up next: Runway5, 4 May

"CONSISTENCY IS KING"

SteveChCh

Hot Weather Complainer

Weird study, it's like saying the heat isn't a factor when it's cold...on a related note, I'm going to try and not weather complain in the next few months.  I've decided any hot weather is a perfect chance to prove I've overcome (or not) the cramp issues.  Not that it's been much of an issue yet, very disappointing summer so far.

Keen - Congrats on a great year.  That's an awful story, and not what you'd expect when someone experienced is on PR pace.  I don't know much about Rhabdomyolysis, but I would have thought that sort of breakdown would force you to fade/stop before it got so critical.  I guess it happened really fast.

Edit:  Just read through the whole story.  It sounds like a freak event.  The guy sounds like a machine, served in Iraq and an all round good guy.  Let's hope a miracle occurs.

JMac - Does a B race/heart rate baseline test qualify for the front page?  It will be a PR attempt.

5km: 18:34 11/23 â”‚ 10km: 39:10 8/23 â”‚ HM: 1:26:48 9/23 â”‚ M: 3:34:49 6/23

2024 Races:

Motorway Half Marathon February 25, 2024 1:29:55

Christchurch Half-Marathon April 21, 2024 1:27:34

Selwyn Marathon June 2, 2024

Dunedin Half Marathon September 15, 2024

Marky_Mark_17

Weird study, it's like saying the heat isn't a factor when it's cold...on a related note, I'm going to try and not weather complain in the next few months.  I've decided any hot weather is a perfect chance to prove I've overcome (or not) the cramp issues.  Not that it's been much of an issue yet, very disappointing summer so far.

You've changed.

3,000m: 9:07.7 (Nov-21) | 5,000m: 15:39 (Dec-19) | 10,000m: 32:34 (Mar-20)  

10km: 33:15 (Sep-19) | HM: 1:09:41 (May-21)* | FM: 2:41:41 (Oct-20)

* Net downhill course

Last race: Waterfront HM, 7 Apr, 1:15:48

Up next: Runway5, 4 May

"CONSISTENCY IS KING"

dktrotter

Dorothea

100%.  Dew point doesn't matter, until it does.  Below about 16-17C / 60-65F, it doesn't make a lot of difference regardless what it is.  Above that, it definitely does.

Keen - YIKES! That poor guy.  I hope for him and his family that he recovers.

JMac, My take-away from the article was actually that it's not the high dew point itself that makes such a difference, but that the higher temperature is ultimately the challenge to the quicker times. More interesting to me would be to see if 70F air temp. and 70 dew point would have worse results than 95F air temp and 35 dew point. Then one could also do the 65F air temp/35 DP... or 70/35. Don't know how much money there is in funding such studies, but with more events happening in places like Qatar, it may make sense to get more solid scientific analyses.

Also, sounds like I'm in the right group re: PR debate.

Keen, that is very sad news. I hope there is good news for him and his family soon. The responsiveness is a good sign, I would think.

Anyhow, I am thinking I may have to change my code name, as it may be raising expectations for my credibility in running knowledge. Can't claim to have a degree in sports or sports medicine... but I do use my research skills to gather knowledge about my favorite hobby subjects :-) My PhD in Comparative Literature is probably completely irrelevant except if you wanted a literary analysis of Once a Runner.

Thanks for the Strava weeklies link, Flavio! I will try that out. I may just set it to metric, because the numbers are also always higher that way :-)

And the acai bowl thread is making me curious to try it.

Good luck to everyone trying to get their yearly goals! I just hit 1700 miles/2738 km, which given that I broke a toe the second week of Jan. and couldn't run for about 5 weeks, I'm pretty okay with.

ch17

It's Tuesday every day

Thanks, davePNW and mmerkle!

Now there are 4.5 mi left. Assuming I don't wake up dead, they're outta here tomorrow (Wed in the US).

After that, I'm "allowed" to do zero zip nada until 1 Jan. Don't know that that'll happen, but it's gonna be awesome for nasty icy mornings and  a 6A flight.