2022 Advanced Racing Thread (Read 497 times)

SteveChCh

Hot Weather Complainer

mmerkle - Nice plan for 2023.  I'm getting a theme here...2023 could be a big year for this thread.  For 2022, Keen takes the glory.

5km: 18:34 11/23 │ 10km: 39:10 8/23 │ HM: 1:26:48 9/23 │ M: 3:34:49 6/23

2024 Races:

Motorway Half Marathon February 25, 2024 1:29:55

Christchurch Half-Marathon April 21, 2024

Selwyn Marathon June 2, 2024

Dunedin Half Marathon September 15, 2024

Running Problem

Problem Child

You know, if this place keeps moving this fast I’m going to have a hard time keeping up. Doesn’t ANYONE here have running to do? Just ‘blah blah blah’ all day long with ‘less than imaginary’ friends. Sheesh.

edit:

2022 in review

1. ran my entire zip code. It ended up being just about 450 miles. 
      2. ran Way Too Cool 50k about an hour FASTER than I thought I was capable of, and I had to painfully hike a lot of it. 
      3. paced a Welsh man I’ve never met for about 38 miles of Western States. Third time pacing. I think I figured it out. 
      4. finished my first ever 50 miler.  Placed in the top 10% I think (too lazy to check) AND spent a lot of time with the overall female winner. 
      5. ran for 365 days in a row. Average was 7 miles a day (2,555 total). Ran with a fever a few times.  Ran in 100F temps. Ran at 2:30am (part of my zip code run). Ran the day after a marathon which STARTED the whole FUCKING thing. Ran in wind. Ran in cold.  Ran when upset. Ran when happy. Learned running really helps and learned the hardest part of a streak is ending it. Also learned when I say I’m going to do something I do it…oh wait I already kinda knew that. 
      6. Got beat by TWO SECONDS by Keen after I gave him the secret to the magic at CIM. I was kinda happy for him, and it kinda kicked off marathon training. 
      7. Met my goal of 2,500 miles for the year.  I actually didn’t think this was going to be possible and the entire reason I did it was to atay in shape for Boston 2024 training.
      8. swapped the axles from a 1989 F350 into a 1989 Jeep Cherokee.  I went from not knowing how to weld to making an entirely custom suspension. So when people say ‘even a blind squirrel finds a nut’ I found the peanuts factory entrance. 

Many of us aren't sure what the hell point you are trying to make and no matter how we guess, it always seems to be something else. Which usually means a person is doing it on purpose.

VDOT 53.37 

5k18:xx | Marathon 2:55:22

mmerkle

RP Lol I like that you didn't ask if we have jobs or a life you just asked if we have running to do. Nice job on the streak, I can't fathom running the day after a marathon when I can't get down stairs.

Marky_Mark_17

Steve - thanks, honestly I think maybe it's a good thing I've had a lighter finish to the year.  I tied you for forum encounters having caught up with you, Watson and Hashiritai.  I am down Piwi's way in January so will hopefully catch up with him then too and will do my best to coax him out of retirement.  It's been good to see your enthusiasm for running get reinvigorated over the last few weeks.

JMac - I don't buy that age is a limiting factor for you at the current point.  Time doesn't make it easier but I know guys who've set 5km and 10km PRs well into their 40's despite having been running for 10 years plus.  Another who was a national steeplechase champ in his late 20's (back in the late 2000's) just ran his fastest 10k in over 10 years at age 41 or 42.  I'm a few years older than you and I still think on a good day, with the right training, any one of my PB's might be up for grabs other than possibly the 10,000m PB which had the added benefit of some altitude training.  Start telling yourself that you're too old and you definitely are.

RP - honestly your #8 might be the most productive thing anyone on this thread has managed this year.

Mmerkle - I know the sub-3 was (and is) the big goal but you've gotta be happy with that progression regardless.  Good job on the series win, there was a HM series here I used to run back around 2017-19 which was a lot of fun because there was some pretty good competition in there.

3,000m: 9:07.7 (Nov-21) | 5,000m: 15:39 (Dec-19) | 10,000m: 32:34 (Mar-20)  

10km: 33:15 (Sep-19) | HM: 1:09:41 (May-21)* | FM: 2:41:41 (Oct-20)

* Net downhill course

Last race: Maraetai HM, 10 Mar, DNF

Up next: Waterfront HM, 7 Apr

"CONSISTENCY IS KING"

I'm totally fine with that. Rule applies to everyone? Just asking.

Um, no. No rules apply to 'everyone'. Thought that was common knowledge...

50+ age-group PBs:  Half Perish 1:24:24 (June '23 Road Race) - 10km 37:52 (2022 Local Road Champs) - Track 5km 18:49 (Aug '22) - Perish Run 3:17:42

2024 Goals: Boston Perish Run Sub 3:15 - Road/Track 10km Sub 37:30 - 5km Sub 18:20

Running Problem

Problem Child

RP Lol I like that you didn't ask if we have jobs or a life you just asked if we have running to do. Nice job on the streak, I can't fathom running the day after a marathon when I can't get down stairs.

It’s actually as painful as you think. Sadly it has the added bonus of making running easy pace SOONER possible. So be cautious. 
              runnif the day after the 50 miler was comparably painful. Mussels were just as sore, but it was different muscles in the legs.  What I noticed the difference was is that a marathon used all the big muscles you’d expect to use.  The ultra used a bunch of muscles I didn’t know were sore the day before.

Many of us aren't sure what the hell point you are trying to make and no matter how we guess, it always seems to be something else. Which usually means a person is doing it on purpose.

VDOT 53.37 

5k18:xx | Marathon 2:55:22

dktrotter

Dorothea

I’m exactly the same and only focused on time and have no interest in how I place in the race or AG category, although I might think differently at Boston. 

I remember reading that you can improve for up to 10 or so years after you start running regardless of age. My marathon PR was after 11 years…with a little help from some cheater shoes!

I realize I'm not really fast compared to others in this group, but I'll win a few races or AGs in my region (given, Florida isn't that conducive to competitive running) and they are much less interesting to me than any race where I manage to PR. So I agree with Mikkey and JMac about only being out there racing myself. That being said, I am also age-graded at 0% difference, and I may feel differently once I can no longer beat my younger self. However, I imagine I'll probably have post-50 PRs, or maybe even post-baby PRs and still would not be a huge fan of realizing I only won because the faster peeps weren't there to beat me.

Also, I don't know how that 10 year thing works. I broke a 5k PR and 10k  PR this year after 17 years of running... but admittedly I wasn't training and competing intensely for all 17 of those years.

That being said, I guess I'm motivated to share my year now too, even if I said I was going to wait and even though I know I wasn't around for most of it and I am fighting a bit of imposter syndrome posting here. Still, y'all have inspired me already and I realize I should probably be running a lot more miles (let's say 2123 for a challenge for 2023). So that's my goal for next year. That and finally breaking 3:30 in the marathon and running my first ultra.

Year Report: I started my year off after a very disappointing marathon, which, admittedly, was run in 71F-85F with 68 dew point, totally residential, and generally just not that great. I was also iron anemic (without realizing it), but have since sorted that issue, I think.

I was getting into a good flow with running in Jan. when I broke my toe, got in a car accident on the way to the podiatrist to have it set, and then had it medically rebroken 10 days later to set it. However, the moment I realized I could run again without pain or adverse effects, I started running every day and that's a streak that's still going. I was half-heartedly following a year-round marathon running plan (one that amps up for peak training two months before goal races) and jumped into a lot of shorter races in the spring, getting faster times than I had in about 6 years and PRing in the 10k in April.

Spent the summer training for back-to-back halves but did not feel great about it, so the day before the event switched from the 2 x 1/2 to 12 x 3.3. I think a smart choice, as I am convinced I would have died running a half marathon at noon on sand in Florida July heat (I say I like it, but not that much--also, the event was called the Trident... kind of crazy but a lot of fun and a very well put-on race. You can read more about it here).

After a relatively quick recovery and finding out a week before the semester started that I had a teaching gig for '22/'23, I barely managed to keep up my running-for-sanity load, but somehow managed to run a 5k PR at 21:01 in Sept. (from 21:13), which I only mention because I feel like it's significant that a) I was 2 seconds off sub-something (obviously replayed that race over and over in my head looking for places I could have shaved off seconds) and b) like the 10k PR, I wasn't actually trying/training for a PR. And I say that not to be like "oh, I didn't have to try," but because looking back, obviously the 13 x 3.3 must have helped in some way, the year long training plan too, the week I kind of took off (but still cycled) right before the race, and maybe not having an expectations at the actual race. It's one of the reasons I think focussing on the ultra and using the marathon as a "tune-up" race may actually work for me in getting a better time.

Technically, I started training for a Dec. marathon in Aug. (whether it would be one closer to home or a five hour drive north depended on the weather). I say technically, because it didn't really ramp up until after the emergency week trip to Germany in Sept. mentioned above. But after that training was mostly smooth, workouts felt good, I had a club to run long runs with on weekends and a track (finally! I forget who wrote it here, but I've long been annoyed by living near a public high school and not being able to use the track) to do speed work on. However, I wasn't doing any lower-body strength work, and I only realized after the race that my running load was set at 70% of what the plan called for... so I think I know why I didn't break my marathon PR, though the showing was still muuuch better than the one a year ago.

Anyway, that's when I decided to scrap the plan I was using (it was individualized, but only to a point), hire a local coach, and find this forum.

Flavio, that's hilarious what those German athletes at Rio told you. Definitely a selling point for the acai.

Qualifications: I like to run. In Florida. In the summer. At noon.  

Last race: Community 5K, March 2nd. Speed test run with 2 walk breaks. Went pretty well.  

dktrotter

Dorothea

It’s actually as painful as you think. Sadly it has the added bonus of making running easy pace SOONER possible. So be cautious. 
                  runnif the day after the 50 miler was comparably painful. Mussels were just as sore, but it was different muscles in the legs.  What I noticed the difference was is that a marathon used all the big muscles you’d expect to use.  The ultra used a bunch of muscles I didn’t know were sore the day before.

RP: I can attest to utter stupidity of running the day after a marathon, and the fact that it surprisingly helps getting into easy runs too quickly. I'm curious to find out if I'll be able to keep up the streak after my 40-miler. Kudos for that!

Last race: Community 5K, March 2nd. Speed test run with 2 walk breaks. Went pretty well.  

dktrotter

Dorothea

Time of day: 98% AM / 1% PM / 1% both

Looking ahead to 2023, I've got a few HMs to start the year and am then planning to tackle a trail run series through winter when there aren't that many other races on.  I've really enjoyed doing some LR's out in the forest and I'm looking forward to a different challenge.  2023 is likely to be a busy year on the work and family front so it'll just be a case of trying to get a good rhythm going training-wise and take the race opportunities when they arise.  The goals will probably end up being a lot more process-oriented than outcome-oriented, I think.

Mark, that's pretty solid evidence that you're a morning runner :-) I don't understand what the "1% both" stands for though.

Also, what you're describing for 2023 sounds a lot what I did for this year, and I was pretty happy with the results for the shorter distances.

Nice job on the streak, I can't fathom running the day after a marathon

+1. I am an every-day runner, so if I stay healthy I build up streaks. But they’re broken twice a year by marathons. If longer streaks were important to me, maybe I could shuffle through a short one. But they’re not, and I’m happy to give myself at least a few days. My PB streak was 250 days, in 2020 when there were no marathons to run. That one was only broken by smoke.

Dave

Mark, that's pretty solid evidence that you're a morning runner :-) I don't understand what the "1% both" stands for though.

I assume doubles.

Dave

marathon run in 71F-85F with 68 dew point

Fuck. That. Shit.

Dave

flavio80

Intl. correspondent

Mark - Ugh, your year looks a lot like my 2019. I lost 40 days of training that year to colds.
                            Eventually I went to visit an otorhino and she got me started on marine water nasal jets.
                            It's been a game changer ever since. It seems my allergies are acting up more and more the last 4 or 5 years.
                            It does not help that Bologna and here in Porto have such high level of pollution.
                            Anyway, here's to a healthier year for you!

Mmerk - That was a great year.

RP - LOL at your attempt at ranting. Also LOL at your rant about the city plan and the streets that were never built.My citystrides heat map is almost ready and I'm quite impressed to see just how many streets I have run.
                            Also, it seems working with Jeeps makes you happy, so I guess do more of that in the next year.

JoshWolf - The supreme commander of the thread can do as they please 😂 didn't you know that? Stick around, post more, we'd love to follow your running.

DK/Jmac/Mikkey - I care a lot about placing. I have only ever won one race. It was the day before the city's marathon. It was also part of a series, so there was no podium afterwards.

I would really love to win a race again.

Regrettably every single race around here requires a sub 30 minutes time to win a 10k, even the stupid fun races. There aren't as many races though due to being a small town of 200k people. I guess if I lived in a big city there would eventually be some charity run that would be winnable with my pedestrian sub 18 5k time.

PRs: 1500 4:54.1 2019 - 5K 17:53 2023 - 10K 37:55 2023 - HM 1:21:59 2021

Up next: no idea

Tool to generate Strava weekly

dktrotter

Dorothea

DK/Jmac/Mikkey - I care a lot about placing. I have only ever won one race. It was the day before the city's marathon. It was also part of a series, so there was no podium afterwards.

I would really love to win a race again.

Regrettably every single race around here requires a sub 30 minutes time to win a 10k, even the stupid fun races. There aren't as many races though due to being a small town of 200k people. I guess if I lived in a big city there would eventually be some charity run that would be winnable with my pedestrian sub 18 5k time.

Flavio, what you're saying raises a good point. I probably care less about placing because I know that I'm not competing against strong runners a lot of the time. Probably if I placed in a Berlin SCC event (the SCC club is the one that puts on all the main events like the Berlin Marathon), or like Mikkey said, Boston, I would care a lot more.

dktrotter

Dorothea

I assume doubles.

ah, Dave, that makes sense. thanks. Also thanks for help with my question the other day too.