2022 Advanced Racing Thread (Read 497 times)

I’d certainly pick a faster time over higher placing, but placing is fun. I’ll never be anywhere in bigger races, or in OA placing regardless of race size, but I can be AG-competitive in small/medium local races. It’s an automatic for me when picking races, to look at last year’s results and see where I would’ve placed in my AG. I suspect some of you do the same? Doesn’t necessarily influence my race selection, but it’s nice going into the race to know whether I have a shot at AG placing. Regardless of whether they actually give awards for it, which seems like fewer & fewer races bother to anymore.

Dave

Running Problem

Problem Child

RP - honestly your #8 might be the most productive thing anyone on this thread has managed this year.

I think CommanderKeen FINALLY running to his full potential beyond 13.1 miles TRUMPS it by a lot. About 2 seconds worth. 

Many of us aren't sure what the hell point you are trying to make and no matter how we guess, it always seems to be something else. Which usually means a person is doing it on purpose.

VDOT 53.37 

5k18:xx | Marathon 2:55:22

Running Problem

Problem Child

RP: I can attest to utter stupidity of running the day after a marathon, and the fact that it surprisingly helps getting into easy runs too quickly. I'm curious to find out if I'll be able to keep up the streak after my 40-miler. Kudos for that!

It’s the same, but different.  It takes the same

mental fortitude. Since my ultra was probably 40-50% hiking (maybe less) it might explain the different muscles being used and hurting.  I regret hearing ‘it’s much easier to recover from an ultra than a hard road Marathon’ because I proved to myself it is true IF you train equally. My training was 50 mile weeks running my zip code.  A few dedicated hill runs because I fear hills destroying me because my deficiency in ultras is hiking/climbing big mountains. 

I guess the upside is after the ultra you can set another goal. Just make sure NOT to race the marathon. You will PROBABLY be in sub-3:30 shape. I still remember going after a sub-3:30 (bellow old RWOL mates) and have a lot of experience from this, RWOL I CLUDED, forum for my success and advancement.

Many of us aren't sure what the hell point you are trying to make and no matter how we guess, it always seems to be something else. Which usually means a person is doing it on purpose.

VDOT 53.37 

Running Problem

Problem Child

+1. I am an every-day runner, so if I stay healthy I build up streaks. But they’re broken twice a year by marathons. If longer streaks were important to me, maybe I could shuffle through a short one. But they’re not, and I’m happy to give myself at least a few days. My PB streak was 250 days, in 2020 when there were no marathons to run. That one was only broken by smoke.

Yup. Fuck smoke. 

https://strava.app.link/Gwdf3bk8Xvb

Stupid ass streak. I wasn’t about to let some lung damage end my 8-9 months of work.

edit: I guess this could be a 9, or maybe an a) to my streak. Ram in air quality above 400. More than once.  I’m really good at making bad decisions. It comes naturally.

VDOT 53.37 

SteveChCh

Hot Weather Complainer

I assume doubles.

Each run would still be one or the other though. Maybe it’s a run that started in the morning and finished in the afternoon?

5km: 18:34 11/23 │ 10km: 39:10 8/23 │ HM: 1:26:48 9/23 │ M: 3:34:49 6/23

2024 Races:

Motorway Half Marathon February 25, 2024 1:29:55

Christchurch Half-Marathon April 21, 2024

Selwyn Marathon June 2, 2024

Dunedin Half Marathon September 15, 2024

Yup. Fuck smoke. 

https://strava.app.link/Gwdf3bk8Xvb

Stupid ass streak. I wasn’t about to let some lung damage end my 8-9 months of work.

edit: I guess this could be a 9, or maybe an a) to my streak. Ram in air quality above 400. More than once.  I’m really good at making bad decisions. It comes naturally.

To each their own on this front. However I sometimes feel like I need to explain it to those who don't have to deal with it, because it can sound like you just don't have the toughness to push through it. But it's basically like working with asbestos. You spend enough time in high enough AQI and you can do permanent lung damage. I have asthma too, so one more reason not to risk it.

Dave

Mikkey

Mmmm Bop

DK/Jmac/Mikkey - I care a lot about placing. I have only ever won one race. It was the day before the city's marathon. It was also part of a series, so there was no podium afterwards.

I would really love to win a race again.

Regrettably every single race around here requires a sub 30 minutes time to win a 10k, even the stupid fun races. There aren't as many races though due to being a small town of 200k people. I guess if I lived in a big city there would eventually be some charity run that would be winnable with my pedestrian sub 18 5k time.

My 5k PR (Parkrun) I ended up in 2nd place overall out of 214 runners…but during the race I wasn’t thinking wow this is marvellous as I’m nearly in the lead…I was actually thinking that I’m surrounded by a bunch of lazy bastards who didn’t put in the training during the week. 

DK - I think the 10 year continuous improvement thing is if you’ve consistently trained for that amount of time. I’m not sure if it’s even true or not, but it always stuck in my head as an incentive to keep going as I didn’t start running until I was 42yo. 

5k - 17:53 (4/19)   10k - 37:53 (11/18)   Half - 1:23:18 (4/19)   Full - 2:50:43 (4/19)

Mikkey

Mmmm Bop

I think CommanderKeen FINALLY running to his full potential beyond 13.1 miles TRUMPS it by a lot. About 2 seconds worth. 

I think we agreed to keep politics out of this thread.

5k - 17:53 (4/19)   10k - 37:53 (11/18)   Half - 1:23:18 (4/19)   Full - 2:50:43 (4/19)

Pain is my friend

Year end review, with one result pending.

1- I ran my fastest 100 in Feb at the U.S 100 road championship in 14:58 and place 5th male.

2- 7 Weeks later ran a trail 100 miler and finished 4th. This was my 16th 100 miler.

3- Won the Mcckoy flats death race (backyard Ultra style) in 15 hours and 72 miles.

4- Ran a 2:58 marathon for my first road marathon in 10 years.

5- Ran every street in my city. About 1950 streets. Now working on 2 much smaller citys close to home.

6-  I have a 24 hour loop race at the end of the year. Running Across the Years 24.  Hoping to run a new PR by at least 10 miles. Hope to qualify for the U.S. 24 team.

7- This has been one of my lowest years for Krashes. It has to do with all the road I am running and not as much trail running.

8- On track to run my most mile in a year.  3,361 miles would be a PR.

9- Ran 3 marathons in 8 days. All under a 3:33.

ATY 24   141.445 2019 1st

Bear 100 22:08 2021 

Jackpot 100 Feb 14:59 - 5th

St George marathon Oct 2:58

ATY 24 130.969 2022 2nd

Pulse endurance 12 hour 76.22 1ST CR

July Backyard ultra 22 yards Win

Sept Bear 100 24:08

Marky_Mark_17

My 5k PR (Parkrun) I ended up in 2nd place overall out of 214 runners…but during the race I wasn’t thinking wow this is marvellous as I’m nearly in the lead…I was actually thinking that I’m surrounded by a bunch of lazy bastards who didn’t put in the training during the week. 

Parkrun isn't really a race though is it?  It's a weekly free event aimed at getting people participating.  No-one cares who wins.  People get more excited about someone doing their 25th or 50th parkrun or volunteer effort.  It often gets used as a TT given the distance, but I don't know anyone that actually considers it to be a race.

3,000m: 9:07.7 (Nov-21) | 5,000m: 15:39 (Dec-19) | 10,000m: 32:34 (Mar-20)  

10km: 33:15 (Sep-19) | HM: 1:09:41 (May-21)* | FM: 2:41:41 (Oct-20)

* Net downhill course

Last race: Maraetai HM, 10 Mar, DNF

Up next: Waterfront HM, 7 Apr

"CONSISTENCY IS KING"

Marky_Mark_17

Each run would still be one or the other though. Maybe it’s a run that started in the morning and finished in the afternoon?

It was doubles that causes the "both" - Dave was right.  Those stats are off Smashrun.

Although now I am intrigued to see how it counts a run that starts in the morning and finishes in the afternoon.

* Net downhill course

"CONSISTENCY IS KING"

Mikkey

Mmmm Bop

Parkrun isn't really a race though is it?  It's a weekly free event aimed at getting people participating.  No-one cares who wins.  People get more excited about someone doing their 25th or 50th parkrun or volunteer effort.  It often gets used as a TT given the distance, but I don't know anyone that actually considers it to be a race.

You didn’t really get what I was saying…and I have no desire to explain it to you as your sense of humour is limited to say the least.

Marky_Mark_17

You didn’t really get what I was saying…and I have no desire to explain it to you as your sense of humour is limited to say the least.

Maybe it just wasn’t funny? Anyway I see you’ve resorted to your usual approach when challenged which is just to fire off an insult.

edit: I just noticed you restarted a thread from 9 months ago where you trolled someone for organising a charity 5k… pretty sure it’s not my sense of humour that’s the problem.

* Net downhill course

"CONSISTENCY IS KING"

JMac11

RIP Milkman

Maybe it just wasn’t funny? Anyway I see you’ve resorted to your usual approach when challenged which is just to fire off an insult.

You are equal to Mikkey in insults lately. This whole latest back and forth started when I invited you to run this thread and instead of just saying no thanks, took a cheap shot at Mikkey and Cal. Nobody had sad anything "mean" to your or trolled you or anything for months. But you continue to play this card that you're just in here to defend yourself and all you want is a decent discussion. No, you want to play in the muck too.

5K: 16:37 (11/20)  |  10K: 34:49 (10/19)  |  HM: 1:14:57 (5/22)  |  FM: 2:36:31 (12/19) 

Fishyone

Year end review, with one result pending.

1- I ran my fastest 100 in Feb at the U.S 100 road championship in 14:58 and place 5th male.

2- 7 Weeks later ran a trail 100 miler and finished 4th. This was my 16th 100 miler.

3- Won the Mcckoy flats death race (backyard Ultra style) in 15 hours and 72 miles.

4- Ran a 2:58 marathon for my first road marathon in 10 years.

5- Ran every street in my city. About 1950 streets. Now working on 2 much smaller citys close to home.

6-  I have a 24 hour loop race at the end of the year. Running Across the Years 24.  Hoping to run a new PR by at least 10 miles. Hope to qualify for the U.S. 24 team.

7- This has been one of my lowest years for Krashes. It has to do with all the road I am running and not as much trail running.

8- On track to run my most mile in a year.  3,361 miles would be a PR.

9- Ran 3 marathons in 8 days. All under a 3:33.

Now that's a year! Well done KRASH. 

5K 18:36 (2023), 10K 39:40 (2022), 1/2 1:24:37 (2023), full 2:58:36 (2015)