2022 Advanced Racing Thread (Read 497 times)

Like I say, a lot of folks do use it as a TT.  I just never really thought of it as a race given how it's pitched and the fact it's free.  

Marky - re: parkruns. I hope I can consider it a race - it's my PR! Seriously though, IMHO it fully qualifies. To me, these things make a race.

1. Defined, measured course (they're more accurate than most 5k's I've done, incidentally)
    2. Everyone starts together (as distinct from "virtual" races)
    3. Finish times are taken & recorded (uploaded to their website and permanently maintained there)

I don't think being free disqualifies it, and whether or not participants take it seriously is not their responsibility. I've only done a few, but there are always a handful of fast (by my definition), serious racers. Yes the vast majority of folks are just going for an easy jog, but that's pretty much the case with nearly all races. These are just smaller in scale. You are certainly in a different league of racing than me though; you'd probably win every time you showed up, and it would be boring.

Dave

Fishyone

Marky - re: parkruns. I hope I can consider it a race - it's my PR! Seriously though, IMHO it fully qualifies. To me, these things make a race.

1. Defined, measured course (they're more accurate than most 5k's I've done, incidentally)
      2. Everyone starts together (as distinct from "virtual" races)
      3. Finish times are taken & recorded (uploaded to their website and permanently maintained there)

I don't think being free disqualifies it, and whether or not participants take it seriously is not their responsibility. I've only done a few, but there are always a handful of fast (by my definition), serious racers. Yes the vast majority of folks are just going for an easy jog, but that's pretty much the case with nearly all races. These are just smaller in scale. You are certainly in a different league of racing than me though; you'd probably win every time you showed up, and it would be boring.

Agreed.  Spot on.  I don't think cost or effort of the other participants mean anything as long as it's measured and properly timed and recorded.

By the way I hate the staggered starts.  It is the thing that bugs me the most about Boston.  I think I've started in wave 2 twice and HATED starting later than wave one.  I don't mind the walk/jog to the start in huge races but I can't stand having a different defined sarting time.

5K 18:36 (2023), 10K 39:40 (2022), 1/2 1:24:37 (2023), full 2:58:36 (2015) 

Marky_Mark_17

Agreed.  Spot on.  I don't think cost or effort of the other participants mean anything as long as it's measured and properly timed and recorded.

Oh it definitely constitutes a PR for sure. I’ve just never really thought of it as a race, more like a group TT of sorts. Maybe that was just me and a few of my club mates being running snobs lol. I’ll defer to the majority view on this (which seems to be that it is a race).

3,000m: 9:07.7 (Nov-21) | 5,000m: 15:39 (Dec-19) | 10,000m: 32:34 (Mar-20)  

10km: 33:15 (Sep-19) | HM: 1:09:41 (May-21)* | FM: 2:41:41 (Oct-20)

* Net downhill course

Last race: Waterfront HM, 7 Apr, 1:15:48

Up next: Runway5, 4 May

"CONSISTENCY IS KING"

Running Problem

Problem Child

I think we agreed to keep politics out of this thread.

Thankfully the word existed as a verb before people’s feelings were so hurt by the noun. 
          https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/trump

edit: it is comparable to the term ‘bonk’ in Kiwi.

JMac dude, just let it go.

Many of us aren't sure what the hell point you are trying to make and no matter how we guess, it always seems to be something else. Which usually means a person is doing it on purpose.

VDOT 53.37 

5k18:xx | Marathon 2:55:22

Running Problem

Problem Child

Year end review, with one result pending.

1- I ran my fastest 100 in Feb at the U.S 100 road championship in 14:58 and place 5th male.

2- 7 Weeks later ran a trail 100 miler and finished 4th. This was my 16th 100 miler.

3- Won the Mcckoy flats death race (backyard Ultra style) in 15 hours and 72 miles.

4- Ran a 2:58 marathon for my first road marathon in 10 years.

5- Ran every street in my city. About 1950 streets. Now working on 2 much smaller citys close to home.

6-  I have a 24 hour loop race at the end of the year. Running Across the Years 24.  Hoping to run a new PR by at least 10 miles. Hope to qualify for the U.S. 24 team.

7- This has been one of my lowest years for Krashes. It has to do with all the road I am running and not as much trail running.

8- On track to run my most mile in a year.  3,361 miles would be a PR.

9- Ran 3 marathons in 8 days. All under a 3:33.

Constantly impressed by your abilities.  Did you ever do some kind of college level sports?

Many of us aren't sure what the hell point you are trying to make and no matter how we guess, it always seems to be something else. Which usually means a person is doing it on purpose.

VDOT 53.37 

Mikkey

Mmmm Bop

Hmm, I agree that Park Run isn’t a ‘race’ as such, but I’m considering it to be a race next weekend since I’ve never done a 5km race. The one I’m doing only has about 5 or so sub 20 out of 90 odd people. I want to do that one instead of Hagley which usually has sub 16s but always measures 4.9km on Strava. I really want to avoid that issue…

Why would anyone not want to run a free Parkrun because it’s not a “real race”.

In the UK the Parkruns are legit distance which is why I like them.

5k - 17:53 (4/19)   10k - 37:53 (11/18)   Half - 1:23:18 (4/19)   Full - 2:50:43 (4/19)

Mikkey

Mmmm Bop

See below, you did take a dig at Cal who isn't even around anymore! And again you keep misreading my posts that I'm saying anything about myself being better than you. I'm saying you continue to act above the trolling and insults when you do the same thing, unprovoked, even if you believe it's a lesser degree (the dog post brings that into question)

You continue to say this merged thread is a failure, you continue to post in the other thread about how much better that thread is than this one, and you call this the marathon thread but don't plan on running one. You used to say you only popped in here to defend yourself, and I will give you that. But that's not the case anymore. I'm frankly not sure why you do post here then unless you actually do enjoy this.

LOL, I must’ve missed that post about him hoping that I disappear in a sulk!  Absolutely no surprise that he would say something like that.

5k - 17:53 (4/19)   10k - 37:53 (11/18)   Half - 1:23:18 (4/19)   Full - 2:50:43 (4/19)

flavio80

Intl. correspondent

DK - Yeah, I get that idea, placing is not the same if you didn't have to fight for it.

Mark - Parkruns are absolutely a race. Like Dave said, the vast majority of people running races don't go there to compete. That's why there's a band or DJ, there's a lot of decoration, there are race t-shirts, participation medals, an expo where you get your race kit etc. No competitive person cares about any of that, all of that is for the regular non-obsessed with running folks.

In fact, back in Italy in 2020 just before you-know-what, I was looking up park run results to see if I were competitive in any of them, and I had my sights et on one in Rimini cause I had a chance of maybe win it.

Also, remember when I mentioned that I stopped reading the news because it was being damaging to my state of mind?
                  I find that perhaps avoiding this thread could be beneficial to you.
                  I don't mean that as a lecture, or in a condescending or as a means to say I have the moral ground or anything like that.
                  It's just that you seem to have a clash of personalities with some people here and the more you participate the more irritated you will be.

We are not mods, so unless you convince the site admin to boot Mikkey, Cal, Jmac, etc from here, the thread will remain like this.
                  I find Mikkey hilarious, I loved his joke about the word "trumps" being politics. I like that kind of juvenile humor, I make those kinds of jokes all the time, Sasha Baron Cohen's movies are amongst my favourites.

I remember a time when me and Piwi would play a game of making crude, juvenile jokes to summon Darkwave over to the other thread.
                  I hope we can still meet for a coffee when I set my feet in Auckland and we can chat about life, running and how miss 5? is doing at school 🍻

RP - I've signed up for city strides and I can easily see how addictive it is.

There are apparently 465 streets in what it considers to be my "city" and I have run 255 of them. So much work to do 😎

me - My wife has had a nasty cold this whole week, I have so far somehow survived and been able to train regularly.

Next Monday we're going to Madeira Island for a few days. This is a Portuguese territory on the Atlantic, about 2 hours flight from here, much more to the south than continental Portugal. It should be interesting.

PRs: 1500 4:54.1 2019 - 5K 17:53 2023 - 10K 37:55 2023 - HM 1:21:59 2021

Up next: some 800m race (or time trials) / Also place in the top 20% in a trail race

Tool to generate Strava weekly

Running Problem

Problem Child

Flavio you can cycle time, walk them, or run them since it’s all data from Strava.  When I go,d my buddy someone could cycle them it hit him like a bag of bricks as if he’d never considered cycling it, and the realization we could get our asses handed to us after months of work had just entered his reality. He quickly said he was going to run it all and I agreed.

the annoying part will be when a “street” doesn’t actually exist in the real world, but someone submitted some plans for a development so it’s officially recorded somewhere. Also, a few of the entrances to gated communities count as a street. You’ll figure out how citystrides works. It can be kind of fun, and annoying at the same time. Like the time I ran an 18 miler because I had a bad day at work, and city strides tells me I missed a street blocked by a locked gate. 

park runs aren’t a thing here, or I don’t know how to find them. I just go run hard and mentally enter race mode. Closest I came to one was an organized covid 19 5k when everyone was supposed to stay home, a race ‘went virtual’ and someone posted an event gathering.  It was so glorious to stick it to the man.

VDOT 53.37 

JMac11

RIP Milkman

Flavio - we really need Piwi back. He posts the most important news, like when a man's junk is falling out of his shorts at the end of a race.

The only thing I know about Madeira is that the landing there is considered one of the hardest due to the winds and geography of the terrain. Let us know how the landing goes and whether you kept everything down 

Park Runs - as long as the course is appropriately measured, who cares if it's a time trial, a park run, or a major marathon? I actually think it's more impressive to run a really good time at a park run because you have to go to the mental well like a time trial. The only thing I would really hate is if some guy brags about winning it afterwards. I've said this before but nothing grinds my gears after a race when a guy I was running against in a race makes sure to tell me that he was only tempoing it, just so you know how superior he is to you in that he wasn't really trying.

Dave - the age grading thing is interesting. I definitely look up previous race results to see if I want to run it, but it may be the opposite, i.e. I want to make sure there are people who are faster than me who are going to run it. If I see a 5K was won in 19:XX, I will not run it, because having people around me pushes me.

Fishy - there's one solution to your problem: get faster 

5K: 16:37 (11/20)  |  10K: 34:49 (10/19)  |  HM: 1:14:57 (5/22)  |  FM: 2:36:31 (12/19) 

SteveChCh

Hot Weather Complainer

Park Runs - as long as the course is appropriately measured, who cares if it's a time trial, a park run, or a major marathon? I actually think it's more impressive to run a really good time at a park run because you have to go to the mental well like a time trial. The only thing I would really hate is if some guy brags about winning it afterwards. I've said this before but nothing grinds my gears after a race when a guy I was running against in a race makes sure to tell me that he was only tempoing it, just so you know how superior he is to you in that he wasn't really trying.

This.  A few years ago my mate Dave (who Mark and piwi will know of) came second in the Wellington marathon in what was a 2 horse race until the last 10 mins when the winner pulled away.  Dave made a gracious post on Strava, while the winner said it "was just a training run, plenty left in the tank".  Just didn't seem necessary.

If I won a Park Run, I might enjoy the thrill of feeling like the fast people do but if you catch me bragging, please shoot me.  There are only 3 Park Runs around Christchurch, one of which has an absurdly strong field while the other 2 generally get 5-10 fast people so it's unlikely I'll be winning one any time soon.

RP - https://www.parkrun.us/events/#geo=3.51/38.9/-96.41 It doesn't look like there's any in Nevada or that it's really taken off in the US generally.  I guess you've got so many other races.

5km: 18:34 11/23 │ 10km: 39:10 8/23 │ HM: 1:26:48 9/23 │ M: 3:34:49 6/23

2024 Races:

Motorway Half Marathon February 25, 2024 1:29:55

Christchurch Half-Marathon April 21, 2024

Selwyn Marathon June 2, 2024

Dunedin Half Marathon September 15, 2024

If I ever won a parkrun, you would absolutely fucking hear about it, lol. I mean, it goes without saying that it would mean there were no fast people there, but I imagine it would still be a pretty cool feeling.

Dave

JMac11

RIP Milkman

I think there's a distinction here Dave. If you won a parkrun, you tell your family you won, your fake family (us), and feel good about it. But I am against showboating to your competitors, like the example Steve gave. For example, I came in 3rd I think in a 5K a year ago. The winner after I congratulated him, literally said "oh yeah, I just ran a 2:41 at X marathon a few weeks ago (can't remember which Florida one it was), so this one was still during recovery." I just said oh that's nice, and briskly walked away. I didn't say "oh yeah, I've run a 2:36, I hope you do better next time. I'm also coming off injury too."

I won a race last year as well that was just one of my rust busters, a 5 miler. Some person came up to me and congratulated me on such a fast time. I didn't immediately respond with "oh yeah, this was just a rust buster, this time wasn't actually that good." I've run half marathons at marathon pace and placed top 3. I still thank everyone around me who congratulates me and would never say to them it was just at MP.

5K: 16:37 (11/20)  |  10K: 34:49 (10/19)  |  HM: 1:14:57 (5/22)  |  FM: 2:36:31 (12/19) 

I am against showboating to your competitors, like the example Steve gave. 

No argument there, although it’s a conversation that can be had in context. Regardless of what level you’re at, it’s fun to have local competitors at the same level—people you might not otherwise know well, but when you spot them at the starting line, you know it’s on. I’d hate to walk away thinking a guy is one of them, and it turns out he was not really racing.

Dave

Marky_Mark_17

This.  A few years ago my mate Dave (who Mark and piwi will know of) came second in the Wellington marathon in what was a 2 horse race until the last 10 mins when the winner pulled away.  Dave made a gracious post on Strava, while the winner said it "was just a training run, plenty left in the tank".  Just didn't seem necessary.

Yeah that comment adds nothing. It's disrespectful to both the organisers ("I won your race without really trying") and the competition.  Having had a mic thrust in my face a few times just as I've caught my breath, it's actually quite a tough thing to do well, partly because your brain really isn't in speech mode at that point.  You want to enjoy the moment but also not sound like you're bragging - particularly when you know it's going out over the PA!  Paying respect to the organisers and the competition is generally the number one thing.  I remember one time, I was leading and almost got run down in the last few km of a half by a clubmate, I think the final margin was only 10-20 seconds or something.  I think I might even have said "I was shitting myself that Brad was gonna run me down at the end there" or something to that effect.

I won a race last year as well that was just one of my rust busters, a 5 miler. Some person came up to me and congratulated me on such a fast time. I didn't immediately respond with "oh yeah, this was just a rust buster, this time wasn't actually that good." I've run half marathons at marathon pace and placed top 3. I still thank everyone around me who congratulates me and would never say to them it was just at MP.

This is arguably the toughest situation - when someone congratulates you on a performance where either it wasn't maximum effort or you weren't happy with the result.  Like your 2:56 is still mind-blowing for a 3:30 marathoner.  You've always gotta be gracious but in the latter case I'll often be honest and say "thanks, felt like pretty hard work out there today", or even "thanks, I was hoping to be a bit quicker but I guess it just wasn't my day".  The one thing you absolutely never say is that your time was terrible because then you're basically telling everyone slower than you that they're terrible, if they happen to ask.

3,000m: 9:07.7 (Nov-21) | 5,000m: 15:39 (Dec-19) | 10,000m: 32:34 (Mar-20)  

10km: 33:15 (Sep-19) | HM: 1:09:41 (May-21)* | FM: 2:41:41 (Oct-20)

* Net downhill course

Last race: Waterfront HM, 7 Apr, 1:15:48

Up next: Runway5, 4 May

"CONSISTENCY IS KING"