2022 Advanced Racing Thread (Read 497 times)

Marky_Mark_17

LOL, I must’ve missed that post about him hoping that I disappear in a sulk!  Absolutely no surprise that he would say something like that.

Not actually what I said, though.

Also, remember when I mentioned that I stopped reading the news because it was being damaging to my state of mind?
    I find that perhaps avoiding this thread could be beneficial to you.
    I don't mean that as a lecture, or in a condescending or as a means to say I have the moral ground or anything like that.
    It's just that you seem to have a clash of personalities with some people here and the more you participate the more irritated you will be.

Thanks, but I'm a big boy. If I didn't want to be here, I wouldn't be.  The discussion never really irritates me per se, and on balance the running-related discussions are a bigger plus than the pointless bickering is a minus - and the latter is really only down to a small minority of posters anyway.  I did pretty much switch off Twitter because it's a comically pointless echo chamber but it's been mildly amusing to see a bunch of people complaining about Musk being in charge while still continuing to use the platform just as much, if not more.

3,000m: 9:07.7 (Nov-21) | 5,000m: 15:39 (Dec-19) | 10,000m: 32:34 (Mar-20)  

10km: 33:15 (Sep-19) | HM: 1:09:41 (May-21)* | FM: 2:41:41 (Oct-20)

* Net downhill course

Last race: Maraetai HM, 10 Mar, DNF

Up next: Waterfront HM, 7 Apr

"CONSISTENCY IS KING"

ccoakley

The one thing you absolutely never say is that your time was terrible because then you're basically telling everyone slower than you that they're terrible, if they happen to ask.

have always hated those people in marathons that wear shirts that say 'Super slow because I ran x marathon x weeks ago'

5k 24:53 (2020) |10k 52:24 (2021) |HM 1:57:14 (2019) |FM 4:24 (2007) |50k 5:57 (2022)

Marky_Mark_17

have always hated those people in marathons that wear shirts that say 'Super slow because I ran x marathon x weeks ago'

I have never seen one of those shirts and I don't think I want to!

* Net downhill course

"CONSISTENCY IS KING"

The one thing you absolutely never say is that your time was terrible because then you're basically telling everyone slower than you that they're terrible, if they happen to ask.

I have never seen this! People actually have shirts printed up saying this? 

Anyway I don’t necessarily agree with the statement in italics. For a 2:45 marathoner, a 3:00 finish is terrible, and he’s going to be very unhappy with it. If I’m talking to him afterwards, he shouldn’t have to pretend otherwise to spare my feelings. I would not be the tiniest bit insulted. We all realize that people are at different levels. It’s still a shared experience—regardless of finish time, anyone can have a great day or a terrible day, and we all go through the same kind of physical and mental challenges,

Dave

Marky_Mark_17

Anyway I don’t necessarily agree with the statement in italics. For a 2:45 marathoner, a 3:00 finish is terrible, and he’s going to be very unhappy with it. If I’m talking to him afterwards, he shouldn’t have to pretend otherwise to spare my feelings. I would not be the tiniest bit insulted. We all realize that people are at different levels. It’s still a shared experience—regardless of finish time, anyone can have a great day or a terrible day, and we all go through the same kind of physical and mental challenges,

I see your point and 100% agree on the shared experience theme.  I just have this recollection of talking to a runner after a HM a few years back, complimenting him on the win and his time (which I think was a CR for the next 5 years or so!), I think he was around 1:14 or so.  He said he didn't have a great day and his time was shit and I remember thinking the former was possibly a better way to express it than the latter.  IDK, maybe it was more the way he said it than anything else.

* Net downhill course

"CONSISTENCY IS KING"

ccoakley

I can't believe you haven't seen them although you guys are probably too fast for the *super slow* pace of these double marathoners   It's been several minutes since I raced but in my 10+ marathons I think I've seen at least one every race.

It usually looks like someone who ran in the 3-3:30 range in their 1st and is running 4-4:30 in their 2nd and is really just the ultimate asshole move cause what could possibly be worse than some stranger thinking you're a 4 hr+ marathoner?

5k 24:53 (2020) |10k 52:24 (2021) |HM 1:57:14 (2019) |FM 4:24 (2007) |50k 5:57 (2022)

Fishyone

Fishy - there's one solution to your problem: get faster 

JMac comes through with the last FRONT PAGE quote of the 2022 thread!!!  Unless our new commander lets us vote to let it become the first 2023....I think my vote if to put it on Page 1 next year so I can use it as motivation.

Unfortunately my 3:09 probably puts me into wave 2 I'll have console myself with the fact that my age graded performance will hopefully show that I'm faster than JMac

5K 18:36 (2023), 10K 39:40 (2022), 1/2 1:24:37 (2023), full 2:58:36 (2015) 

Jumping on the bandwagon.

2022 Year in Review

It was the best of years, it was the worst of years, but not in that order. The previous fall I had signed up for the spring Vancouver Marathon, via deferral from 2020 cancellation. However very early in the year on I had an extended bout of crippling back pain—could not even get out of a chair much less run. Managed to recover after about a month, then had a relapse. Recovered again (more quickly this time), then had COVID, which triggered my asthma and basically gave me a 3-week-long attack. Came out of that and 2 weeks prior to the race a sharp knee pain cropped up out of nowhere. Minimal running in those 2 weeks, the pain came with every run; went back & forth whether to drop back to the half or bail completely. I finally decided to run the marathon anyway, giving myself a 50/50 shot of DNF. My knee was already hurting from the walk to the start. Went out just at easy pace, and the knee pain mysteriously faded about halfway through. Finished at 3:53, my slowest since marathon #2, nine years ago. But on that day it felt like a victory.

The knee pain never came back. After recovering from the marathon, things started to finally feel good and come together. I ran a June half in 1:34:02 (17 sec off PR), a July 5k in 19:57 (4 sec off PR), and an August 10k in 41:30 for PR. Also ran on a competitive Hood to Coast Relay team in late August, which was a cool experience. Unfortunately my planned mid-Sept tuneup half coincided with the heaviest smoke day of the year, so I opted out. But then reached the pinnacle at the Chicago Marathon, running 3:17:48 for a 4.5 min PR with a 2 min negative split. What an amazing day, it’s going to be hard to ever top that. It was so supremely gratifying to take off that size chunk of time, after 10 years of marathoning and 17 races, and after only cutting 1.5 min off my PR in the previous 5 years.

2023: I plan to run the Eugene Marathon on 4/30. Goal is TBD, but if weather cooperates, I’m hoping for another PR shot. While training for that, I’d like to take a run at 5k and HM PRs—I think those are soft, based on coming so close earlier this year when I was just nowhere near peak fitness. I’ll plan a fall marathon too, yet to be decided.

Dave

Mikkey

Mmmm Bop

I won a race last year as well that was just one of my rust busters, a 5 miler. Some person came up to me and congratulated me on such a fast time. I didn't immediately respond with "oh yeah, this was just a rust buster, this time wasn't actually that good." I've run half marathons at marathon pace and placed top 3. I still thank everyone around me who congratulates me and would never say to them it was just at MP.

The only race I won was the track marathon and that was simply because no serious runner is going to think running 105 laps is a good idea and because only 60 runners showed up. The RD gave me a backhanded compliment by saying how well I did as I’m obviously no spring chicken. 

5k - 17:53 (4/19)   10k - 37:53 (11/18)   Half - 1:23:18 (4/19)   Full - 2:50:43 (4/19)

dktrotter

Dorothea

It’s the same, but different.  It takes the same mental fortitude. 

I guess the upside is after the ultra you can set another goal. Just make sure NOT to race the marathon. You will PROBABLY be in sub-3:30 shape. I still remember going after a sub-3:30 (bellow old RWOL mates) and have a lot of experience from this, RWOL I CLUDED, forum for my success and advancement.

RP: that's a dangerous thing you wrote there! If I am in sub 3:30 shape, and the weather is good, then it will be harder than ever not to race that marathon... knowing me,  I'll probably go after it, as it would be my last chance to qualify for Boston 2024. However, if conditions are poor or if I quickly realize it's not a PR day for me, then I'll happily use it as a supported training run, and then yeah, nothing gets in the way of the 40-miler.

I've seen RWOL mentioned before; it was another running forum, right?

Dave, I've made stupid choices before related to my streak, and probably also would have ricked going out in smoke, but I also don't have asthma. If I did, I def. would have ended the streak too. I had one that I kept for over a year, but I also ended up with an injury that took several months to heal because I kept running through plantar fasciitis pain, and that was just as stupid. I have to remind myself not to end up in that situation again... but like RP wrote, the only real hard part about a streak is ending it.

Qualifications: I like to run. In Florida. In the summer. At noon.  

Last race: Community 5K, March 2nd. Speed test run with 2 walk breaks. Went pretty well.  

dktrotter

Dorothea

The knee pain never came back. After recovering from the marathon, things started to finally feel good and come together. I ran a June half in 1:34:02 (17 sec off PR), a July 5k in 19:57 (4 sec off PR), and an August 10k in 41:30 for PR. Also ran on a competitive Hood to Coast Relay team in late August, which was a cool experience. Unfortunately my planned mid-Sept tuneup half coincided with the heaviest smoke day of the year, so I opted out. But then reached the pinnacle at the Chicago Marathon, running 3:17:48 for a 4.5 min PR with a 2 min negative split. What an amazing day, it’s going to be hard to ever top that. It was so supremely gratifying to take off that size chunk of time, after 10 years of marathoning and 17 races, and after only cutting 1.5 min off my PR in the previous 5 years.

The relay sounds like a lot of fun. I've always wanted to try one of those!

And congrats on the PR at Chicago. That's huge!

Last race: Community 5K, March 2nd. Speed test run with 2 walk breaks. Went pretty well.  

dktrotter

Dorothea

I see your point and 100% agree on the shared experience theme.  I just have this recollection of talking to a runner after a HM a few years back, complimenting him on the win and his time (which I think was a CR for the next 5 years or so!), I think he was around 1:14 or so.  He said he didn't have a great day and his time was shit and I remember thinking the former was possibly a better way to express it than the latter.  IDK, maybe it was more the way he said it than anything else.

I feel like this is part of Runners 101. There's no reason to make others feel bad about their times even if you feel that way about yours. I've stopped saying I ran a super slow training run, because my slow is someone else's fast, and I'm sure for most of you my fast is kind of slow.   :-)

Running Problem

Problem Child

Jmac have you ever considered the possibility of someone telling a lie about their run? They could tell you, after the run was completed and they’d had time to recover, it was a tempo when the truth is it was a sprint. Kudos to you for being a better winner. I find it annoying when people win things, or when they’re just so awesome they couldn’t conceive any other possible outcome.

Dk. Yeah Runners World On-Line. It’s where some of us made pretend internet family members. 
                            don’t forget what the goal is.  It’s either a PR marathon with a 40 miler ultra ‘fun run’ (the ultra should be in the quotations to make it sound better), or it’s a 26 mile supported long run. Going out for a PR, then pulling back might mess with your head the next time you go for the sub-3:30. 

it came to mind, on Wednesday, how far I’ve progressed.  I did an 18 mile long run at what was once goal marathon pace.  I cut it short because I kind of ran out of streets in the area, and I didn’t want to be some crazy guy who does marathons ona Wednesday because they had a bad day at work. I should have though.  ‘That time I just casually ran a marathon through your neighborhood. Self supported. Don’t hate me.’

Many of us aren't sure what the hell point you are trying to make and no matter how we guess, it always seems to be something else. Which usually means a person is doing it on purpose.

VDOT 53.37 

5k18:xx | Marathon 2:55:22

You big Dosser

I’m a lurker, but would just like to wish everyone on this thread a very Merry Christmas and I hope Santa has given you lots of nice presents. ❤️

flavio80

Intl. correspondent

RP - If you can see where that non existing street is, are you able to run through there ? Cause if you run those coordinates it would match I reckon.
                                As for the gated communities, I fully expect you to climb over the gate and run in there to "stick it to the man" 😂

Jmac - Or better yet, that race where the winner tits were falling out of her singlet.
                                As for the Madeira airport, thanks for that factoid. I'm still amused that the airport is officially called "Cristiano Ronaldo" 🤦‍♂️

Mark - Excellent, then I fully expect you to ignore whatever Mikkey or Jmac write that you find offending and focus on the good things.
                                In my experience social networks in general are a pool of toxic waste, at least in the open areas.
                                I've found ways to enjoy the good parts though. For instance I don't watch stories on Instagram, only posts.
                                I also ban anybody whoever posts anything remotely about politics. I managed to keep it very clean and only life updates from people, which is what I'm interested at.
                                On reddit, I've kept subscribed only to very few subreddits and none of the default ones.
                                On Facebook, I only log in once every couple of months, and I only participate in a group about my last name, which helps to track down the history of my forefathers.

Mikkey - funny enough, CJ Albertson holds the world record in a track marathon, I believe it was a 2h18.
                                In fact, he holds the world marathon record on an indoor track as well, which is 211 laps (https://www.letsrun.com/news/2019/04/cj-albertson-runs-21759-4-as-indoor-marathon-world-record-fall-for-4th-straight-year-at-armory/).

Also, hilarious cameo for your doggo 😁🐶

me - A very nice recovery week. Yesterday was a joyous run, I really felt like a kid bouncing up and down a short hill of grass, like there's no tomorrow. And today's long run also felt very good. I was feeling the glutes engaged throughout, not sure how I did it but somehow I found a way to make them work. Not sure this is long term, but I would hope so.

I've recently read two books which gave me some interesting pointers, one was "Older yet faster", by Keith Bateman and Heidi Jones, and the other one was "The Cool Impossible", by Eric Orton, famous coach of the born to run journalist author, Chris McDougall.

I'll tell you all about these new books next year, cause I doubt many will be reading this the next few days. I can say though I found some ground breaking information in these books.

Anyway my wife had a nasty cold during the week, she's now feeling better, and I managed to somehow avoid that cold and could train the whole week, and for that I'm thankful.

Happy holidays to you all 🥳

Weekly for period: From: 12/19/2022 To 12/25/2022

<caption>Weekly Grid</caption>
                                Date Name mi km Duration Avg/mi Avg/km Elevation Gain
                                in ft
                                12/20 70'E 8.64 13.90 01:10:01 08:06 05:02 276
                                12/21 2x (15'@6:38-6:55 w 3'E) avg 6:42/4:11 8.44 13.58 01:03:01 07:28 04:38 335
                                12/22 70'E 🌧️🌧️🌧️ 8.11 13.06 01:10:01 08:38 05:22 551
                                12/24 60'E 7.33 11.79 01:00:00 08:11 05:05 620
                                12/25 1h45 long run 13.56 21.82 01:44:59 07:45 04:49 551

Total distance: 46.09mi

PRs: 1500 4:54.1 2019 - 5K 17:53 2023 - 10K 37:55 2023 - HM 1:21:59 2021

Up next: no idea

Tool to generate Strava weekly