2022 Advanced Racing Thread (Read 497 times)

mmerkle

I like Steve at 19:29 for even money, maybe +130 for 18:59, -200 for 19:50.

darkwave

Mother of Cats

Elon Musk taking over Twitter is beautiful. 😁

I have an acquaintance who was a software engineer there.  He got hit by the first round of layoffs.   He can't talk about too much, but what he can talk about is crazy 

Platforms can usually run well without competent administration for a little bit, but it will be fascinating to see if/when Twitter completely crashes.

Everyone's gotta running blog; I'm the only one with a POOL-RUNNING blog.

And...if you want a running Instagram where all the pictures are of cats, I've got you covered.

Mikkey

Mmmm Bop

I have an acquaintance who was a software engineer there.  He got hit by the first round of layoffs.   He can't talk about too much, but what he can talk about is crazy 

Platforms can usually run well without competent administration for a little bit, but it will be fascinating to see if/when Twitter completely crashes.

The plot thickens. I’m on the edge of my seat!

5k - 17:53 (4/19)   10k - 37:53 (11/18)   Half - 1:23:18 (4/19)   Full - 2:50:43 (4/19)

Running Problem

Problem Child

*prays for Twitter to completely crash*

DK ABSOLUTELY I drove as part of my "run every street." The zip code is 75 square miles. A lot of the 74 square miles is not streets. The farthest street is 4.21 miles north, 5.66 miles SouthWest. 7.06 miles SouthEast (THAT one kinda sucked). I talked about it with a guy who ran his. He started from his house and quickly found out he needs to do a LOT of miles just to get 1 or 2 more miles of streets. If I started from home I'd have about 6 miles of repeated streets, or more, each run. Since I was working from home I would do it on lunch, and if things went long I'd start early, or stay late to get the full 40 hour week in. Some runs were short, and others I took a day off of work to get a street done. One neighborhood I had to run was  10 mile drive. Plus it is a 2 lane highway uphill pretty much the whole way. If I had a bike I might have hopped on the bike to get around to other neighborhoods. The weird fun part was looking at other zipcodes thinking "oh they have it easy. Everything is residential. You can park anywhere." but they have more miles, or some more hills, or narrow one way streets with no sidewalks. Since it was all easy running, I had no official deadline, and I didn't have any races it was pretty fun looking at the map and seeing spots fill in. It WASN'T fun getting back home and seeing I missed a street. At first I tried making routes using Garmin, but I realized Garmin only identifies the dots on the map. If you land on a dot it tells you "run that way" which doesn't work well when you're making lots of loops or out and back segments. Land on a dot too early and it cuts off a bunch of streets because it thought you already did them. The Fenix 6 my wife got me really helped. It has a map built in so I could reference it if I didn't want to keep my phone out the whole time I ran. Eventually you get good at looking through neighborhoods and knowing where you want to go. Sometimes it becomes hard to limit yourself to just a few miles becuase "I just want to get this area done" and you realize it's actually a big project to you.

What I WASN'T prepared for was the feeling when I'd finished. It felt so good, then so empty because I almost had no purpose to run since I wasn't working on anything anymore.

Many of us aren't sure what the hell point you are trying to make and no matter how we guess, it always seems to be something else. Which usually means a person is doing it on purpose.

VDOT 53.37 

5k18:xx | Marathon 2:55:22

JMac11

RIP Milkman

I like Steve at 19:29 for even money, maybe +130 for 18:59, -200 for 19:50.

This is what we need more of on this thread! People putting their money where their mouth is, paying out via Venmo.

5K: 16:37 (11/20)  |  10K: 34:49 (10/19)  |  HM: 1:14:57 (5/22)  |  FM: 2:36:31 (12/19) 

ch17

It's Tuesday every day

darkwave: badass week! Wishing you all the best in your runup to Houston. Also, you're right: for me, it's a do-whatever-seems-like-fun-being-sure-I-hit-Sunday-Jan-1-raring-to-go kind of week. 3.5 mi Sunday, absolutely nothing Mon-today (W), looking forward to a nice-weather jaunt tomorrow...

dktrotter: thanks! FWIW, I didn't hit a 3000 mi year until 2012, 24 years into my running life (started in 1988). You have plenty of time :-D

flavio: Thanks for the summary of the books. Had been thinking of buying them. Might follow up on the second one.

Happy running, everybody.

Running Problem

Problem Child

Why didn’t we ever have odds on CommanderKeen for marathons? Or me for that matter.   I’d TOTALLY bet against myself at CIM. ‘I’m probably in 3:01 shape at best’

i say this after a bad workout today. 4M (goal was 7, workout said 6) and my heart rate was 180 or higher for a lot of it.  Either I’m actually sick, depressed, tired, or I just needed to eat something other than breakfast for a 1:35pm hard workout.  I actually didn’t expect it to be this hard especially in 44F and 3-5 mph winds from some direction.

Many of us aren't sure what the hell point you are trying to make and no matter how we guess, it always seems to be something else. Which usually means a person is doing it on purpose.

VDOT 53.37 

mmerkle

RP Good point, I just randomly posted that as a joke because I'm in troll mode for the rest of the year on this thread lol. I do have some questions to discuss but I figured I might hold out until the 2023 thread starts.

Running Problem

Problem Child

RP Good point, I just randomly posted that as a joke because I'm in troll mode for the rest of the year on this thread lol. I do have some questions to discuss but I figured I might hold out until the 2023 thread starts.

I’m in troll mode almost all the time according to some people here. I should try and get back into marathon mode.  It’s hard.

ask the questions. It gives this thread something to talk about for another few days.

edit #2. I hit my annual mileage goal yesterday. I wish I could be happy but this has just been a hard 7 days.

VDOT 53.37 

mmerkle

RP Ok I'll fire one now. Why does Jack Daniels recommend a 24 week training plan for a marathon? Or perhaps the better question is Why don't we follow it?

It seems to be backed by data suggesting that maximum improvement from a given amount of stress happens after 6 weeks. This together with the idea that there should be four phases, or stress levels. These seem to be 1. base, 2. Transition/Prep for phase 3, 3. Phase 3 which involves the most quality work, then phase 4 which is backing off and maintenance more or less.

So the issue I'm having is, while the above makes logical sense on paper, it doesn't seem like most of us prefer a training block this long. Most of us feel that we go stale well before 24 weeks. What's this about? Have runners discovered that it's better to have shorter phases 2 and 3 which sort of overlap, so that 2 and 3 together total about 6 weeks? I'm honestly pretty confused here.

Also RP well done, what was the goal?

I guess my question would be: what does Jack Daniels know that all the others recommending 16-18 week cycles don’t? I assume the others have access to the same data, but are interpreting it differently. Or maybe it’s a practical matter—in developing plans for the general public, they know that no one wants a plan that long, and they can’t sell it. What do the elites do?

I don’t even bother with anything longer than 12 weeks, in terms of what is structured. Year round I try to maintain 50-60 mpw (vs. low-70s peak in training) with a little speed thrown in, so there’s always some level of base and not too dramatic a ramp-up.

Dave

CommanderKeen

Cobra Commander Keen

5k: 17:58 11/22 │ 10k: 37:55 9/21 │ HM: 1:23:22 4/22 │ M: 2:56:05 12/22

Upcoming Races:

Fishyone

Shit!! better get this up before everyone abandons the 2022.

2022 Year in review:

My goals were consistency, improvement and race more. Two out of three isn’t bad.

3,316 total miles

Races:

DATE       Race                                                       Time                                       Pace

1/1          Chilly Willy half marathon                 1:31:41                                  6:59

2/13       Boston prep 16 miler                          2:00:21                                  7:31

2/19       Marthas Vinyard 20 miler                  2:21:10                                  7:03

3/20       New Bedford Half                                1:29:53                                  6:51

4/18       Boston Marathon                                 3:20:08                                  7:38

9/5          Walpole 10K                                         42:54                                     6:54

11/19     Philadelphia Marathon                       3:09:19                                  7:13

12/4       Angel Run 5K                                        19:33                                     6:17

12/11     Chocolate Marshmallow 10K            39:40                                     6:22(PR)

Had a really nice training block before Boston and felt confident until a back issue popped up before the race then poor pacing and equipment malfunction led to a less than desirable result.  I sulked a bit over the spring and summer and jumped back into training at the end of August.  Had a really nice run in Philly followed by a mini speed-focused block.  Set a 10 K PR and hoping for a 5K PR to start the New Year.

See you on the 2023 “Competitive Jerks” thread--Scott

5K 18:36 (2023), 10K 39:40 (2022), 1/2 1:24:37 (2023), full 2:58:36 (2015) 

Running Problem

Problem Child

RP Ok I'll fire one now. Why does Jack Daniels recommend a 24 week training plan for a marathon? Or perhaps the better question is Why don't we follow it?

It seems to be backed by data suggesting that maximum improvement from a given amount of stress happens after 6 weeks. This together with the idea that there should be four phases, or stress levels. These seem to be 1. base, 2. Transition/Prep for phase 3, 3. Phase 3 which involves the most quality work, then phase 4 which is backing off and maintenance more or less.

So the issue I'm having is, while the above makes logical sense on paper, it doesn't seem like most of us prefer a training block this long. Most of us feel that we go stale well before 24 weeks. What's this about? Have runners discovered that it's better to have shorter phases 2 and 3 which sort of overlap, so that 2 and 3 together total about 6 weeks? I'm honestly pretty confused here.

Also RP well done, what was the goal?

The GOAL was to hit 7 miles at a 6:40-45/mi pace with a 2 mile warm up. MY stomach area didn't feel well at the start of the run, and just got worse. It became too hard to run fast, and I had no desire to switch it to a "run by feel" when I knew the workout I wanted to complete was 6:45/mi pace. At 185-200 beats per minute I knew I was smoked, and running a very hard feeling 7:45/mi pace wasn't the point of the workout.

As for the 24 or even 18 week plans. I believe I've hit the point where I can say they're for more beginner marathon runners who need that base building phase. After a year of 2,500 miles mostly easy running I'd say I have the aerobic base locked down. You could be in the same situation. The 24 week plan is just too long mentally, and 16 weeks is what you need. Don't knock it though. Go get some aerobic miles, and get the weekly mileage up now before you enter marathon training. Previously I'd cut back weekly miles to 20 after a race or "whatever I felt like" and the hardest part of training became the weekend long runs. Going from a 45 minute long run to a 90 minute long run felt so awful I never wanted to do it again, so I kept the 10+ mile (90 minute) long run as a constant in my training. If you're doing the same thing I'd say you don't need to do a 24 week plan. If you're like a friend of mine who dropped to 20 miles, and 7 miles was a weekend long run whenever he felt like it I'd say start base building now, and maybe consider doing some speed work while youre at it to get the mental side of running hard built up.

goal was 2,500 miles because with no road marathons on the schedule I was afraid I'd slip into old me, and cut back to 20-30 mile weeks of only easy running. This goal kept me around 45-50 mile weeks which I wanted as preparation for Boston.

VDOT 53.37 

SteveChCh

Hot Weather Complainer

Thanks CK. I think I’ll hang in here until my last race for the year. Last shake out done, excited to go fast tomorrow!

5km: 18:34 11/23 │ 10km: 39:10 8/23 │ HM: 1:26:48 9/23 │ M: 3:34:49 6/23

2024 Races:

Motorway Half Marathon February 25, 2024 1:29:55

Christchurch Half-Marathon April 21, 2024

Selwyn Marathon June 2, 2024

Dunedin Half Marathon September 15, 2024