2022 Advanced Racing Thread (Read 497 times)

Hoka carbon x and rockets are the firmest foam of all carbon shoes. They are rocks in the cold. I didn't use carbon x below 40. They don't have much grip either and very risky on any ice with the high stack height. I would stick to basic trainers. That is what I used today (new balance propel).

That certainly matches my assessment. I've not used them when it was this cold yet. I had no traction issues, but definitely felt the stiff foam. I'll have a pair of adizero pro's here tomorrow which hopefully will be better for fast stuff in the cold.

Next Races: Fools Run 10 mile (4/2/22), York Marathon (5/15/2214/23), Stupid Marathon TT (June 2022)

Marby

Ash

This thread moves nowhere near the pace the sub 1:30 thread does. Then again, at least 1/3 of the posts there are about cricket matches, NZ-specific issues,

Exceptional timing. Any thoughts on the NZ test team from any of our kiwi friends? Also, quite happy to discuss The Ashes with any of our UK friends 

Next: Ballarat, April 28, Pacing 3:50

Best: 5k 19:46 (Parkrun, 2016), 10k 40:37 (Track, 2022), Half 1:26:41 (2016), Full 3:00:23 (2021)

Marby

Ash

Hello advanced misfits.  I’m in the middle of a 3 week summer holiday but will be along for the ride when I rejon the 'real world'. I have nothing to contribute in terms of treadmill running or anything under freezing, there was one day in all of 2021 where I couldn’t have run outside if I wanted (dangerous wind). Better not dump cricket trash talk and run, so here’s a bio.

Name: Ash
        Life: Married with 3 kids (13,11,9)
        Running History:

I was an active kid but took a few detours in early adulthood. I ran my first marathon in 2011 at age 40 after starting to run a few years before that. I think I was about 37 when a mate and I started doing some indoor rock climbing. He got a shoulder injury and we decided to go for a run instead, while that recovered. Sometime after that there was a 10k and then a ‘Run for the kids’ 14k.  Once you’ve done 14k, naturally, next comes the half and…before you know it you are a marathon addict. The distance and having a goal work for my body and mind, I have lapsed though, as you’ll see from the stats…

year

mi/week

result

3:40

3:23

3:18

dns

3:02

3:06

3:59

4:27

3:58

dns

3:00

I’m back on track after a lean 2017-2020 and despite the fact that I’ll be age 51 when I next run a marathon, feel like I have the potential to PB by enough to get that long sought after sub 3 and maybe even a go a bit beyond.  Part of that belief comes from the example of contributors here, guys and gals who prove what is possible if you apply yourself regardless of age.

My latest marathon was only mid-December. I’ve had a good break since and indulged a lot over the holidays so far.  I’ve signed up for a track 10k on 29/1, don’t expect it to be awesome but need an interim focus to limit the damage. I have definitely done some of the last few weeks, did a parkrun last weekend in 20:07 and that was only slightly below VT pace (Vomit Threshold). Likely to have two marathons this year – Gold Coast on 3 July and Melbourne on 9 Oct.

Next: Ballarat, April 28, Pacing 3:50

Best: 5k 19:46 (Parkrun, 2016), 10k 40:37 (Track, 2022), Half 1:26:41 (2016), Full 3:00:23 (2021)

CommanderKeen

Cobra Commander Keen

JMac - I have another pair of old (saucony?) mittens that don't work quite as well as the salomons, which are usually a good bridge to the "light" gloves. I've never really liked the "flap" style gloves/mittens as I haven't noticed much of an effect. I did pick up some wind/waterproof Raidlight over mittens (just really oversized mittens to wear over other gloves/mittens) but haven't had the opportunity to try them out yet.
          Glad things are improving for you.

Did my first "workout" in a long time this morning, and it SUCKED. 5x 3 minutes medium/hard/easy. Naturally I was slower for all than I would have liked, but my "medium" and "hard" were essentially the same after the first rep or two. Oh, well. Hopefully this knocks some rust off and paves the way for things to come.

5k: 17:58 11/22 │ 10k: 37:55 9/21 │ HM: 1:23:22 4/22 │ M: 2:56:05 12/22

Upcoming Races:

OKC Memorial 5k - April 27

Bun Run 5k - May 4

SteveChCh

Hot Weather Complainer

My thoughts are we just produced the worst performance in our history. Thankfully that doesn’t take away our title as World Champions

Exceptional timing. Any thoughts on the NZ test team from any of our kiwi friends? Also, quite happy to discuss The Ashes with any of our UK friends 

5km: 18:34 11/23 │ 10km: 39:10 8/23 │ HM: 1:26:48 9/23 │ M: 3:34:49 6/23

2024 Races:

Motorway Half Marathon February 25, 2024 1:29:55

Christchurch Half-Marathon April 21, 2024

Selwyn Marathon June 2, 2024

Dunedin Half Marathon September 15, 2024

JMac11

RIP Milkman

Marby - welcome back! Your 3:00 last year was very impressive and I'm glad to see you will give it another go this year. I agree with your sentiments of this board. I used to think running 30 miles per week was all I needed until I saw what everyone here was doing. It's great motivation.

Keen - I'm not surprised you bombed that. Isn't that basically a VO2 max workout? If you haven't done a single real workout since maybe 10 days prior to CIM, I'm kind of surprised your coach would give you that workout. Unless the "medium" is more like LT pace, but there is no way I would attempt a VO2 max workout until I was at least 4-6 weeks into other workouts (e.g. 200/400 meter reps at mile pace and a few LT tempo runs under my belt)

5K: 16:37 (11/20)  |  10K: 34:49 (10/19)  |  HM: 1:14:57 (5/22)  |  FM: 2:36:31 (12/19) 

CommanderKeen

Cobra Commander Keen

JMac - The coach left it up to me to determine exactly how hard "medium" and "hard" were. I did aim for threshold/hour race effort for the "medium" portion. No need in really pushing things now, this was mostly just to get some rust off the wheels.

I'm sure the 400m (or time equivalent, likely) stuff is coming soon!

5k: 17:58 11/22 │ 10k: 37:55 9/21 │ HM: 1:23:22 4/22 │ M: 2:56:05 12/22

Upcoming Races:

OKC Memorial 5k - April 27

Bun Run 5k - May 4

CalBears

JMac - I just registered for Napa Valley marathon (got a scare email that they are almost sold out Wink - that is going to happen on 3/6. The goal is as usual - sub 3.

paces PRs - 5K - 5:48  /  10K - 6:05  /  HM - 6:14  /  FM - 6:26 per mile

HermosaBoy

Gonna run my first 3k ever this weekend. Should be UGLY!!!

And you can quote me as saying I was mis-quoted. Groucho Marx

Rob

darkwave

Mother of Cats

Just run it like a badly paced 5K, then drop out at the 3K mark.

Everyone's gotta running blog; I'm the only one with a POOL-RUNNING blog.

And...if you want a running Instagram where all the pictures are of cats, I've got you covered.

7:20.67 is your time to beat Rob; Komen's world record has stood long enough. Good luck!

2:52:16 (2018)

HermosaBoy

Just run it like a badly paced 5K, then drop out at the 3K mark.

Seems like a good strategy!

7:20.67 is your time to beat Rob; Komen's world record has stood long enough. Good luck!

Let's see -- at that point I should have 4 laps to go?

And you can quote me as saying I was mis-quoted. Groucho Marx

Rob

JMac11

RIP Milkman

JMac - I just registered for Napa Valley marathon (got a scare email that they are almost sold out Wink - that is going to happen on 3/6. The goal is as usual - sub 3.

Please tell me you are cancelling Oakland and not trying the two marathons in three weeks special again!

DW - did you see my post about Takumi Sens? just want to get your thoughts.

5K: 16:37 (11/20)  |  10K: 34:49 (10/19)  |  HM: 1:14:57 (5/22)  |  FM: 2:36:31 (12/19) 

CalBears

Please tell me you are cancelling Oakland and not trying the two marathons in three weeks special again!

Nah... Both marathons are kind of local for me, both are not goal races, if I get sub 3 in any of them, I will be very happy, but I will just just try to run both without straining my mind, it should be ok. If I don't stress too much and run it with some fun, it should not be as bad as this fall where I tried hard in 3 out of 4 of them.

paces PRs - 5K - 5:48  /  10K - 6:05  /  HM - 6:14  /  FM - 6:26 per mile

AceHarris

RP: nice week, keeping the mileage up post marathon! What's next for you?

Keen: thanks for the comment on the speed. I think it has been a combination of consistent training w/o injury and actually doing a speed cycle this spring instead of just staying in the marathon grind. I've been as surprised as anyone else.

Jmac: not sure on the 10 miler goal yet. January weather here is quite variable, so conditions will play a role. There are a few decent hills as well. I think the total elevation gain is around 500'. So not crazy, but not flat either. If conditions are good I'd be very pleased with sub-59:00.

Cal: have you ran Napa previously? This will be my first time running it.

Road Mile: 5:19 (2017), 5k: 17:09 (2021), 10k: 35:54 (2021), HM: 1:21:55 (2020), M: 2:53:18 (2021)