2022 Advanced Racing Thread (Read 497 times)

Mikkey

Mmmm Bop

At least the thread title isn’t called Sub3 anymore as it’s been precisely 100% failure rate so far. 

5k - 17:53 (4/19)   10k - 37:53 (11/18)   Half - 1:23:18 (4/19)   Full - 2:50:43 (4/19)

JMac11

RIP Milkman

At least the thread title isn’t called Sub3 anymore as it’s been precisely 100% failure rate so far. 

Why do you think RP has been beating his chest so much lately? He's the king of this thread until someone dethrones him!

5K: 16:37 (11/20)  |  10K: 34:49 (10/19)  |  HM: 1:14:57 (5/22)  |  FM: 2:36:31 (12/19) 

Running Problem

Problem Child

Congratulations to all who ran the Boston Marathon today.

Why do you think RP has been beating his chest so much lately? He's the king of this thread until someone dethrones him!

Many of us aren't sure what the hell point you are trying to make and no matter how we guess, it always seems to be something else. Which usually means a person is doing it on purpose.

VDOT 53.37 

5k18:xx | Marathon 2:55:22

Running Problem

Problem Child

OH and my Garmin choose to die at mile 19........

This hits home. CIM I was getting low battery notifications at mile 18 or 19. I personally think I killed the battery by charging it with 15-20% left and not letting it completely die. I was gifted a Garmin Fenix 6 for Christmas. My suggestion for you is a Garmin Fenix 7 with solar charging capabilities. A running watch with a battery life of 3 hours or less just isn't fun. Mine didn't come back to life after letting it completely die a few times and fully charging it. I sold it to someone who runs up to 3 miles a day if they run at all.

Many of us aren't sure what the hell point you are trying to make and no matter how we guess, it always seems to be something else. Which usually means a person is doing it on purpose.

VDOT 53.37 

5k18:xx | Marathon 2:55:22

JMac11

RIP Milkman

I lost but I will run again.

Forgot to mention - this is awesome. Most people have a "bad" marathon and are in the dumps. I love your positive attitude!

5K: 16:37 (11/20)  |  10K: 34:49 (10/19)  |  HM: 1:14:57 (5/22)  |  FM: 2:36:31 (12/19) 

SteveChCh

Hot Weather Complainer

Loved watching the coverage of the race.  It really inspires to want to run this race one day.  The finish in the women's race was fantastic.  Yeshaneh took the second to last turn wide after not realising she had to turn.  She still got back in front but ended up second by 4 seconds so I wonder if it was the difference in the end.

Congrats to all finishers.  The commentators said they thought the headwind started to build for the elites post-Heartbreak.

JMac - I only took a week for Covid then started back with very light running but couldn't believe how beaten up my legs were.  1.5 weeks later and they're finally starting to feel close to normal.  I do wonder if the virus impacts the muscles, because the soreness I felt in the first few days seemed really excessive.

5km: 18:34 11/23 │ 10km: 39:10 8/23 │ HM: 1:26:48 9/23 │ M: 3:34:49 6/23

2024 Races:

Motorway Half Marathon February 25, 2024 1:29:55

Christchurch Half-Marathon April 21, 2024

Selwyn Marathon June 2, 2024

Dunedin Half Marathon September 15, 2024

JMac11

RIP Milkman

JMac - I only took a week for Covid then started back with very light running but couldn't believe how beaten up my legs were.  1.5 weeks later and they're finally starting to feel close to normal.  I do wonder if the virus impacts the muscles, because the soreness I felt in the first few days seemed really excessive.

Nah, not the virus, just the way it always works with time off like that.I ran for a little over an hour the day after my 6 days off: I usually run about 1:20 for my easy runs. The next day, I seriously was more sore than as if I had even run a half marathon. It felt similar to a marathon beating up, and that's not an exaggeration.

There's this weird interim period that this always happens to me, and it's something like 4-10 days off. If it's more time off than that, usually you ease your way back in on mileage for each run. When it's less amount of time, you try to jump back into the easy days you were doing.

Additionally, as I mentioned, your aerobic base has seen almost zero decline, so you can easily go out and run the same paced easy runs you always did. But your legs are not strong enough to run those paces, therefore you get very sore. When you're out for 4-6 weeks, you do start losing some endurance and especially LT-type fitness, so your easy runs slow down a lot and things recalibrate.

I've found it fixes itself in about half the time you were out. So if I'm out a week, it'll take half a week of easy running, a day off, and then I'm back to almost normal. A full amount of easy days will completely fix it for me. YMMV.

SteveChCh

Hot Weather Complainer

It sounds like we're dealing with slightly different issues, although with the same result of badly beaten up legs.  My quads felt like I'd done a half too, and I didn't jump back in at anywhere near the same mileage.  My first run back, after only 7 days, was about 6km @ 5:50/km.  A week earlier I wouldn't have even known I'd run, but after Covid it felt like I'd run a hard half-marathon.

5km: 18:34 11/23 │ 10km: 39:10 8/23 │ HM: 1:26:48 9/23 │ M: 3:34:49 6/23

2024 Races:

Motorway Half Marathon February 25, 2024 1:29:55

Christchurch Half-Marathon April 21, 2024

Selwyn Marathon June 2, 2024

Dunedin Half Marathon September 15, 2024

JMac11

RIP Milkman

Yeah I'm not sure, it could be a respiratory thing. The only thing I've experienced like that is I had pneumonia during my first marathon buildup and after 10 days off, I remember I went for just an easy 5K and my lungs felt like I just raced a 5K. I eventually got over it but I did ask a doctor friend if I was causing permanent damage because it felt so terrible.

Sounds like you're on the other side, which is great!

CalBears

Congrats to Boston runners! Marathons are not easy - we all know that. After running quite a few of them, I am absolutely certain that any of the marathons always have something to make runners fight with - either too cold, too warm, too humid, too dry, too sunny, too rainy, too windy, too slippery, too many potholes, too hilly. Or even too downhilly. So yes, - it's not an easy task to run a marathon 

paces PRs - 5K - 5:48  /  10K - 6:05  /  HM - 6:14  /  FM - 6:26 per mile

flavio80

Intl. correspondent

Put another way: the things that take the longest to build are the last thing you'll lose (e.g. endurance). However, the opposite it true: the things that are fastest to build are the first thing you will lose (top-end speed and strength).

This resonates with me a lot. In my case since I had a longer down period, it was like I went back to zero strength and endurance.

I could run the same 5 min per km 8 min per mile pace, I could run up hills at the same paces as before, however a 3 mile run would destroy my body. On the strength training department it's like I was back to the early days, even body weight split squats were taxing.

The worst part is the hit on the ego. Just last year I could run a half in 1h22, now I'm targeting to MAYBE run sub 90 minutes. That hurts 😂

PRs: 1500 4:54.1 2019 - 5K 17:53 2023 - 10K 37:55 2023 - HM 1:21:59 2021

Up next: no idea

Tool to generate Strava weekly

zebano

Hi All--Short vervsion is I sucked,.......I lost but I will run again.

Every time I accelerated to 7 min miles I felt a deep feeling like a knot in my left quad that went down to the foot.  It also felt like I just could not get the legs to trun over quickly.  I was'nt exhausted, overheated or gasssed the legs just wouldnt trun.

Sorry to hear that fishy. I get that 1 gear thing occasionally in my first long runs. Have you figured out / recovered from the tailbone yet? That doesn't sound like taper issues, sounds like you tweaked something and it ruined your race.

1600 - 5:23 (2018), 5k - 19:33 (2018), 10k - 41:20 (2021), half - 1:38:57 (2018), Marathon - 3:37:17 (2018)

JMac11

RIP Milkman

Marathons are not easy - we all know that. After running quite a few of them, I am absolutely certain that any of the marathons always have something to make runners fight with - either too cold, too warm, too humid, too dry, too sunny, too rainy, too windy, too slippery, too many potholes, too hilly. Or even too downhilly. So yes, - it's not an easy task to run a marathon 

Don't forget "too flat"! We've heard people who prefer rolling hills before to some completely dead flat course. Marathoners always have something to complain about on why their race didn't go well.

Flavio - take it from me, it all comes back quickly. I've had plenty of cycles where I run a 3 mile "tempo" and all I can muster is my previous marathon pace. The endurance is still there for your 1:22 half. Now you just need to build up the other systems. I also say this as I'm literally eating my Acai. I spend all weekend looking forward to Tuesday, the day I go to the office and can finally get it.

Julia1971

(Wrong thread.  Smile )

JMac11

RIP Milkman

(Wrong thread.  Smile )

I read your post 3 times and was still confused, so this makes sense now