2022 Advanced Racing Thread (Read 497 times)

Mikkey

Mmmm Bop

No, Boris has nothing to do with it (thanks god!) - I earned it through running Abbott Major competition.

Congrats, but if you didn’t enjoy Chicago then you might find that London is too flat for you.    I’m a bit gutted that I can’t race with you…but I’ll come up and support…and if you need any advice then just give me a shout as I know London pretty well as I lived there for 10 years. 👍

Milkman - Don’t worry as I’m not planning on running it as my quads aren’t strong enough.   Great comeback week from you! Some running injuries are bizarre when you can run 21 miles but struggle to walk down the stairs!

SomethingClever - All the focus is on you now, so we need to see some great weeks that will inspire us. 👍

5k - 17:53 (4/19)   10k - 37:53 (11/18)   Half - 1:23:18 (4/19)   Full - 2:50:43 (4/19)

Speed Surplus

Haha! Don't call me a real marathoner yet. My race is downhill, so it's definitely fake.

Feel like crap today but will get at least something in. Maybe this is normal, but I've been feeling for a few weeks like I just want the race to be here already. Like, my fitness is there and I just need to taper and let it rip.

I haven't really had that feeling before - in all previous buildups I felt like I needed all of the time to continue improving fitness.

But now it's like I'm on hay patrol at the barn. Not letting any of it out of my sight!

5:27 / 18:49 / 40:32 / 88:12 / 3:12

CalBears

Cal - it looks like you're up next! Any goal for this 100K? Also, I know there was some back and forth on this Abbott thing, can you fill in the details on what it is?

I already mentioned before that the goal for Quicksilver 100K is just to finish under cut off time - that is - under 16 hours. The goal of this "race" is to qualify for Western States 100 lottery. It's a painful experience - 100K and 13,500ft of elevation - so, with all the experience I have running Quicksilver 100K 5 times, I will try not to push and have as little pain as possible - running crazy steep downhill at mile 50 when your quads and ribs are screaming at you is so painful...

"Abbott thing"... It's easy - it's mostly for Masters runners (40+ yo). You go and register there, then you run marathons approved by Abbott and score points (total points for two best approved marathons). If you score at the top of your age group, you will get an invitation to one of the Abbott's Major marathons - per their choice - that's how I got in.

paces PRs - 5K - 5:48  /  10K - 6:05  /  HM - 6:14  /  FM - 6:26 per mile

Running Problem

Problem Child

Cal best of luck at getting into Western States.

Many of us aren't sure what the hell point you are trying to make and no matter how we guess, it always seems to be something else. Which usually means a person is doing it on purpose.

VDOT 53.37 

5k18:xx | Marathon 2:55:22

CalBears

Cal best of luck at getting into Western States.

Thanks, but do that in December, the day before CIM (Saturday) - that's when the lottery is happening...

paces PRs - 5K - 5:48  /  10K - 6:05  /  HM - 6:14  /  FM - 6:26 per mile

JMac11

RIP Milkman

Cal - it's too bad it wasn't NYC, would have loved to see you again this fall.

Mikkey - why didn't you get into London this year?

SC - you should feel like that about marathons without about 2-3 weeks to go before taper. If it's sooner than that, you're peaking too early. Later than that, it's too late. That elevation map plus your statement on fitness says your goal on page 1 might be a bit soft! Be careful with that hay: you weren't around last year, but I was in a similar boat and kept pushing the workouts because I felt so good, and I burned the whole damn barn down.

RP - have you decided on a marathon this year you're definitely running that I can add to the front page?

JT - where you at?

5K: 16:37 (11/20)  |  10K: 34:49 (10/19)  |  HM: 1:14:57 (5/22)  |  FM: 2:36:31 (12/19) 

Fishyone

The lower back/tailbone pain has resolved itself almost completely.  I can sit without any pain and can sleep on my back again.  Quads are sore from the race but I think the back issue would have resolved itself if I had an extra week or 2.  After "extensive google research" I think it is/was some sort of pirifomis strain.

I know it sounds like a bullshit excuse but I really feel like I was in 3:05 shape before the back issue popped up.  I ran the MV 20 miler at 7 pace without an issue at the end of a 100 mile week.

Going to  go for a recovery run this weekend and see how things feel.  If that goes OK then I'll do quick ramp up/taper for a race on May 15.

JMac -Jim thorpe Pennsylvania. Put me down for a 3:10.  It is a point to point net downhill but I think I owe it to myself to give it another shot.

CAL-  good luck with your race.  I don't understand the ultra mindset but I'm sure  the embrace the pain mendset helps with marathons.

Mikkey- I feel like I let you down with my utter Boston failure!!  Please feel free give me crap about running a "cheater course" but I will count it either way!!

5K 18:36 (2023), 10K 39:40 (2022), 1/2 1:24:37 (2023), full 2:58:36 (2015) 

Mikkey

Mmmm Bop

Mikkey - why didn't you get into London this year?

Because I didn’t quality as I didn’t run any marathons in 2020…apart from a trail race which was more like a hike and probably wouldn’t have been eligible anyway. Valencia last December was too late, but at least I’m qualified for 2023 and planning on running it 6 days after Boston as a celebration victory lap if you know what I mean.  

But the goal is to improve my BQ time this fall, although I’m still undecided which race…I’ve already registered for Amsterdam and Abingdon as the safe option because I’ve run them twice before and they’re fast. But neither race gets me chomping at the bit with enthusiasm so I might end up running a new marathon.

JT - Yeah, I hope you’re recovering well and make sure you get a BQ. 👍

Fishy - You didn’t let anyone down!  I like your attitude and you’ll be back. 👍

5k - 17:53 (4/19)   10k - 37:53 (11/18)   Half - 1:23:18 (4/19)   Full - 2:50:43 (4/19)

JMac11

RIP Milkman

Mikkey- I feel like I let you down with my utter Boston failure!!  Please feel free give me crap about running a "cheater course" but I will count it either way!!

I love this! You have such a great attitude. You've been a great addition to this thread.

5K: 16:37 (11/20)  |  10K: 34:49 (10/19)  |  HM: 1:14:57 (5/22)  |  FM: 2:36:31 (12/19) 

Running Problem

Problem Child

RP - have you decided on a marathon this year you're definitely running that I can add to the front page?

I've not.

Many of us aren't sure what the hell point you are trying to make and no matter how we guess, it always seems to be something else. Which usually means a person is doing it on purpose.

VDOT 53.37 

5k18:xx | Marathon 2:55:22

Speed Surplus

SC - you should feel like that about marathons without about 2-3 weeks to go before taper. If it's sooner than that, you're peaking too early. Later than that, it's too late. That elevation map plus your statement on fitness says your goal on page 1 might be a bit soft! Be careful with that hay: you weren't around last year, but I was in a similar boat and kept pushing the workouts because I felt so good, and I burned the whole damn barn down.

Yikes! I hope I'm not peaking. To clarify, it's not that I spring out of bed in the morning ready to run for two hours. I've been feeling the miles in my legs, especially this week.

It's more like... I feel like if I were tapered and rested, based on the effort/pace I've been hitting, I feel ready to give 6:50ish/mile a go on this downhill course and have a decent chance of succeeding.

I haven't felt that way before. Last time, when I ran 3:12, I was targeting 3:10, but I wasn't really sure about hitting it (and I obviously didn't). Splits were 95/97, so not too bad of a fade, but a slight fade nonetheless.

Given that I'm feeling pretty good at the moment, I'm a little worried about continuing to dial up the mileage and I wonder if I should remain fairly conservative. Perhaps just extending the length of my long runs (because I'm definitely lacking a bit there) for a few more weeks until I hit at least 2.5 hours in length. But not worrying about getting to 60-65+ mpw for even a week or two. Does that seem reasonable? Or am I overthinking it and I should continue building?

Edit: I am thinking about racing a 5k parkrun on Saturday. Is that dumb? I haven't really been doing any workouts other than fartlek/tempo/mp stuff, which is pretty conservative.

mmerkle

Yikes! I hope I'm not peaking. To clarify, it's not that I spring out of bed in the morning ready to run for two hours. I've been feeling the miles in my legs, especially this week.

It's more like... I feel like if I were tapered and rested, based on the effort/pace I've been hitting, I feel ready to give 6:50ish/mile a go on this downhill course and have a decent chance of succeeding.

I haven't felt that way before. Last time, when I ran 3:12, I was targeting 3:10, but I wasn't really sure about hitting it (and I obviously didn't). Splits were 95/97, so not too bad of a fade, but a slight fade nonetheless.

Given that I'm feeling pretty good at the moment, I'm a little worried about continuing to dial up the mileage and I wonder if I should remain fairly conservative. Perhaps just extending the length of my long runs (because I'm definitely lacking a bit there) for a few more weeks until I hit at least 2.5 hours in length. But not worrying about getting to 60-65+ mpw for even a week or two. Does that seem reasonable? Or am I overthinking it and I should continue building?

Edit: I am thinking about racing a 5k parkrun on Saturday. Is that dumb? I haven't really been doing any workouts other than fartlek/tempo/mp stuff, which is pretty conservative.

I'm actually curious to see what some people on here have to say about this. I can't tell how I feel about ideal long run length, other than that it should probably be put in the context of weekly mileage. Some people seem to never go over 18 miles, some go 24-25 even. I've heard/read that you start hitting diminishing returns after 2 hours or so. Not sure how true that is.

Speed Surplus

I'm actually curious to see what some people on here have to say about this. I can't tell how I feel about ideal long run length, other than that it should probably be put in the context of weekly mileage. Some people seem to never go over 18 miles, some go 24-25 even. I've heard/read that you start hitting diminishing returns after 2 hours or so. Not sure how true that is.

From my personal experience, going 20+ beats me up more than it helps me. I've done some REALLY dumb long runs before races in the past, and I don't want to repeat my mistakes. (20 miles at 7:58 pace or so...closing in 7:08...before a marathon where I could only manage 8:20 pace https://www.strava.com/activities/194505863

In the last cycle, my longest was about 18.5 miles - right around 2:30 in length

https://www.strava.com/activities/1541992023

Looks like 8:15 pace, 146 AHR, about 900 feet of egain so not a totally easy route. But that run built confidence and I don't think it hurt me at all. And oh god, those shoes I was wearing. NB Fresh Foam Zantes... came highly recommended, but I never liked them.

Marky_Mark_17

Lydiard generally went with 2 to 3 hours.

Like any training stress, people tolerate it differently.  A 30-35km (19-22 mile) long run generally beats me up more than running back to back workouts, for example.  Most coaches I know don't recommend going beyond about 22 miles because you're just pushing your body too far into depletion at that point and the risks outweigh any further rewards.  I can see how the equation could be different for runners with ultra experience who are far more used to tolerating that sort of time on feet though.

3,000m: 9:07.7 (Nov-21) | 5,000m: 15:39 (Dec-19) | 10,000m: 32:34 (Mar-20)  

10km: 33:15 (Sep-19) | HM: 1:09:41 (May-21)* | FM: 2:41:41 (Oct-20)

* Net downhill course

Last race: Waterfront HM, 7 Apr, 1:15:48

Up next: Runway5, 4 May

"CONSISTENCY IS KING"

JMac11

RIP Milkman

I've generally followed the 2.5 hour rule. I try to get 3 of those runs in for each cycle. For me, that's around 21-22 miles. I think if you're a beginner marathoner, you can go to 3.0 hours, but otherwise, there's not much point due to the diminishing returns mmerkle mentions (although it begins at 2.5).

I'd also say it's a build up issue. Your first time to 20 at any pace is going to wipe you out. Your 10th time is pretty easy. The only time I feel wiped out from 20+ anymore is during the summer.