2022 Advanced Racing Thread (Read 497 times)

Running Problem

Problem Child

There are enough calories in 8 ounces of coffee to fuel a 15 mile run.

Many of us aren't sure what the hell point you are trying to make and no matter how we guess, it always seems to be something else. Which usually means a person is doing it on purpose.

VDOT 53.37 

5k18:xx | Marathon 2:55:22

Fishyone

Wow I've got to catch up!

My week:

Date         Distance        Duration             Pace

4/18         26.??                3:20                  Not fast enough

4/23           5.5                     :51                 Really, Really slow

4/24            6.16                  :57                 A little faster

Total: 37ish miles.  legs are feeling almost normal.

SC congratulations on the race!!

DW- Super consistent as always.  What decides the makeup of your track workouts?  Are they coach directed or home-made?

Keen Solid, consistent, high mileage .....hopefully I'll be back with you soon....

JMac- 2 very nice workouts!!  To answer your question I drive into work one day a week and do the full swap out of laundry.  I also make sure I have plenty of food, gatorade etc  in my mini-fridge.  Similar to RP my morning run is only fueled by coffee so by the time I've showered I'm too hungry even to go somewhere to buy food!!

Mikkey- I teared up a little when I read your moose mug story......What are you trying to turn this into the Walton's thread. Lets get a good Junk miles, dead zone or "soft runner" argument going and spice it up around here!!!

5K 18:36 (2023), 10K 39:40 (2022), 1/2 1:24:37 (2023), full 2:58:36 (2015) 

flavio80

Intl. correspondent

Mikkey- I teared up a little when I read your moose mug story......What are you trying to turn this into the Walton's thread. Lets get a good Junk miles, dead zone or "soft runner" argument going and spice it up around here!!!

I knew you guys had a heart in there somewhere ❤️

PRs: 1500 4:54.1 2019 - 5K 17:53 2023 - 10K 37:55 2023 - HM 1:21:59 2021

Up next: no idea

Tool to generate Strava weekly

JMac11

RIP Milkman

Added to the front page.

Fishy - driving in makes a lot of sense. I commute via subway, so it's hard to get a bunch of clothes in/out at once. Even 2 days in a row would require multiple jackets, shoes, clothes, etc. to bring back. I guess I could do it with a suitcase? I don't know. If I ran both directions, it would probably be easier, but I'm not about to start doubling 3 days a week!

Flavio - sending our love right back to you ❤️❤️❤️

Morning Runs - I'm totally fine with the lack of calories, it's about getting the digestive system going. If that cup of coffee doesn't work pre-run, I'm in trouble about 6 miles into my run.

5K: 16:37 (11/20)  |  10K: 34:49 (10/19)  |  HM: 1:14:57 (5/22)  |  FM: 2:36:31 (12/19) 

CommanderKeen

Cobra Commander Keen

JMac - I agree with you on Strava being weird at times. There are multiple people whose runs rarely show when they should.
            That race is the next one I know for certain I'm running, but I'm searching for some good 5ks in the next couple months. They're just oddly rare around here for some reason.

5k: 17:58 11/22 │ 10k: 37:55 9/21 │ HM: 1:23:22 4/22 │ M: 2:56:05 12/22

Upcoming Races:

Running Problem

Problem Child

JMac "don't forget your shit tickets" as the trail runners sometimes say. Are public bathrooms for customers only in your area? Asking because I can SOMETIMES fine a grocery store (I know they're different than NYC) or something to pop into.

EDIT: Today's Bing homepage makes me think of you since it is a place you frequent so much.

For those who "run commute" I've been wearing the Brooks Sherpa shorts (7" because I don't want to show too much thigh) with a cell phone pocket for years. I have the newest pair and will tell you, for me, the cell phone pocket works great. I carry an iphone 12 and it stays glued to my leg. The pockets on the side aren't 4 pockets. Rather 2 large pockets with the middle of the elastic stitched into the top of the shorts so it creates the illusion of 2 pockets on each side. Great for holding larger items. Plus the new waist band is actually really comfortable. I just thought I'd drop a recommendation/review on these here if anyone wants to start the run commute and wonders where they'll carry their laptop and 32 ounce Hydroflask/Nalgene/Yeti/Coleman/Stanley/Starbucks liquid container.

EDTI: Perhaps Strava is using the same algorithm stuff as the facegram social media website. Maybe a billionare can buy it and improve it.

#MakeLeaderboardsFreeAgain

Many of us aren't sure what the hell point you are trying to make and no matter how we guess, it always seems to be something else. Which usually means a person is doing it on purpose.

VDOT 53.37 

ccoakley

Delurking re run commuting...

I used to live in DC and would run 4-8 mi into work 2-3 times a week in the summer.  My building had shower facilities and I would run with a backpack that had a change of clothes/shoes/shower supplies/sometimes a lunch.  You want to get a backpack that has chest and stomach straps and you want to be able to really cinch it close to your body.  If you'll bringing home anything other than sweaty clothes get one with 2 sections. It can take a few runs to get used to the extra weight but just consider it enhanced training.  You definitely notice a difference when you run without the backpack.

5k 24:53 (2020) |10k 52:24 (2021) |HM 1:57:14 (2019) |FM 4:24 (2007) |50k 5:57 (2022)

JMac11

RIP Milkman

Delurking re run commuting...

I used to live in DC and would run 4-8 mi into work 2-3 times a week in the summer.  My building had shower facilities and I would run with a backpack that had a change of clothes/shoes/shower supplies/sometimes a lunch.  You want to get a backpack that has chest and stomach straps and you want to be able to really cinch it close to your body.  If you'll bringing home anything other than sweaty clothes get one with 2 sections. It can take a few runs to get used to the extra weight but just consider it enhanced training.  You definitely notice a difference when you run without the backpack.

Thanks. I'm really trying to avoid the entire backpack thing, mainly because many of my run commutes involve workouts as well. So I'm trying to see how people do it for multiple days in a row without one. It sounds like Fishy just does one huge laundry change once a week, which I'll have to consider at some point. Probably much easier in the summer since you know exactly what you're going to be wearing. In the shoulder seasons, you could be wearing anything from a t-shirt to a thick zip up with gloves, so it may be harder to pack.

The thing that still confuses me is the winter. If you come to the office in a coat, then you leave the coat there as you run home, don't you eventually have 4 coats hanging around in the office by the end of the week? Probably easier though if your commute is hopping into your car and then walking right into an office building.

5K: 16:37 (11/20)  |  10K: 34:49 (10/19)  |  HM: 1:14:57 (5/22)  |  FM: 2:36:31 (12/19) 

zebano

Back when I worked at a place with both showers and a gym literally across the street, I used to run commute. For me it was simply a matter of bike in with a load of clothes for the week, store them at my desk, run home that night. Run in the next morning and bike home w/ dirty clothes. I'd occasionally double but it was pretty rare as I'd usually choose one day to just drive so that I could run at lunch with coworkers. My current location doesn't have showers so I only ever bike or run commute on days with absolutely no meetings (very rare).

1600 - 5:23 (2018), 5k - 19:33 (2018), 10k - 41:20 (2021), half - 1:38:57 (2018), Marathon - 3:37:17 (2018)

Mikkey

Mmmm Bop

My proudest achievement this year is getting the most quotes on the first page!

I’m going for a run tomorrow. 👍

5k - 17:53 (4/19)   10k - 37:53 (11/18)   Half - 1:23:18 (4/19)   Full - 2:50:43 (4/19)

Fishyone

Thanks. I'm really trying to avoid the entire backpack thing, mainly because many of my run commutes involve workouts as well. So I'm trying to see how people do it for multiple days in a row without one. It sounds like Fishy just does one huge laundry change once a week, which I'll have to consider at some point. Probably much easier in the summer since you know exactly what you're going to be wearing. In the shoulder seasons, you could be wearing anything from a t-shirt to a thick zip up with gloves, so it may be harder to pack.

The thing that still confuses me is the winter. If you come to the office in a coat, then you leave the coat there as you run home, don't you eventually have 4 coats hanging around in the office by the end of the week? Probably easier though if your commute is hopping into your car and then walking right into an office building.

J-Mac Many, many coats and planning.  I look ahead at weather and have multiple umbrellas and coats everywhere. I think at one point I had 5 or 6 coats in my office when I'd run in the morning then take commuter rail back to my car.  The easiest are the 7.5 doubles where in winter I even wear the same running clothes to save laundry. I also have a second earpods charger and watch connection so no worries about dead electronics.  I have had a couple of chilly trips home from work but I consider them learning experiences.

My first year doing it I tried the backpack and could never get used to running with it.

Mikkey - I think your supremacy in quotes is only because Cal hasn't decided to compete in that arena yet!!

RP Shit tickets???  LOL I thought that was why trail runners wore socks.......

5K 18:36 (2023), 10K 39:40 (2022), 1/2 1:24:37 (2023), full 2:58:36 (2015) 

Running Problem

Problem Child

Today I Learned (TIL) trail runners wear socks.

VDOT 53.37 

Running Problem

Problem Child

My proudest achievement this year is getting the most quotes on the first page!

I’m going for a run tomorrow. 👍

I need to find be handed this Z goal post information. I am sad I missed out on the conversation, but it is a sick burn commanderkeen will take to the grave. Perhaps he should get a tattoo of his worst marathon time as a "running related tattoo" thing. I'd chip in $100.

JMac I would just take the jacket home daily. Tie it around your waist, shove it in the straps of a backpack and run uncomfortably, or dress for only one run while expecting to suffer on the other. Pick a different jacket to wear (perhaps a running jacket) around the office. I can't refuse to run commute since it is over 20 miles one way and I'm not doing a 2.5 hour run to take a city bus for a 4 mile run home. I also won't run 4 miles to take a bus and I can see rlk rolling her eyes in disgust of my inflexibility in contributing to global warming on a microscale. ZFG.

VDOT 53.37 

Mikkey

Mmmm Bop

Mikkey - I think your supremacy in quotes is only because Cal hasn't decided to compete in that arena yet!!

Cal is far too long winded to make the quotes page. What he has to say takes 5 paragraphs…whereas I can do it into 2/3 sentences and that’s the secret. 

I’m thinking of registering for the Isle of Man marathon on the 14th August as a bit of motivation to get me through summer and keep my fitness levels up. I’ve run it twice before and love the vibe. Should I go for it?

5k - 17:53 (4/19)   10k - 37:53 (11/18)   Half - 1:23:18 (4/19)   Full - 2:50:43 (4/19)

zebano

I’m thinking of registering for the Isle of Man marathon on the 14th August as a bit of motivation to get me through summer and keep my fitness levels up. I’ve run it twice before and love the vibe. Should I go for it?

Why haven't you registered yet?

JMac - just let your running jackets collect at work. Hopefully you have at least 5 Boston jackets to really let your coworkers know what you do for recreation (and how much faster you are than them). It's a super subtle flex

1600 - 5:23 (2018), 5k - 19:33 (2018), 10k - 41:20 (2021), half - 1:38:57 (2018), Marathon - 3:37:17 (2018)