2022 Advanced Racing Thread (Read 497 times)

Fishyone

Had a funny interaction at work today with a co-worker who was at the marathon finish line and tracking me. Thought you all might enjoy......

Co-worker: Wow you had a great pace going through mile 19 then you slowed down..... Was thatt your plan? I couldn't figure out why you were going slower.

Fishy: 

5K 18:36 (2023), 10K 39:40 (2022), 1/2 1:24:37 (2023), full 2:58:36 (2015) 

CalBears

Cal is far too long winded to make the quotes page. What he has to say takes 5 paragraphs…whereas I can do it into 2/3 sentences and that’s the secret. 

I’m thinking of registering for the Isle of Man marathon on the 14th August as a bit of motivation to get me through summer and keep my fitness levels up. I’ve run it twice before and love the vibe. Should I go for it?

Yep, Mikkey is totally correct - I usually do not have a luxury to finish my story as most native listeners lose an interest in my narrative because I usually start from the very beginning, I mean, I am giving the history of the matter also 

Sure, register for that race, I have a race on Aug 28th - so we could compare our fitness at that time and some of us might get more serious about training. 

Fishy - your coworker asked a great question, actually. Why, after running so many marathons you slowed down after mile 19th? Does it mean you were too aggressive at the beginning of the race? Maybe your training mileage was not good enough? What was your plan and did it work out? 

paces PRs - 5K - 5:48  /  10K - 6:05  /  HM - 6:14  /  FM - 6:26 per mile

CommanderKeen

Cobra Commander Keen

I need to find be handed this Z goal post information. I am sad I missed out on the conversation, but it is a sick burn commanderkeen will take to the grave. Perhaps he should get a tattoo of his worst marathon time as a "running related tattoo" thing. I'd chip in $100.

$100 should get me started. I'm a little worried I'd end up with the running version of this, though:

5k: 17:58 11/22 │ 10k: 37:55 9/21 │ HM: 1:23:22 4/22 │ M: 2:56:05 12/22

Upcoming Races:

Fishyone

Fishy - your coworker asked a great question, actually. Why, after running so many marathons you slowed down after mile 19th? Does it mean you were too aggressive at the beginning of the race? Maybe your training mileage was not good enough? What was your plan and did it work out? 

I think I could write a book about this race called "Reasons I slowed down after mile 19.."  

5K 18:36 (2023), 10K 39:40 (2022), 1/2 1:24:37 (2023), full 2:58:36 (2015) 

Running Problem

Problem Child

Fixed it for ya. 

$100 should get me started. I'm looking forward to having the running version of this, though:

Many of us aren't sure what the hell point you are trying to make and no matter how we guess, it always seems to be something else. Which usually means a person is doing it on purpose.

VDOT 53.37 

5k18:xx | Marathon 2:55:22

Speed Surplus

OK, so I got bored and decided to analyze my previous marathon buildups. LOL they are mostly terrible!

The first one I was starting from literally zero a few weeks prior so there's some excuse (recovering from knee/leg injury and 6 months sedentary) but the others... I can see here that I had some real weak spots. I'm allergic to formal training plans and have never followed a one except for my first 'thon (Hal Higdon) but man...

From left to right, the times that these resulted in were 3:59, 3:38, 3:22, and 3:12.

28 mpw?! LOLOLOLOL. And in the 3:38 I remember feeling disappointed because I'd run a 1:33 half during the buildup, but I had some pretty crappy weeks in there and only averaged 34.5 mpw. I'd say 3:38 on a hilly marathon course isn't actually that bad, given the training!

I'm also SHOCKED that my last buildup only averaged 41.4 mpw. I thought it was around 45. For what it's worth, none of these include the week of the marathon itself - they all end with the last full week before the race.

So far I'm only sitting at an avg. of 44.8 mpw for the current buildup, but I have 6-7 weeks left to pump that a bit hopefully by remaining consistent. I'd like for the overall average to be over 50, so I'll do my best and see what happens.

5:27 / 18:49 / 40:32 / 88:12 / 3:12

JMac11

RIP Milkman

I think I could write a book about this race called "Reasons I slowed down after mile 19.."  

"I Ran the 2022 Boston 30K: The Fishyone Story"

Keen - you're such a good sport about your marathons! At least you had so many other PRs over the last year, makes the marathon something to laugh about.

SC - in my spreadsheet, I keep a rolling 12W and 26W average, so I know where I'm at at all times and can reference previous weeks. I ran most of my marathons in the 45-55 MPW range for those 12 week averages. 28 MPW is hilarious though, nobody can run well on that! I think if you can get to 50 MPW over a 20 week average like you're calculating, you will be in great shape! I can tell you're getting antsy though regarding the race and your fitness. Don't do anything stupid these last few weeks before the taper. Looking at your numbers, I would not crack 60 MPW at all before the race.

5K: 16:37 (11/20)  |  10K: 34:49 (10/19)  |  HM: 1:14:57 (5/22)  |  FM: 2:36:31 (12/19) 

JMac11

RIP Milkman

Zebano - you've inspired me to try something new with my run commute off of what you said. I'm going to do the run home at night, and then run into the office the next morning. It allows me to run 2 days instead of 1, and doesn't really require a lot more stuff in the office (just work clothes for the next day). I absolutely loathe running in the morning, but if it saves me another 45 minutes a week from commuting, I'm in!

5K: 16:37 (11/20)  |  10K: 34:49 (10/19)  |  HM: 1:14:57 (5/22)  |  FM: 2:36:31 (12/19) 

CommanderKeen

Cobra Commander Keen

Keen - you're such a good sport about your marathons! At least you had so many other PRs over the last year, makes the marathon something to laugh about.

I can either laugh or cry, so....

I have had some good success getting PRs in every other distance I've bothered to race so the marathon is a bit of a weight hanging over me. I've only had two decent to good marathons (my PR and oddly my first), so I really need to fix that.

5k: 17:58 11/22 │ 10k: 37:55 9/21 │ HM: 1:23:22 4/22 │ M: 2:56:05 12/22

Upcoming Races:

Running Problem

Problem Child

JMac When CommandKeen pops off a 2:52 at CIM 2022 not only will it blow our minds it will be a comeback story worthy of a Disney movie. Too bad the race report won't be detailed enough.

Many of us aren't sure what the hell point you are trying to make and no matter how we guess, it always seems to be something else. Which usually means a person is doing it on purpose.

VDOT 53.37 

5k18:xx | Marathon 2:55:22

Mikkey

Mmmm Bop

Yep, Mikkey is totally correct - I usually do not have a luxury to finish my story as most native listeners lose an interest in my narrative because I usually start from the very beginning, I mean, I am giving the history of the matter also 

Sure, register for that race, I have a race on Aug 28th - so we could compare our fitness at that time and some of us might get more serious about training. 

Done!  My wife informed me that I’ve been to Isle of Man 3 times…first time I downgraded to the half as I was recovering from an injury. Really looking forward to going back. 👍

Milkman - Can you put Abingdon on the list for 23rd October….goal TBD.

5k - 17:53 (4/19)   10k - 37:53 (11/18)   Half - 1:23:18 (4/19)   Full - 2:50:43 (4/19)

Ian5

Mikkey-What is IOM like as a course? That's the first weekend of my new age group for GFA.

5k 17:35,10k 36:43,10m 61:55,HM 1:24:03,Full 3:07:39

Mikkey

Mmmm Bop

Mikkey-What is IOM like as a course? That's the first weekend of my new age group for GFA.

It’s a 2 lap rolling hill mostly country lanes course with little crowd support and there is one noticeably big hill at around mile 3/16 which means it’s not really a PB race and probably a couple of minutes slower than a flat course. There’s a free coach from Douglas that takes you to Ramsey (30min) and a coach back. They are VERY generous with AG awards for such a small event with prizes for top 3 male/female in every category which means that almost half the field wins one. 

Btw, have you run the Yorkshire Marathon?  I was sort of looking into that race as my wife is from Leeds and it could be a potential family meet up, but the 5 hour drive is putting me off. 

5k - 17:53 (4/19)   10k - 37:53 (11/18)   Half - 1:23:18 (4/19)   Full - 2:50:43 (4/19)

Ian5

Milkey-Cheers for that,I'll be looking at close to a PB course so will keep looking.

I haven't done York but I know a lot who have,and they all rated it pretty highly,think there's a hill around 20 they didn't like but other than that they enjoyed it.

Just booked a few days away in Prague that just happened to coincide with the Prague 10k so will enter that.

5k 17:35,10k 36:43,10m 61:55,HM 1:24:03,Full 3:07:39

Mikkey

Mmmm Bop

Milkey-Cheers for that,I'll be looking at close to a PB course so will keep looking.

I haven't done York but I know a lot who have,and they all rated it pretty highly,think there's a hill around 20 they didn't like but other than that they enjoyed it.

Just booked a few days away in Prague that just happened to coincide with the Prague 10k so will enter that.

Didn’t you just run Boston?  It would be cool to get a RR from a Brit!

I have a little black book which is full of notes on the Boston Marathon and believe me…I’ll be taking Boston 2023 very, very seriously.