so so new (Read 1303 times)

If a 9:30 pace is challenging, then you should be going a bit slower for most of your runs. By slowing down a bit you'll find that you can go farther with less chance of injury. With those slow extra miles will come speed (yeah, I thought it was weird too, but it works.) Save the challenging pace for one day a week, probably one of your shorter runs. I'd also say that you shouldn't worry too much about monitoring your heart rate. During most of your runs, you should be able to hold a conversation. Don't feel weird about talking to yourself for a few seconds to gauge that ability. If you can, then you are probably keeping your heart rate at a good level.

-------------------------------------
    5K - 18:25 - 3/19/11
    10K - 39:38 - 12/13/09
    1/2 - 1:29:38 - 5/30/10
    Full - 3:45:40 - 5/27/07

Maniac

Welcome (though I haven't been running too long myself, so I feel a bit awkward "welcoming" you). Anyway... I had the same knee problem. I never did figure out what it was (one doc said it was the sartorius muscle and I did PT for a month). My knee now hurts at random times in random places. I'm not sure what it is. i realize that it's not much help....My suggestion would be to take it easy. Ice after your runs and see if that helps. If it gets worse, you might see a doc. Lastly, new shoes would be a good idea (suggested by others also). As others have suggested, I'd go to a running store to get fitted. Definitely worth the time.

Marathon Maniac #6740

Goals for 2015:

Run 3 marathons (modified:  Run 2 marathons--Lost Dutchman 02/2015 and Whiskey Row 05/2015)

Run a 50-miler (Ran a 53.8 mile race 11/14/2015)

Run 1,500 miles (uhhh...how about 1,400?)

Stay healthy

that's what she said

So today I was scheduled to run 2 miles and do some strength training. I decided to focus on changing 3 things....1. I slowed down from a 9:30 to about 10:55...it defiinitely felt weird but I noticed my run didn't sound as heavy. 2. I shortened my stride. That caused me to feel like my toes were hitting the ground first? Hard to explain. But I started to feel it more in my calves. 3. I tried to keep my arms at 90 degrees and not flapping in front of me...that was the most difficult change because it just didn't feel natural. During the run I was able to sing along to the music, but I was also able to do that at a 9:30 pace. After the run I definitely didn't feel as tired...I felt almost as if I had just done a warm up run and wanted to do more but I restrained myself Wink afterall I had to pump some iron. Good news...my knee hurt only a twinge when I first started but it didn't hurt at all during the remainder of the run or after. You guys were right on. I was pushing too hard. But for the race, should I go ahead a push it back to the 9:30 pace? On a bummer note, it's going to rain Saturday!! My first 10k and it'll be raining. What the eff?! Thanks again everyone!
        Nicole
        sluggo

John

Hello tolleyrose! I am fairly new to RA too, but I like it, so I suppose I can welcome you too! People have already given you great tips and I will add some of my own - which in some ways conflict with what other's have said. 1) I would agree that running a half w/o walking is doable if you were not dealing with knee pain now. I don't see your running log, so I don't know how much running you are putting in - but running too far, too fast is a path to being hurt. My advice is take it easy at the start. You are in this for the long haul, right? Focus on getting your training runs in, doing 5K's, avoiding injury, and having a good time. Distance and speed will come. 2) This may not apply to you - but - I had to get married a 2nd time before my (new) wife said something like: "Hey! Stupid! You have flat feet! Get orthotics!" I do have flat feet and I did get orthotics (inserts that I place inside my running shoes) and knee pain disappeared. I also watch how many miles I have on my running shoes and never get to 500. Oh! And I never use my running shoes for anything but running until they have been retired. 3) There is nothing wrong with walking, especially for longer distances. Look for stuff written by Jeff Galloway. He encourages you to take many, early walking breaks, to improve endurance, and speed, and reduce the risk of injury. I modified his walking break plan a bit for my long runs to walk for one minute at every mile (or X minutes) whatever is easy to measure. A minute goes by very fast and you may find that you will finish a long route faster if you start taking these short walking breaks at the very start of your long runs. The nicest thing about running though is you are free to do it your way. Just make sure you are having fun! John

John
          www.wickedrunningclub.com

In the beginning, the universe was created.This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move.

--- Douglas Adams, in "The Restaurant at the End of the Universe"

Imminent Catastrophe

... But for the race, should I go ahead a push it back to the 9:30 pace? On a bummer note, it's going to rain Saturday!! My first 10k and it'll be raining. What the eff?!
            It's a race. Push it (unless you feel knee pain, then back off). Your goal should be to run km 10 at roughly the same pace that you ran km 1. If you slow down toward the end, you started too fast. If you can speed up and have energy at the end, you started out too conservatively. Almost certainly you will not run a perfect pace. I ran 20-something races this year and only ran 4 of them well. That's part of the fun, you're always learning and just when you think you've figured it out you realize you haven't. Every race is a lesson. As far as rain is concerned, you don't want rain, but after it's all over, those races in bad weather make for the best memories. I ran one in a torrential downpour this year and once the race started, it was a blast! Please post a race report so we know how it went.

"Able to function despite imminent catastrophe"

"To obtain the air that angels breathe you must come to Tahoe"--Mark Twain

"The most common question from potential entrants is 'I do not know if I can do this' to which I usually answer, 'that's the whole point'.--Paul Charteris, Tarawera Ultramarathon RD.

√ Javelina Jundred Jalloween 2015

Cruel Jewel 50 mile May 2016

Western States 100 June 2016

Hey, great, another san diegan (although i 'm really a transplant from ireland). check out these guys http://www.wcroadrunners.com/ - i have heard good things about them and their coach. He might be able to help you on your gait. I signed up last year but lacked discipline not to go surfing instead of running on those early saturday morning training sessions in mission bay.... I always stretch now, before and after the run. My sports doc said i was one of the most inflexible people he had met and that it was contributing to my tight calves (got after the RnR). So i started doing yoga, it has helped me and i can almost touch my toes. Also you might want to think about the la jolla half marathon, really is a beautiful course though a little tough. It runs at the end of april... free beer at the end!
                On a bummer note, it's going to rain Saturday!! My first 10k and it'll be raining. What the eff?!
                First: welcome! Smile Love your avatar and your quote Wink Second: if it's going to rain, get some Body Glide. Use generously. Trust me.
                2009: BQ?
                Teresadfp

One day at a time

First: welcome! Smile Love your avatar and your quote Wink Second: if it's going to rain, get some Body Glide. Use generously. Trust me.
                  OK, dumb question - what is it and why use it in the rain? TIA! Teresa
                  chrimbler

I'm fairly new to RA, but have been running off and on for about 15 years and the best advice, to stay injury free and run faster (if that is your intent?)...is to R-E-L-A-X when you run, look around and above all have fun! If you do this you will see that you will have less injuries, your form will improve and you will see and hear things you never noticed going on around you...so just RELAX and when you've relaxed...relax some more, and have fun!
                    Run like you stole it!
                      Welcome Nicole!! You are getting the best advice from the others. I had really bad knee problems with my shoes I got at Foot Locker. The guy said they were running shoes. I did not know until after like 300 miles and knee pain that I over pronate when I run and needed motion control shoes. I went to the local running store and they saved my knees. I will say that if you go to your local store and enjoy them buy from them! If they are like mine here they do a ton in the running community and is worth the little extra to support them. As far as paces go here is a great site to find your paces for different type of runs/workouts or races. http://www.mcmillanrunning.com/mcmillanrunningcalculator.htm just type your last 5k in and it calculates pace goal for different distances. This is a great article from the same site. http://www.mcmillanrunning.com/training1.htm Good luck and how old is your Weimie? we have 2 Weims. I love them, they have to be the coolest dogs in the world. Crazy in the head but worth every min.

Rim Rock Dad

OK, dumb question - what is it and why use it in the rain? TIA! Teresa
                        Body Glide is a Godsend! You will get to a point in some race when certain parts will either rub against each other, or your clothes. Usually, this happens when you start sweating or you're in the rain (like Saturday for you Tolley). This stuff looks like a deodorant stick, and goes on like it. It helps keep things from chaffing, and if you're not careful, bleeding. I highly recommend getting this stuff. Throw it in your duffle bag you never forget it. I've seen too many guys that could have used it, and wound up paying for it after the race.
                        James "We're only at home when we're on the run." -Neil Peart

Feeling the growl again

You have plenty of time to train for the half. Your body will take time to adjust to training the amount needed to do the half and, fortunately, you're planning to give it that (good for you!). As others indicated, it's a good sign that the knee pain goes away when you are warmed up. It may cost a bit more but it is not a bad idea to try several TYPES (NOT brands) of shoes, ie neutral, motion control, etc to see what works best and if it alleviates the pain. A small hit on the wallet now could save you a lot of pain later. Yes, someone in a running store COULD be able to tell you what to wear, but whenever I send someone to most of those stores they emerge with the most expensive clod-hopper-weigh-me-downs on the wall and don't need them after all. Yes! Slow down on your training runs. You should only do a couple hard efforts every week. It's a classic mistake to run moderately hard every run....you get worse returns than if you ran easy most runs and hit the workouts well. A good workout at your level is simply to take a day you're feeling good, and accelerate over the last half of the run so that you are running near 5K pace for the last 1/4 mile. Good work, but not going to break you as you're only topped out a short while. Much easier to get used to than jumping into intervals or something, which you won't need for your first half if you don't want.

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I am spaniel - Crusher of Treadmills

that's what she said

Wildingb-I hadn’t even heard of the La Jolla half-that must be a gorgeous run!….I know I should probably go for it…but I’m wussing out Blush…April seems too soon for me. I looked into wc roadrunners because another teacher at my school runs with them…I think running with a group and coach would be great and really help me…unfortunately I can’t commit to their training schedule…I don’t have a cool surfing excuse like you…my excuse is about 35 inches tall and her favorite word right now is Elmo….so I’ll have to stick with advice from you guys. Trishie-Thanks! My hubby said that quote was obnoxious…I just couldn’t resist Tongue. I’ll have to get some Body Glide…I had never heard of that….definitely don’t want to get chub rub!! Chrimbler-Great tip! One of the things I love about running is that it helps me to clear my head and not obsess over my usual day to day obsessions…but lately I noticed I hadn’t been as relaxed because I was constantly focusing on time and distance…I’m gonna start relaxing again. Tcoyle-Thanks for the link to the pace guide…I’ll look into that…Phoebe Ruff Ruff…aka the weimer is 6….And, yes…oh my god they are crazy Big grin! spaniel-I plan on heading over to the running store right on Sat. after the race...I figure I shouldn't get a new pair of shoes a few days before..I've heard good things about the store I plan on going to so hopefully I'll come away with something that works for me. Thanks again everyone! Smile
                            Nicole

SMART Approach

Tollyrose, Alot of great advice. Yes, you are running too fast. May have cause knee pain. It appears your 5K race pace is around a 9 min pace or even slower and you are running each training run basically at tempo pace which is a tough work out for you. Too fast! Generally, your training pace should be about 2 min slower than your current 5K race pace so that 10:55 pace is about right. One day per week finish stronger but not too fast on a run. Throw in some 100M striders once per week and slowly increase your miles if your body is feeling great. You will continue to progress and half marathon will be no problem.

Run Coach. Recovery Coach. Founder of SMART Approach Training, Coaching & Recovery

Structured Marathon Adaptive Recovery Training

Safe Muscle Activation Recovery Technique

www.smartapproachtraining.com

Another Passion

Everything's been very well covered, Nicole so, I got nuttin'. Other than to say welcome to RA as well! Big grin The folks here are awesome, encouraging, helpful, and inspirational. Thanks to many of these knuckleheads and their inspiring stories, I am registered for my first full marathon in April. Who knew?!? Confused You're in good hands... no not Allstate... RA folks' hands! Wink

Rick
                                "The will to win means nothing without the will to prepare." - Juma Ikangaa
                                "I wanna go fast." Ricky Bobby
                                runningforcassy.blogspot.com