long run question (Read 1330 times)

So last sunday I did my first 10 miler. It went great and is it ok to do a 12 miler this sunday, or should I do another 10? I don't know if this is a big deal or not, and since I feel fine and felt fine last week I figured I might as well try more. I'm not really sure how long runs are supposed to work, I mean if you do very gradual increases in mileage, or just 2 more miles/week. Thanks

Menace to Sobriety

General rule of thumb is that you shouldn't increase your overall weely miles by more than 10% per week, and that your long run shouldn't be more than around 20% of your overall weekly miles. Those are very general guidelines, let your body be your guide.

Janie, today I quit my job. And then I told my boss to go f*** himself, and then I blackmailed him for almost sixty thousand dollars. Pass the asparagus.

I'd say stick with 10mi if you're doing a goal 10k race a week later. Just sayin. (10k race-goal-<62min-9/14) do a little easy running before and after the 10k and it should end up with long run milage too. good luck! 4)="" do="" a="" little="" easy="" running="" before="" and="" after="" the="" 10k="" and="" it="" should="" end="" up="" with="" long="" run="" milage="" too.="" good=""></62min-9/14) do a little easy running before and after the 10k and it should end up with long run milage too. good luck!>
        Teresadfp

One day at a time

General rule of thumb is that you shouldn't increase your overall weely miles by more than 10% per week, and that your long run shouldn't be more than around 20% of your overall weekly miles. Those are very general guidelines, let your body be your guide.
          20% seems low - that means if you're going to do a 10-mile long run, you should run 50 miles that week. I read that it should be 33-40%.
            Ok cool, that sounds good. Viich, I'll stick with the 10 miles because of the race next week (didn't really think about that impacting the race). Smile THanks guys eta: But if I hadn't had the race next saturday, is it good to do a 2 ml/wk increase in your long runs? Craig, if I only do a 20% long run, its only 6 miles and I run that as an "easy" run. Does that mean like teresa said, I'd have to run 50 miles to have a 10 mile lr?

20% seems low - that means if you're going to do a 10-mile long run, you should run 50 miles that week. I read that it should be 33-40%.
              If you run 5 days / week the same each day, then 1 of those runs is 20%. Then your long run = short run... Confused I think it would be fine to up you long run by 2 miles / week (not forever Wink ). Try it, if it feels ok then great, try it again, if not, either keep the same or reduce. Go more by how it feels than by percentages.
              Favorite quote: Stop your crying you little girl! 2011: Mt Washington, Washington Trails, Peaks Island, Pikes Peak.
              Scout7

Hotly debated topic. It will range anywhere from 10-50%. For me, I've found that somewhere around 25-35% to be optimal. As for the OP, you can go up by 2 miles. The 10% "rule" is a rule of thumb only. I see it broken all the time with no ill effect. If you feel fine, then I'd say go for it.
                  Sweet, ok thanks scout7. Smile

Menace to Sobriety

Ok cool, that sounds good. Viich, I'll stick with the 10 miles because of the race next week (didn't really think about that impacting the race). Smile THanks guys eta: But if I hadn't had the race next saturday, is it good to do a 2 ml/wk increase in your long runs? Craig, if I only do a 20% long run, its only 6 miles and I run that as an "easy" run. Does that mean like teresa said, I'd have to run 50 miles to have a 10 mile lr?
                    These are just general guidelines that I've read in the somewhere in the past. I'm sure there are varying schools of thought. As long as you're running comfortably, I don't see any reason not to go more.

Janie, today I quit my job. And then I told my boss to go f*** himself, and then I blackmailed him for almost sixty thousand dollars. Pass the asparagus.

xor

Hotly debated topic. It will range anywhere from 10-50%. For me, I've found that somewhere around 25-35% to be optimal. As for the OP, you can go up by 2 miles. The 10% "rule" is a rule of thumb only. I see it broken all the time with no ill effect. If you feel fine, then I'd say go for it.
                      In this case, I'm in the same group as Scout. For me, my long run (typically 26.2 miles) is 30-35% of my weekly mpw. I feel great, and sometimes in races where I want to PR, I PR. When my mpw shrinks for a few weeks because of real life but I still do that 26.2 miler on the weekend, things get choppy. But I know lots of people who do this differently - in both directions. The rules of thumb are a lot like the ol' "wait 3 hours after you eat before you swim" rule. It works for most of us because it is very conservative.

Right on Hereford...

Hotly debated topic. It will range anywhere from 10-50%.
                        Does anyone actually recommend that your long run be 10% of weekly mileage? Seriously? Let's do the math... For a long run of 10 miles, you would need a 100-mile week. But for a 100-mile week, you need to average 14 miles a day. Therefore, your long run would be the shortest run of the week (assuming no 2-a-days). Wink
                        Teresadfp

One day at a time

Does anyone actually recommend that your long run be 10% of weekly mileage? Seriously? Let's do the math... For a long run of 10 miles, you would need a 100-mile week. But for a 100-mile week, you need to average 14 miles a day. Therefore, your long run would be the shortest run of the week (assuming no 2-a-days). Wink
                          Geez, you and your math! So frickin' logical! Wink We need you in our school district...
                            This was originally very confusing to me, as my name is also Craig. I think you'd be fine doing a 12 miler otherwise. Good luck with the race, Craig
                              If it feels good do it? Big grin

Menace to Sobriety

If it feels good do it? Big grin
                                Exactly