The Mile (Read 589 times)

Walk-Jogger

thanks and congrats on the vertical mile! Is that on a ski slope? Anything that high here would end up on a glacier.

Nothing that exciting; this was indoors at the rec center on a Freemotion Incline Treadmill - I don't know of any run-able trails that steep in this area. I've been able to use the incline treadmill several times in recent years for hard workouts even when otherwise injured and unable to run, and I use the 1 vertical mile workout as a fitness gauge from one year to the next.

Retired &  Loving It

mikeymike

Nothing that exciting; this was indoors at the rec center on a Freemotion Incline Treadmill - I don't know of any run-able trails that steep in this area. I've been able to use the incline treadmill several times in recent years for hard workouts even when otherwise injured and unable to run, and I use the 1 vertical mile workout as a fitness gauge from one year to the next.

I'm no trigonometry major but I think you're short changing yourself. If you ran a vertical mile (side a) at 30% grade (angle a) then the distance you ran (side c) is 2 miles.

Runners run

mikeymike

Oh and to contribute on topic, I raced a 1600m on the tack last Saturday as part of a marathon relay with my club. My split for 1600 was 5:07.9, which, given that I was past the end of my racing season and completely burned out, was okay. I may try and run a road mile later in the summer, depending on how my training is coming together.

Runners run

omg ouch! That is tough.

they have a vertical km race in Vail, and similar events at other places. Those are brutal but you get a great view.

I have hopped in a couple of track miles recently and am trying to train for a road mile in August. Reading this thread makes me want to run a mile like an idiot. So far my first lap has been way too conservative (first lap 409m):

76, 75, 73, 68 - 4:52

76, 73, 72, 67 - 4:48

I wonder what would happen if I went out in 70 or 71.

--

Nashville, TN

Joann Y

Running my first mile race on the track tonight. Not sure how to approach it other than to run at what I think is mile race pace. Any words of advice? Looks like a bunch of teenagers show up for these things and I haven't been on the track in over 20 years....makes me a bit nervous. Goal <6:50. I think that is conservative but what do I know! Wish me luck.

joescott

Good luck!  Go fast!

- Joe

We are fragile creatures on collision with our judgment day.

Feeling the growl again

It'll be a lot faster than you will run for your other mile on Saturday, but good practice.  Big grin

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I am spaniel - Crusher of Treadmills

LedLincoln

not bad for mile 25

Running my first mile race on the track tonight. Not sure how to approach it other than to run at what I think is mile race pace. Any words of advice? Looks like a bunch of teenagers show up for these things and I haven't been on the track in over 20 years....makes me a bit nervous. Goal <6:50. I think that is conservative but what do I know! Wish me luck.

That's what I did the other day.  The track mile (1500m, actually) came out slower than an earlier road mile. Sad

Good luck, and beat all the whippersnappers you can!

Latent Runner

My last mile on a track was in the spring of 1975; I'm thinking I'd be afraid to even venture onto a track these days, much less try and race a one mile event.  Smile

Fat old man PRs:

• 1-mile (point to point, gravity assist): 5:50
                      • 2-mile: 13:49
                      • 5K (gravity assist last mile): 21:31
                      • 5-Mile: 37:24
                      • 10K (first 10K of my Half Marathon): 48:16
                      • 10-Mile (first 10 miles of my Half Marathon): 1:17:40
                      • Half Marathon: 1:42:13
                      Joann Y

Ha! Thanks guys. Those whippersnappers don't know what they got coming.

Spaniel, if I can successfully complete the mile on Saturday, that will be an accomplishment. If nothing else, it should be entertaining for the rest of you jerks to watch me make a fool of myself.

Latent Runner

If nothing else, it should be entertaining for the rest of you jerks to watch me make a fool of myself.

Hey, I resemble that remark!  Smile

Fat old man PRs:

• 1-mile (point to point, gravity assist): 5:50
                          • 2-mile: 13:49
                          • 5K (gravity assist last mile): 21:31
                          • 5-Mile: 37:24
                          • 10K (first 10K of my Half Marathon): 48:16
                          • 10-Mile (first 10 miles of my Half Marathon): 1:17:40
                          • Half Marathon: 1:42:13
                          NJRunner24

Hey guys, new to this community but have been reading here for a while now..

I have a 1 mile run as the first part of a comprehensive physical fitness exam for a local PD. Little background, I ran cross country and track in high school. Usually ran 19-20 minute 5k's depending on trail and 55-60s 400m. I am now 28 and stayed in relatively good shape.

The mile is 3 weeks out and I want to maximize my potential to run the best I can. I have been running intervals with short sprints (20s) and walking for a minute, then repeat for about 1.5-2 miles. Also work in some long distance for cardio. I feel I need help with breathing, my occasional diaphragm cramping, and I guess pre-run routine. Should I take off from exercising the day before the race? The race is at 9am, what should I consume and when, and what would be the most preferable warmup?

Help me out, guys!

Just a dude.

With 3 weeks to go, there isn't a ton you can do.

I'd recommend just working on endurance. Can you run 3-6 miles now? Do that like 3-4 days a week, with a day off or something really easy between.

The cramping thing could be a couple things. Make sure you aren't running with too much food/liquids. Try to relax as much as possible. If those don't help, then probably just general conditioning will, which might not happen in 3 weeks.

On the day before, I would probably jog 5-15 minutes, and do 2 or 3 strides to loosen up. Not much else.

Before a run like that, I would probably eat something light for breakfast at maybe 7. Maybe just a bagel or something like that. 15-20 minutes before the event, I'd jog around for probably 5 minutes and do a couple strides. Maybe a stretch or two if you are feeling tight, but don't over do it... Just enough to get the blood flowing.

My brother did a similar trial when he went through the academy for the highway patrol here. One of the challenges for him was that they ran a lot people on a track together. It was hard to navigate through everyone. He ended up running most of it in lane 3. Stay as relaxed as possible and be patient. If you are in a similar situation it will probably cost you a few seconds a lap...

-Kelly

Getting back in shape... Just need it to be a skinnier shape... 

NJRunner24

Thanks for the advice, Kelly!

I can run 3-6 miles. I do about 3-4 usually 3 times a week..