Virtual Runs (Read 217 times)

rrr0005

I'm just curious. What is your take on virtual runs?

I'm some what of a bling snob, I love the medals. Many of the virtual runs have medals when you complete them, but I feel like they not as special as earning them on race day. I guess I view it like earning a medal for training rather than earning it for training and completing the race.

This may be a dumb post, but I am curious how others think about it.

I'm not sure what to think brah. Virtual race on a treadmill? Sounds pretty cool, i guess. They make a Virtual race through Southy, if you don't get shot, you win.

kilkee

runktrun

My take is that they are revenue generators for companies to cash in on the burning desire for many people in our society to feel like winners...without actually putting in much effort.  But hey, if you like how the metal is shaped and want to pay for the design, go for it.

Not running for my health, but in spite of it.

Half Crazy K 2.0

I work for a non-profit, so my take my be slightly different. If you can get people to register (and donate) and feel like a part of the event, then go for it.  For 2 running events that benefit my work, there is a "snore" option, you pay and get the t-shirt.

I do get annoyed when searching for races and getting all sorts of virtual options. I quit using Active because it seemed like these virtual events listed every.single.city within a 50 mile radius of Baltimore as a separate listing.

rrr0005

To me, it is kinda like cheating. I would rather go through the whole process of training AND finishing the race before I get any kind of medal. If anything, I think the 66 mile or run the year challenges would be good virtual challenges. Thank for your feedback everyone, I think we are all on the same page.

rlopez

...then there are those of us who really aren't in it for the medal. The whole reason virtual runs have become "a thing" (either as a plus (charity fundraiser) or a ??? (for-profit venture) is because apparently people just gotta have them medals.  The whole medal thing has gone nuts.

Kalsarikännit

Everyone here is welcome to PM me their running goals. If you hit them, I will mail you a slightly used *100% REAL MARATHON MEDAL* (!!!!!!) to commemorate their special achievement, for the very reasonable price of $75.

I want to do it because I want to do it.  -Amelia Earhart

#artbydmcbride

<tempted>   Is there one with Mickey Mouse on it?

Runners run

CanadianMeg

#RunEveryDay

I've done one virtual run (10 miler) because a friend was organizing it and I did it to support her. Otherwise, I'm not interested. What I enjoy about a race is being out there with a crowd of other runners all trying to finish. A virtual run is lacking that.

Half Fanatic #9292. 

Game Admin for RA Running Game 2023.

Everyone here is welcome to PM me their running goals. If you hit them, I will mail you a slightly used *100% REAL MARATHON MEDAL* (!!!!!!) to commemorate their special achievement, for the very reasonable price of $75.

If you have one with a BQ in it, I'll take that one tyvm. I'm sure the BAA would be fine with that.

Dave

LedLincoln

not bad for mile 25

If you have one with a BQ in it, I'll take that one tyvm. I'm sure the BAA would be fine with that.

It's gotta be a certified virtual course.

Kalsarikännit

The Pikes Peak medal has over TWO BQ times in it!

$150. Thanks

Kalsarikännit

<tempted>   Is there one with Mickey Mouse on it?

How about a flying monkey?  I'll pay you to take that one.

mikeymike

Forget the BQ and go straight to the medal. I've got various sizes (from the 2001 medal that was regular race medal size, up to the 2015 medal that's basically the size of a salad plate) of Boston Finishers medals: $149 ea.

Runners run

Tar Heel Mom

kween

I never even heard of this. What the heck? You run a race on a TM? I try not to run even a mile on a TM, why would I run a whole race on one?

Nolite te bastardes carborundum.