Chi Running--any thoughts? (Read 1313 times)

mikeymike

But I am wary of the fact that correlation does not necessarily equal causation.
    Of course it does, Jeff. However on page one we learned that in one year trishierunner took 41 minutes off of her marathon time by NOT doing ChiRunning. On page two we learned that chi-tom-run took 30 minutes off of his marathon time in a year WITH ChiRunning. Therefore, NOT doing ChiRunning is a far superior plan than doing ChiRunning. By 11 minutes over the marathon distance, obviously. It's just simple math. BTW are you going to keep the Appalachian State logo all year now that big blue is on a roll?

Runners run

Eryn

As a runner/triathlete for over 25 yrs., having moved into endurance events in the recent years completeing numerous marathons and ultra events, I can say, my running has been taken to a whole new level as a direct result of ChiRunning. Specifically, I completed the Santa Catalina marathon (all off road hills) one week after my first Chi class and took nearly 30 mins off my time from the prior year.
      New member? No link to log or profile? Username coincidentally linked with current subject matter? <sniff> is that some sort of rodent? Surprised</sniff>

Some runners drag a tire. I drag a Great Pyrenees.

jEfFgObLuE

I've got a fever...

BTW are you going to keep the Appalachian State logo all year now that big blue is on a roll?
        Yep. And the shirt I wore for those first two games stays in a heap in the corner, untouched. I was going to wash it, but I decided that a) I didn't want to contaminate the wash and b) cleaning it may render its current power as a reverse jinx useless. All of this pale in comparison to the stuff I used to do. Bear in mind that I was in the Michigan Marching Band while in school; the first few seasons after graduating, I felt that the only way to guarantee victory was to go to an empty football field the night before the game and march through my old spot in the pre-game show. Now, I focus primarily on the influence of facial hair, apparel, and bathing as it pertains to football excellence. That 1997 thing was real BTW. The one morning that I didn't shower and shave, we were losing 21-7 at halftime to Iowa. I showered and shaved at halftime, and we went on to win 28-24. Actual. Scientific. Data. Tongue

On your deathbed, you won't wish that you'd spent more time at the office.  But you will wish that you'd spent more time running.  Because if you had, you wouldn't be on your deathbed.

chi-tom-run

No, no coincidence, I own the domain name, easily verified, site not developed yet as it's new. I can say, I was sent the link to this site by a friend who has seen huge improvements due to ChiRunning herself. So has everyone I've coached. The flavor here tho is not very appealing..........I'm not looking to convince anyone, ever. I became a coach only because it impacted my running so much & I knew I could help others. I DID have an open mind however when I first learned of the technique. And still do today, about life in general. Does not feel that way here tho', lol....interesting welcome. And btw, very true, ChiRunning did not make the complete difference, but sure helped out.
          jEfFgObLuE

I've got a fever...

Chi-tom, We've had our share of people posting purely just to hawk their wares (while claiming simply to be satisfied users), so we can be a skeptical bunch. As I said before, I'm neither pro nor anti-chi running. I was just skeptical of the one-week claim. But we definitely welcome your input. And I'm glad the chi-running has been successful for you. Cheers, Jeff

On your deathbed, you won't wish that you'd spent more time at the office.  But you will wish that you'd spent more time running.  Because if you had, you wouldn't be on your deathbed.

chi-tom-run

No problems Jeff, there are always some who are more friendly than others........and I have plently of new clients, not looking for that. Am interested in recovery and endurance training/events. Not seeing a bunch of recovery, but not spent tons of time here yet in all fairness.
                Am interested in recovery and endurance training/events. Not seeing a bunch of recovery, but not spent tons of time here yet in all fairness.
                What kind of recovery are you looking for (how people recover, how long people take to recover, recovery time for certain distance, etc)? As for endurance training/ events, do you mean HMs, marathons, ultras, ironmans, etc.?
                2009: BQ?

Why is it sideways?

Chi-Tom, If you are interested in contributing to the thread, you might take a look at the OP's log. It might put some of the comments into context. If you, as a coach, had a runner come to you and say I think that the reason I wasn't able to reach my marathon goal was my form, and then the runner told you that he had been running around 20 miles per week, would you agree that his primary problem was his running form, particularly if you had never seen him run?
                  mikeymike

Gee wiz, sorry tom. But it's just that your first post ever on this site was lamenting all the negative comments about ChiRunning by people who knew nothing about it--when in fact the comments seemed to fall equally on both sides up until then. Then when asked what ChiRunning was all about, you only gave some resume details that included the kind of fantastic claims many of us have come to associate with snake oil salesmen, such as chopping a half hour off your marathon time as a direct result of a single ChiRunning class. These things plus the fact that your screen name is subject related and you have no public log or profile tend to cause people to get their guard up. Can you really blame them? You haven't really contributed anything to the conversation. Feel free to join in.

Runners run

I DID have an open mind however when I first learned of the technique. And still do today, about life in general. Does not feel that way here tho', lol....interesting welcome.
                      I think it's pretty evenly split on those that agree with it and those that don't. Sounds pretty open minded to me. Also, the majority of those that disagree with it have actually read the book. Sorry if that doesn't sound open minded to you - hang out for a while and you will see that we are a pretty open minded bunch.

When it’s all said and done, will you have said more than you’ve done?

Scout7

I only take issue with something like this when it is presented as being the SOLE cause for a person's improvement, and then gets a blanket application to everyone else. While I'm quite sure that people who have read/attended training for Chi Running have been helped by it, there are people who have been negatively impacted as well. Some people develop injuries related to the change in form. My point is, the basic tenets of it are sound. I just disagree with the idea that it can be applied to everyone equally. I'm also willing to bet that improvement has more to do with someone's training, and less to do with harnessing their chi.
                        chi-tom-run

Mike, here is the direct quote: "my running has been taken to a whole new level as a direct result of ChiRunning." if you were to read in my next post, I further clarified. Being new, I posted in a thread I thought I would enjoy, rather than going to do my profile first. I've added some info there now, but no real need to hang much with neg folks thx. YOU drew the conclusion you did all on your own, as I seach for your positive input, I must keep searching and searching, oh and searching........... still searching!
                          chi-tom-run

still searching!
                            chi-tom-run

still searching! lmao, anyway, best to you!

Why is it sideways?

Found. Roll eyes
                                Maybe because the original poster's question was only partly about ChiRunning and had more to do with taking his marathon time from 4:53 to 4:00. The path to improving race times is well worn and does not require ChiRunning. One doesn't need to know first hand exactly what ChiRunning is all about to know that. There are parts of ChiRunning's basic premises that I agree with. Running is very natural. Children do tend to do it better than adults. Focusing, body sensing, breathing and relaxing are all good things while running (which is why I find it ironic that some of ChiRunning's proponents ALSO use HRMs and iPods but that's another story.) But ChiRunning quickly gets off the rails from posture, breathing and relaxing and into fanciful claims about running at your current level with 30% of your current energy output, and running faster and farther with less effort. These claims are directly targeted at our collective instant gratification impulses. Experienced runners who know what it takes to run injury free and to improve race performances over the long term see this for what it is--another marketing scheme targeted at people beginning running later in life with more money than time and wanting instant results. There is probably some value in runners actually learning Tai Chi (or yoga for that matter.) Balance, relaxation, posture, core strength--these are all good things. But ChiRunning looks and smells like a marketing scheme designed to separate insecure newbie runners from their dollars.