First 5K 1-12-08--- race report (Read 475 times)

I started running in october 2007, and I ran in my first 5K this weekend!! I thought I'd share my story because some of it was pretty funny (at least I thought so... Smile It was a small race to benefit a local parks and recreation department in a town about 30-40 minutes from where I live, and it started at 8:30AM. My husband and I got up around 6 to get dressed and then get the boys (3 and 11 months) up, and the plan was to leave at 7AM. All was going smoothly, and I was in charge of the baby. I had just bought him some new clothes in the next size up, and I thought I'd put him in one fo the new outfits. I got out my favorite and started putting it on him. Just as I was snapping the last snap, I realized that the onesie was covered in turtles!!! I laughed and told my husband that I hoped it wasn't a sign of the race results! Why didn't I buy a onsie with a race car on it?? He pulled out another one to put on him just so it would make me feel "speedier", and the next one had a snail on it!! Great. Roll eyes So, we stuck with the turtles, and we were loaded up in the car and one the road right on time. We stopped at a fast food place to get my husband some coffee and breakfast for the 3 year old, and off we went. As we were passing about the half way mark, my car started making this awful banging noise. Sounded sort of like a tire was going to blow, or something had broken. We got out and looked, couldn't see anything, so we decided to keep going and see what happens. Well, it got worse. A lot worse. We had to turn around to go get the truck. So, my husband turned around and drove as fast as we could safely go with the banging vehicle back to the house. Car seats in the truck, stroller, diaper bag, kids, us Tongue.. ok, now we're ready. Out the driveway and back on the road. 7:45 AM. 45 minutes till race starts. Husband driving faster this time. I had originally wanted to get there no later than 8AM to check in, warmup and keep my jitters in check. I am always worried that I'm going to be late when I go somewhere. I hate to be late, so at this point I had so many butterflies in m stomach, I thought I was going to take off and fly. We'll be lucky to get there by 8:15. We passed the county line, so we had 10 miles to go. Husband driving about 75 in a 45mph zone to get us there. Then, you guessed it... we got pulled over ARRRRGGGGH! The cop said **insert VERY slow southern accent here** "sir, is there some reason you were driving so fast? Are you late to work, a funeral or something?" (did he just say funeral??? Confused it's 8am!) husband said "no reason you'd want to hear-- we're late to the race in town, and we're not sure where we're going". **sarcastic drawl** " The race hasn't started yet!" I was so aggravated! Just write the ticket for crying out loud! Angry I mean, really... I have an accent, too, but man, this guy talked slow. Back on the road-- 8:10AM. At this point, I said " let's just go watch. I don't think we're going to make it. I'll just find another first race to do in a couple of weeks". But nope, husand was going to get us there. Pulled in at 8:25AM. Rushed to the table, checked in and pinned my bib on as I did a warmup jog around the driveway of the parks and rec center. Just as I was jogging back to the front of the building, they were calling for us to line up. I had been running aroud a 10:30 mile, so I lined up near the back so I wouldn't start out too fast. It was a "ready, set, go" start, and off we went. I said a silent prayer that for once, bad things don't happen in three's- please no broken ankle, dog bites, falls with road rash, etc. I think I paced myself pretty well. I felt good around the one mile mark, and I didn't want to expel too much energy since we didn't get there in time to check out the course. First half was pretty flat thru a nice residential area. Feeling good. We ran back by the starting line, and my guys were waiting on me to cheer me on. I was wearing a fuschia Nike t shirt and my tempo shorts so they could spot me from a long ways away. I could hear my 3 year old yelling- Daddy! The pink shirt! There she is! Go mommy GO! (just like we rehearsed Big grin) It felt so good to see them. I was so proud, I almost cried! I usually run really early in the morning before they get up, so in a way I was proving to the world AND my family that I really can do this. They had never seen me run before. Three year old was a great cheerleader and 11 month old was smiling so big in the stroller and husband was snapping pictures left and right. Mile and a half to go. Race coordinator was a mean, mean man. Look at these 2 hills. ugh. First one was past the funeral home and the cemetary Smile up a long hill. Turn around the trash can at the top and come backdown. Thank God for downhills. Then back up "Mt Everest" and around the corner to the finish line. I was feeling pretty strong coming up Everest, so I tried to keep my pace up so I wouldn't fall behind. After a quick look over my shoulder, still a lot a people behind me (good! I'm not going to be last-- that was one of my 2 goals--turtle onsie or not). Rounded the corner at the top of Everest and finish line here I come! When I could see the finish line really well, they had one of those digital clocks that we were to run under. I couldn't believe it! I was going to do it in under 30 minutes!! I started running as fast as I could and came in somewhere around 29:30 (results not posted yet). 3 year old jumping up and down again yelling go mommy go! husband practically doing the same thing! I was so happy I could just bust with excitement, pride, you name it. My splits on my watch were Mile one-- 9:23, mile 2-- 9:59 and mile 3--9:15. Husband counted that I was the 9th place female and I came in second in my age group ! Big grin This was such a great experience. I can't wait to do it again. What I learned--- always leave much earlier than you need to, buy baby clothes with race cars, airplanes, jack rabbits, something to make you feel fast, and don't get your hair trimmed the day before a race, because you might not be able to pull it back in a pony tail and it will get on your nerves the whole race. And, of coarse, have fun!!! --Anna

Another Passion

What a great, and comical (well, at least to me cause I wasn't the one that got the ticket!), race report. Congrats on an awesome first 5K race Patty! Well done! Big grin

Rick
      "The will to win means nothing without the will to prepare." - Juma Ikangaa
      "I wanna go fast." Ricky Bobby
      runningforcassy.blogspot.com

jeffdonahue

Nice job. I remember my first 5K. My wife and daughter were there holding signs. My wife was pregnant with my son at the time and she had a sign on her belly that read "Go Daddy". Of course I was so wiped at the end and just trying to get across the finish line that I never saw them until after I was done. Great job - keep up the good work.
          Excellent report and congrats on a great PR. That's fantastic that your family was there cheering you on.

"Good-looking people have no spine. Their art never lasts. They get the girls, but we're smarter." - Lester Bangs

Great job pacing your first race! I loved reading the report, thanks for sharing. And of course the question is... what race is next for you? Smile
              Super job. Hopefully one of many---and--way down the road your grandchildren will come watch you run. Better yet--they will run with you. Nick
                Great race! Luckily your husband had nothing to do with your pre-race jitters and got you to the start line on time Wink
                keep running!
                  Great job on your first 5K!!! Cool modal (who assumes you all got a ticket...)

Vim

Awesome race report!! Congrats on running your first race!! Are you addicted yet? By the way, I know a good lawyer if you want that ticket fixed! Wink Sara
                    obiebyke

Loved the report. It made me excited to do my first race. Congrats!

Call me Ray (not Ishmael)

AnneCA

Great report! I'm such a sucker for being cheered on by my kids. Thanks for sharing, and congrats on the wonderful race!!!!
                          Ha that's hilarious!! I bet all that pre-race fiasco got your adrenaline flowing well for the race! Great time! Big grin
                          ---- Cynthia
                            Thanks to all of you for the replies and support. And, yes, we did get a ticket, I am addicted, and my 3 year old wants to run the next one with me. Big grin Maybe we could work up to a mile for him before long. Fortunately, this is a busy race season here in South GA, so I have a lot of races coming up soon to enter. Can't wait till the next one, and hopefully a 10K in a few months. Sholtman-- I had to look at your profile after I read your response. I thought, "does she know me?" My husband is an attorney, too, so it took me a minute to figure out you were talking about you and not him Big grin He has a knack of getting himself out of speeding tickets, but we'll see. Smile
                            Ringmaster

P. Patty, what a great race report! I started running pretty recently too, and I run in the pre-dawn, while my 4-yo and my 2-yo are still sleeping. My first race was a 5K. It was the first time the two of them had ever seen me run. I too was running in a fuschia Nike top, and they yelled, GO MOM GO! Nothing like your babies cheering you on! Yes, the 4-year-old wants to run the next one with me. She doesn't quite grasp the distance of a half-marathon, so she was bummed when I told her she couldn't run this one with me, but I hope she'll do a miler with me before too long. But no, I didn't get a ticket on the way to my first race. I went by myself, and hubby and the kids came after. I'm glad all the obstacles (including the turtles on the onesie) didn't slow you down. Congrats--and GO MOM GO!

Let us run with perseverance the race marked out for us. (Heb. 12:1b)
                              Mile by Mile