Fluid Replacement Drinks??? (Read 1058 times)

I came across this article on Greg McMillan's running site. http://www.mcmillanrunning.com/rununiv/marathonlongrun.htm He's basically suggesting not to take any carbs on long runs so that your body adapts to working at low sugar levels. At race time and fast finish long run workouts, you take carbs to get the extra boost. He hasn't seen any research proving or disproving this but he's witnessed it working as a trainer. It makes sense to me. I once read about high altitude climbers doing starvation training so that they can tackle long treks without carrying too much. Any opinion on this method? One bit I don't understand is that he still suggests drinking water and electrolytes on these runs. However, can you get sugar free electrolyte drinks? - R
    Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

I often run long runs with no calories whatsoever. If you are running in your aerobic zone (i.e., not running too hard) you will be burning fat preferential to glycogen. You have essentially unlimited fat calories in your body. You should therefore not need additional calories. If however you are running at 80%ish effort or more, you will be burning more glycogen and will therefore risk running out your glycogen. In this case, added energy sources while running long distance will be helpful. I would not worry about the calories in sports drinks. Sure, most have them to varying degrees (except Propel, which has sucralose, yech), but the caloric density is very low.