Speaker for running? (Read 162 times)

Not dead. Yet.

It ain't got no picture tube, but its got a heck of a sound.

I like it, but lugging that thing around would be like the guy with the boom box.  I am thinking of something the size of a cigarette pack, that can make just enough sound for me on a quiet run.  Louder than a cell phone, but not loud enough to piss Spaniel off.

There must be something that already exists.  I will begin looking.

How can we know our limits if we don't test them?

GC100k

If I were fortunate enough to get to enjoy a nice trail run, and some fool came along blasting a speaker, I'd probably hip-check them into a tree.

Oh no, we have an

tough

Feeling the growl again

Oh no, we have an

tough

Y'ain't to sharp on the whole "get off my lawn" concept, are ya?

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I am spaniel - Crusher of Treadmills

Nobody seems to mind this guy who skates around Venice beach with his guitar humming out of a Pignose for everyone around to hear.

How is trail running any different?!

Harry Perry

If you consider that environment trail running, then have at it in those environments. You won't be anywhere near me.

It's rude enough that people use headphones, so I have to repeat a comment that there's a bear or moose in the direction they are headed. But at least I can't hear the headphones. I think fewer than 10% of the trail users around here use headphones. I have heard people on cell phones, and I'll speed up to get the heck out of hearing range of them.

Many people run on real trails (dirt with trees or above treeline or in sagebrush or cacti or whatever) to get away from noise.

When I saw the title, I thought you were looking for a speaker for a school assembly or group to talk to kids about running.

"So many people get stuck in the routine of life that their dreams waste away. This is about living the dream." - Cave Dog
          cookiemonster

Connoisseur of Cookies

Nobody seems to mind this guy who skates around Venice beach with his guitar humming out of a Pignose for everyone around to hear.

How is trail running any different?!

Harry Perry

This is not even remotely close to trail running.

Apples and oranges, dude.  Apples and oranges.

***************************************************************************************

"C" is for cookie.  That's good enough for me.

My leg won't stop mooing.

i think i've got a calf injury.

northernman

Fight The Future

If I were fortunate enough to get to enjoy a nice trail run, and some fool came along blasting a speaker, I'd probably hip-check them into a tree.

This.

Runner100

I've never been able to get my head around wanting to play music on an outside run, especially on a trail. I'm not  judging, I just don't understand it. The other day, I was chilling at our neighborhood pool, just the sounds of the birds and the water and the kids. My extroverted neighbor shows up and says "it's so quiet...need some music..." and proceeds to blare some horrific music. It was As if the low noise level and tranquility was anathema to him. Maybe it's the same for some of those who want to play music on trails. Again, I'm not judging, I'd just like  to understand it better.

Julia1971

I've never been able to get my head around wanting to play music on an outside run, especially on a trail. I'm not  judging, I just don't understand it. The other day, I was chilling at our neighborhood pool, just the sounds of the birds and the water and the kids. My extroverted neighbor shows up and says "it's so quiet...need some music..." and proceeds to blare some horrific music. It was As if the low noise level and tranquility was anathema to him. Maybe it's the same for some of those who want to play music on trails. Again, I'm not judging, I'd just like  to understand it better.

I almost always run with music.  But, I don't particularly enjoy the outdoors, though - probably because I'm allergic to every tree, grass, and animal on the planet - so I wouldn't be out there disrupting those who want to hear the sounds of nature.  Smile  But, yeah, I would think it pretty rude to disrupt others enjoyment by playing music out loud...  As far as understanding it, it could be that the runner appreciates the fresh air and beautiful views but not so much the quiet.  And/or, the runner finds that music actually enhances the experience of being in nature.  Music can be hypnotic in a way that can make you experience things in a way you wouldn't otherwise.  (That sounds like I'm writing about a drug, but I'm not.  I don't think).

Not dead. Yet.

I've never been able to get my head around wanting to play music on an outside run, especially on a trail. I'm not  judging, I just don't understand it. ... proceeds to blare some horrific music. ... Again, I'm not judging, I'd just like  to understand it better.

Music speaks to my soul.  It motivates me.  It helps me to understand different points of view and makes me feel emotion.  I understand that not everyone gets the same enjoyment out of music and I respect that.  It's also a very personal and subjective taste so even if two people have the same love of music itself, it is rare to find two that love the same kind of music.

I get it that nobody want's to hear my music.  Fine.  I will take that into account and keep the level low enough so that you can do your thing and I can do mine.  And when you do have to hear it, it will only be for a few short seconds, if at all.  I might just turn down the level as I pass you on the trail in case you are one of those cold-hearted music haters.  :P

Not dead. Yet.

seems there's a less obtrusive solution available than a boombox

I like the idea of the vest and the hats, but I can't imagine actually wearing them.  Thanks for digging that up.

GC100k

Mosquitoes, rocks, roots, horseflies, spider webs, mud, bikers, snakes, horses, loose dogs, people who want to stop and talk, confused foreigners who don't speak English, school groups, horse poop, dog poop, people poop, more snakes, more horseflies, poison ivy, thorns, burrs, low branches, overgrowth, stumps, rednecks, ticks, chiggers, cruisers, rain, heat, flooded creeks, leeches, beer bottles, barbed wire, hail, ice, territorial birds, rotting carcasses, cows, rabid raccoons, hunters, and people playing music outloud while running,

That's a partial list of annoyances on the trail.  The last one is the only one I have not actually encountered.  A couple seconds of someone playing audible music would be way down the list of annoyances.  I love the peace and serenity of trails, but the idea of it being 100% an idyllic repose from the harsh world interrupted by a few seconds of someone's tiny shoulder speakers is kinda funny.  I might find it mildly annoying, but I wouldn't commit physical violence against them*, and again, it wouldn't be high on the list.

I've been around my most common trail maybe a thousand times, most without headphones.  I've heard everything that can be heard and if by wearing headphones I miss some new buzzing insect, I can live with that.

*In 25 years of running:

number of times someone on an internet forum has threatened physical violence against someone who mildly inconveniences them on a run = bazillion (maybe more)

number of times I've seen this happen in real life = 0

p.s., wait for it.

Feeling the growl again

*In 25 years of running:

number of times someone on an internet forum has threatened physical violence against someone who mildly inconveniences them on a run = bazillion (maybe more)

number of times I've seen this happen in real life = 0

p.s., wait for it.

It happens.

And if you think anyone was actually threatened with violence in this thread, you need to jiggle the wire on your sense of humor because I think it came loose.

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I am spaniel - Crusher of Treadmills

Not dead. Yet.

And if you think anyone was actually threatened with violence in this thread, you need to jiggle the wire on your sense of humor because I think it came loose.

I took it as a joke.  Even gave you a smiley face after you told me you would hip check me.  Then you made it clear that it wasn't a joke a few posts later.

Spare me on the "just try it" chest fluffing, it is pretty obvious this was a get off my lawn type comment and you don't know me, it is silly to start chest thumping on how it would result.

Or maybe you just need to jiggle the wire on your sense of humor... I think it's clear who it is getting their tailfeathers all bunched up.